XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition!
#307294 - 04/15/13 01:35 AM

Done by Clay Cowgill,

http://www.multigame.com/dkp_arcade.html

And looks like it WILL be at an arcade (Ground Kontrol) so I guess that means it will go into MAME as a clone??....

EDIT: Also MAME Devs, check out Clay's note to you at the very bottom. Not sure if it's important, but it's there...

Edited by XtraSmiley (04/15/13 01:36 AM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#307297 - 04/15/13 02:05 AM

> Done by Clay Cowgill,
>
> http://www.multigame.com/dkp_arcade.html

Great read.

The "INTEND" tamper protection is cute.

S

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#307300 - 04/15/13 04:01 AM

> Done by Clay Cowgill,
>
> http://www.multigame.com/dkp_arcade.html
>
> And looks like it WILL be at an arcade (Ground Kontrol) so I guess that means it will
> go into MAME as a clone??....
>
> EDIT: Also MAME Devs, check out Clay's note to you at the very bottom. Not sure if
> it's important, but it's there...

Very nice work there, and a good explanation of the investigation that was done.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Cool. new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#307304 - 04/15/13 04:57 AM

This should be added in the HBMAME not MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

LongJohns
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/07
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: Dullaron]
#307314 - 04/15/13 02:41 PM

IMHO MAME is already full of hacks/etc games that adding this one really wouldn't be any different.

Just saying...

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: LongJohns]
#307315 - 04/15/13 03:02 PM

Well, this hack will actually be in an arcade earning money (or is right now) so I think THAT is the requirement for MAME right?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#307318 - 04/15/13 03:47 PM

It seems to be one of them, the other being if something is sold or not. I can't tell if he's selling this or just talking about it. At any rate changing Mario's running graphics is one of the least interesting things I have ever seen done in a hack and I don't understand the public's fascination with it beyond something cool a dad did for his daughter. Beyond thinking what a cool dad, I wouldn't even download it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#307320 - 04/15/13 05:59 PM

> And looks like it WILL be at an arcade (Ground Kontrol) so I guess that means it will
> go into MAME as a clone??....

I kind of enjoy that every bedroom hacker on the planet now tries to get their shit on location so that Pokeroms can then argue that it must go into MAME.

Hopefully he's not actually accepting real currency for playing it. I don't think the Ground Kontrol guys are that stupid though.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#307327 - 04/15/13 06:56 PM

Do you think Nintendo has Portland agents worried about 30 year old games or something? I've seen bootlegs there before, a multi shootie with Dragon Blaze and others, this is no different. If Jeff couldn't get a response from Nintendo about D2K (which he sold), there's pretty much no chance this would bring worse.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#307328 - 04/15/13 07:06 PM

> > And looks like it WILL be at an arcade (Ground Kontrol) so I guess that means it
> will
> > go into MAME as a clone??....
>
> I kind of enjoy that every bedroom hacker on the planet now tries to get their shit
> on location so that Pokeroms can then argue that it must go into MAME.
>
> Hopefully he's not actually accepting real currency for playing it. I don't think the
> Ground Kontrol guys are that stupid though.

Considering he's the founder and owner of GK... he is?!?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#307329 - 04/15/13 07:09 PM

> Do you think Nintendo has Portland agents worried about 30 year old games or
> something? I've seen bootlegs there before, a multi shootie with Dragon Blaze and
> others, this is no different. If Jeff couldn't get a response from Nintendo about D2K
> (which he sold), there's pretty much no chance this would bring worse.

Maybe they've mellowed more recently, but I seem to recall that Nintendo was one of the most litigious game companies back in the day. I remember several fairly obscure ROM sites getting slapped with C&Ds for carrying Nintendo ROMS. So they did have someone worrying about old games, at least at one time. Also, this particular hack has gotten a *lot* of press on the internets (relatively speaking), which probably makes it a little more likely that Nintendo would hear about it and decide to get involved.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#307330 - 04/15/13 07:14 PM

Aweshum!

Great to see someone with the right skills got the colors correct.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: DMala]
#307331 - 04/15/13 07:16 PM

The NES one got attention and I haven't heard any backlash from Nintendo about it. I know about their past. He's not running a rom site though, giving away their games. It looks like there's maybe going to be 1 machine in Portland running DK with changed graphics. I don't see what loss Nintendo would be incurring because of it. The only thing it will do is make DK more popular. D2K has been for sale for years. There are sites that sell NES carts with programs that were extracted from the Wii dlc crap. Nintendo hasn't said a word about any of it that I have heard.

Also go look at his website. He made multi/enhancement kits for over a decade. All illegal technically, and all nobody gave a shit enough to sue.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#307344 - 04/15/13 11:22 PM

> Well, this hack will actually be in an arcade earning money (or is right now) so I
> think THAT is the requirement for MAME right?

We don't have explicit requirements, to avoid people complaining if we don't follow them.

However if we did have that requirement and it did meet the requirement, then it would probably be considered too new to be added to MAME.

You can't game the system.

Edited by smf (04/15/13 11:26 PM)

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#307350 - 04/16/13 12:28 AM

> It seems to be one of them, the other being if something is sold or not. I can't tell
> if he's selling this or just talking about it. At any rate changing Mario's running
> graphics is one of the least interesting things I have ever seen done in a hack and I
> don't understand the public's fascination with it beyond something cool a dad did for
> his daughter. Beyond thinking what a cool dad, I wouldn't even download it.

Ditto... it's fun, but seeing as how it doesn't effect gameplay in any way it's rather lame as a hack.

Oh but the feminists have went nuts on this one. "FINALLY a game that allows for a woman heroine!" they say. And over at Kotaku I pointed out that a metric ton of games have either a female protagonist or female co-stars and I was almost flamed to death. Because basically every female character that isn't 100% the feminist ideal role model "doesn't count".

Seriously, they act like men actually look up to a short, fat Italian stereotype or all the other equally flawed and ridiculous "role models" us guys get in games. It's just a video game, the lead is just an avatar... it could be a block of wood for all I care.

hmm.... Block of Wood Man does sound like it'd be a cool video game.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: ]
#307352 - 04/16/13 12:45 AM

>
> We don't have explicit requirements, to avoid people complaining if we don't follow
> them.
>

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: HowardC]
#307388 - 04/16/13 04:58 PM

> Ditto... it's fun, but seeing as how it doesn't effect gameplay in any way it's
> rather lame as a hack.

In fairness, 98% of the hacks out there since the beginning of time don't effect gameplay either, and this one has the advantage of being well done.

> "FINALLY a game that allows for a
> woman heroine!" they say. And over at Kotaku I pointed out that a metric ton of games
> have either a female protagonist or female co-stars and I was almost flamed to death.

Eventually you'll learn: don't read Kotaku, it's awful.

More pertinently, Nintendo's own Super Princess Peach (on the DS) flips the Mario formula on its head in a more interesting way than these graphics hacks. You play as Peach (complete with her unique physics from SMB 2), you have to save Mario, and she can do very limited RPG-like magic spells in addition to the standard platforming stuff.

> hmm.... Block of Wood Man does sound like it'd be a cool video game.

Wouldn't be any stranger than Super Meat Boy.

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#307397 - 04/16/13 08:50 PM

> > Ditto... it's fun, but seeing as how it doesn't effect gameplay in any way it's
> > rather lame as a hack.
>
> In fairness, 98% of the hacks out there since the beginning of time don't effect
> gameplay either, and this one has the advantage of being well done.
>
> > "FINALLY a game that allows for a
> > woman heroine!" they say. And over at Kotaku I pointed out that a metric ton of
> games
> > have either a female protagonist or female co-stars and I was almost flamed to
> death.
>
> Eventually you'll learn: don't read Kotaku, it's awful.
>
> More pertinently, Nintendo's own Super Princess Peach (on the DS) flips the Mario
> formula on its head in a more interesting way than these graphics hacks. You play as
> Peach (complete with her unique physics from SMB 2), you have to save Mario, and she
> can do very limited RPG-like magic spells in addition to the standard platforming
> stuff.
>
> > hmm.... Block of Wood Man does sound like it'd be a cool video game.
>
> Wouldn't be any stranger than Super Meat Boy.

I'll agree with that. I thought the animations were pretty impressive considering the limited sprites/space available. I wasn't knocking the effort, I just meant that it doesn't make the game anymore fun.

I agree that Kotaku is awful, but it's the only consolidated video game news source I'm aware of. The other sites only catch about 50% of the VG news.

I can see people not mentioning SPP though... all of her attacks and powers are emotion-based, so she's essentially using p.m.s. as a super power. Which I think is awesome, but some ladies might get upset over.

Expect a prototype for Block of Wood Man sometime in 2014.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#307412 - 04/17/13 01:55 AM

> More pertinently, Nintendo's own Super Princess Peach (on the DS) flips the Mario
> formula on its head in a more interesting way than these graphics hacks. You play as
> Peach (complete with her unique physics from SMB 2), you have to save Mario, and she
> can do very limited RPG-like magic spells in addition to the standard platforming
> stuff.

I liked Super Princess Peach, but it brought out the feminist rage as well: it's sexist because Peach's special powers (the "vibes") all involve getting emotional all of a sudden.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

#307439 - 04/17/13 03:21 PM

> However if we did have that requirement and it did meet the requirement, then it
> would probably be considered too new to be added to MAME.
>
> You can't game the system.

Well played sir, well played....

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#307443 - 04/17/13 04:24 PM

> I liked Super Princess Peach, but it brought out the feminist rage as well: it's
> sexist because Peach's special powers (the "vibes") all involve getting emotional all
> of a sudden.

To make it realistic she should have a witholding sex special move & the not telling you what is wrong because you should already know special move.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#307452 - 04/17/13 06:50 PM

> > I liked Super Princess Peach, but it brought out the feminist rage as well: it's
> > sexist because Peach's special powers (the "vibes") all involve getting emotional
> all
> > of a sudden.
>
> To make it realistic she should have a witholding sex special move & the not telling
> you what is wrong because you should already know special move.

LOL, perfect!!!

...but don't forget the ability to win an argumentation with logic flaws that just she can't (or don't want to) see, and the most powerful of all powers that a woman is able to summon:... THE CRYING.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Cool. new [Re: Ramirez]
#307460 - 04/17/13 10:19 PM

> > To make it realistic she should have a witholding sex special move & the not
> telling
> > you what is wrong because you should already know special move.
>
> LOL, perfect!!!
>
> ...but don't forget the ability to win an argumentation with logic flaws that just
> she can't (or don't want to) see, and the most powerful of all powers that a woman is
> able to summon:... THE CRYING.

Have you played the game at all? Being able to cry on demand _is_ one of her special moves. It makes her lighter (won't break some bridges) and run faster (can outrun faster enemies).

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

#307956 - 04/28/13 03:29 PM

Got to play the Pauline Edition last night at Ground Kontrol. Awesome hack!

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: Dan@Flyer Fever]
#307961 - 04/28/13 06:42 PM

> Got to play the Pauline Edition last night at Ground Kontrol. Awesome hack!

Ding, ding, ding!! I guess we have this to look forward to in MAME...

...in three years!!!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307962 - 04/28/13 06:48 PM

Did he release the roms? Edit, oh I see, he did end up releasing a patch a few days ago.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#307970 - 04/29/13 03:27 AM

It's pretty cool I just tried it in mame.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: joey35car]
#307978 - 04/29/13 06:01 AM

> It's pretty cool I just tried it in mame.

very nice. finally, it can be added to HBMAME.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: abelenki]
#307980 - 04/29/13 06:20 AM

Actually I think it can be added to regular mame. It's basically a clone hack like donkey kong 2: jumpman. It is in a real arcade board.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307981 - 04/29/13 06:47 AM

I don't know what the final decision on it will be but it doesn't have anything to do with D2K's situation and shouldn't be compared to it. That was made for sale and was sold, not to mention completely changed the game into a new one. This Pauline is a hack one guy made and burned onto one board. I have a Kicker board I'm burning Kung-Fu Johnny into, which fwiw has way more changes than this DK hack, and that doesn't mean it's going in mame because I burned it into a board. The fact that this was never sold and never had sale plans probably counts it out. Every game in mame has been sold or had plans to be (protos).

Pauline is the most overrated hack since Crazy Otto. Player haters unite.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#307982 - 04/29/13 06:54 AM

I agree it is overrated but either way it would be nice to see it in either HBmame or mame.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307983 - 04/29/13 06:56 AM

It'll definitely go in 1 of the 2. I just don't see it going into the regular mame unless people start selling it, and I don't see that happening. But who knows. I'd settle for people stopping talking about it. It's just so...overrated.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#307984 - 04/29/13 07:12 AM

OK lets talk about crazy otto. kiddin. Later I'm off to bed.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#307988 - 04/29/13 09:16 AM

> I agree it is overrated but either way it would be nice to see it in either HBmame or
> mame.

It is planned for HBMAME, however I'm not in a position right now to turn patches into roms. So if you want to see it i'll need some assistance. Problem solved.

Edited by Robbbert (04/29/13 09:53 AM)

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: Robbbert]
#307989 - 04/29/13 09:39 AM

> It is planned for HBMAME, however I'm not in a position right now to turn patches
> into roms. So if you want to see it i'll need some assistance.

done via IRC.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: Arcade Donkey Kong Pauline Edition! new [Re: abelenki]
#307994 - 04/29/13 11:36 AM

>
> done via IRC.

The game is running, release of HBMAME u4 scheduled for Wednesday.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308269 - 05/04/13 08:02 AM

EDIT: Never mind, not getting into this...

Enjoy it for what it is guys, I hope it makes it to MAME eventually!

Edited by XtraSmiley (05/04/13 08:10 AM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308277 - 05/04/13 02:18 PM

It's in HBMame

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6205