Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Blitz/NBA controller problem...
#316318 - 10/24/13 04:31 AM

Hey guys,
I took my control panel off to do a little clean up work on it. Went to plug it back in and now I have no joystick control at all. Buttons all work OK but it's a little hard to even get to the test menus with no joys. Oh yea, all controls for player 4 are also out.

Everything was labelled(and worked) correctly, then I plugged it back in the same way and no go. Any ideas??

I tried switching the DIP from 49 way to 8(it has the 49 sticks), nothing changed. Tried the 2P vs. 4P(it is) DIP same thing. Could the input/output controller board have just gone bad? It's got power going to it and I've checked the wiring diagrams. What am I missing? Something simple?

Thanks all...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#316325 - 10/24/13 06:41 AM

Check the 49way sticks to make sure they are getting power. I can't remember off hand what pin is power, and what the voltage is, but it should be either +5 or +12v DC.

Check all your grounding wires too. It's usually chained across all the buttons, and if the wire broke or something, it can make everything not work.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Reznor007]
#316359 - 10/25/13 05:01 AM

Checked the power. Got 5v to the controller board then just below 5v to each stick. Buttons all still work except for P4. Ground wire is good to go. I couldn't find anything coming from the output pins on the board. So I know going in and up to that point things check out. What kind of signal should be going out? I can't find and values on that.

Any other ideas?

TIA

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#316361 - 10/25/13 06:07 AM

I suppose you already checked the P7 connector on the SIO board, going to a connection labeled 11P5 in the manual, which then goes to the player 4 buttons?

Check the P1 and P2 on the I40 joystick board and make sure they are connected right.

The P4 buttons and all 4 joysticks not operating after moving the control panel seems like it would just be a loose connector somewhere, as the P4 buttons do not go through the I40 board, so even if that failed it shouldn't affect the buttons.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#316590 - 10/31/13 05:36 AM

I went ahead and basically ripped all the wiring out and checked it all & re-wired it, all while checking pins & power.
Didn't do anything except tidy up the wires. (Whoever wired this cab before me was a wire running maniac! EX: wires to the coin meters - 15' (yes feet...)long)

So, I turned on the deeper start tests and I am getting IRQ interrupt errors all over the place. Disk, ASCIO(?) & FIFO errors. Sounds like something else is wrong. But it still boots into the game just fine. Just can't play it...

Any other ideas? BTW, never seen this addressed before. Can these optical joys be used as regular 8 ways without the adapter boards?

Thanks for the time & suggestions.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#316593 - 10/31/13 06:19 AM

FIFO, IRQ, and disk errors is somewhat troubling.

Is the one error IOASIC? If so, I've seen that error happen when trying to get a Vegas board to boot a game that didn't match the security chip installed on the board. But with a matching game and chip, idk.

And no, the 49way sticks can't be used as standard sticks. At least not without some effort.

Try setting the machine to 8way sticks and disconnecting the I40 board, and run the test to see what happens.

Edited by Reznor007 (10/31/13 06:21 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#316631 - 10/31/13 09:02 PM

> I went ahead and basically ripped all the wiring out and checked it all & re-wired
> it, all while checking pins & power.
> Didn't do anything except tidy up the wires. (Whoever wired this cab before me was a
> wire running maniac! EX: wires to the coin meters - 15' (yes feet...)long)

Yikes! I'm surprised that worked, it would've been like an antenna for glitches.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#316862 - 11/04/13 06:14 AM

I think you figured out 1 of the problems. Security chip. I have 3 sets of chips. The guy before me had 2 sets, originals & set(w/HD) from the net somewhere. Problem is I don't know which are which. All say v2.7 and the one had a leg broken off . Smitdogg fixed that one the best he could and made a set of back-ups for me. Anyway, changed to the other original chip and that seems to have gotten rid of the FIFO and other boot problems except for the rom checksum & low CMOS battery.

Still no stick input though and nothing on P4 at all. Also, can't boot into NFL even with the dips, just goes to NBA. I've got the other HD here so I guess I'll take it with me Monday & swap em. See if this drive can do it. It says V3 on it, the other is not labeled.

Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow...

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#317507 - 11/18/13 02:41 AM

Got things rolling again.
I now have all the chips and stuff figured out correctly. This fixed the interupts, disk read, & FIFO errors-correct boot rom (V2.7) with v3 HD & security chip.
Still had watchdog error & cmos battery low errors. New battery fixed those 2 problems.
Controls still messed up but now I have a handle on that. Something is askew in the wiring. While tracing test switch & coin door wires back I accidentally moved some wires around (I was in test mode) and it started rolling though the choices. If I hit a button it would stop until released. Then 1P joystick right would move it down when pushed. So at least it IS working, just incorrectly. I guess I'll proceed to rewire controls until I find the right one or I'm done & it works. I'll start with the harness adapters & grounds first since it worked fine before and all I did was unplug them last year. (I already checked them before but it's obviously 1 of those things that you can't just see.)
At least I know WHAT I'm looking for now. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll let you know it's working fine soon.

Later...

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Update - Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#318037 - 11/30/13 05:57 AM

I am done re-wiring everything. Still no joy.
I am to the point where it's gotta be something on the board. If I go to the switch test page, everything works as it should except the joysticks. P4 joy controls are always on, as is the P4 start button. Obviously, if I unplug the P4 joy cable they go off. I can then unplug all the control cable harnesses until none are connected and P4 start is still on.

So, now what? Other than swapping out boards with someone who has a working or extra board, I'm out of ideas.

Help...?!?

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Update - Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#318042 - 11/30/13 07:34 AM

So you are saying that if you unplug connector P7 from the SIO board, player 4 start button is still showing as active in the test mode?

As for the player 4 stick, unplug the connector from the joystick side, and connect it to another stick and see if it acts normally.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Update - Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Reznor007]
#318058 - 11/30/13 10:55 PM

Yes, even if I unplug all I/O harnesses P4 start is still on.

I've changed it with the other joys and it works fine.

That's why I was thinking it has to be a problem on the SIO board. Which pretty much means I'm screwed unless I find a good one for cheap. I saw a repaired 1 for $300.

Ideas?

Thanks for the time.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#318061 - 11/30/13 11:15 PM

> Yes, even if I unplug all I/O harnesses P4 start is still on.
>
> I've changed it with the other joys and it works fine.
>
> That's why I was thinking it has to be a problem on the SIO board. Which pretty much
> means I'm screwed unless I find a good one for cheap. I saw a repaired 1 for $300.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks for the time.

Repaired SIO for $300? Ouch, I paid less for a whole gauntlet DL board shipped to the UK

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#318063 - 12/01/13 03:11 AM

If you trace the pin 6 on connector P7 to the closest IC, you could try swapping that one out. My Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy PCB's are packed away behind some crap so I can't get a good look at what it goes to. I'm also not 100% sure they are the same SIO board as yours.

For the joystick, just so I'm not misunderstanding, if you connect player 4 wire harness to a different joystick it works fine? If so, that problem is probably on the joystick PCB, and could be fixed fairly easy just by checking it out and replacing whatever is bad on it.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Update - Blitz/NBA controller problem... new [Re: Reznor007]
#318102 - 12/02/13 05:31 AM

I'll check the SIO board when I get time later this week. See what it entails. I probably can't fix that myself anyways, so no hurry.
Thanks.

Edited by Bad A Billy (12/02/13 05:33 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3130