MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts...
#339050 - 04/18/15 02:12 AM

with real world businesses/corporations/etc.

You come out with awesome, must-have games, like OutRun and After Burner Climax, that feature real world versions of vehicles and aircraft. Then your contract with said companies ends and you pull your games from the market.

I'm only 4 or 5 months late with After Burner, and NOW I think to look for it (digital or physical copy). Yeah, that's my fault.

At least I can find some PS2 discs on Amazon.com for OutRun.

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Don't forget Crazy Taxi! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#339056 - 04/18/15 04:35 AM

I'd love an Arcade perfect version, minus all graphical pop-up, unaltered locales and Offspring soundtrack intact. That shit will never happen.....

About Afterburner Climax: Were you referring to the XBox Live Arcade download or is there a physical disc? I bought it and Outrun for the 360. Loved them both. It really pisses me off Microsoft switched CPU architecture for the XBONE, rendering all purchased 360 XBLA titles incompatible. Lost a fair amount of money because of that. I could've sworn I read back in the day that XBLA games were coded in a language making them more universal, but I guess I was wrong. An XBONE would've been in my house shortly after release if it at least ran digital purchases. No plans to ever get one now. If I do get a new game system it'll be a PS4.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Don't forget Crazy Taxi! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#339058 - 04/18/15 06:22 AM

> About Afterburner Climax: Were you referring to the XBox Live Arcade download or is
> there a physical disc?

Well, PSN... Since I have a PS3. I don't know if they ever did sell a physical copy. I kinda assumed they did, but never seen one -that I recall.

However, when I was looking on amazon.com, they have something for download (probably for a mobile device), but there's a ton of negative reviews.... and, I have 0 interest in playing some anything on a mobile device.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/18/15 06:24 AM)

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Don't forget Crazy Taxi! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#339077 - 04/19/15 03:10 AM

Are PSN games released during the PS3 era still working on PS4? That would really piss me off!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#339123 - 04/20/15 09:02 PM

> I could've sworn I read back in the day that XBLA games were coded in a language
> making them more universal, but I guess I was wrong.

XBLA Indie games were all written in .NET and XNA which makes them theoretically portable (even to Linux, potentially) but XNA was cancelled by MS so they won't implement it on XBone or Win10. It's unclear if the games could be extracted somehow from a 360 and coaxed into running on a third-party reimplementation (there's at least one F/OSS XNA clone), but either way MS is apparently not interested in keeping those games running.

Regular XBL games on the 360 from AAA publishers like Sega and EA (including Afterburner Climax) are written using the same dev tools as full disc games and compiled to native PowerPC code.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#339124 - 04/20/15 09:08 PM

> Are PSN games released during the PS3 era still working on PS4? That would really
> piss me off!

Sort of. You can play them through the "PlayStation Now" streaming service (basically the renamed Gaikai). It plays pretty well for the games I tried, and having access to the games certainly beats the alternative. But it's still a streaming service and you have to pay even if you previously owned the game on PS3 (you can either rent a specific game for X number of hours, or you can pay a flat fee per month like Netflix/Spotify and play all the games you like). If the fee was US$9.99 or so like Spotify I'd bite, but US$19.99 is too much until they expand the library a lot more.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Don't forget Crazy Taxi! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#339144 - 04/21/15 03:34 AM

Thanks for that info

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#339168 - 04/21/15 08:07 PM

I like how their reissues of Daytona USA have to be rebranded Virtua Stock Car since their license on the name ran out.
It was only called Daytona in America.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: yaggy]
#339175 - 04/21/15 10:10 PM

> I like how their reissues of Daytona USA have to be rebranded Virtua Stock Car since
> their license on the name ran out.
> It was only called Daytona in America.

A lot people making fun of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkAVmBVmVE Daytona USA

I never a fan of the singing.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: Dullaron]
#339181 - 04/22/15 02:18 AM

Why the hell dis they even need to license this game anyway? Is the name Daytona copyrightable? Its not like the cars/tracks are real world models. I guess the shape of the track is like the real track, but thats it.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#339193 - 04/22/15 05:15 AM

> > I like how their reissues of Daytona USA have to be rebranded Virtua Stock Car
> since
> > their license on the name ran out.
> > It was only called Daytona in America.
>
> A lot people making fun of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkAVmBVmVE
> Daytona USA
>
> I never a fan of the singing.

Try this'n.

LEVEL-4

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#339195 - 04/22/15 05:22 AM

Those tracks are nothing like the Daytona Speedway so it has to be a NASCAR thing.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#339196 - 04/22/15 05:28 AM

> > > I like how their reissues of Daytona USA have to be rebranded Virtua Stock Car
> > since
> > > their license on the name ran out.
> > > It was only called Daytona in America.
> >
> > A lot people making fun of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkAVmBVmVE
> > Daytona USA
> >
> > I never a fan of the singing.
>
>
> Try this'n.

Sound much clear than the video link that I post. The other one sound shitty because the way they done it. I guest they were trying to simple it to where it got on the sound chip or some crap. They fuck it up.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Mosquito2001
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/06
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

#339205 - 04/22/15 12:09 PM

I used to sing blue blue sky for HOURS while playing the Saturn version, ah memories

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#339208 - 04/22/15 04:04 PM

> > Try this'n.
>
> Sound much clear than the video link that I post.

It sounds better because it's the HD Arrange version.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Damn you SEGA and your limited time contracts... new [Re: yaggy]
#339209 - 04/22/15 04:16 PM

> I like how their reissues of Daytona USA have to be rebranded Virtua Stock Car since
> their license on the name ran out.
> It was only called Daytona in America.

I recall a good number of years ago, there was some event at big mall in a nearby city. It had something to do with Nascar . Anyway, they mentioned they had a "NASCAR simulator" or something to that effect. & You could tell it was a Daytona USA game. I couldn't figure out why they just didn't call it what it was.

Now that I think about years after the fact - it would have to have been due to legal issues, like they probably weren't allowed to use that name over broadcast television.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#339214 - 04/23/15 03:28 AM

> > I could've sworn I read back in the day that XBLA games were coded in a language
> > making them more universal, but I guess I was wrong.
>
> XBLA Indie games were all written in .NET and XNA which makes them theoretically
> portable (even to Linux, potentially) but XNA was cancelled by MS so they won't
> implement it on XBone or Win10. It's unclear if the games could be extracted somehow
> from a 360 and coaxed into running on a third-party reimplementation (there's at
> least one F/OSS XNA clone), but either way MS is apparently not interested in keeping
> those games running.
>
> Regular XBL games on the 360 from AAA publishers like Sega and EA (including
> Afterburner Climax) are written using the same dev tools as full disc games and
> compiled to native PowerPC code.

The ADD over at Microsoft gets a little tiresome after a while. The come up with something that's actually cool, hype it as the Next Big Thing, and a year later it's dead and buried. XNA, DES, Desktop Gadgets, they do it over and over, and then they wonder why developers don't bother after a while.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#339242 - 04/24/15 02:51 AM

I always knew going in that digital games wouldn't be supported forever, but I really believed they'd give us more than one generation of support.

How is the AMD chip in the XBONE compare in horsepower grunt to the X360's PPC? Did they gain anything besides easier porting from PC to XBONE vise versa?

Discuss!

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

8 x Daytona 50" Specials new [Re: DiodeDude]
#339258 - 04/24/15 06:45 PM

Present day, all 50" CRT projection systems with new tubes, all new compressed air valves and lines. The few of these beasts still out there often get a LCD retrofit (that looks horrible).

http://www.cybersled.com/albums/Daytona%20USA/special/dsp2.jpg (large image)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2597