View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

fuvio
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/25/15
Send PM

Kung-Fu Master - MAME 0.163
#342913 - 07/25/15 11:12 AM

Hello, I hope this is not the wrong forum to post this but since version 0.163 my favourite game Kung-Fu Master seems to have wrong sound - there is noise, clicking and it is very quiet. Is that a bug or not?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Kung-Fu Master - MAME 0.163 new [Re: fuvio]
#342915 - 07/25/15 02:21 PM

All the IREM games of that period run the IREM discrete sound board code because it's used for drums on Kid Niki, Horizon, Spelunker etc.

This includes Kung Fu Master, although I'm not sure it actually uses the discrete drums at all (we probably need to check if that hardware exists on that PCB)

Emulating the discrete components is VERY slow, hence the slowdown you're observing.

pat33999
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/20/08
Send PM

Re: Kung-Fu Master - MAME 0.163 new [Re: Haze]
#342927 - 07/26/15 07:33 AM

> All the IREM games of that period run the IREM discrete sound board code because it's
> used for drums on Kid Niki, Horizon, Spelunker etc.
>
> This includes Kung Fu Master, although I'm not sure it actually uses the discrete
> drums at all (we probably need to check if that hardware exists on that PCB)
>
> Emulating the discrete components is VERY slow, hence the slowdown you're observing.

I don't see the word "slowdown" anywhere in his post. He's talking about the annoying clicking/popping noises. Seems intolerable to me, I'd either use an older version of MAME or mute the sound.

http://www.retrouprising.com/
[url=http://replay.marpirc.net/index.cgi?mode=search&player=^pat33999[/url]

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Kung-Fu Master - MAME 0.163 new [Re: pat33999]
#342928 - 07/26/15 08:16 AM

> I don't see the word "slowdown" anywhere in his post. He's talking about the annoying clicking/popping noises....

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Kung-Fu Master - MAME 0.163 new [Re: pat33999]
#342934 - 07/26/15 09:57 AM

The clicking / popping / quiet audio stuff is the same reason tho, the discrete sound, and if you're not 100% it sounds even worse.

If the slowdown doesn't bother you then you should be able to turn down the discrete channels in the slider menus, although you will then be back to having no drums in the games that use them.

*edit* looks like you can't use the slider controls anymore as all the sound it routed through the discrete system.

Edited by Haze (07/26/15 03:33 PM)

fuvio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#342935 - 07/26/15 10:14 AM

I'd like to add that I am running 100% with no skipping (i7-2600K CPU overclocked to 4.5 GHz). If I understand correctly the emulation is more accurate now and therefore the sound is much worse?

Haze
Send PM

#342936 - 07/26/15 10:40 AM

> I'd like to add that I am running 100% with no skipping (i7-2600K CPU overclocked to
> 4.5 GHz). If I understand correctly the emulation is more accurate now and therefore
> the sound is much worse?

yes, the emulation is more accurate for games using the IREM sound board, at least in cases where they use the drums which were entirely absent before. This is very evident in Horizon for which I recorded a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v717E7FVuPo
the video is slightly before 163 so the clicking is worse there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R3m41Rsn4E is a much older video without the drums for comparison purposes.

unfortunately the clicking and popping seem to be a side-effect of the discrete system running, I don't know if it will be resolved at some point.

The games actually seem to be completely broken in the current SVN builds, so I can't comment on if things have improved since 163. *edit* since restored to working state.

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

#342954 - 07/26/15 04:29 PM

The clicking will hopefully get better going forward. These are actually just 10ns clicks which a proper sampling should weight out. Such sampling just isn't currently implemented. I am working on it.
Kungfu Master is using the same sound board as kidniki. What is missing is a switch where Channel C from the first AY8910 is connected to. That will be added as well.

fuvio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#343032 - 07/27/15 10:36 PM

Thank you for the explanation.

Andypc
Andypc
Reged: 10/27/07
Send PM

#354481 - 05/21/16 01:27 AM

Just wondered if there is an update on this as I just upgraded from Mame 0.155 to 0.171 and was surprised how bad the sound is in Kung Fu Master compared to the earlier version.

Has any progress been made with correcting this, as it's one of my favourite games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Kung-Fu Master new [Re: Andypc]
#354500 - 05/21/16 07:20 AM

>as I just upgraded from Mame 0.155 to 0.171 and was surprised how bad the sound is in
>Kung Fu Master compared to the earlier version.

The sound effects being generated from the analog audio pcb do make it worthwhile for users updating even though audio of some games might be off for time being.

couriersud 's post from last year provides some explanation.

-
The clicking will hopefully get better going forward. These are actually just 10ns clicks
which a proper sampling should weight out. Such sampling just isn't currently
implemented. I am working on it. Kungfu Master is using the same sound board as kidniki.
What is missing is a switch where Channel C from the first AY8910 is connected to. That
will be added as well.
-

>Just wondered if there is an update on this.....has any progress been made with correcting this,

couriersud has been doing some recent netlist work over past several weeks that involves significant updates that could improve audio output of Irem m62 hardware games along with improvements of other games that do make use of netlist support. I am not sure if specific fixes to Kung Fu Master has been done yet. Still worth trying next MAME release or if able to make your own compile/build at this time (need a powerful computer to compile own build), check it out to see if couriersud's recent work has fixed things.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

The game isn't worth the fervour..... new [Re: gregf]
#354522 - 05/21/16 09:14 PM

The kicking sound alone makes me want to kick the cabinet. About as bad as some of the 70s kung fu flicks which had that metal door slamming sound for punches. Fuck.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: The game isn't worth the fervour..... new [Re: Traso]
#355002 - 05/30/16 09:55 PM

After updating to 0.174 I've noticed that Kung-Fu Master is now running at full speed and the sounds are fine again. The voices are too low but audible anyway!

Thanks to Couriersud and other devs who are working on discrete drivers!!!

>The kicking sound alone makes me want to kick the cabinet. About as bad as some of the 70s kung fu flicks which had that metal door slamming sound for punches. Fuck.

LOL

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: The game isn't worth the fervour..... new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#355019 - 05/31/16 02:50 AM

> After updating to 0.174 I've noticed that Kung-Fu Master is now running at full speed
> and the sounds are fine again. The voices are too low but audible anyway!
>
> Thanks to Couriersud and other devs who are working on discrete drivers!!!
>
>
> > The kicking sound alone makes me want to kick the cabinet. About as bad as some of
> the 70s kung fu flicks which had that metal door slamming sound for punches. Fuck.
>
> LOL

Hey, that sound effect is cool!

*hits R. Coltrane with that sound*

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5886