MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ?
#343074 - 07/28/15 10:54 PM

Does it improve performance on a slow system?.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Traso]
#343076 - 07/28/15 11:12 PM

> Does it improve performance on a slow system?.....

This sounds suspiciously like a trolling question.
Anyway, just like overclocking a PC, overclocking emulation gets more performance out of the hardware you have. Neo Geo hardware has many times not been powerful enough for some more intense games (Metal Slug for instance) in which case people have been known to overclock the emulated CPU(s) to gain performance in an attempt to eliminate slowdown which was present in the actual game. Not accurate but it seems to satisfy the common (mis) belief that all arcade games performed/played perfectly.

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Tafoid]
#343079 - 07/28/15 11:42 PM

By the way, I have the Neogeo overclock diff applied to my build (http://www.systempixel.fr/extra/) and it seems to be working because I no longer have to overclock these games to avoid slowdownns. However, when I load other games such as for instance CPS2 games, I've noticed that they seem to be underclocked, because if I enter the overlocking slider I can read 74%, not 100%. Is this a bug or is it normal? Are they really underclocked?

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Tafoid]
#343080 - 07/28/15 11:53 PM

>...to gain performance in an attempt to eliminate
> slowdown which was present in the actual game. Not accurate but it seems to satisfy
> the common (mis) belief that all arcade games performed/played perfectly.

Exactly. Double Dragon is another example of this phenomenon. The game was riddled with slowdown. Overclocking the CPU(s) makes it run without any slowdown; however, that is very much unlike the original and actual arcade game experience.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Trebor]
#343089 - 07/29/15 02:24 AM

This one always gets brought up so I might as well bring up the rest of the conversation which is that there was a bootleg of it with way less slowdown so we don't know if that is what some people are remembering.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Elaphe]
#343090 - 07/29/15 03:30 AM

Maybe it's a hack to fake missing wait states.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#343091 - 07/29/15 03:36 AM

> This one always gets brought up so I might as well bring up the rest of the
> conversation which is that there was a bootleg of it with way less slowdown so we
> don't know if that is what some people are remembering.

Very cool. I am glad you brought it up, because this is the first time I believe I ever read about a bootleg that contained less slowdown.

'Luckily' for me, all my encounters was always with the legit - didn't seem so bad at the time, now it's almost feels torturous - tremendous amount of slowdown version.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#343093 - 07/29/15 03:56 AM

also, Phil Bennett did some work for mame 0.150 which got rid of some slowdown in mame double dragon (both 1 and II); it seemed double dragon was slowing down a bit more than you would find on the original pcb.

luckily this forum wasn't then swamped with hundreds of 'we told you so!!!' posts..

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=2106

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Elaphe]
#343094 - 07/29/15 04:42 AM

Quote:

By the way, I have the Neogeo overclock diff applied to my build (http://www.systempixel.fr/extra/) and it seems to be working because I no longer have to overclock these games to avoid slowdownns.

How do you apply the .diff? Do you have to compile MAME with it included? Or is there a way that you can apply it without having to compile MAME with it?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#343098 - 07/29/15 05:49 AM

> How do you apply the .diff? Do you have to compile MAME with it included? Or is there
> a way that you can apply it without having to compile MAME with it?

You have to apply the diff right before you compile because it's unofficial and modifies the source to apply the hack.

The last I looked at Pugsy's cheats doesn't it have an overclock CPU option?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Trebor]
#343099 - 07/29/15 06:38 AM

> > This one always gets brought up so I might as well bring up the rest of the
> > conversation which is that there was a bootleg of it with way less slowdown so we
> > don't know if that is what some people are remembering.
>
> Very cool. I am glad you brought it up, because this is the first time I believe I
> ever read about a bootleg that contained less slowdown.

I don't remember who explained earlier that it was in fact the protection device on the original that caused the slowdown.
It makes total sense then that bootleg versions have no slowdowns.

Imagine having written the game, then seeing it crippled by protection. They must have been pissed off, assuming they cared.

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: Sune]
#343120 - 07/29/15 04:57 PM

> Imagine having written the game, then seeing it crippled by protection. They must
> have been pissed off, assuming they cared.

I was always amused that the NES version ran faster than the official arcade. And I think that much like Rygar, people with fond memories of the game are remembering the NES version rather than the arcade.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: B2K24]
#343294 - 08/02/15 08:00 AM

> > How do you apply the .diff? Do you have to compile MAME with it included? Or is
> there
> > a way that you can apply it without having to compile MAME with it?
>
> You have to apply the diff right before you compile because it's unofficial and
> modifies the source to apply the hack.
>
> The last I looked at Pugsy's cheats doesn't it have an overclock CPU option?

It's built into MAME, just run with -cheat and it will work; you don't even need the cheat file.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Why would you overclock a game's CPU(s) ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#343419 - 08/04/15 07:05 AM

> I was always amused that the NES version ran faster than the official arcade. And I think that much like Rygar, people with fond memories of the game are remembering the NES version rather than the arcade.

Not me. In high school I saw it at the local pizza joint, and had fun playing it, but the slowdown was weird. None of us knew anything about computers.

@Tafoid: oh. Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Maybe I'll partake of it, say like in Joust or Robotron, because the slowdown makes the game easier during that time.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3502