MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Why must learning a new browser be so infuriating?
#343181 - 07/30/15 04:49 PM

Installed Windows 10. Upgraded instead of a fresh install, and it was fairly painless (had to remove my SEP install then installed a newer version afterword). Didn't have much time to look at the new start menu since Classic Shell almost immediately asked to configure itself for the new OS. No issues there.

First thing that bugged me: I wanted to turn on Cortana. I had to log into my Microsoft account for that, and it pretty much turned my local account into the MS account. Shit.

Edge browser though... First off, The options are sparse. TOO DAMN SPARSE! I had to use the registry editor to change my download location. What's worse, is that it doesn't give me any options for downloading (as opposed to simply opening) when I click a link to a file. It just immediately downloads it. I had to "import" my bookmarks from Internet Explorer, and it is impossible to rearrange them! It looks like you can, but when you close it and open it again, the order resets. If you create folders in your bookmarks and put bookmarks in the folders, THOSE you can rearrange. Setting which search engine to use is a PITA also. You have to go to google (e.g.) THEN go into "Advanced" settings to be able to add it, and even then, you can't manually type or edit it. In my case (appear to be in Japan when not using VPN), I NEED to add /ncr to my google link to prevent my results from coming back in Japanese!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Still waiting. (nt) new [Re: URherenow]
#343196 - 07/31/15 01:26 AM

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Why must learning a new browser be so infuriating? new [Re: URherenow]
#343204 - 07/31/15 04:41 AM

> Installed Windows 10. Upgraded instead of a fresh install, and it was fairly painless
> (had to remove my SEP install then installed a newer version afterword). Didn't have
> much time to look at the new start menu since Classic Shell almost immediately asked
> to configure itself for the new OS. No issues there.

Ah yes, the W10 start menu is utter rubbish. Long live Classic Shell ....

> First thing that bugged me: I wanted to turn on Cortana. I had to log into my
> Microsoft account for that, and it pretty much turned my local account into the MS
> account. Shit.

Yep, same thing happened with the W10 Tech Preview. Your on-line password becomes your local password - which is a bit poor when my on-line passwords are 1000x plus the strength. I don't want to have to type in 16+ characters to log into Windows .... So, it means using a shorter, simpler MS pw.

> Edge browser though...

Ah ... might stick with FF or Chrome ...

I downloaded the Full Windows 10 ISO yesterday .... I'm looking forward to Cortana ....

But I'm worried about installing it on my Windows 7 desktop .... I've got an SSD, and 2 x 4 TB harddrives all TrueCrypted .... Got stacks of VM's setup .... Will also need to upgrade to VirtualBox 5.0 .... Yiiikes been waiting for v5.01 or v5.1 ... Lots of upgrades .... Worried about potential issues ....

Oh well, I'll disconnect the 2 Trucrypted 4 TB HDD's and give it a run .....

***Update: anyone have any experience with TrueCrypt under W10 ? Should I change to Veracrypt or something else ?

Edited by Moose (07/31/15 06:23 AM)

Moose

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Still waiting. (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343233 - 07/31/15 09:12 PM

So they sent me an email. Not the one saying it was ready to go, but one telling me they'd tell me. It included a link to the page with instructions on getting it sooner.

You download a file to install from USB, or a file to burn an iso.

The iso is 5.57 GB. It won't fit on a standard DVD-R

So... my burner says it can do DVD+R DL.

Shopping. F.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Still waiting. (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343244 - 08/01/15 01:28 AM

> The iso is 5.57 GB. It won't fit on a standard DVD-R

I downloaded the 1st one in the drop down list (Win10_English_x64.iso) and it is only 3.8GB.

Moose

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Still waiting. (nt) new [Re: Moose]
#343249 - 08/01/15 03:35 AM

He must've downloaded the 32/64-bit combined ISO. I'd just get a cheap 8GB flash drive. Probably cheaper than DL DVDs anyway.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Whats wrong with Bitlocker? new [Re: Moose]
#343250 - 08/01/15 03:40 AM

If you're using Pro, Bitlocker is available. Truecrypt has pissed me off more than once cause if your Windows install becomes borked, you can't repair it with Windows tools unless you decrypt the drive, which is bullshit, IMO. I'm going to assume since Bitlocker is made by MS, that isn't an issue. Encrypting external/flash drives is easy with bitlocker and the nice thing is even if bitlocker isn't a feature on your version of Windows (Home editions), the OS is still aware and allows you to authenticate to view the drive's contents.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Whats wrong with Bitlocker? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#343255 - 08/01/15 04:49 AM

> If you're using Pro, Bitlocker is available. Truecrypt has pissed me off more than
> once cause if your Windows install becomes borked, you can't repair it with Windows
> tools unless you decrypt the drive, which is bullshit, IMO. I'm going to assume since
> Bitlocker is made by MS, that isn't an issue. Encrypting external/flash drives is
> easy with bitlocker and the nice thing is even if bitlocker isn't a feature on your
> version of Windows (Home editions), the OS is still aware and allows you to
> authenticate to view the drive's contents.

All good points.

Nothing is wrong with Bitlocker .... it is just that everything I has is encrypted with TrueCrypt ..... I have not looked into it, but if Bitlocker can read / write / handle TrueCrypt volumes / files / disks, then there's no problem at all, I'll just change over to BitLocker. Otherwise, I'll have to convert or else decrypt and re-encrypt.

Moose

Moose
Send PM

Re: Whats wrong with Bitlocker? new [Re: Moose]
#343258 - 08/01/15 06:30 AM

> > If you're using Pro, Bitlocker is available. Truecrypt has pissed me off more than
> > once cause if your Windows install becomes borked, you can't repair it with Windows
> > tools unless you decrypt the drive, which is bullshit, IMO. I'm going to assume
> since
> > Bitlocker is made by MS, that isn't an issue. Encrypting external/flash drives is
> > easy with bitlocker and the nice thing is even if bitlocker isn't a feature on your
> > version of Windows (Home editions), the OS is still aware and allows you to
> > authenticate to view the drive's contents.
>
> All good points.
>
> Nothing is wrong with Bitlocker .... it is just that everything I has is encrypted
> with TrueCrypt ..... I have not looked into it, but if Bitlocker can read / write /
> handle TrueCrypt volumes / files / disks, then there's no problem at all, I'll just
> change over to BitLocker. Otherwise, I'll have to convert or else decrypt and
> re-encrypt.

Update: I've just been doing some research into BitLocker and I do have concerns about Bitlocker, for example:

(1). "Starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Microsoft removed the Elephant Diffuser from the BitLocker scheme for no declared reason.[35] Dan Rosendorf's research shows that removing the Elephant Diffuser had an "undeniably negative impact" on the security of BitLocker encryption against a targeted attack."

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

My question: WTF would someone water down the security of their product ??

(2). "According to Microsoft sources,[28] BitLocker does not contain an intentionally built-in backdoor; without a backdoor there is no way for law enforcement to have a guaranteed passage to the data on the user's drives that is provided by Microsoft. The lack of any backdoor has been a concern to the UK Home Office,[29] which tried entering into talks with Microsoft to get one introduced, although Microsoft developer Niels Ferguson and other Microsoft spokesmen state that they will not grant the wish to have one added.[30] Microsoft engineers have said that FBI agents also put pressure on them in numerous meetings in order to add a backdoor, although no formal, written request was ever made;"

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

My question: Who do I trust more - an open source where the code can be reviewed / audited by anyone, or a closed source project from a massive international company which would be a fat, slow target for law enforcement and other agencies to put pressure on ? Personally, I'll take the open source project thanks.

(3). "If you are concerned about clients losing their password or recovery key, you can always have the key backed up to their Microsoft account or you can offer to keep a copy of the key in safekeeping on their behalf in your own internal storage system or similar:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-recovery-keys-faq%22

REF: https://www.technibble.com/bitlocker-101-easy-free-full-drive-encryption-for-windows/

My question: exactly how is this key stored in your MS account ? Can MS decrypt it ? I'm pretty sure they could.

So, there are 3 BIG potential issues there.

TrueCrypt 7.1a (the most recent safe version) still seems to be a safer option .....

Moose

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Still waiting. (nt) new [Re: DiodeDude]
#343260 - 08/01/15 08:24 AM

> He must've downloaded the 32/64-bit combined ISO. I'd just get a cheap 8GB flash
> drive. Probably cheaper than DL DVDs anyway.

Ah, thanks. In the time between starting and finishing the download, I'd forgotten that option was there.

The discs are just under $2 each, pack of 5. I don't see any flash drives for under $2, but under $10, yes. Still, I've no use for them, really, and even most of the 50 DVD-Rs I got for free with the burner are going to sit here for years, to go by the existing CD-R and CD+RW spindles I have sitting around.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Whats wrong with Bitlocker? new [Re: Moose]
#343333 - 08/02/15 11:13 PM

Apologies. I was under the assumption you were just trying to secure your files against average Joe in case something was stolen/lost.

I doubt Bitlocker is able to work with Truecrypt volumes anyway, so you would be required to decrypt/re-encrypt. As mentioned, Trucrypt is a real problem for me when a Windows install becomes corrupt because I have to decrypt the volume before Windows tools can repair it. I'm a low level techie, so maybe there is a better way to go about that, but its all I know for the moment.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Whats wrong with Bitlocker? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#356947 - 07/27/16 03:21 AM

> Apologies. I was under the assumption you were just trying to secure your files
> against average Joe in case something was stolen/lost.

Sarcasm ? There's no point using a tool that has a backdoor built in.

Even if the the back door is provided for the "best possible reasons", and the backdoor security is maintained by a super secure government agency who promises to do the right thing. All big IFs there.

We all know how secure a lot of government / company data is - millions of accounts stolen / hacked every year.

If your average Joe can crack my harddrive encryption by grabbing the legitimate backdoor password from some web site, then the encryption is useless.

I'll stick to harddrive encryption without a backdoor.

Moose

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Pleast post universal bitlocker password obtained from Internet new [Re: Moose]
#356949 - 07/27/16 04:18 AM

> > Apologies. I was under the assumption you were just trying to secure your files
> > against average Joe in case something was stolen/lost.
>
> Sarcasm ? There's no point using a tool that has a backdoor built in.
>
> Even if the the back door is provided for the "best possible reasons", and the
> backdoor security is maintained by a super secure government agency who promises to
> do the right thing. All big IFs there.
>
> We all know how secure a lot of government / company data is - millions of accounts
> stolen / hacked every year.
>
> If your average Joe can crack my harddrive encryption by grabbing the legitimate
> backdoor password from some web site, then the encryption is useless.
>
> I'll stick to harddrive encryption without a backdoor.

I'd like to add it to my toolbox for future use.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Pleast post universal bitlocker password obtained from Internet new [Re: DiodeDude]
#357306 - 08/04/16 12:02 PM

> > > Apologies. I was under the assumption you were just trying to secure your files
> > > against average Joe in case something was stolen/lost.
> >
> > Sarcasm ? There's no point using a tool that has a backdoor built in.
> >
> > Even if the the back door is provided for the "best possible reasons", and the
> > backdoor security is maintained by a super secure government agency who promises to
> > do the right thing. All big IFs there.
> >
> > We all know how secure a lot of government / company data is - millions of accounts
> > stolen / hacked every year.
> >
> > If your average Joe can crack my harddrive encryption by grabbing the legitimate
> > backdoor password from some web site, then the encryption is useless.
> >
> > I'll stick to harddrive encryption without a backdoor.
>
>
> I'd like to add it to my toolbox for future use.

Ummm, where did I say there was a universal password ?

You have a great sense of humour.

Moose

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Pleast post universal bitlocker password obtained from Internet new [Re: Moose]
#357315 - 08/04/16 04:41 PM

>
> Ummm, where did I say there was a universal password ?
>
Ummm... if that's not what a backdoor is, I don't know what is. You did say there was one. Then again, it probably would have been leaked by now

Edit: there is no backdoor. It can be worked around though. If you have physical access to a working machine, can't you still boot a windows installation CD, open a command prompt with shift+F10, then replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe to simply add a new administrative account from the login screen (launching cmd with SYSTEM privileges)? I'm actually not aware if bitlocker prevents this or not...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! new [Re: URherenow]
#357422 - 08/07/16 12:47 PM

> If you have physical access to a working machine, can't you still boot a windows installation CD, open a command prompt with shift+F10, then replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe to simply add a new administrative account from the login screen (launching cmd with SYSTEM privileges)? I'm actually not aware if bitlocker prevents this or not...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2757