MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

If I was the maker of MAME then I would've call it RetroMAMESS. Part MAME and Part MESS.
#349978 - 02/07/16 06:07 AM Attachment: mameui.png 190 KB (0 downloads)

Just had to say it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Dullaron (02/12/16 10:54 PM)

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Dullaron]
#349979 - 02/07/16 06:30 AM

> MAME 0.171 wip
>
> I don't know who is doing this. I like it.

That looks like the MEWUI frontend.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#349981 - 02/07/16 06:33 AM

> MAME 0.171 wip

looks good.

[belenki] official mame got new frontend?
[Lord_Nigh] yes, merged mewui
[abelenki] and it can be cross-platform?
[Lord_Nigh] afaik it already is

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Master O]
#349982 - 02/07/16 06:36 AM

> That looks like the MEWUI frontend.

that's correct:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/701df7fe9ea4775b25c9d7263592cb3d442e2793

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#349983 - 02/07/16 06:48 AM

Yeah, and people can just compile the current dev build and get it now

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Sweet! [nt] new [Re: Dullaron]
#349986 - 02/07/16 09:43 AM

that's right.

LEVEL-4

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#349988 - 02/07/16 09:55 AM

New look ? - It's About Time !

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#349991 - 02/07/16 11:04 AM

Not displaying my freestanding *.png snaps in \snap.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: John IV]
#349993 - 02/07/16 12:35 PM

Quote:

Not displaying my freestanding *.png snaps in \snap

Fixed:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/2fda7e23f2ff096a27b316a2504e6d333c70640e

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: AntoPISA]
#349999 - 02/07/16 03:45 PM

Essentials for any front end:

Autofire
Image Enhancement (HQ3x etc)

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Vaughan]
#350001 - 02/07/16 03:55 PM

> Essentials for any front end:
>
> Image Enhancement (HQ3x etc)

You call that crap image-enhancement? seriously? LöL
This is just eye-cancer

Edited by uman (02/07/16 03:56 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: uman]
#350002 - 02/07/16 04:28 PM

> > Essentials for any front end:
> >
> > Image Enhancement (HQ3x etc)
>
> You call that crap image-enhancement? seriously? LöL
> This is just eye-cancer

and has nothing to do with a frontend..

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Master O]
#350003 - 02/07/16 04:31 PM

> > MAME 0.171 wip
> >
> > I don't know who is doing this. I like it.
>
> That looks like the MEWUI frontend.

That's because it basically is. The MEWUI developer has been brought onto the team.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Haze]
#350007 - 02/07/16 05:06 PM

Having easy access to them has everything to do with a frontend.

As for the likes of HG3x being "eye cancer", I have to wonder why people enjoy living in a binary world. If you don't like something that's fine - don't use it. There's no need for histrionics and comparing it with cancer. For me, HG3x vastly improves the image on my LED monitor. I use it as a default. There are some games I like old school - Galaxians is an example where no image enhancement is preferred - but otherwise, enhance away.

I do appreciate that Mame developers are primarily interested in preservation. I get that, and am wholly on board with it. But I also enjoy playing the games, and as such, I don't need fake scan lines, jagged edges, and the like. I prefer the game with some "enhancements". It's not the end of the world is it?

Now - the Mame front end, I'm guessing, will provide access to command line options through an interface. As such - again only guessing - it won't have autofire the enhancements. I put it in here because, with those two additions, we wouldn't need half a dozen different front ends any longer - there'd be one (on windows anyway). Unless you want to go all out and have a more aesthetically pleasing graphical look.

Anyways... I expected to be told it would never happen, but some go way over the top. This is Mame, not world war.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#350027 - 02/07/16 08:01 PM

> > > MAME 0.171 wip
> > >
> > > I don't know who is doing this. I like it.
> >
> > That looks like the MEWUI frontend.
>
> That's because it basically is. The MEWUI developer has been brought onto the team.

Well I didn't expect THAT. Pretty sweet!

psychic5
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/11/07
Send PM

#350033 - 02/07/16 08:23 PM

After the apparent death of mameplus, image enhancements like xbrz will be much appreciated by quite a large part of the user base. I personally like them in conjunction with bilinear and scanlines. Devs seem to be against it. I think it would be just another option liked by many. If you don't like it, don't activate.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Foxhack]
#350035 - 02/07/16 08:23 PM

> > > > MAME 0.171 wip
> > > >
> > > > I don't know who is doing this. I like it.
> > >
> > > That looks like the MEWUI frontend.
> >
> > That's because it basically is. The MEWUI developer has been brought onto the team.
>
>
> Well I didn't expect THAT. Pretty sweet!

shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

If we feel somebody is doing a good job, and taking the project forward, they will be brought onto the team.

If we feel they're not, then they won't.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: psychic5]
#350037 - 02/07/16 08:32 PM

> After the apparent death of mameplus, image enhancements like xbrz will be much
> appreciated by quite a large part of the user base. I personally like them in
> conjunction with bilinear and scanlines. Devs seem to be against it. I think it would
> be just another option liked by many. If you don't like it, don't activate.

Thing is, MAMEDev adding such features is not a good idea because that would just open up a whole can of worms - or bugs, in this case. Keeping things as simple as possible, in regards to the graphics department, is the best thing. We already have HLSL, which has a whole bunch of graphical options!

Besides, this is the good thing about the project being open source: If you think it needs something, you (or someone else) can add it. I'm not saying YOU should add it, but I'm saying it CAN be added by someone else. You know? That's what derivative builds are for.

Haze
Send PM

#350040 - 02/07/16 08:52 PM

> > After the apparent death of mameplus, image enhancements like xbrz will be much
> > appreciated by quite a large part of the user base. I personally like them in
> > conjunction with bilinear and scanlines. Devs seem to be against it. I think it
> would
> > be just another option liked by many. If you don't like it, don't activate.
>
> Thing is, MAMEDev adding such features is not a good idea because that would just
> open up a whole can of worms - or bugs, in this case. Keeping things as simple as
> possible, in regards to the graphics department, is the best thing. We already have
> HLSL, which has a whole bunch of graphical options!
>
> Besides, this is the good thing about the project being open source: If you think it
> needs something, you (or someone else) can add it. I'm not saying YOU should add it,
> but I'm saying it CAN be added by someone else. You know? That's what derivative
> builds are for.

I imagine eventually things like the HLSL and GLSL will have a plug-in system, complete with ini options determined by whatever shader you plug-in.

That would actually require people to rewrite many of these effects as shaders, which seems beyond quite a few, but then people could use whatever they wanted.

That might break eventually tho, because the whole concept of games having a horizontal resolution might go away with a screen becoming a series of lines (or even further divided) rather than a rectangle. Why? because in reality the pixel clocks can change dynamically, different lines of the screen, or even different layers can even output different pixel clocks giving different resolutions all over the display. Concepts like that don't mix well with effect filters based on neighbouring pixels (it's why the existing implementations for such things fail completely with games like Galaxian in MAME, or the PCE driver)

So yes, there are actual technical reasons for not doing it too, it's a flawed concept.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#350055 - 02/08/16 12:59 AM

I do appreciate the response, and understand your point. I'm just a user, not a coder - and as a user I just wanted to make a point about the way Mame is used - at least in my world.

The thing is, I saw a new UI was coming, I guessed it wouldn't have autofire and enhancements, and knew right away that all the work going into the UI is of little use for me. It won't do what I want it to do.

Just saying.

Derivative builds are all well and good, but they do disappear too. By adding such things to the core UI would help raise the bar on what derivatives offer.

I know I'm stuck at .160 now, because that is the latest version of a derivative I can find that have the options I'm used to, and want.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350057 - 02/08/16 01:04 AM

> I know I'm stuck at .160 now, because that is the latest version of a derivative I
> can find that have the options I'm used to, and want.

then you belong to a museum :P .

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#350058 - 02/08/16 01:51 AM

You have no idea how right you are.

Dullaron
Send PM

#350059 - 02/08/16 01:56 AM

> > > > > MAME 0.171 wip
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't know who is doing this. I like it.
> > > >
> > > > That looks like the MEWUI frontend.
> > >
> > > That's because it basically is. The MEWUI developer has been brought onto the
> team.
> >
> >
> > Well I didn't expect THAT. Pretty sweet!
>
> shouldn't be too much of a surprise.
>
> If we feel somebody is doing a good job, and taking the project forward, they will be
> brought onto the team.
>
> If we feel they're not, then they won't.

More people for me to love on like a family. Not joking.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#350063 - 02/08/16 04:49 AM

> You have no idea how right you are.

I think most of us belong in a museum.

I'm not a coder, but some of my best friends are, and I know the hell they go through whenever management wants something added and well, it isn't that easy to do. And I've been around MAME for long enough to read about and see many of the issues that have happened over the years. Things get added, other things break. It's the ciiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiifeeeeeeeeeee

So yeah.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#350068 - 02/08/16 10:34 AM

-

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Robbbert]
#350113 - 02/09/16 05:57 AM

> And we've just hit 33000 machines in MAME..

Is that all?

Never would have imagined that when I first got the single game emus, then Multi-Pac & others nearly 2 decades ago...

Thanks to all & keep it rolling...

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#350124 - 02/09/16 04:19 PM

You also have 100+ thousand games in software lists (non-arcade games).

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#350151 - 02/10/16 01:51 PM

GLSL already basically IS this. You get 10 slots and the output from each slot is run through the next slot to get the final output.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: Firehawke]
#350152 - 02/10/16 03:19 PM

> GLSL already basically IS this. You get 10 slots and the output from each slot is run
> through the next slot to get the final output.

This is true, but it has serious drawbacks, because it lacks of multi-pass-results. You cant for example, pass the result of shader 2 to shader 5. This is one of the main reasons, why it is very hard or sometimes impossible to convert existing shaders from other emulators. The same is true for mixing shaders, for example you cant have Mooglys NTSC shader working together with CRT-geom or CRT-Lotte shader and i guess hat HAZE means exactly this, with a plugable system. My biggest hope is, that BGFX will change this.

Edited by uman (02/10/16 03:23 PM)

Haze
Send PM

#350154 - 02/10/16 04:42 PM

> > GLSL already basically IS this. You get 10 slots and the output from each slot is
> run
> > through the next slot to get the final output.
>
> This is true, but it has serious drawbacks, because it lacks of multi-pass-results.
> You cant for example, pass the result of shader 2 to shader 5. This is one of the
> main reasons, why it is very hard or sometimes impossible to convert existing shaders
> from other emulators. The same is true for mixing shaders, for example you cant have
> Mooglys NTSC shader working together with CRT-geom or CRT-Lotte shader and i guess
> hat HAZE means exactly this, with a plugable system. My biggest hope is, that BGFX
> will change this.

Actually I just mean it loads the entire shader + shader configuration (including a list of what sliders to make available to the user in the interface) from an external file, so you can put whatever the hell you want there as long as it's valid.

basically you'd just specify -shader blah and it would load blah.shd, which contains information on everything else that needs loading and what should appear onscreen etc.

blah.shd could even reference hlsl / glsl versions of the shader files, so a well made shader would have code for both (and one without could throw an error if you attempted to use it in an unsupported mode)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#350155 - 02/10/16 05:40 PM

> Actually I just mean it loads the entire shader + shader configuration (including a
> list of what sliders to make available to the user in the interface) from an external
> file, so you can put whatever the hell you want there as long as it's valid.
>
> basically you'd just specify -shader blah and it would load blah.shd, which contains
> information on everything else that needs loading and what should appear onscreen
> etc.
>
> blah.shd could even reference hlsl / glsl versions of the shader files, so a well
> made shader would have code for both (and one without could throw an error if you
> attempted to use it in an unsupported mode)

BGFX has the concept of a single shader that can be compiled to multiple targets. From there the issue becomes how to represent the shader chain, but I have a really good idea on how to implement this, and I plan to do so in the next month or two.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#350156 - 02/10/16 06:04 PM

> BGFX has the concept of a single shader that can be compiled to multiple targets.
> From there the issue becomes how to represent the shader chain, but I have a really
> good idea on how to implement this, and I plan to do so in the next month or two.

Best news in the entire thread, way more interesting (at least for me) than the new "look". Cant wait to see, with what you will come up here. Wish you all the best for this project.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#350164 - 02/10/16 09:47 PM

> Best news in the entire thread, way more interesting (at least for me) than the new
> "look". Cant wait to see, with what you will come up here. Wish you all the best for
> this project.

I feel same exact way

Vaporeon
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/11/16
Send PM

#350169 - 02/11/16 02:30 AM

Well that was unexpected.

Dullaron
Send PM

Whoops I hit the edit not the reply button. lol new [Re: Dullaron]
#350208 - 02/12/16 10:55 PM

Sorry about that.

Dullaron
Send PM

Download been deleted. Use the MAME 0.171 or higher. new [Re: Dullaron]
#350210 - 02/13/16 12:38 AM

Link Deleted.

Edited by Dullaron (02/28/16 09:41 AM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Coming soon. MAME new look. new [Re: B2K24]
#350216 - 02/13/16 05:17 AM

> > Best news in the entire thread, way more interesting (at least for me) than the new
> > "look". Cant wait to see, with what you will come up here. Wish you all the best
> for
> > this project.
>
> I feel same exact way

Same here.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5714