Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away?
#352362 - 04/03/16 04:19 AM

Like it says.

If MAMEUI vanished tomorrow, what features would you miss that you can't live without?

We need your answers before the end of the month.

If you don't answer, the presumption is that you don't care.

(question also applies to MESSUI)

Just to emphasise, we need to know SPECIFIC FEATURES.
Nobody has said any as yet.

Edited by Robbbert (04/04/16 02:04 AM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Robbbert]
#352364 - 04/03/16 06:01 AM

The windows GUI. Using MAME through a windows GUI instead of the DOS-like official MAME is so much better. It's easier and better to navigate, customize options, scroll through the games using the various catlists, etc. I can go on and on.

Also for beginners to MAME, I think MAMEUI is ideal for them. It's a lot less confusing than official MAME.

ZX82
Spectrum
Reged: 10/14/03
Loc: Catalunya, Spain
Send PM

#352378 - 04/03/16 12:51 PM

As more than 17 years of being user of MAMEUI I’ll miss a lot of it (ALL). I hope it will not being vanished never, because I think it’s an important part of MAME’s history, sometimes is good to keep the tradition. For me it’s MAME’s “official” UI and should be implemented on MAME.
Thanks to all people who made MAMEUI possible with their time and work.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#352391 - 04/03/16 05:04 PM

I would miss the UI that I've been using for 15+ years. I've tried other front ends but just don't like them. It's a shame that this UI wasn't cross platform, then it could be made official.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#352394 - 04/03/16 06:21 PM

For many years, for me, it was the only MAME.
Adding to it the possibility to also show internally mp4 VideoSnaps and pdf manuals, is expected to turn back the most simple, complete and functional frontend available.
In any case it should continue to be issued (as MESSUI).

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#352427 - 04/04/16 05:03 AM

Pretty much everything. I've been using it since it was created & it's just 2nd nature to me. Seems to be the easiest to set up & use quickly. (I've tried lots of others too...)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: ZX82]
#352455 - 04/04/16 02:10 PM

> As more than 17 years of being user of MAMEUI I’ll miss a lot of it (ALL). I hope it
> will not being vanished never, because I think it’s an important part of MAME’s
> history, sometimes is good to keep the tradition. For me it’s MAME’s “official” UI
> and should be implemented on MAME.
> Thanks to all people who made MAMEUI possible with their time and work.

and this is part of the problem.

it isn't the official UI, in fact, for a recent code review we did of it there was one change being made to the baseline project that was absolutely horrifying; it wasn't clearing memory on device allocations 'because it made startup too slow'. Now, anybody who is a programmer can quickly tell you why having things in an uninitialized state is a bad idea.

it's not going to 'become part of MAME' because it's Windows only code (early Windows 9x era at that) and in general the design of it seems poor from a coding perspective, being designed without the foresight that it would need to scale (hence the need to hack out the initialization as a speed up in the first place) That's actually forgiveable because I doubt whoever wrote the original code actually expected it to be around for this long, but it does mean it should have been retired / replaced / fully rewritten a long time ago.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#352469 - 04/04/16 05:13 PM

> The windows GUI. Using MAME through a windows GUI instead of the DOS-like official
> MAME is so much better. It's easier and better to navigate, customize options, scroll
> through the games using the various catlists, etc. I can go on and on.

Have you tried the new built-in GUI in MAME 0.172? It's got all the catlists and snaps and everything.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#352486 - 04/04/16 06:50 PM

Yep. I'm glad that the official MAME merged those MEWUI features into it. But nothing can compare to a windows GUI. And that's not a criticism of the official MAME. I understand why MAME doesn't do that.

(And scrolling through the various catlists in official MAME, especially the catlists that have subcategories, is not the same as doing it with MAMEUI. It's easier to navigate and less time consuming in MAMEUI. In MAMEUI, you are able to click on a catlist's dropdown box and easily view and navigate quickly all the subcategories. In official MAME, it's a bit different, there's no dropdown box for catlists that have subcategories. And so when you want to view those subcategories, it's more tedious to do so.)

Edited by Big Karnak (04/04/16 06:58 PM)

acdacd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/08
Send PM

#352494 - 04/04/16 08:33 PM

Sorry, but new MEWUI interface in Mame is simply ugly.
MameUI is far, far superior and easy to configure and it has the look and feel of a Windows program.

MEWUI is a too custom interface, it isn't meat or fish.
Mame for Windows should have MameUI option and not some multiplatform, strange ugly interface.

Mame is multiplatform, but his interface should be different in Windows, OSX, UNIX or Android. Same interface for all platform is simply ridiculous.

Long live to MameUI, the only real Mame on Windows.

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

#352522 - 04/05/16 08:54 AM

I tried many frontends, but MAMEUI/MAMEUIFX is still the best.

Advantages/disadvantages of MAMEUI:

1. Buit-in (it is also a disadvantage, because it can easily break with every new MAME release).
2. Easy to use and customize.
3. Supports multipaths for roms.
4. It has the name MAME in it. You can't go wrong with that.
5. Historical value and lots of good memories.
6. Supports forlders ini files
7. Search feature to find the game you want.

Advantages/disadvantages of M+GUI:

1. It is external frontend that looks similar to MAMEUI
2. It has support for multipaths for roms, snaps, icons, etc. (by editing mamepgui.ini is easier to add the paths). Not many frontends support multipaths for almost everything.
3. It crashes with too many icons.
4. Someone needs to work on its source, for optimization and fixes.
5. Supports forlders ini files
6. Search feature to find the game you want.

Advantages/disadvantages of QMC2:

1. It is external frontend.
2. It doesn't look like MAMEUI. You can make it somewhat to resemble it, but it's far from MAMEUI.
3. The stylesheets doesn't work very well.
4. Videosnaps are played reversed and mirrored.
5. Needs a lot of work to customize it. It is not as easy to use as MAMEUI or even M+GUI.
6. It supports multipaths for almost everything and even supports zip files for snaps, titles etc.
7. You can add extra artpacks likes bosses, howto, logo etc.
8. It doesn't support folders ini files (big disadvantage)

Note: forgive any spelling mistakes

Edited by DaffyDuck (04/06/16 09:35 AM)

Daffy Duck

ZX82
Spectrum
Reged: 10/14/03
Loc: Catalunya, Spain
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Haze]
#352563 - 04/06/16 01:10 AM

I understand your point as a developer, the code is bad and old, MAMEUI stars slow and takes a lot of time to exit. However, the UI is intuitive and MAMEUI is a piece of history. I know that will not be included on MAME’s official code but why MAMEUI should be banished?
I think that keep MAMEUI as now will be good for developers and users, maybe somebody can rewrite the code and improve it. As user, I think that MAMEUI is the best one and it has more pros than conts.

Zaghadka
MAME Groupie
Reged: 04/26/11
Send PM

#352575 - 04/06/16 04:53 AM

• Being able to sort the game list by "Directory." Stock MAME can't do this, and it makes it much easier to find gamesets for troubleshooting. Hell, being able to sort by manufacturer and year too, instead of having to just see it one manufacturer/year at a time.
  • Tabbed graphics extras pane. Stock MAME uses an annoying arrow system that forces you to cycle through each piece of artwork in sequence. I would miss this the most. It keeps me from wanting to use IV-Play as well.
  • Custom INI files through a simple "properties" box. Okay, I don't use this so much any more, but it is still the slickest and easiest way to configure a game ini file, or mame.ini itself.
  • Game play count/game time

If the GUI could be made to support "diff" ini's (ini's that only include the changes from the base mame.ini/raster.ini/etc), that would make it the best for editing ini files, hands down. But it is excellent just the way it is, even though you have to hand edit HLSL settings. Only modding "hlsl_enable true/false" in the GUI was a perfect compromise.

Edited by Zaghadka (04/06/16 05:04 AM)

J.A
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/07
Send PM

#352604 - 04/06/16 10:46 PM

MAMeUI is the only One. Others are very bad copy.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#352615 - 04/07/16 01:46 AM

-

DaffyDuck
Send PM

#352644 - 04/07/16 12:39 PM

> Just to let you know, MAMEUI supports multipaths for almost everything, such as
> snaps, etc. I don't think MAMEUIFX has that yet afaik.

excellent!

now the only think that is missing from mameui is scale effects like scale2x, hq2x etc. (like in mameplus)

Maybe now this can happen with BGFX and the shaders/filters from retroarch (I'll wait and see if mamedevs implement this).

I'm still on mameui/mameplus/mameuifx 0.168. I don't have the time to update to 0.172

Edited by DaffyDuck (04/07/16 12:41 PM)

Daffy Duck

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352687 - 04/08/16 04:52 PM

> In MAMEUI, you are able to click on a
> catlist's dropdown box and easily view and navigate quickly all the subcategories. In
> official MAME, it's a bit different, there's no dropdown box for catlists that have
> subcategories. And so when you want to view those subcategories, it's more tedious to
> do so.)

See, this is an actionable item like Haze was looking for. We can change MAME to have a dropdown for categories, and copy whatever else it is that makes MAMEUI comfortable for you.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352688 - 04/08/16 04:54 PM

> now the only think that is missing from mameui is scale effects like scale2x, hq2x
> etc. (like in mameplus)

Stock MAME will have that soon.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Zaghadka]
#352689 - 04/08/16 05:02 PM

Alright, these are some useful answers.

> Being able to sort the game list by "Directory." Stock MAME can't do this, and it
> makes it much easier to find gamesets for troubleshooting.

What's a "directory" in the MAME context? Like each folder of your rom path?

> Hell, being able to sort
> by manufacturer and year too, instead of having to just see it one manufacturer/year
> at a time.

Can be done.

> Tabbed graphics extras pane. Stock MAME uses an annoying arrow system that
> forces you to cycle through each piece of artwork in sequence. I would miss this the
> most. It keeps me from wanting to use IV-Play as well.

Can be done.

> Custom INI files through a
> simple "properties" box. Okay, I don't use this so much any more, but it is still the
> slickest and easiest way to configure a game ini file, or mame.ini itself.

Don't understand this one; could you explain specifically what it does?

> Game play count/game time

Can be done.

Thanks!

Edited by R. Belmont (04/08/16 05:04 PM)

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#352695 - 04/08/16 05:55 PM

Another feature that many like is the ability to just type the name of the game and have the list shoot to that (handling spaces too); currently the UI implementation in baseline will start to 'filter' based on the text typed.

Perhaps a toggle or shortcut key for this filter type of search, I used ctrl-f or ctrl-e for IV/Play.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Zaghadka]
#352696 - 04/08/16 06:00 PM

Just FYI, you can mouse click on the art area in IV/Play to move between art types, or you can jump directly to them w/ alt-1-0 keys if you need to. I designed IV/Play to be more keyboard and desktop centric as that's how I used MameUI and now Mame baseline's UI.

◾Tabbed graphics extras pane. Stock MAME uses an annoying arrow system that forces you to cycle through each piece of artwork in sequence. I would miss this the most. It keeps me from wanting to use IV-Play as well.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

DaffyDuck
Send PM

#352700 - 04/08/16 06:34 PM

> > now the only think that is missing from mameui is scale effects like scale2x, hq2x
> > etc. (like in mameplus)
>
> Stock MAME will have that soon.

many many thanks

Daffy Duck

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#352737 - 04/09/16 04:32 AM

I use WIndows. MameUI is a windows app. That brings along all sorts of things the dev's will know about - being able to resize the window, tabs, minimize and maximize button, dialog boxes, drop down lists, scroll bars.

I'm not saying the new UI for Mame is horrible - but it is a huge step backward in usability. Most of what it is missing is related to the normal standards that Windows apps demand. I see the new built-in UI as a backup, something to use if forced too. It' not user-friendly. It's 2016, not 1990.

As for features, Image Enhancements, as I've stated elsewhere, is a deal breaker for me. Since the built in UI doesn't have them, I won't use it. I'd rather simply not upgrade that use the new built-in UI the whole time.

I like being able to easily change the view by adding and taking away panels (for example, I don't always need the Folder List, and it's easy to show it, and then take it away).

In fact, being able to customize the fonts in the UI, the background image, the color of the font etc.... it all is better in MameUI.

That's right now, I'll add if there's anything else.

For the record, MameUI isn't perfect by any means, particularly when it comes to usability - but it's a long way ahead of the new built-in UI.

Slugal Met
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/09/16
Send PM

#352740 - 04/09/16 05:32 AM

@R. Belmont

>> Being able to sort the game list by "Directory." Stock MAME can't do this, and it makes it much easier to find gamesets for troubleshooting.

> What's a "directory" in the MAME context? Like each folder of your rom path?

I'm convinced that, by saying "directory", the poster has in mind:

The keyword here is "gamesets" as he says (meaning "romsets"), i.e. the internal-romset-string-which-uniquely-define-each-game sorting capability of the GUI, and not sorting by the game's (human readable) name (which is game description internally... if I'm not mistaken... nevermind). Although I think the term "gameset" is incorrectly used here as it may have quite different meaning than just a "romset", no offense.

>> Custom INI files through a simple "properties" box. Okay, I don't use this so much any more, but it is still the slickest and easiest way to configure a game ini file, or mame.ini itself.

> Don't understand this one; could you explain specifically what it does?

Again, IMO, the poster talks about the specific capability that the GUI has of configuring concrete game:

...which affects nothing else, but that game's .ini file (stored in the "ini" folder by default):

...and also, the GUI's capability of configuring the default emulation parameters for all games:

...which affects the default emulation settings .ini file (also stored in the "ini" folder by default):

But doesn't MAME already has this functionality built-in via the <TAB> key when IN emulation?

Or are these in-game configurations different from the configs made through the GUI?
Sorry for giving more questions than answers.

Edited by Slugal Met (04/09/16 05:58 AM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Slugal Met]
#352749 - 04/09/16 11:04 AM

There are parameters you can change in the UI that you can't by hitting TAB - for instance, aspect ratio. For example, the "Enforce Aspect Ratio" option. This option is in the new UI too though.

Am I the only one who uses the option to have the UI display the number of times I've played a game, and for how long? That's not in the new UI..........

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#352775 - 04/09/16 09:44 PM

The new integer scaling settings would be nice if accessible from the ingame sliders menu, also from the UI/ individual game properties tab.

Though if sliders settings save to cfg's, and individual game poroperties to ini's, er, then there could be clashes or sumthin? dunno...

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#352803 - 04/10/16 04:59 PM

This is sort of a question as I haven't used vanilla mame in a long time, but can the built in GUI handle the following?

1. Display a list of only the games the user currently has roms for?
2. Show the total number of available roms?
3. Ability to filter out devices, bios from list?
4. Show only Arcade or Console games in list?
5. If game is missing roms and fails to start, I'd like it to display a list of missing roms
6. A "reset to default" option in the HLSL slider controls.

These are the features I'd want in the built-in GUI.

Edited by vram74 (04/24/16 04:21 AM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#352813 - 04/10/16 07:02 PM

I'm not sure if this is possible for official MAME, but I'd like to see the following feature added to it:

You Right-click a game and you can select the option of "View Zip File Content". I believe the first derivative that had this feature was MAME Plus! eXTended. I saw this feature and liked it a lot. So I had suggested it to mamesick to add it to MAMEUIFX, which he did.

Zaghadka
MAME Groupie
Reged: 04/26/11
Send PM

Re: What would you miss about MAMEUI if it went away? new [Re: Slugal Met]
#352894 - 04/12/16 03:32 PM

Yeah, that's the features I'm talking about. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread more quickly.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#353025 - 04/15/16 12:22 PM

Considering that have been added to the official MAME, how about adding a new tabs to view in MameUI "artpreview", "bosses", "gameover", etc.?

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#353600 - 04/28/16 12:13 AM

While I'm sure I could get used to the new built-in interface of base-MAME, I've always liked using the mameUI interface and have been doing so for probably nearly as long as you've been pushing out code updates to make it happen.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6820