MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Possible artwork for mdndclab ?
#355832 - 06/19/16 06:45 AM Attachment: mdndclab.png 721 KB (1 downloads)

I have a question for the group. I was curious about doing some work on the Mattel D&D game(mdndclab).
As is, it has the internal only layout of the game board when you play. I was wondering about using a photo like this(actually I can take a better one when I find out) as a backdrop to start with. There's a lot more that could be done(wall pieces, player pieces & markers) but just the backdrop would be a great place to start. Is this possible?

I know that the clickable part would have to be re-coordinated to whatever artwork was used but that shouldn't be that difficult. I was looking at the Dr. Who fruit machine files to get an idea but I only had time to take a quick shot at it & had no success so far.

Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated. TIA

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#355834 - 06/19/16 09:41 AM Attachment: mdndclab.zip 922 KB (11 downloads)

Looks do-able, but if you're going to use a photo, I'd highly recommend getting a better one with as little flash glare as possible. You'd also need to make sure each button face was clear enough to use. It could be done as either a backdrop or a bezel. I'm not familiar with the actual game... do the buttons light up when pressed? I attached an example.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#355843 - 06/19/16 10:36 PM

Dr Who is not very similar to what you're trying to do. Something like Speak-and-Spell or one of the chess games with a large grid of clickable areas would be a better example to look at.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: Nightvoice]
#355844 - 06/19/16 11:16 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Actually no, there are no lights or anything that need to change/flash/move. It is just a simple plastic overlay. Seems like it would just be a matter of lining up the clickable parts over the correct square on the play board.

Also, that was just a quick pic to mess around with & show. I didn't think too many people would really be familiar with the game to start with. It really was a fun game for me as a kid.

If I get time this week I'll take a look at it & see if I can figure some of it out.

Thanks again!

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#355845 - 06/20/16 12:42 AM

There needs to be a way to click on/off the wall pieces and move the player 1/2 / dragon pieces around the board. This would then apply very easily to the electronic chess games that are already in MAME. I think that this same concept could be used for the games that have electronic cards in MAME, too.

A-Noid

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: anoid]
#355849 - 06/20/16 03:24 AM

> There needs to be a way to click on/off the wall pieces and move the player 1/2 /
> dragon pieces around the board. This would then apply very easily to the electronic
> chess games that are already in MAME. I think that this same concept could be used
> for the games that have electronic cards in MAME, too.
>
> A-Noid

Use -plugin layout. Only the walls work for now, though.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: Comboman]
#355850 - 06/20/16 06:00 AM

Yes those are a lot better examples. But I'm having issues with getting the png to load as the bezel. I am getting screen index errors & just the internal artwork. Is this because there are no emulated video or led screens to draw/interact with in the first place? It is all done internally when compiled & executed. Ideas?

Also, I meant to say before, doing something like this is new to me so please be patient with any seemingly asinine questions I will be asking. TIA

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#355851 - 06/20/16 09:21 AM

This game doesn't seem to be set up to work with artwork yet, but the file I posted works, as I tested it with another game.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355861 - 06/21/16 05:20 AM

Thanks, using -plugin layout worked. Looks like the click location is off for the walls, at least on my computer. Definitely a step in the right direction!

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: anoid]
#355879 - 06/22/16 01:18 AM

> Thanks, using -plugin layout worked. Looks like the click location is off for the
> walls, at least on my computer. Definitely a step in the right direction!

RB... you are correct... works fine in windowed mode... in fullscreen, the click location is off, or doesn't even register, for most rows and columns.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

crazyc
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/23/16
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#355916 - 06/23/16 07:16 PM

Quote:

RB... you are correct... works fine in windowed mode... in fullscreen, the click location is off, or doesn't even register, for most rows and columns.

This'll be fixed next release.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? Updated new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#356136 - 07/01/16 10:20 PM

Ok, here's the best I can do. If nothing else the photo is a bit better quality & you can just put it in your "artwork" folder.
It works fine on my machines but since I'm not sure, I can't guarantee it.
Let me know what you think. Still no walls or markers but hey, it's a start. Don't even know if it's possible to do anything like that yet. Any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Enjoy, (hopefully)!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00554805984480460418

Edited by Bad A Billy (07/01/16 10:21 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Possible artwork for mdndclab ? Updated new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#356140 - 07/01/16 11:54 PM

> Ok, here's the best I can do. If nothing else the photo is a bit better quality & you
> can just put it in your "artwork" folder.
> It works fine on my machines but since I'm not sure, I can't guarantee it.
> Let me know what you think. Still no walls or markers but hey, it's a start. Don't
> even know if it's possible to do anything like that yet. Any other ideas or
> suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Enjoy, (hopefully)!
>
> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00554805984480460418

Added to the MESS Artwork page (for now)

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2876