View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Odyssey 2 Voice emulation
#359050 - 09/28/16 04:43 PM

Latest version... 177..... How do I enable the voice module for games like KC's Crazy Chase? Yes, I have the Voice roms, but I can not figure out how to enable them....

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: sirscotty]
#359071 - 09/29/16 12:52 AM

> Latest version... 177..... How do I enable the voice module for games like KC's Crazy
> Chase? Yes, I have the Voice roms, but I can not figure out how to enable them....

I checked and you are able to select first "The Voice" cartridge via softlist File Manager, then go back and attach the cartridge you wish to use in the passthrough device, for example "Attack of the Time Lord".
You can also use the command-line to get it working: mame odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2 timelord
"voice" and "timelord" are the short names of the games in the softlist (like mslug is short for metal slug in MAME). I chose the timelord example because you can tell right off if it is working or not.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: Tafoid]
#359073 - 09/29/16 01:40 AM

This is interesting.
Can you insert timelord in cart1 and voice in cart2 slot or the voice must be inserted in cart1 slot ?
I'm asking because I don't have either cartridges and I'm not familiar with the Odyssey2 system.
My frontend Emu Loader doesn't have this function yet. You can only run the selected game (single cart).

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#359075 - 09/29/16 02:15 AM

> This is interesting.
> Can you insert timelord in cart1 and voice in cart2 slot or the voice must be
> inserted in cart1 slot ?
> I'm asking because I don't have either cartridges and I'm not familiar with the
> Odyssey2 system.
> My frontend Emu Loader doesn't have this function yet. You can only run the selected
> game (single cart).

As it is currently set up.. no.

The Voice is set up as a special cartridge (likely be become a slot option, I reckon) which must be plugged in to allow function of that cart for other cartridges.
The Intellivision (INTV) is set up the same way where you -cart1 the Intellivoice then use -cart2 for the other cartridge: mame intv -cart1 voice -cart2 b17bomb
Atari 2600 has a similar setup where you are required to use the Starpath Supercharger (-cart1 scharger) in order to open up the ability to use any cassette images in a2600_cass: mame a2600 -cart1 scharger -cart2 offifrog

It isn't elegant, but it is what we have to deal with at this time to use these hardware/pass through/media combinations.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#359077 - 09/29/16 03:46 AM

> > This is interesting.
> > Can you insert timelord in cart1 and voice in cart2 slot or the voice must be
> > inserted in cart1 slot ?
> > I'm asking because I don't have either cartridges and I'm not familiar with the
> > Odyssey2 system.
> > My frontend Emu Loader doesn't have this function yet. You can only run the selected
> > game (single cart).
>
> As it is currently set up.. no.
>
> The Voice is set up as a special cartridge (likely be become a slot option, I reckon)
> which must be plugged in to allow function of that cart for other
cartridges.
> The Intellivision (INTV) is set up the same way where you -cart1 the Intellivoice
> then use -cart2 for the other cartridge: mame intv -cart1 voice -cart2 b17bomb
> Atari 2600 has a similar setup where you are required to use the Starpath
> Supercharger (-cart1 scharger) in order to open up the ability to use any cassette
> images in a2600_cass: mame a2600 -cart1 scharger -cart2 offifrog
>
> It isn't elegant, but it is what we have to deal with at this time to use these
> hardware/pass through/media combinations.

It is elegant though - these cartridges plug into the cart slot on the console (-cart1), and supplies you with another cart slot for your game (-cart2). The second cart slot is not present if the pass-through cartridge is not inserted. This matches real life perfectly, and is not going to change.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#359078 - 09/29/16 03:47 AM

Thank you so much!! It worked great!! I have been using MameUI/MessUI forever, and am finally getting away from them as I have heard there are problems. I have been using O2EM with a front end and while it *did* work, I wanted something newer, as it would sometimes give me graphics problems, and the speech was sampled instead of emulated. I am now using the LaunchBox front end for most systems and this thing is AWESOME!! Just needed the command line to add the voice. Worked like a charm!! Thanks again!!

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#359079 - 09/29/16 03:53 AM

Thanks for the details.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#359091 - 09/29/16 12:48 PM

> It is elegant though - these cartridges plug into the cart slot on the console
> (-cart1), and supplies you with another cart slot for your game (-cart2). The second
> cart slot is not present if the pass-through cartridge is not inserted. This matches
> real life perfectly, and is not going to change.

No, it is not elegant, and it does not match real life perfectly.

Having -cart1 and -cart2, indexed thus, implies heavily that the original console has two cartridge slots. It doesn't.

The correct way that this should be handled is for the voice cartridge to add its own child slot, which more accurately reflects how the hardware worked:

-cart voice -voice:cart kcmunchkin

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#359093 - 09/29/16 01:55 PM

> > It is elegant though - these cartridges plug into the cart slot on the console
> > (-cart1), and supplies you with another cart slot for your game (-cart2). The
> second
> > cart slot is not present if the pass-through cartridge is not inserted. This
> matches
> > real life perfectly, and is not going to change.
>
> No, it is not elegant, and it does not match real life perfectly.
>
> Having -cart1 and -cart2, indexed thus, implies heavily that the original console has
> two cartridge slots. It doesn't.
>
> The correct way that this should be handled is for the voice cartridge to add its own
> child slot, which more accurately reflects how the hardware worked:
>
> -cart voice -voice:cart kcmunchkin

yeah, gotta agree with Moogly here, this becomes even more important in more complex situations.

there are yet more complex situations still where a single devices needs to be connected in 2 places in order to function, but that bridge can be crossed later.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#359099 - 09/29/16 03:16 PM

> The correct way that this should be handled is for the voice cartridge to add its own
> child slot, which more accurately reflects how the hardware worked:
>
> -cart voice -voice:cart kcmunchkin

That's ugly, and more typing. The actual user-and-documentation-friendly way would be for it to reset "cart1" each time there's a device that adds another slot. This reinforces that it's the same kind of cart slot each time.

-cart voice -cart kcmunchkin

(Genesis)
-cart 32x -cart chaotix

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: R. Belmont]
#359100 - 09/29/16 04:02 PM

> That's ugly, and more typing. The actual user-and-documentation-friendly way would be
> for it to reset "cart1" each time there's a device that adds another slot. This
> reinforces that it's the same kind of cart slot each time.

That's literally the stupidest thing I've seen all week and falls apart like a house of cards the moment you start dealing with systems that have multiple slots, which can have devices added which themselves add multiple slots. Your proposal essentially results in a parameter-ambiguity fuckfest.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#359104 - 09/29/16 04:40 PM

> > That's ugly, and more typing. The actual user-and-documentation-friendly way would
> be
> > for it to reset "cart1" each time there's a device that adds another slot. This
> > reinforces that it's the same kind of cart slot each time.
>
> That's literally the stupidest thing I've seen all week and falls apart like a house
> of cards the moment you start dealing with systems that have multiple slots, which
> can have devices added which themselves add multiple slots. Your proposal essentially
> results in a parameter-ambiguity fuckfest.

Sure, it wouldn't work in a complex parameter-ambiguous situation (then you'd need to fall back to your syntax), but for the relatively common case of a chain of things with identical slots on both ends it does simplify things. It makes the easy things easier without further complicating the hard things.

Haze
Send PM

#359109 - 09/29/16 05:36 PM

> > > That's ugly, and more typing. The actual user-and-documentation-friendly way
> would
> > be
> > > for it to reset "cart1" each time there's a device that adds another slot. This
> > > reinforces that it's the same kind of cart slot each time.
> >
> > That's literally the stupidest thing I've seen all week and falls apart like a
> house
> > of cards the moment you start dealing with systems that have multiple slots, which
> > can have devices added which themselves add multiple slots. Your proposal
> essentially
> > results in a parameter-ambiguity fuckfest.
>
> Sure, it wouldn't work in a complex parameter-ambiguous situation (then you'd need to
> fall back to your syntax), but for the relatively common case of a chain of things
> with identical slots on both ends it does simplify things. It makes the easy things
> easier without further complicating the hard things.

in reality you're going to have 'simple' cases and complex cases..

in the end the long syntax will probably end up becoming

mame64 megadriv -slot megadriv:cart,32x:edge -slot 32x:cart,tempo:edge

of something like that

of course you could assume certain things, like if no first parameter is specified it's the base machine, and if no 2nd parameter is specified it's the only connector but even then you'd have

mame64 megadriv -slot :cart,32x:edge -slot 32x:cart,tempo:

which is still ugly..

of course you could go on compatible interfaces, so that you could also assume the 32x:edge goes in the megadriv:cart and reduce what you need to specify further..

but yeah, at some point we're going to have to be able to specify which slot we're using on BOTH sides without simply indexing them.

keeping a simplified version of it around for the most common use cases makes a lot of sense tho.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: Haze]
#359111 - 09/29/16 07:16 PM

wow. This is getting more complicated by the minute.
I'm sorry I asked about the slots. I think I might have started a war in this thread

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#359130 - 09/29/16 11:38 PM

Just a heads-up that the a7800/a7800p systems-driver works similar for its respective slotted devices:

mame a7800 -cart1 xm -cart2 xxxxxxx.a78
mame a7800 -cart1 hiscore -cart2 xxxxxxx.a78
mame a7800 -cart1 xboard -cart2 xxxxxxx.a78

xxxxxxx = Any a7800 ROM (with header).

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: Trebor]
#359134 - 09/30/16 01:19 AM Attachment: emloader-load-cart-slots.png 33 KB (0 downloads)

I'm thinking on implementing something similar to my other frontend, EmuCon.
Select two cartridges in the games list and hit ENTER (or mouse double-click).

Then a slots dialog would presented so you can choose what ROM goes into slot1 and what goes into slot2.
See attached picture.
-slot1 and -slot2 parameters are OK for this situation, isn't it ?

But, a7800 and odyssey2 machines has only one cart slot listed in -listxml output. Does MAME accept -cart2 as parameter for these machines anyway ?
I'll have to download the voice ROM and a game ROM for Odyssey 2 so I can test this.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by CiroConsentino (09/30/16 01:20 AM)

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#359135 - 09/30/16 01:36 AM

> I'm thinking on implementing something similar to my other frontend, EmuCon.
> Select two cartridges in the games list and hit ENTER (or mouse double-click).
>
> Then a slots dialog would presented so you can choose what ROM goes into slot1 and
> what goes into slot2.
> See attached picture.
> -slot1 and -slot2 parameters are OK for this situation, isn't it ?
>
> But, a7800 and odyssey2 machines has only one cart slot listed in -listxml output.
> Does MAME accept -cart2 as parameter for these machines anyway ?
> I'll have to download the voice ROM and a game ROM for Odyssey 2 so I can test this.

That is the trick, those items mentioned above often expand or add to the options in -listmedia outside of normal. So, if you mount any hardware device/game/whatever you should have your front-end perform a check, for example:
mame a2600 scharger -listmedia
If there are any new media entries, they will be listed and in this case (-cass) is shown. In the other 'voice' options, (-cart2) is added.

Edited by Tafoid (09/30/16 01:36 AM)

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#359139 - 09/30/16 03:48 AM

I see. Thanks.
This shows that I still have much to learn about MAME.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Haze
Send PM

#359144 - 09/30/16 01:19 PM

> wow. This is getting more complicated by the minute.
> I'm sorry I asked about the slots. I think I might have started a war in this thread

It's just a discussion (I hope)

It's a complicated subject, especially if you want to do it properly and give a user the full flexibility they would have had with a real system(s)

representing that on a commandline is tricky

even something like the 32x in reality not only required you to connect the device into the cartridge slot, but also a video mixer cable if you wanted the proper video signal.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#359148 - 09/30/16 05:28 PM

Quote:

It's a complicated subject, especially if you want to do it properly and give a user the full flexibility they would have had with a real system(s)

representing that on a commandline is tricky

Yes, my frontend relies on MAME running games/machines from command line. It will probably never be able to fully support non-arcade systems. But I do what I can.
MAME's internal frontend already does a good job.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#359153 - 09/30/16 07:28 PM

>
> Sure, it wouldn't work in a complex parameter-ambiguous situation (then you'd need to
> fall back to your syntax), but for the relatively common case of a chain of things
> with identical slots on both ends it does simplify things. It makes the easy things
> easier without further complicating the hard things.

Yeah some kind of advanced mode with full power and a standard mode with the common setup.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#359154 - 09/30/16 07:50 PM

> in reality you're going to have 'simple' cases and complex cases..
>
> in the end the long syntax will probably end up becoming
>
> mame64 megadriv -slot megadriv:cart,32x:edge -slot 32x:cart,tempo:edge
>
> of something like that

I have no real interest in what the syntax of the options are, and my gut feeling is that it's something that will likely have to evolve over time as different use cases for it are found. However, I would like to pose the following question:

Will this ultimately permit specifying an order for daisy-chained devices attached to any system port?

As an example, I'll take the Atari 800 since it's a machine I'm familiar with.

On-board, there are two cartridge slots and an Atari-standard SIO port for peripheral connection. Conceivably, there could be pass-through devices in both cartridge slots with cartridges attached to them, plus devices on the SIO bus that need to be chained in a specific order so that they can function properly (such as the 850 serial interface or SX212 modem). This could also apply to the joystick ports as well, since there were non-joystick peripherals (notably 80-column cards and speech synthesisers) that were controlled from them - and on the XL- and XE-series machines, the almost-totally-unused Parallel Bus Interface is also there.

Perhaps machine-specific syntax might be best, since the use cases are going to be dictated by the platform in use. Something like:

a800 cart1:passthroughdevice:frogger.bin cart2:passthroughdevice:pacman.bin sio:d1,dos25.atr:d2,blank.atr:cassette,draconus.cas:850;parallel0,printer;serial0,modem stick0:speechsynth

It looks ugly (and a system configured this way would never boot), but from reading it I can literally visualise exactly how all of these components would have been physically-attached to a system. Colons separate each individual device; semicolons indicate a port or other point of connection on a specific device; commas denote what is attached to that point of connection.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: casm]
#359164 - 09/30/16 10:32 PM

> > in reality you're going to have 'simple' cases and complex cases..
> >
> > in the end the long syntax will probably end up becoming
> >
> > mame64 megadriv -slot megadriv:cart,32x:edge -slot 32x:cart,tempo:edge
> >
> > of something like that
>
> I have no real interest in what the syntax of the options are, and my gut feeling is
> that it's something that will likely have to evolve over time as different use cases
> for it are found. However, I would like to pose the following question:
>
> Will this ultimately permit specifying an order for daisy-chained devices attached to
> any system port?
>
> As an example, I'll take the Atari 800 since it's a machine I'm familiar with.
>
> On-board, there are two cartridge slots and an Atari-standard SIO port for peripheral
> connection. Conceivably, there could be pass-through devices in both cartridge slots
> with cartridges attached to them, plus devices on the SIO bus that need to be chained
> in a specific order so that they can function properly (such as the 850 serial
> interface or SX212 modem). This could also apply to the joystick ports as well, since
> there were non-joystick peripherals (notably 80-column cards and speech synthesisers)
> that were controlled from them - and on the XL- and XE-series machines, the
> almost-totally-unused Parallel Bus Interface is also there.
>
> Perhaps machine-specific syntax might be best, since the use cases are going to be
> dictated by the platform in use. Something like:
>
> a800 cart1frogger.bin cart2pacman.bin
> sio:d1,dos25.atr:d2,blank.atr:cassette,draconus.cas:850;parallel0,printer;serial0,modem
> stick0:speechsynth
>
> It looks ugly (and a system configured this way would never boot), but from reading
> it I can literally visualise exactly how all of these components would have been
> physically-attached to a system. Colons separate each individual device; semicolons
> indicate a port or other point of connection on a specific device; commas denote what
> is attached to that point of connection.

the daisy-chain order is pretty much already specified by the order you use the -cart parameters, although the behavior in terms of system emulation might not be 100% yet.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#359320 - 10/04/16 04:25 AM

This is what happens when I try your command.....

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Odyssey 2 Voice emulation new [Re: sirscotty]
#359321 - 10/04/16 04:40 AM

> This is what happens when I try your command.....

I mistyped.. meant:
mame a2600 -cart1 scharger -cass offifrog

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3216