MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

John_RM_1970
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/05/17
Send PM

Is it possible to use PNG file for Outrun's Shifter ?
#362247 - 01/05/17 01:07 AM

Hi all, love the forum. Some great artwork here.

I am currently doing a personal project for creating realistic 1920x1080 overlays for MAME.

I have a few artwork packages from some here and in a few, Pole Position for example, the shifter is a couple of PNG images for Hi and Low. They look great, nicer than the stock shifters.
So I thought about taking examples from the Pole Position default.lay and using them in Outrun. Problem is, the PNG is displayed but doesn't change when shifting. The Mame default still works.
Are these hard-coded for specific games ?

Is it possible to do a similar Pole Position effect in Outrun ?

Any help most appreciated.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to use PNG file for Outrun's Shifter ? new [Re: John_RM_1970]
#362252 - 01/05/17 06:29 AM

It is definitely possible, I did one a while back.
OutRun

I also posted artwork for a few other games with shifters if you are interested (Turbo, Spy Hunter, Sprint, TX1, SuperBug and DragRace, just do a search in the artwork forum).

Copying the Pole Position lay file didn't work for you because each game is slightly different and requires a different inputtag and inputmask to link to the shifter. The best place to start is with the default lay file for the game (if it has one). Any game with the default semi-transparent on-screen shifter will have one.

John_RM_1970
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/05/17
Send PM

Re: Is it possible to use PNG file for Outrun's Shifter ? new [Re: Comboman]
#362264 - 01/05/17 06:33 PM

Comboman,
Thats fantastic.
Cheers matey.
I can't believe it was sooo simple. I was way over-complicating things trying to replicate the Pole Position lay.

After a bit of trial and error I was able to do a quick test using similar lay settings to you.

Appreciate the help.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1440