Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DamienD
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/31/05
Send PM

MameUI64 - Issues
#363168 - 02/03/17 05:29 PM

Heya John IV,

Hope that you are well?

Firstly let me start off by saying that I love MameUI64 (and previously Mame32). I've been using them since 2000 or so

I've just recently moved from "MameUI64 v0.160" --> "MameUI64 v0.180" and there are few issues I'm experiencing.

1) Freeze when moving through game selection:

Once MameUI64 has loaded I start a game. When finished I exit the game.

It then takes 15 seconds before I can scroll through, select another game.

2) Swapping between Snapshots & Titles:

The first time I try to swap between Snapshots & Titles it takes 15 seconds to occur. All good now when scrolling through games, swapping back and forth.

If I then start a game, exit when finished and try swapping between Snapshots & Titles it takes another 15 seconds to occur.

This last thing isn't an issue, more of a question and can it be re-enabled.

Regarding "HLSL", the tick box is no longer present under "Default Game Options" --> "Advanced" tab. I can hack the "raster.ini" file to add "hlsl_enable = 1" but would be cool if this could be added back into the next build.

Let me know if you need more information and look forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Damien.

DamienD
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MameUI64 - Issues new [Re: DamienD]
#363169 - 02/03/17 07:27 PM

Don't worry guys; have worked out what's causing issues 1) & 2)...

I was using "snap.7z" and "titles.7z"; if I do either of the following all is perfect again

a) Extract all files from the archives into the "Snap" and "Titles" directories.

b) Rezip all files into archives "snap.zip" & "titles.zip".

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MameUI64 - Issues new [Re: DamienD]
#363195 - 02/04/17 11:48 AM

> Don't worry guys; have worked out what's causing issues 1) & 2)...
>
> I was using "snap.7z" and "titles.7z"; if I do either of the following all is perfect
> again
>
> a) Extract all files from the archives into the "Snap" and "Titles" directories.
>
> b) Rezip all files into archives "snap.zip" & "titles.zip".

yeah, if anybody is stupid enough to enable 'solid mode' compression with something like that you'll get the problem you describe, it's expected.

things like that should be used in an appropriate way, you can quite easily do .7z *without* having Solid compression enabled, which would be more appropriate for this use case, but people do seem to like to misuse the tools they have available to them. This is a shame because ultimately it ends up leading to somebody deciding to give people less choice so that they can't fuck things up, which then has a negative impact on the people who are using them in an appropriate way. (this is why software keeps getting dumbed down)

DamienD
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MameUI64 - Issues new [Re: Haze]
#363198 - 02/04/17 12:17 PM

Yeah totally my fault Haze, I downloaded these from http://www.progettosnaps.net/ but didn't bother running through ClrMAMEPro like I usually do

Anyway... at least I worked out what was going on and maybe this thread will help someone else.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#363204 - 02/04/17 10:08 PM

Quote:

yeah, if anybody is stupid enough to enable 'solid mode' compression with something like that you'll get the problem you describe, it's expected.

I guess I'm stupid. I didn't know there was any difference when decompressing a file. I thought it was only slower when doing the original compression.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MameUI64 - Issues new [Re: redk9258]
#363206 - 02/04/17 10:33 PM

> yeah, if anybody is stupid enough to enable 'solid mode' compression with something
> like that you'll get the problem you describe, it's expected.
>
> I guess I'm stupid. I didn't know there was any difference when decompressing a file.
> I thought it was only slower when doing the original compression.

no, in solid mode you have to decompress *all* the data to get one file.

that's fine if you're going to need the majority of the data anyway, which is typically the case for romsets and I'd 1000% recommend it there as the best choice aside one or two exceptions, but it's completely not fine for things like snapshots, where you have to decompress a stupid amount of data for a single image.

using the tools available properly is important.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#363217 - 02/05/17 06:22 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check to see if I have any in solid mode.

wwjd
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/16/09
Send PM

Re: MameUI64 - Issues new [Re: redk9258]
#363410 - 02/11/17 06:32 PM

[EDIT] SOLVED!! I just used Win10 COMPATIBILITY like Win7 and runs perfectly now

First, I want to admit, I am one of the stupid ones, because I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I used to load up MAMEUI, tell it where the roms are, and start playing. Never had to know anything about any compressions at all, it just worked.

Now, MAMEUI 64 and 32 and previous versions fail, and almost lock up my computing while doing nothing. I can click the pull down menus and they high light, but never pull down, and getting to TASK MANAGER takes like 2 minutes. It used to be instant.

Is THIS related to some compression setting somewhere? If there a better version of MAMEUI I should use.

My system is a fresh build Win10, Nvidia 1070, i7 with 32GB ram. Everything else runs fantastic.

Ideas?

Edited by wwjd (02/12/17 05:04 PM)

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2309