Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363578 - 02/16/17 08:09 AM

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar...StatCounter.svg
>
> Poor firefox, you just got too damn slow on old computers

And buggy / crash prone .... and a rotten memory hog.

Moose

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: Moose]
#363597 - 02/17/17 12:21 AM

> >
> >
> > Poor firefox, you just got too damn slow on old computers
>
> And buggy / crash prone .... and a rotten memory hog.

more that they kept trying to be Chrome to the point most people thought "let's just use Chrome"

there even seems to be talk that 'noscript' etc. will break soon, which is literally the ONLY reason to use Firefox these days.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: Haze]
#363598 - 02/17/17 12:31 AM

That seems kind of a nuts thing to say. It looks more to me like chrome stole all of firefox's ideas and designs? I'm not talking about the code under the hood of course.

Microsoft's Edge is still somehow suffering from IE's dimwit designs. How Microsoft gets some things so right and some things so wrong is amazing.

Haze
Send PM

#363599 - 02/17/17 12:39 AM

> That seems kind of a nuts thing to say. It looks more to me like chrome stole all of
> firefox's ideas and designs? I'm not talking about the code under the hood of course.
>

well I'm certainly not the only one saying it.

A lot of the forced UI changes over the years have made it more and more like Chrome and the ability to customize it slowly stripped away.

There are MANY discussions on the subject, so they don't really need repeating here, but it very much has been Firefox morphing into Chrome.

There are other dubious decisions in the process too, like making everything click to play *except* the most insecure of the lot (Flash) which really starts to make people question motives.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#363600 - 02/17/17 12:44 AM

Maybe I just jumped on the chrome bandwagon late but the exact look, bookmark etc. placement and plugin system I had in firefox long before I'd even heard of chrome.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#363601 - 02/17/17 01:19 AM

>
> Poor firefox, you just got too damn slow on old computers

I use Firefox both on my computer and on my android cellphone. And I use it in my tablet, when I get to turn it on.

I really don't follow trends, like I'm still developing in Pascal when almost everyone is using one of the newgen languages or C/Java. I'll go back to linux before upgrading to Win10. I also like my undies from ears to toes and eat dinosaur meat whenever I can get it.

What I don't get is M$ leaving the 'browser wars' (is that still happening?) since now Edge is still not very good at features and they've recognized IE as outdated and insecure.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: Pi]
#363602 - 02/17/17 01:27 AM

I don't really give up on programs that I used for years, both from being loyal to those who gave me something cool and because I don't want to readjust to changes, but firefox became painfully slow on computers that aren't high end and chrome is very fast. It got to a point where I threw my hands up in the air.

Edge is insanity. The edge of sanity. The only reason I ever use it is some sites get things blocked in chrome because of, I guess, an ad blocker, and they aren't ads and still don't show up when I pause the ad blocker.

Haze
Send PM

#363606 - 02/17/17 02:41 AM

> I don't really give up on programs that I used for years, both from being loyal to
> those who gave me something cool and because I don't want to readjust to changes, but
> firefox became painfully slow on computers that aren't high end and chrome is very
> fast. It got to a point where I threw my hands up in the air.
>

I think adblockplus started to slow Firefox down a lot, switching to ublock origin improved performance massively on my low-end machine, unfortunately as with any game of whack-a-mole the more difficult the ads become to detect / block the more complex the code to do so becomes, although actually allowing the ads to run is even worse for performance because they too are becoming more complex and offensive.

Everything slowed down in general tho due to extra layers of encryption and such, real shame that a machine that could easily play 720 content a few years back now stutters and stalls on the most basic of low bitrate youtube videos regardless of browser with no real end-user benefit.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#363628 - 02/17/17 06:47 PM

A modern low-end gfx card will fix it for you but its still a shame you have to do that.

Had all kinds of stuttering issues on YouTube, Hulu etc. till I threw a 1050Ti in my HTPC. All good now. An Rx460 or regular 1050 would've been more than enough for video playback, but I wanted to game a bit, so the Ti it was.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: DiodeDude]
#363630 - 02/17/17 08:13 PM

> A modern low-end gfx card will fix it for you but its still a shame you have to do
> that.
>
> Had all kinds of stuttering issues on YouTube, Hulu etc. till I threw a 1050Ti in my
> HTPC. All good now. An Rx460 or regular 1050 would've been more than enough for video
> playback, but I wanted to game a bit, so the Ti it was.

Having to use a last-gen graphic card for streaming video is a shame. There's something rotten in Denmark, I tell you, when you're forced to upgrade it for YouTube.

And it's not some new game you want to run at max settings. YOUTUBE. Damn it.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

LOL, I'm not sure if you're trolling me or not but... new [Re: Pi]
#363632 - 02/17/17 10:50 PM

I'm only sharing my experience.

I had all kinds of playback problems until I swapped out my old Radeon HD6450 for the 1050Ti. Every single problem went away. No stuttering, buffering...no probs at all.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: LOL, I'm not sure if you're trolling me or not but... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#363637 - 02/18/17 02:29 AM

Not trolling. Just saying that I started when '640kb should be enough for everyone'. Yet I felt like my pretty good computer was lacking because it had 4gb ram until past december I bought 4 more. In the past, software used to adapt to hardware. Quake was pretty good without any add-on gfx accelerator, and playable on medium level hardware (admiteddly it was not designed with low-end hardware in mind). But today... Something is a memory hog? More ram. Something goes slow? Upgrade this, put more beef there, change everything...

About Firefox, it's not slow here and I rarely visit any site with ads which slow me down. I tend to not visit those sites anymore, instead of using any ad blocker. I didn't like Chrome too much all the times I've used it, and I've tried to change back to old style whenever Firefox changed UI to something 'new', 'trendy' or 'chromelike'. I still have my top main menu.

But yes, it's a memory hog. I've read some articles about Firefox' roadmap on slimming it, but I don't know how succesful that'll be, if it's ever done. Most things tend to become bloatware with time, e.g. Avast! now is hideously bloated, specially since the last program update. I don't want an antivirus to mess with program priorities.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: LOL, I'm not sure if you're trolling me or not but... new [Re: Pi]
#363638 - 02/18/17 03:27 AM

They had a project called memshrink. Not sure it is going on anymore. Looks like they have given up all the gains they had made.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink
https://areweslimyet.com/

No-script is pretty much the only reason I still use it. Switching to ublock from adblock helped a lot.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#363646 - 02/18/17 05:22 PM

I still use it today because of the plugin system. However it's annoying they update it so much many reliable plugins stopped working or don't work at all. Cookiesafe, Image Zoom and Download Statusbar being my own examples. Now we have copies into the add-on page with smaller patches that work around a solution without a proper nor official fix. Then we are on Firefox v51, seriously? That wouldn't be a problem if Mozilla supported their main feature that differentiates it from the rest. I have auto update turned off now and I'm afraid of manually updating because who knows what plugin will stop working now.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: BIOS-D]
#363647 - 02/18/17 05:32 PM

Have you not found a way to get an acceptable setup in chrome?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#363648 - 02/18/17 06:27 PM

> there even seems to be talk that 'noscript' etc. will break soon, which is literally
> the ONLY reason to use Firefox these days.

I use Firefox exclusively on my Android phone because you can install plugins like uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. Chrome on Android doesn't allow those plugins.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#363650 - 02/18/17 07:04 PM

They peek enough through my privacy to given them even the main keys of my PC. I'm also considering switching to Linux soon and setting a permanently offline Windows PC.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: The chrome rapeover and the IE toilet bowl swirl new [Re: BIOS-D]
#363663 - 02/19/17 01:54 AM

I just found out the other day that they completely removed about:permissions a few months ago without a replacement. Now there's no way to audit which sites have camera/microphone/location permissions, and the only way to remove such permissions is to browse to the site in question, then change it in page info. This is just stupid, there's no way to find out that you've accidentally set permissions for a site to know to navigate to it to fix it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1749