View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Game Save In MAME
#364577 - 03/23/17 09:45 PM

I know not all games can be saved in MAME. When I try to save Puzzle Uo Poko it appears to save properly but when I try to load the save I get the message "Unable to load due to pending anonymous timers". Could someone give me a superficial explanation of what an anonymous timer is? Directing me where to find out would be great also. Just trying to learn a little.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: DrLarryE]
#364578 - 03/23/17 11:03 PM

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: Robbbert]
#364589 - 03/24/17 05:53 AM

Works fine here in .183 ...What derivative or version are you using?

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#364596 - 03/24/17 05:05 PM

> Works fine here in .183 ...What derivative or version are you using?

it's an old, old bug, so unless it's resurfaced it was fixed ages ago.

I suspect the poster didn't specify the version number on purpose. It could be they just didn't think it was important but I've noticed a lot of places people aren't posting their version numbers because they don't want people to tell them 'upgrade to a newer version' when in fact upgrading to a newer version is the correct (and only) solution to their problems, even if that also means updating roms, redoing their config files or in some cases upgrading their PC etc.

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: Haze]
#365027 - 04/08/17 10:32 PM

Sorry I didn't post the version, but I didn't leave it out on purpose. I just didn't think the question through. But my question was really what is an anonymous timer or where could look to learn a little about it on my own

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#365062 - 04/10/17 01:47 AM

> Sorry I didn't post the version, but I didn't leave it out on purpose. I just didn't
> think the question through. But my question was really what is an anonymous timer or
> where could look to learn a little about it on my own

it's a timer that is created / destroyed on the fly while MAME is running as and when it is needed.

this causes problems for save states as the MAME save state system expects states to be of a predefined size with everything known in advance, it's also generally bad practice.

in 99% of cases they've now been replaced with proper driver/device timers that are allocated on startup.

the only 'advantage' of anonymous timers was that you didn't have to keep track of them and they could be triggered and run multiple times simultaneously and finish multiple times but typically this is a design flaw as that should never happen on hardware.

but really, they were bad and should never have existed.

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: Haze]
#365072 - 04/10/17 12:25 PM

Thank you and I promise in the future to be more complete in in my questions or update MAME before I ask them.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#365081 - 04/10/17 05:41 PM

Curious,just playing at the Amiga 1200 and trying to save game, the same error appears to me. (Usin 0.184)

RETRODANUART.COM

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Game Save In MAME new [Re: Sthiryu]
#365085 - 04/10/17 08:13 PM

> Curious,just playing at the Amiga 1200 and trying to save game, the same error
> appears to me. (Usin 0.184)

The Amiga driver is labeled not working and they are also not labeled as supporting save states. I presume that is part of the few drivers still not fixed or converted as per Haze's previous mention.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1494