MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Moon Cresta attract mode bug (side-by-side test)
#366400 - 05/29/17 01:09 PM

Hello,

For a while now, I've noticed that the MAME emulation of Moon Cresta (although very good) doesn't quite reflect the game itself - at least in the attract mode. I was curious to find out what was the actual problem so I've spent some time comparing both.

So, I've taken a video of both running at the same time to try and isolate the problem - which I think I've now done.

Note that the arcade version runs slightly faster - so this has been taken into account when starting the PCB and emulated versions. This is so that the actual shooting bit in the attract mode is at about the same point - as this is where the problems lie.

As the waves start, both ships move the same - so no issues here.

It is the *firing* that is the problem.

As the first wave starts (at around 46 seconds), the ships fire consistently: 1 bullet, 2 bullets, 1 bullet, 2 bullets, 1-2-1-2 etc. The problem is the second wave. MAME continuously fires without a pause as the first wave ends and the second waves begins 1-2-1-2 etc.

However, on the arcade version, it does the following: 1-2-1-2...1 (pause as second wave begins) 2-1-2-1 etc. You can see this at around 53 seconds.

This causes the sequence to fail and MAME ends a few seconds later than the arcade version.

Not sure what in the emulation would cause this. but if we are after perfection, then it should be noted as a bug.

I suspect the actual game play is perfect so I think this only affects the attract mode.

This bug may also possibly affect Moon Quasar (which was a sequel to this game). I'll check it out.

https://youtu.be/Sbor3yBRIWM

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Moon Cresta attract mode bug (side-by-side test) new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#366402 - 05/29/17 08:20 PM

I noticed, in every version of the game (originals, bootlegs, clones, etc), that in the second docking sequence of the attract mode, that the ship(s) always end up below the "III" ship. The sequence ends in docking failure. I wonder if the bug that you pointed out affects this sequence as well. Your video doesn't reach that part of the attract, but have you noticed this at all? I'm curious if this is just the natural behavior of the game, as it's been many years since I've seen the game in the wild...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Moon Cresta attract mode bug (side-by-side test) new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#366404 - 05/29/17 11:02 PM

Hi Brian, interesting that you should mention that. I've just videoed Moon Quasar and, to be honest, it's way out on the attract mode. And I mean, way out. I'll upload a video shortly. I think I'll do a further Moon Cresta video and upload that. We should then be able to get a good comparison of all of the attract mode.

Hopefully, the MAME dev's can work their magic.

BTW, if nothing else, it shows how important it is to compare to the original hardware.

Cheers

G

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366422 - 05/30/17 07:42 PM

Hi Brian, I am uploading a Moon Cresta video right now which gives the full attract mode.
Here is something interesting ...

Playing MC on my Sony PSP (Mame4All PSP v4.9r2) looks to be perfect. I believe it's based on either 0.34 and 0.36.

Gary

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366424 - 05/30/17 08:42 PM

HI Brian,

Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/zvgvL2G1Mrk

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1638