View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jznethan
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/05/17
Send PM

was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load
#366571 - 06/05/17 05:12 PM

I was messing around with the video modes. I switched from auto to the next one (none?) and now it loads a black screen. Tried erasing everything including sdl and restarting. Installed the newest version and same thing. any way to get it back up and running? on new MacBook pro. thanks!

/Desktop/mame0186-64bit/mame64 ; exit;
Warning: -video none doesn't make much sense without -seconds_to_run
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Edited by jznethan (06/05/17 05:24 PM)

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: jznethan]
#366572 - 06/05/17 06:05 PM

First thing, sadly i cant help with this, cause i dont use OS X for MAME, but its unnecessary to even have such a function in regular MAME, as we can see here, what can happen to a novice user. From a developer point of view, its absolutely ok and maybe even necessary for debugging and such, but it would be easier and better to provide "developer" MAME versions, so that such things cant happen.

jznethan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: uman]
#366573 - 06/05/17 06:47 PM

Makes sense. Any idea why uninstalling everything, restarting and reinstalling would leave it the same though? Does it make those video changes somewhere else on the computer? Thanks!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: uman]
#366575 - 06/05/17 09:22 PM

> it would be easier and better to
> provide "developer" MAME versions, so that such things cant happen.

This kind of myopic viewpoint is exactly why you aren't and will never be an actual MAME team member. "-video none" exists for more reasons than just development: Benchmarking, using the vgmplay driver, or any other driver which doesn't have explicit video output and thus would result in an ugly full-sized screen saying "System has no screen output" in ugly letters.

But no, you didn't consider any of those situations, because you're completely convinced that you're right, and you're convinced that the MAME team are a bunch of idiots who would literally eat their own shit if it weren't for your stellar, brilliant guidance, and that we all somehow managed to just YOLO our way into emulating tens of thousands of games. Get bent.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#366576 - 06/05/17 09:34 PM

> Makes sense. Any idea why uninstalling everything, restarting and reinstalling would
> leave it the same though? Does it make those video changes somewhere else on the
> computer? Thanks!

First off, please forget everything "uman" typed.

Secondly, you activated "-video none" meaning "no video output". This is used to do CPU benchmarks with MAME and contrary to what uman says it's a function ordinary users do all the time so we all know what computers to buy.

Thirdly, the new setting was written to MAME's configuration data. Run with "-video auto -cc" to restore a sane video mode and force it to overwrite the configuration data.

-RB, Mac/Linux porting guy

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366577 - 06/05/17 10:11 PM

> > it would be easier and better to
> > provide "developer" MAME versions, so that such things cant happen.
>
> This kind of myopic viewpoint is exactly why you aren't and will never be an actual
> MAME team member. "-video none" exists for more reasons than just development:
> Benchmarking, using the vgmplay driver, or any other driver which doesn't have
> explicit video output and thus would result in an ugly full-sized screen saying
> "System has no screen output" in ugly letters.
>
> But no, you didn't consider any of those situations, because you're completely
> convinced that you're right, and you're convinced that the MAME team are a bunch of
> idiots who would literally eat their own shit if it weren't for your stellar,
> brilliant guidance, and that we all somehow managed to just YOLO our way into
> emulating tens of thousands of games. Get bent.

I have to agree. MAME is a tool. Having separate 'pro' and 'lite' versions would inevitably lead to more bugs and more complaints

jznethan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: R. Belmont]
#366579 - 06/05/17 10:32 PM

Thanks!
Now not to be too much of a noob, how can I run it w additional strings like that on the mac? I'm not too sure how this terminal stuff works. I've just been double clicking it to load it up.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#366588 - 06/06/17 03:58 AM

I think the file you have to remove on Mac is "~/Library/Application Support/mame/ui.ini" (i.e. go to you home directory, then go into the Library folder, go into the Application Support folder in the library folder, and then go into the mame folder you find in there, and delete ui.ini)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#366589 - 06/06/17 04:02 AM

> Thanks!
> Now not to be too much of a noob, how can I run it w additional strings like that on
> the mac? I'm not too sure how this terminal stuff works. I've just been double
> clicking it to load it up.

See my other reply - you have to remove the problematic ui.ini where the setting is saved:

• Open a finder window
  • From the "Go" menu choose "Go to Folder…" (shift-cmd-g)
  • Type "~/Library/Application Support/mame" (without the quotes) in the box and click "Go"
  • Trash the ui.ini file

jznethan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: was working, changed video mode, now doesn't load new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#366590 - 06/06/17 04:48 AM

sweet! finding this folder helped. i went into the mame.ini and changed the video from none to auto, saved it and it loaded right up! thanks!

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#366680 - 06/09/17 07:29 PM

> This kind of myopic viewpoint is exactly why you aren't and will never be an actual
> MAME team member. "-video none" exists for more reasons than just development:
> Benchmarking, using the vgmplay driver, or any other driver which doesn't have
> explicit video output and thus would result in an ugly full-sized screen saying
> "System has no screen output" in ugly letters.
>
> But no, you didn't consider any of those situations, because you're completely
> convinced that you're right, and you're convinced that the MAME team are a bunch of
> idiots who would literally eat their own shit if it weren't for your stellar,
> brilliant guidance, and that we all somehow managed to just YOLO our way into
> emulating tens of thousands of games. Get bent.

Well i apologize my foolishness then, in the hope you accept at least that. I didnt know that the majority of users do benchmarking MAME in their freetime and can only do that with that function. Also i wouldnt mind an ugly full-sized screen saying "System has no screen output" in ugly letters, cause one more or less, what does that matter?

People who just want to play Donkey Kong with their children, would at least know whats going on. Joining the MAME team, never was and never will be my intention. How you come to this conclusion, is beyond my scope.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#366681 - 06/09/17 08:08 PM

> somehow managed to just YOLO our way into
> emulating tens of thousands of games.

to be honest, sometimes I feel like that's exactly what I did ;-)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1606