Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

'Been considering building a Gaming PC
#370017 - 09/30/17 08:32 PM

My target cost was $1200.00 to $1500.00... But I might settle with what I've listed below (which is over $2000.00). I think I'm taking the bigge$t hit on the Graphics card...

Having went to pcpartpicker.com, (since I can't help but to feel almost like I'm playing darts here, while blindfolded), these are what I've picked so far... Some items aren't listed, but it should give a general idea.

Intel - Core i7 - 7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU
MSI - Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVI-Series 2.25" SSD
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Video Card
Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus - Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card

link removed, no longer relevant

So, any suggestions on anything I could swap out, or probably wouldn't need...? Or any other recommendations?

As for the 2 Drives... I read a post by VasCrab where he said he had programs stored to his SSD, and files stored to his disc drive. I don't know off hand how one would go about doing that, but I guess that's another topic for another time.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/12/17 03:55 PM)

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: 'Been considering building a Gaming PC new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370060 - 10/03/17 02:10 AM

> So, any suggestions on anything I could swap out, or probably wouldn't need...? Or
> any other recommendations?

Your build has no case fans! Protect your investment. I'd skip the sound card and spend $$ on a couple of silent case fans. The bigger the better, larger fans move lots of air at lower RPM which translates to less noise. Look up the case at the manufacturers website to see what size fans it has mounting holes for and where. Mind the direction of the airflow, you want cool air blowing across the motherboard, cool air coming in and hot air going out. Look out for little arrows on the inside of the fan shrouds that indicate the direction of the air flow. Bonus achievement build-points if your case allows the intake fan to blow air across the hard drives.

> As for the 2 Drives... I read a post by VasCrab where he said he had programs stored
> to his SSD, and files stored to his disc drive. I don't know off hand how one would
> go about doing that, but I guess that's another topic for another time.

Uh lol right-click, save as? it means that you save/keep all your stuff, whatever you download, import from other devices etc on the mechanical drive. For example you would keep your music, videos and photos on the mechanical drive rather than in your user folder hierarchy, "My Documents", Windows "Library" folders etc which are on your SSD where Windows is installed.

Software that you update (or the kind that likes to constantly update itself) regularly such as MAME or, say, antivirus software is also a candidate. And your bittorrent downloads folder. Basically anything that doesn't really benefit from the speed of the SSD and does a lot of writes - keep in mind that the whole idea is to minimize unnecessary writes to your SSD. If you have lots of RAM (16GB qualifies I guess) you could also consider keeping the Windows page file on a mechanical drive.

For anything that needs a "temp" folder for working with huge (media) files (encoding, recording, super high res photo editing, compiling MAME etc) ideally you would use a folder on a mechanical drive, all such software should allow you to set the location of this folder or "scratch drive". For example I do a fair amount of multitrack recording and audio editing, I would never dream of recording to an SSD. I have separate 7200 RPM drives for that which are more than fast enough.

All my games, my Steam library is on a mechanical drive. It's too big to reside on my SSD anyway, which is only 128GB...out of which 53GB go unused.

S

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: 'Been considering building a Gaming PC new [Re: Sune]
#370070 - 10/03/17 05:16 AM

> > As for the 2 Drives... I read a post by VasCrab where he said he had programs
> stored
> > to his SSD, and files stored to his disc drive. I don't know off hand how one would
> > go about doing that, but I guess that's another topic for another time.
>
> Uh lol right-click, save as?

Hm, yeah. Seems kind of obvious now that I think about it... I've only had machines with 1 drive. & besides, I'm sure I can figure it out (e.g. SEE IT) once I get a PC with 2 (or +) drives.

As for the Gaming PC... Someone else had a build that seems to match what I was looking for. (Something about) the Gaming Enthusiast (build). It has an i7, and a 1080 graphics card... And is around $1500.00

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Edited my reply. TL:DR skip the sound card, get case fans! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370071 - 10/03/17 05:32 AM Attachment: Capture.PNG 12 KB (0 downloads)

> Hm, yeah. Seems kind of obvious now that I think about it... I've only had machines
> with 1 drive. & besides, I'm sure I can figure it out (e.g. SEE IT) once I get a PC
> with 2 (or +) drives.

Of course. And you can always add more drives. Drive space is just a desktop shortcut away.

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#370091 - 10/03/17 05:44 PM

Don’t forget the motherboard.
I got an Asus ROG Maximum VIII hero last year. Excellent!
Also, I would highly reccomend an m.2 SSD The speed will blow your mind. Go with Samsung m.2

Hopefully this year’s motherboards have better options for more of these drives. The Asus has m.2 express ports but only intel makes drives for them so they are stupid expensive.

Yes, skip the sound card. A decent motherboard’s onboard system does a great job. You can always reconsider later.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: 'Been considering building a Gaming PC new [Re: TrevEB]
#370100 - 10/04/17 07:49 AM

> Don’t forget the motherboard.

Quote:

MSI - Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

I didn't forget.

> I got an Asus ROG Maximum VIII hero last year. Excellent!
> Also, I would highly reccomend an m.2 SSD The speed will blow your mind. Go with
> Samsung m.2
>
> Hopefully this year’s motherboards have better options for more of these drives. The
> Asus has m.2 express ports but only intel makes drives for them so they are stupid
> expensive.
>
> Yes, skip the sound card. A decent motherboard’s onboard system does a great job. You
> can always reconsider later.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the explanation.

eta: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Lj7Ycf/enthusiast-intel-gaming-build

This is the "enthusiast" (rig) I was referring to. I might go by that when I have time to study it more closely... To see what parts I picked and how it compares to this.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/04/17 08:03 AM)

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#370103 - 10/04/17 03:31 PM

> eta: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Lj7Ycf/enthusiast-intel-gaming-build
>
> This is the "enthusiast" (rig) I was referring to. I might go by that when I have
> time to study it more closely... To see what parts I picked and how it compares to
> this.

I agree with their choice for power supply. Seasonic is the best.

I think the water cooling is overkill but I guess if overclocking is the goal, then it's probably necessary with that CPU.

I only buy ASUS motherboards. I don't trust anything else.

I would buy a Samsung SSD over SanDisk.

For the "normal" hard drive, I always go with a 5400 RPM Western Digital Green or Red. Slower RPM means it runs cooler, uses less power, and generally has a longer life. I've never had one fail.

For memory, I'd go with G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series. Whatever is the best seller on Newegg.com and compatible with your motherboard choice. G.SKILL sells a LOT of memory and they have a very good reputation for compatibility.

$500 is a lot to spend on a video card, but if you want to play the latest games with all the eye candy turned on, I guess that's required. I only play older stuff so I think a $150 GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is more than enough.

For your build, have you considered building a "compact" PC? Start with either a Mini-ITX board or a Micro-ATX board and pick an appropriate small case. With modern PCs, most of the case will be empty. In my opinion, there's no reason to have a giant case.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

TrevEB
Send PM

#370105 - 10/04/17 05:09 PM Attachment: DC543CBC-B186-4094-A871-DF44E262773C.jpeg 316 KB (0 downloads)

Here’s most of my 2016 pc
The Corsair 650D is awesome. So easy to work inside, add drives, cable manage, and space enough for that corsair water cooler you want
I believe the replacement model is very similar. The dropped the front door which is actually a good idea. Mine tends to stay open much as I want to have it closed. It was impossible to find a floor model at Fry’s that did not have a missing or broken door.
Would you believe my PSU is from 2008? Solid... & lucky
After building this rig for my Oculus, I still got grief that my 280 nvidia card was not good enough so I just went FINE! and got the screamer.
One thing I only noticed recently, San Francisco Rush now plays smoothly!
It may be even smoother than the real thing. Finally!
I chose the Alexir memory because its freekin cool. Now many companies have pulsing led lights. Nice bling!
I just purchased a 6 TB seagate drive to handle the enormous footprint Mame/Mess takes. I’m a completeist.
Combined with steam, I’ve got 3 TB to spare.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#370106 - 10/04/17 05:14 PM Attachment: 1ABD751C-0A16-47CB-B6F1-DB804735AF4B.jpeg 625 KB (0 downloads)

Case

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#370107 - 10/04/17 05:14 PM Attachment: BFAFDCFC-E392-4232-838F-786D3EF38606.jpeg 250 KB (0 downloads)

PSU

Attachment

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: 'Been considering building a Gaming PC new [Re: krick]
#370111 - 10/04/17 07:13 PM

> For your build, have you considered building a "compact" PC? Start with either a
> Mini-ITX board or a Micro-ATX board and pick an appropriate small case. With modern
> PCs, most of the case will be empty. In my opinion, there's no reason to have a giant
> case.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it... As for building a compact PC? No. I didn't consider that... But I think I will now.

One thought in the back of my mind, regarding the 1080 GPU... I really don't see myself getting a whole lot of games. The, eh, "Biggest" game in my Steam Library is Hitman... It was on sale and I couldn't resist, even if my laptop with an i3 can't touch it. & I've got 6 or 7 more games that my laptop can't handle, and a few more on my wish list. Yet, I don't know what games will come out in the future that I might just HAVE TO HAVE.

I may go with a 1060, or 1050(?)... *sigh* So much to consider.

ETA: & Thanks to TrevEB too.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/04/17 07:14 PM)

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#370112 - 10/04/17 07:50 PM

> Would you believe my PSU is from 2008? Solid... & lucky

One thing to be aware of with newer CPU and motherboards (Haswell+ ?) is that they have a low power mode (or modes) that some older power supplies don't handle properly. This will sometimes result in the computer crashing when entering/leaving sleep mode and possibly other times. I think it was part of one of the newer ATX power supply specs. I'll try to see if I can find some info.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: 'Been considering building a Gaming PC new [Re: krick]
#370120 - 10/05/17 02:01 AM

Really?!

That is very interesting.
Generally my machine wakes up just fine but on occasion it won't get the monitor to wake up and the most annoying thing is my Logitech Brio (windows hello) camera usually does not wake up and see me until I reboot.

Edit: well the PSU is Haswell ready and a quick check shows its fine with Skylake. Back to blaming Logitech.

I'll have to research that too. Thanks

Edited by TrevEB (10/05/17 02:08 AM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Mini ITX case build... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370155 - 10/06/17 06:22 PM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pGJ7qk

There's a video of this build, but it doesn't look like it could have a hard-drive fit... Maybe an external drive would be possible... Or, just get a slightly larger case.

Another thing, on that site, it doesn't seem like you can pick any smaller cases. Unless I just don't know how to do it. Okay. There are checkmarks. I didn't notice them before.

Edit2: Also, the price on the case!

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/06/17 06:33 PM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

MY_Mini ITX case build... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370162 - 10/06/17 10:27 PM

Link removed, no longer relevant.

I'd rather have this case, but it didn't seem to be available on the partpicker site.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...4-024-_-Product

Still not too thrilled about the price... But I'm thinking I'll go ahead and buy a few parts here and there every week or 2. The GPU might be the last thing I buy. Which might give me more time to consider a more economical option.

Keyboard, mouse, speakers... I should be okay there, actually.

In the part list, I do have a case fan... But the white case apparently has a fan included. Should I ditch the extra case fan?

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/12/17 06:10 PM)

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: MY_Mini ITX case build... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370169 - 10/07/17 03:24 AM

That's a sweet looking case. Check out some reviews on YouTube to see if people like it.

I think this is the case on PC Part Picker...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NnL7YJ/phanteks-case-phes215pwt

It looks like it doesn't have a spot to put an optical drive. This is getting more and more common with new cases.

PC Part Picker also indicates that the CPU cooler radiator might not fit.

It comes with a 200mm fan. That's probably plenty. You can always add more fans later, but most of the time, extra fans are overkill with modern systems.

EDIT: If you want a little more flexibility with components, you could look at microATX cases. This one is pretty popular (and it has a spot for an optical drive...

SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6F5RY9087

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-O5grk3Qfk

If you want a build that goes together like a jigsaw puzzle, check out this sweet case...
https://www.techspot.com/article/697-small-form-factor-gaming-pc/

Edited by krick (10/07/17 03:58 AM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: MY_Mini ITX case build... new [Re: krick]
#370182 - 10/07/17 11:46 AM

> That's a sweet looking case. Check out some reviews on YouTube to see if people like
> it.

> SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E

Mmmm... Temjin. :homerdrool:

The CPU cooler I chose is rather large (3 fans). But, I've seen some with just one fan (and a radiator below that)... AND, I don't plan on overclocking (or even needing to) anyway. Changing that shouldn't be a problem.

As for an optical drive... I think I can get away without having one. I have one on my laptop... If I should just happen to need one, I'm sure I can figure something out.

Edit: I was going to ask about installing Win10 when I don't have an optical drive... Looks like I can still use the disc, but “Create installation media for another PC” and use a USB flashdrive.

lol. Truth be known... I've already ordered the case.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bb4YvV

Updated again. Once I change anything, I'll just edit the above link... mainly for me to keep track of.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/12/17 03:57 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#370187 - 10/07/17 06:05 PM

So you ordered the Phanteks case? Here's a good review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Xe-V0M8Wo

Note: I REALLY like the tower cooler they used in their build. I still don't trust water coolers.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

Here's the motherboard compatibility list for this cooler...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

To create a USB installation of Windows 10, you don't even need the DVD...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by krick (10/07/17 07:11 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#370198 - 10/08/17 04:03 AM

That Arctic Alpine 11 GT CPU cooler isn't going to cut it for your CPU.

The cooler is "Recommended for TDP up to: 65 Watts" according to their website.

While an Intel Core i7-7700K Processor has a TDP 91 Watts.

This is a much better choice...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Maximum TDP 180 Watts, according to Newegg.

There's plenty of other decent choices under $25. Make sure you pick one with a "PWM" fan. This means that the fan speed changes based on system load. It makes for a MUCH quieter system.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#370352 - 10/16/17 10:39 AM

Might be getting this keyboard...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...S7771-_-Product
Or
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...90723-_-Product

& probably this mouse...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...3-117-_-Product

Hard to find a white mouse... But this is cheap... er, less expensive. They'll go nicely with my white case and monitor.

Although, there's this keyboard too (except it's black ).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...X1483-_-Product

I still have yet to order the monitor and GPU. The monitor seems to keep decreasing in price... But everything else is being shipped in the next few days.

As for speakers... I'll stick with headphones in the meantime. Or, I could hook up my old speakers from my WinXP machine, if I really need some (and assuming there'd be no compatibility issue).

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/16/17 03:55 PM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Build order and other newb antics.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370468 - 10/21/17 07:43 AM

I'll be getting the GPU by Tuesday (10-24-17), as well as the mouse and keyboard. Other than speakers, which I can get by without and use headphones, or just hook it up to my current speakers that I use with my laptop, I think I should be good to go. That is; if nothing got screwed up while I was putting this together.

I'll just post as to how I built this, and how I'd do it differently if I were to build another one.

And what I'd do different is... The CPU cooler was tedious to fiddle with. With the cooler/radiator(?) (the larger metal part) being in the way, it was difficult to screw in the top left screw to hold the MB, and connect the wires for the CPU, I'm thinking it'd be better that it be the very last part to put on.

I put in the i7 CPU, ...and I might as well disclose this, as embarrassing as it is. I then put on the thermal paste (not a lot, but probably still a bit more than I should've). Then put on the metal bracket for the CPU cooler on the underside of the MB. I was wearing rubber gloves... And touched the paste. I didn't make too big of a mess, a small bit got on a few of the capacitors next to the CPU. So, I wiped it off with a paper towel and cotton swab. I really hope that won't mess it up. But that was with the paste that came with the cooler. I squeegeed that off of the CPU and then applied the other paste (Arctic Silver).... (I see why they give you more than you'll need ).

Anyway... Then I put in the Ram... Then I mounted to MB to the inside of the case. Yeah, I knew to put the plate in through the back first.

Then I noticed a small blue film that said 'REMOVE' on it. So, I pulled on it... It took a bit, but it started to come out... Then it pulled this off-white/greenish soft/sticky thing with it, but only part way. At this point I'm like "WTF!?"

I guess it's a small compartment for some kind of small card... Like for memory or something. I dunno.

So, I figured I better put it back in. A screw on the top of this thing was very hard to get out. I had to remove the screws holding down the CPU cooler so I could turn it slightly to get that top screw out.

I never lifted the radiator off of the CPU, it only slid around a small bit. Again, I so hope that won't 'F' something up.

The wiring... I'm thinking for some of the wires I'm just too worried about if anything should go to a specific thing. The wires for the MB seem obvious since they only have certain places they'll fit. The ones marked 'Peripheral & SATA' must be for the drives... But not having the GPU yet, I think I'll hold off until I get that to connect anything else.

I guess all I should worry about is if it fits or not. With the square and (rounded) connectors... It should pretty much be idiot proof.

Tom says; "Hold my beer!"

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/21/17 07:49 AM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Build order and other newb antics.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370473 - 10/21/17 06:34 PM

> But that was
> with the paste that came with the cooler. I squeegeed that off of the CPU and then
> applied the other paste (Arctic Silver).... (I see why they give you more than you'll
> need ).

Why did you put two kinds of thermal paste on the CPU?

> Then I noticed a small blue film that said 'REMOVE' on it. So, I pulled on it... It
> took a bit, but it started to come out... Then it pulled this off-white/greenish
> soft/sticky thing with it, but only part way. At this point I'm like "WTF!?"
>
> I guess it's a small compartment for some kind of small card... Like for memory or
> something. I dunno.
>
> So, I figured I better put it back in. A screw on the top of this thing was very hard
> to get out. I had to remove the screws holding down the CPU cooler so I could turn it
> slightly to get that top screw out.

I think you're talking about the M.2 connector...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

Didn't your motherboard come with a manual? It should tell you what it is.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Build order and other newb antics.... new [Re: krick]
#370475 - 10/21/17 08:43 PM

> > But that was
> > with the paste that came with the cooler. I squeegeed that off of the CPU and then
> > applied the other paste (Arctic Silver).... (I see why they give you more than
> you'll
> > need ).
>
> Why did you put two kinds of thermal paste on the CPU?

No. Sorry for not making it clear with my rambling... I first put the paste on that came with the Cooler Master CPU cooler, then (since I put it on too early) I accidentally touched it while putting the metal part for the cooler on the back. ...And, after getting ticked-off at myself for not using my head, I watched a video on installing it, where (they) said to not use the thermal paste that came with the cooler, but to use the Arctic Silver. I wiped away the thermal paste that I first put on.

And here I was thinking I'd have to return the Arctic Silver paste.

>
> > Then I noticed a small blue film that said 'REMOVE' on it. So, I pulled on it... It
> > took a bit, but it started to come out... Then it pulled this off-white/greenish
> > soft/sticky thing with it, but only part way. At this point I'm like "WTF!?"
> >
> > I guess it's a small compartment for some kind of small card... Like for memory or
> > something. I dunno.
> >
> > So, I figured I better put it back in. A screw on the top of this thing was very
> hard
> > to get out. I had to remove the screws holding down the CPU cooler so I could turn
> it
> > slightly to get that top screw out.
>
> I think you're talking about the M.2 connector...
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
>
> Didn't your motherboard come with a manual? It should tell you what it is.

Yes, yes, you're right. But I made that post while I was at work and didn't have the manual with me.

So it's essentially a smaller and faster SSD, & not absolutely vital, I'm assuming/hoping...?

I recall reading that... & since it was something I didn't have, I didn't think it was that important anyway (at the time).

Edit: This was after I removed the film.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/21/17 08:45 PM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

It's working... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370527 - 10/25/17 04:36 AM

The only oddity at this point seems to be that I can't see the HDD in Windows. It appeared when I first booted it up and it went into a BIOS setup. And even when installing Win10.

I'm wanting the SSD to be Drive_0, and the HDD Drive_1. But I only see the SSD as a drive, to which I have Win(10) installed.

The GPU had a disc with it, so I'll probably still need to download the driver for that.

I haven't played any games on it yet, since I want to make sure I get it set up and worked out that I can save/install programs on the SSD, and have files that will be overwritten, etc. on the HDD.

About the HDD & SSD. I have them both powered from the same cable coming from the PSU. Surely I don't need to have 2 separate cables for each drive...? (Hey, no "stupid questions", right?)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: It's working... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#370530 - 10/25/17 07:12 AM

The first thing to do after installing windows is to use the driver disk that came with the motherboard to install the chipset drivers (very important!) and drivers for the integrated hardware. Then install the video card drivers.

To set up the hard drive, run diskmgmt.msc to open Disk Management.

They can be powered off the same cable. Not a problem.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1601