Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark
#385716 - 03/31/20 08:10 AM

In the Netflix series Ozark, which I highly recommend watching - it's good, there's a couple episodes that involve an arcade game called Beast Slayer. They show the arcade cabinet and footage of the game numerous times. The game is a somewhat important part of the main character's development. But, I'm pretty sure it's a fictional game. If so, where did they get the footage from? Was it from some other game? Or did they create the footage themselves?

The game appears in Season 3, Episodes 4 and 5. It may appear in further episodes, but I've only watched up to episode 5 so far.

By the way, Ozark, if you haven't seen it, has nothing to do with arcade or video games. It's about a man who launders money for the cartel.

Edited by Big Karnak (03/31/20 08:19 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark *edit* new [Re: Big Karnak]
#385717 - 03/31/20 08:34 AM

>there's a couple episodes that involve an arcade game called Beast Slayer. They show the
>arcade cabinet and footage of the game numerous times. The game is a somewhat important
>part of the main character's development. But, I'm pretty sure it's a fictional game. If
>so, where did they get the footage from? Was it from some other game? Or did they create
>the footage themselves?

Thanks taz-nz.

Game doesn't look familiar to me. Good luck to anyone else searching what game it could be in case it is an actual game.

Edited by gregf (03/31/20 08:30 PM)

taz-nz
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/26/07
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: gregf]
#385719 - 03/31/20 01:11 PM

its also in 3x07

cabinet:

Marguee:

side art:

Control panel:

Title screen:

In Game:

In game 2:

In game 3:

death fade out:

looks fake to me, very little game play.

If all else fails, Burn the manual.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: taz-nz]
#385860 - 04/09/20 09:05 PM

>

That's very obviously 99999% fake...

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: ICEknight]
#385862 - 04/09/20 10:51 PM

I've been watching Ozark since season 1. I'm about half way through the latest season. This game is obviously not a real arcade game. And if you notice, every time he plays it, it's just the same screen played over and over again.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#385865 - 04/09/20 11:50 PM

>That's very obviously 99999% fake...

I would have thought the same with that long ago creepy looking photograph of Last Apostle Puppet Show game play image that used to be on Bobby Tribble's unMAMEd site. That photo looked like it was some phony image that would have appeared on Snopes "Is this an actual game? Or not?" I need to find that photo again and uploaded it here later because it was one of those images that one had to stare at and wonder "Why was that game ever made?"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: gregf]
#385867 - 04/10/20 12:58 AM

> I would have thought the same with that long ago creepy looking photograph of Last
> Apostle Puppet Show game play image that used to be on Bobby Tribble's unMAMEd site.
> That photo looked like it was some phony image that would have appeared on Snopes "Is
> this an actual game? Or not?" I need to find that photo again and uploaded it here
> later because it was one of those images that one had to stare at and wonder "Why was
> that game ever made?"

Home Data were making mahjong games with crude digitised photos in them (long before Midway popularised the technique with Mortal Kombat). They decided to use the technology for something a bit different. It isn’t entirely surprising for Home Data to have done that. The knight in that picture looks very post-2000 indy pixel art PC game though. The art style doesn’t look like anything used in arcade games.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#388971 - 12/10/20 08:53 PM

Its probably just a video showing the fight scene then a typical high scores and such. I have to say (spoiler alert) I thought Beast Slayer was going to get slain in episode S03E07

I guess ultimately this is up to someone in hollywood taking interest in Mame for these titles and artwork to be shared.

It would be interesting to know what is involved for a show to included games. Do they need licensing rights to show Asteroids?
Did Stranger Things have to chat with LeisureGames to have Dragon’s Lair on set?

On the other end of the spectrum you have the movie Shazam showing Mortal Kombat on the xbox months before the game was released. Obvious product placement.

So many shows just cheap out and use Atari2600 pacman or something else with the sounds from that title. Ugh!

Arcade scene with options 1-3
1. I don’t care (2600 pac-man)
2. I sorta care (fake machines with fake or real titles playing)
3. I care a lot! (Actual titles, most often Atari)

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: TrevEB]
#388972 - 12/10/20 11:30 PM

Using copyrighted material in commercial productions is usually not covered under fair use, so I imagine they do have to get permission. I’m not sure if Pac-Man is considered a simple geometric shape, but the ghosts and sound are certainly under copyright.

Who actually owns the rights to particular versions of games can get hairy.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#388973 - 12/11/20 01:14 AM

> >
>
> That's very obviously 99999% fake...

The lack of a full-sized gap between the words HIGH SCORE is a dead giveaway too. If you're using tile-based hardware like most 70s/80s games (and even 90s 2D games), the fonts are always the same width e.g. 8x8 or 8x16 or 16x16 regardless of whether it's an I, a W, or a space (or Z, 4, Q, another Q, a third Q, the Batman symbol etc.)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: TrevEB]
#389163 - 12/24/20 05:10 AM

> So many shows just cheap out and use Atari2600 pacman or something else with the
> sounds from that title. Ugh!

I've mentioned this before, but there are big stock sound effect libraries produced by various places in Hollywood that are widely used for both films and video games. At my previous job we had one of the libraries (I think it was the Warner Brothers one) and the "video game sounds" were indeed 2600 Pacman.

You're supposed to modify the sounds to make them your own with various effects VSTs or Ableton's sample-chopper or whatever, but a lot of sound designers just use them as-is. This is why the very distinctive Resident Evil 1 UI sounds also appear in several other games and a few movies.

bullit
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/02/21
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: Big Karnak]
#390512 - 04/02/21 09:17 AM

Hi,

As I was watching I noticed this game, but most important the music at the end when the kid looses.

May be the game is a fake but the music is real.
I don't know from witch game but I know for sure because I heard it in a french rap music : casseurs flowters, prends des pièces.
You can go listen to this sound, they're sampled Mario Bros' coin sound and many more I can't remember.
But I m sure I hear the same sample music in this song and in Ozark .
Does anyone have a clue ?

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#390542 - 04/03/21 06:00 PM

Kind of like the fake arcade machine in the movie "the last starfighter"

I remember alot of kids was expecting to see an actual machine to be produced to both take advantage of and help advertise the movie... Hell I was kinda waiting for one to show up!!

Only here to annoy...

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: Renegade]
#390546 - 04/03/21 08:26 PM

Well not quite,

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/the-last-starfighter-the-atari-arcade-game-that-never-was/

The game was to expensive, the movie kinda faltered, it was 1984 so the whole arcade crash thing. It would have been cool for sure but its a dang hard game. Would have been hard to commit quarters to it.

The article got the year wrong for the Atari 800 release. I was playing it late 1984. Played the hell out if it. Was there an early leak of the game? This is one of those games that has 2 titles, like Rescue on Fractulas.

Nate
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/10
Send PM

Re: Beast Slayer arcade game from Netflix series Ozark new [Re: R. Belmont]
#390697 - 04/18/21 02:30 AM

that would make sense seeing as Warner owned atari at the time

No64DD
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/21
Send PM

#392506 - 11/10/21 02:27 AM

Hello.
I recently came across this.
https://amymartinauctioneer.hibid.com/catalog/327527/-4-netflix-series-ozark-prop-auction/?cpage=2

Looks like they have been auctioning off alot of items from the Ozark series and Beast Slayer is next. I wonder what this cabinet was before that?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7524