MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

winbbs
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/09
Send PM

I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it?
#390957 - 05/28/21 04:24 AM

after the dismantling of the Kowloon Walled City, a notorious hong kong based-illegal building until its existence in 1994, I figured suddenly reduced many bootlegs quantities in MAME.
There had one notorious index case, some of their SF2 bootlegs written as 'Life is too short to be little' to original waring screen, it perhaps says they did a lot of code copy crime on Kowloon Walled City for this bootleg, so maybe they might have wanted to warn to citizens was must not use these copied versions.
and these examples too: 'egg hunt', 'hexa', 'system 16 beta bootleg', 'The History of Martial Arts', 'Jumping', 'Fit of Fighting', its work was probability with these groups in identical located.
then, I able to fully understand Why data east and capcom have reason to mention as "if you try playing on outside Japan into our Japanese version, would be an accomplice with their bootlegging crime.'

Edited by winbbs (05/28/21 07:35 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: winbbs]
#390962 - 05/28/21 01:32 PM

No, almost no hacks came from the Walled City. Japanese cyberpunk media derived a lot of its aesthetics from photos of the Walled City. This is particularly obvious in things like Ghost in the Shell. The Walled City references come via Japanese cyberpunk, not from development in the walled city itself.

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: winbbs]
#390981 - 05/29/21 06:18 PM

> after the dismantling of the Kowloon Walled City, a notorious hong kong based-illegal
> building until its existence in 1994, I figured suddenly reduced many bootlegs
> quantities in MAME.
> There had one notorious index case, some of their SF2 bootlegs written as 'Life is
> too short to be little' to original waring screen, it perhaps says they did a lot of
> code copy crime on Kowloon Walled City for this bootleg, so maybe they might have
> wanted to warn to citizens was must not use these copied versions.
> and these examples too: 'egg hunt', 'hexa', 'system 16 beta bootleg', 'The History of
> Martial Arts', 'Jumping', 'Fit of Fighting', its work was probability with these
> groups in identical located.
> then, I able to fully understand Why data east and capcom have reason to mention as
> "if you try playing on outside Japan into our Japanese version, would be an
> accomplice with their bootlegging crime.'

1994 also coincides with the development of stronger copy protection schemes such as the one found in the CPS2. Neo-Geo bootlegs, however, did not slow down at all. "Life is too short to be little" is part of a quote from Benjamin Disraeli. You seem to be making some big jumps in logic and I don't see how any of this links back to Kowloon Walled City at all.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: Rotwang]
#390985 - 05/29/21 09:37 PM Attachment: 1658516_10203930532037428_8349465317466750593_o.jpg 234 KB (0 downloads)

I proposed to my wife in Hong Kong around Kowloon Walled City. Actually at the Peak around 7 years ago.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: joey35car]
#390986 - 05/29/21 10:13 PM

> I proposed to my wife in Hong Kong around Kowloon Walled City. Actually at the Peak
> around 7 years ago.

The peak is nowhere near the former location of the Walled City. The Walled City was long gone by then anyway.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#390996 - 05/31/21 05:03 PM

I know it use to be in Kowloon. Been there also. Hong Kong is small. Hopped around all the islands. Liked Macau.

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: I am convinced a lot of MAME bootlegs clone games were from Kowloon Walled City, isn't it? new [Re: joey35car]
#391066 - 06/15/21 05:01 PM

Needs a Shenmue II reference here

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 632