MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side....
#237059 - 10/22/10 10:00 PM

For three years I have been using linux primarily. But I've started using Windows 7 Pro at work. It is pretty fricken amazing. My Sansa Fuze which was an absolute bitch to get working (sort of) on Linux was 100% up and running within a second on Win 7.

What's the better 64 bit front end/mame emulator these days? I may jump ship from Linux!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237063 - 10/22/10 10:21 PM

I usually just still use good old mameui (was mame32). There are 64bit and 32bit versions.

I only have two bitches about win7. Media player is broken and likes to corrupt mp3s that have musicbrainz data in them. Also the smashing up of tasks into the taskbar. 'is that this visual studio or that one'. Pain...

Other than that it they really fixed vista up nicely. They actually made it so it doesnt take over your computer at random points in time.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: lharms]
#237067 - 10/22/10 11:02 PM

> I usually just still use good old mameui (was mame32). There are 64bit and 32bit
> versions.
>
> I only have two bitches about win7. Media player is broken and likes to corrupt mp3s
> that have musicbrainz data in them.

Use an alternate media player (fb2k ftw).

Also the smashing up of tasks into the taskbar.
> 'is that this visual studio or that one'. Pain...
>

Taskbar -> Properties -> "Taskbar buttons: never combine" should give you icons AND labels.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#237068 - 10/22/10 11:26 PM

Something so I could have two "panels" open and look at two separate trees or directories?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237073 - 10/23/10 01:17 AM

> Something so I could have two "panels" open and look at two separate trees or
> directories?

I'm not having any problem opening two explorer windows in 7?

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237075 - 10/23/10 01:29 AM

Yes, you can have many windows open. I do it all the time. It is just odd at first. Also you can use the setting Falcone was talking about to pull them apart. It just messes with the 'pin' style they are trying to do with the new gui so I ended up putting it back. My 'not liking it' was more of a preference of what I was used to.

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

#237076 - 10/23/10 01:38 AM

> directories?

commercial products like Directory Opus, XYplorer, Total Commander and others....

Daffy Duck

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#237077 - 10/23/10 01:56 AM

> directories?

Open Windows Explorer and bump it against the left edge of the screen and it will expand to fill the left half. Then open a second Explorer, bump it against the right edge and it will fill the right half of the screen.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: DMala]
#237078 - 10/23/10 02:20 AM

Also don't forget to add Classic Shell. At least the Classic Explorer part of it.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: redk9258]
#237081 - 10/23/10 03:03 AM

> Also don't forget to add Classic Shell. At least the Classic Explorer part of it.

To tell you the truth, the only thing I really miss is the status bar.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

#237084 - 10/23/10 03:45 AM

> directories?

There was this thing called xplorer² back in the days. I am not up2date regarding to WinExplorer enhancements, reason is i'm using DirectoryOpus@home and Krusader/Midnight Commander@Work.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#237087 - 10/23/10 04:23 AM Attachment: Untitled.png 2153 KB (0 downloads)

Yeah I hated the new taskbar design aswell, which is why the first thing I did was give it the Vista-ry look back.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

jazzx
JazzX-Arcade
Reged: 11/26/05
Loc: Cambridge, UK
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237181 - 10/24/10 06:17 AM

Lol - you come here to ask that question!

I just upgraded to Windies 7 64-bit.

One of the first things I did was download MAMEUI64

I was floored.

It runs just about everything full speed - Cruisin, Carnevil, NFL Blitz 2000, - all those games that I consigned to my custom-made "Technical Fail" folder (the "Fail" folder is different, it's for those games that genuinely suck) in the past.

Tekken 3 and Beatmania - just wow.

My new system is:

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i5 2.80 ghz x4
Corsair Ram 8gb
120GB Corsair solid state drive
1TB normal drive (with MAME on it)
ATI 5760 graphics

MAMEUI64 works a treat!

HADOOOOKEN!

jazzx
JazzX-Arcade
Send PM

#237182 - 10/24/10 06:20 AM

I gave up on Windows Bloat-Player years ago.

"Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" is terrific. Very lightweight, free, and plays nearly all known video file formats.

HADOOOOKEN!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: jazzx]
#237183 - 10/24/10 06:32 AM

but MPC crashes as much as windows ME, and requires a pack of codecs.

I'm starting to prefer VLC player as it has all of its codecs built in.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

AamirM
Reged: 03/31/08
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: URherenow]
#237190 - 10/24/10 07:51 AM

MPC-HC and VLC use the same backend to play the files, ffmpeg. So there is no difference in the number of formats handled. It only requires codecs for things ffmpeg doesn't have support for.

Homepage
Blog

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: URherenow]
#237196 - 10/24/10 12:29 PM

> but MPC crashes as much as windows ME, and requires a pack of codecs.
>
> I'm starting to prefer VLC player as it has all of its codecs built in.

I've been using VLC for ages. A hint: increase the cache size for all media files for much better playback / resuming (no stutter when restarting a DVD, etc). Most of the settings are 300 millisec. I tend to increase this by 10. RAM's cheap. I cannot abide stuttering.

One thing VLC still lacks is decent set of visualisations. WMP visualisations are just awesome.

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: Naoki]
#237198 - 10/24/10 02:12 PM

> Yeah I hated the new taskbar design aswell, which is why the first thing I did was
> give it the Vista-ry look back.

I use XP with the 2000 classic look. Until someone convinces me to go to W7.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: Pi]
#237221 - 10/24/10 05:20 PM

I cannot stand the blue theme in XP, even more so the XP Hills. That's why my login screen is Royale Noir with the New-Bliss Royale background. My account has the Zune theme with a Vista Winding Road. I also se the default theme to be Royale Noir.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#237230 - 10/24/10 08:17 PM

I have tried many including foobar, mpc, winamp, itunes, etc... But I keep going back to media player for my mp3 player. I like the relationships you can build up using the metadata. Mostly a plus using media center as its integration is pretty good. I know it sounds goofie but I actually like the 'pile' interface. Though I liked the tree interface from 9 better.

For video stuff I pretty much use VLC these days. Though every time I install it, it messes up the black levels pretty much every time. May switch to mpc for that.

The corruption issue for me is a rather minor reason to change media players. I can work around it by recopying the files over, setting them read only, or removing the musicbrainz tags. My biggest beef is the latest version is it actually is a step back in usability from the previous version. Such as only using 200x200 artwork. Foobar is leading the list in 'if I have to switch'. My other issue is MS has made it genuinely difficult to report issues from their website.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

#237231 - 10/24/10 08:52 PM

Yeah, sucker for punishment!!

I've given Ubuntu/Kubuntu and others a fair shake for a few years. But Windows 7 recognizes a media player without a hitch that ubuntu absolutely does not find. That and I have a bunch of games that is Windows compatible and wine/cedega/play on linux just won't handle.

Now just to get Star Trek Armada to work...

Any other "Haven't got a chance in hell" graemlins I have left?

Edited by TheBigAmbulance (10/24/10 08:53 PM)

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: Moose]
#237248 - 10/25/10 12:21 AM

> One thing VLC still lacks is decent set of visualisations. WMP visualisations are
> just awesome.

fb2k + Shpeck + the latest Milkdrop

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#237268 - 10/25/10 03:30 AM

> I use XP with the 2000 classic look.

I use 2000 with the '98 classic look

jazzx
JazzX-Arcade
Send PM

#237277 - 10/25/10 05:01 AM

> > Something so I could have two "panels" open and look at two separate trees or
> > directories?
>
> Open Windows Explorer and bump it against the left edge of the screen and it will
> expand to fill the left half. Then open a second Explorer, bump it against the right
> edge and it will fill the right half of the screen.

Lol.

Maybe you can help. This is one of the most annoying things about Windows 7.

In XP, I got into the habit of throwing any window that was in the way off the edge of the screen, quickly and efficiently. Now, when I try to do the same in Windows 7, the thrown window goes full screen!

Is there any way of stopping this behaviour?

jazzx
JazzX-Arcade
Send PM

#237278 - 10/25/10 05:06 AM

> Yeah, sucker for punishment!!
>
> I've given Ubuntu/Kubuntu and others a fair shake for a few years. But Windows 7
> recognizes a media player without a hitch that ubuntu absolutely does not find. That
> and I have a bunch of games that is Windows compatible and wine/cedega/play on linux
> just won't handle.
>
> Now just to get Star Trek Armada to work...
>
>
>
> Any other "Haven't got a chance in hell" graemlins I have left?

Is Linux Open source?

I've heard good things about it.

I would love some open source competition to Windows that could efficiently run any normal game or utility.

(Kind of like how Firefox is better than Internet Explorer - it could be done)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: jazzx]
#237280 - 10/25/10 05:23 AM

> Maybe you can help. This is one of the most annoying things about Windows 7.
>
> In XP, I got into the habit of throwing any window that was in the way off the edge
> of the screen, quickly and efficiently. Now, when I try to do the same in Windows 7,
> the thrown window goes full screen!
>
> Is there any way of stopping this behaviour?

I find it highly useful, but to each his own.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#237281 - 10/25/10 05:29 AM

> Is Linux Open source?

The needle's not even twitching on the sarcasm detector, but... really?

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

#237282 - 10/25/10 05:32 AM

> > Maybe you can help. This is one of the most annoying things about Windows 7.
> >
> > In XP, I got into the habit of throwing any window that was in the way off the edge
> > of the screen, quickly and efficiently. Now, when I try to do the same in Windows
> 7,
> > the thrown window goes full screen!
> >
> > Is there any way of stopping this behaviour?
>
> I find it highly useful, but to each his own.
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/

I find it highly offensive. Imagine dragging around windows for a quick view of underlying information, and suddenly (and unwanted) you release the button. While the dragged window is at the top of the desktop area. Often happening on crappy laptop touchpads or the like.

It's in the same league with mouse gestures and websites that use div's with content in the wrong place(aka the background).

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#237297 - 10/25/10 06:46 AM

Instead of sliding windows around just use windows key+tab and you see all your open windows stacked. Or mouseover the show desktop button which makes all open windows transparent borders to show the plain desktop.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: Reznor007]
#237311 - 10/25/10 12:55 PM

> Instead of sliding windows around just use windows key+tab and you see all your open
> windows stacked. Or mouseover the show desktop button which makes all open windows
> transparent borders to show the plain desktop.

Yes. 7 seems to have new ways to do things. Takes a bit of getting used to, but not much.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: twisty]
#237317 - 10/25/10 02:18 PM

> > I use XP with the 2000 classic look.
>
> I use 2000 with the '98 classic look

I commented about this yesterday in the bar corner and someone (who was like 8yo when 95 came out) told me that to be truly retro I should be using 95. I replied to him that the point is not only being retro, but to have also a working computer.

However, in a talk with another friend yesterday too, he told me to go back to NT 4.0, but I think that if I ever go that far, I'll do NT 3.51 instead. Those were the days.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: Any advice on Dual Pane/Split Windows in Windows Explorer? new [Re: Reznor007]
#237322 - 10/25/10 03:28 PM

I know that kind of stuff, but that's not everytime applicable (config editors and file properties, f.e.)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: DMala]
#237351 - 10/25/10 07:45 PM

> > Is Linux Open source?
>
> The needle's not even twitching on the sarcasm detector, but... really?

I like to call it "public source code grouped by ego", if only they knock off the "my distro will be better than yours" attitude and work together in only a pair of distros (one for servers and one for home users), they would stand a chance for increasing marketshare. While this happens, enjoy the incompatibilities and bugs every distro has to offer.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side.... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#237358 - 10/25/10 08:22 PM

> > > Is Linux Open source?
> >
> > The needle's not even twitching on the sarcasm detector, but... really?
>
> I like to call it "public source code grouped by ego", if only they knock off the "my
> distro will be better than yours" attitude and work together in only a pair of
> distros (one for servers and one for home users), they would stand a chance for
> increasing marketshare. While this happens, enjoy the incompatibilities and bugs
> every distro has to offer.

No argument here, but I think he was asking a much more fundamental question, "Is Linux Open Source?", which is kind of like asking, "Is water wet?", hence my confusion.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 is making me go back to the dark side... new [Re: Pi]
#237380 - 10/26/10 01:04 AM

> I use XP with the 2000 classic look. Until someone convinces me to go to W7.

I'm currently using two PCs:
one running Windows XP 32-bit
one running Windows 7 64-bit (with a VM running WinXP for certain programs)

Other than better support for newer hardware, the main reason I use Win7 is for 64-bit support. I still use 32-bit apps about 90% of the time, but it's nice to know that I can use 64-bit apps if I want too (like 64-bit MAME, for example.)

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#237449 - 10/26/10 10:52 PM

> > > I use XP with the 2000 classic look.
> >
> > I use 2000 with the '98 classic look
>
>
> I commented about this yesterday in the bar corner and someone (who was like 8yo when
> 95 came out) told me that to be truly retro I should be using 95. I replied to him
> that the point is not only being retro, but to have also a working computer.
>
> However, in a talk with another friend yesterday too, he told me to go back to NT
> 4.0, but I think that if I ever go that far, I'll do NT 3.51 instead. Those were the
> days.

Better yet go back to the original version of NT - 3.1.

Kevin Eshbach

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237505 - 10/27/10 08:10 PM

I used to have Partition Magic, but I don't know where that damn thing went.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237509 - 10/27/10 09:32 PM

GPartEd or something similar. Never mess with partitions while booted into an OS that is disk-based/residing on the same machine.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#237511 - 10/27/10 09:52 PM

.... I don't see the probelm really..
I know It's never good to mess about with the System Disk, but other than that, I don't see the problem...

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#237514 - 10/27/10 10:23 PM

Windows 7's Diskpart..

Open a command prompt and type DISKPART...

Code:

DISKPART> help

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600

ACTIVE - Mark the selected partition as active.
ADD - Add a mirror to a simple volume.
ASSIGN - Assign a drive letter or mount point to the selected volume.
ATTRIBUTES - Manipulate volume or disk attributes.
ATTACH - Attaches a virtual disk file.
AUTOMOUNT - Enable and disable automatic mounting of basic volumes.
BREAK - Break a mirror set.
CLEAN - Clear the configuration information, or all information, off th
disk.
COMPACT - Attempts to reduce the physical size of the file.
CONVERT - Convert between different disk formats.
CREATE - Create a volume, partition or virtual disk.
DELETE - Delete an object.
DETAIL - Provide details about an object.
DETACH - Detaches a virtual disk file.
EXIT - Exit DiskPart.
EXTEND - Extend a volume.
EXPAND - Expands the maximum size available on a virtual disk.
FILESYSTEMS - Display current and supported file systems on the volume.
FORMAT - Format the volume or partition.
GPT - Assign attributes to the selected GPT partition.
HELP - Display a list of commands.
IMPORT - Import a disk group.
INACTIVE - Mark the selected partition as inactive.
LIST - Display a list of objects.
MERGE - Merges a child disk with its parents.
ONLINE - Online an object that is currently marked as offline.
OFFLINE - Offline an object that is currently marked as online.
RECOVER - Refreshes the state of all disks in the selected pack.
Attempts recovery on disks in the invalid pack, and
resynchronizes mirrored volumes and RAID5 volumes
that have stale plex or parity data.
REM - Does nothing. This is used to comment scripts.
REMOVE - Remove a drive letter or mount point assignment.
REPAIR - Repair a RAID-5 volume with a failed member.
RESCAN - Rescan the computer looking for disks and volumes.
RETAIN - Place a retained partition under a simple volume.
SAN - Display or set the SAN policy for the currently booted OS.
SELECT - Shift the focus to an object.
SETID - Change the partition type.
SHRINK - Reduce the size of the selected volume.
UNIQUEID - Displays or sets the GUID partition table (GPT) identifier or
master boot record (MBR) signature of a disk.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: Naoki]
#237520 - 10/28/10 12:16 AM

> .... I don't see the probelm really..
> I know It's never good to mess about with the System Disk, but other than that, I
> don't see the problem...

Perhaps you will learn the hard way.

I didn't have any partitioning accidents yet thankfully, which is a wonder with all the power outages we have down here.

S

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: Sune]
#237522 - 10/28/10 12:35 AM

I'd rather learn other than the hard way.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: Naoki]
#237523 - 10/28/10 12:43 AM

> I'd rather learn other than the hard way.

So let it be.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#237524 - 10/28/10 12:47 AM

So what's the massive danger anyway? I mean, I've always messed about with partitions ither than on my Main disk and have no problems. The only problems I've had is either Disk Failure or bad sectors.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#237548 - 10/28/10 05:43 AM

You have to be careful with partitions in Vista and Windows 7.

SATA drives and newer hard drives are very sensitive to partition alignment. Tools from the XP era won't properly align partitions.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#237559 - 10/28/10 12:12 PM

> I used to have Partition Magic, but I don't know where that damn thing went.

IMHO Partition Magic is still the partitioning king for Windows, although it's commercial and blah blah blah. But Jazzx is right, GPartEd (in a livecd) is a great option, and it's free.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: Pi]
#237561 - 10/28/10 02:12 PM

> IMHO Partition Magic is still the partitioning king for Windows, although it's
> commercial and blah blah blah. But Jazzx is right, GPartEd (in a livecd) is a great
> option, and it's free.

Don't try using parted or gparted on a machine that requires GPT to boot - anything Itanium-based, some servers and all Intel Macs. It took me four hours to figure out how to fix a machine's partition table after using parted on it.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Question #2: Best Windows 7 Partition Editor (Preferably Freeware) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#237602 - 10/28/10 11:12 PM

> Don't try using parted or gparted on a machine that requires GPT to boot - anything
> Itanium-based, some servers and all Intel Macs. It took me four hours to figure out
> how to fix a machine's partition table after using parted on it.

I didn't even know what GPT was. However, being such a recent technology is no excuse for GParted to not support it properly, as it claims to. Maybe it was a bug in the release you used and now its fixed. GParted has a quite decent developer base to find and fix it quickly. You know, like when cats climb hills. I know they can.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4159