MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Name that actor in that music clip from that band
#237795 - 11/01/10 10:56 AM

The clip is Angel, from Massive Attack. I'm trying to discover the name of the main actor, the guy who everyone else follows in the vid. I know there is a site devoted to this kind of information for music clips, but I can't find it either.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Not a recognised actor, but certanly as a talented musician! new [Re: Pi]
#237801 - 11/01/10 02:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygw2zmEVsvc&feature=related
Sorry I cant embed the Angel videoclip.

The answer is Grantley Marshall or Daddy G, original member of the Wild Bunch Soundsystem which later became known as Massive Attack.

I'm not sure who the first chaser is - Massive Attack are a band with a revolving cast singers and musicians, the first chaser sings in the clip so I will assume he is a singer of one or more of their songs. Daddy G is chased later by other more recognisable members of the band later on in the flmclip - Robert del Naja, Mushroom and then some extras (presumably friends of the band) join the chase.

Massive Attack are a band out of Bristol which is on Britain's West Coast. The town of Bristol has a vibrant cross cultural music scene heavily influenced by its African slave trade heritage. Bristol is credited for the trip-hop sound.

Massive Attack have great videos, check out their music clips on Youtube. Massive Attack released an excellent DVD compilation a couple of years ago which is now dated with the bands new releases.
Here's the official animated filmclip for their new single Splitting the Atom. Watch it in 720HD courtesy of the Futureshorts Channel on Youtube.

I found the official art film music clip for their previous single Paradise Circus (now rare) which was up on youtube for a little while. (Hey - you can link it on facebook).

http://www.parasitesandsycophants.com/2009/12/14/massive-attack-paradise-circus-ft-hope-sandoval/

Edited by Tingoes (11/01/10 04:15 PM)

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Not a recognised actor, but certanly as a talented musician! new [Re: Tingoes]
#237804 - 11/01/10 04:16 PM

> The Answer is Grantley Marshall or Daddy G, original member of the Wild Bunch or
> Massive Attack. Massive Attack are a band out of Bristol on Britains West Coast.

Heh, I was thinking I saw him somewhere else but no actor or movie would match. It seems I saw him several times in other music clips or maybe while reading about Massive Attack stuff. I think I've spotted him in a Prince music clip (I'll leave as an excercise for you to guess which one), or at least a guy who looks a lot like him.

I still remember when Massive Attack changed their name in 1991 to "Massive". Do you know the name of that clip compilation? Their videos are always nice.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Massive Attack DVD + the previously undocumented history of an unofficial film clip new [Re: Pi]
#237806 - 11/01/10 05:13 PM

Massive Attack's first DVD release was called Eleven Promo's.
The second and much rarer release with more clips was on the bands limited edition Collected album available as a limited edition with an extra DVD as a bonus. I am pretty sure they are all in Pal format so you will have to have a modern multizone TV and DVD player to play it on a home system, or you could just play it on your computer.
Before the band released a DVD compilation I had a pirated compile with an extra video done by a fantastic computer animator and video compositor at Omnicon Studios in Australia.
Omnicon was one of the first video production companies in the world to have an SGI flame and Mike was one of the best computer animators in the world at the time.
The flame had a large watercooled tower and was worth around two or three million dollars at the time. It sure pumped out some heat - even with the cooling tower it warmed the room.
Anyway according to the rumour I heard (a good source), Mike Seymour, the Flame operator and compositor at Omnicon in Sydney was asked to do a video for the promotional launch video for the Flame by SGI.
Mike chose to animate the song Heat Miser from his favourite band Massive Attack with the Eurochild character from the bands Protection album.
So here it is in case you missed it - enjoy. (This copy was taken off the Australian music show Channel V on cable and was shown on Australian TV when the band toured here around 1995).

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Massive Attack DVD + the previously undocumented history of an unofficial film clip new [Re: Tingoes]
#237817 - 11/01/10 09:57 PM

> I am pretty sure they are all in Pal format so you will have to have a modern multizone TV
> and DVD player to play it on a home system, or you could just play it on your
> computer.

Counting that PAL is the only system ever used in Jupiter, I think I'm on the safeside. Nonetheless I have a modern TV with multifrequency support and a multizone bluray player with the same support. So I can watch Mindcandy PC, Mindcandy Amiga and the very great Animusic 1 & 2 without any glitches.

I still need to find a way to get reasonable 5.1 output from my bluray player but without spending a large amount of money. Right now I couldn't afford buying a couple of cheap PC speakers, so... Jarre In China is still waiting to be viewed because I lost the old 5.1 system just before I tried it.

And thanks for all the info!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Massive Attack DVD + the previously undocumented history of an unofficial film clip new [Re: Pi]
#238136 - 11/05/10 09:56 PM

> So I can watch Mindcandy PC, Mindcandy Amiga and the very great
> Animusic 1 & 2 without any glitches.

Animusic is fantastic!

- Stiletto

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Massive Attack DVD + the previously undocumented history of an unofficial film clip new [Re: Stiletto]
#238179 - 11/06/10 03:57 AM

> > So I can watch Mindcandy PC, Mindcandy Amiga and the very great
> > Animusic 1 & 2 without any glitches.
>
> Animusic is fantastic!

Glad to see someone else who likes them. I think Animusic 2 is much better, when Animusic 1 was already great. I got them as an overseas gift, kind of unexpected but absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately they seem to be kind of hard to find, specially outside USA.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1981