MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Your arch rival game
#248102 - 03/06/11 07:30 AM

I mentioned on an earlier thread that in my gaming life I have never, NEVER been good at Pac Man and its variant maze clones. Everyone else I know is relatively good at the game right from the start.

What is your game that has always been difficult for you but seems easy for everyone else?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: Hizzout]
#248104 - 03/06/11 07:39 AM

> I mentioned on an earlier thread that in my gaming life I have never, NEVER been good
> at Pac Man and its variant maze clones. Everyone else I know is relatively good at
> the game right from the start.
>
> What is your game that has always been difficult for you but seems easy for everyone
> else?

I am *awful* at Qix and all of its "outline" game clones. Without MAME, it would have cost me $25 to see boobies in Gals Panic.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#248105 - 03/06/11 08:12 AM

> I mentioned on an earlier thread that in my gaming life I have never, NEVER been good
> at Pac Man and its variant maze clones. Everyone else I know is relatively good at
>
> What is your game that has always been difficult for you but seems easy for everyone
> else?

Apparently everyone is a Tetris expert, specially if player is a woman. I think I can't last more than 2 minutes in a play wihtout everything being piled up and full of empty spaces.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#248126 - 03/06/11 03:25 PM

>
> else?

I guess if you're talking arcade, the only game of the genre there is 720 but including home systems the whole Tony Hawk franchise where you have to pull off tricks in a time limit and do funky stuff - I suck at that!
Speaking of funky stuff I'm no good and special moves on fighters wither but usually get away with well timed fly kicks, sweeps and throws old sk00l IK+ stylee!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#248128 - 03/06/11 03:52 PM

> else?

The Dance Dance Revolution type games... When played as they were meant to be... On your feet (playing with fingers... I'm okay, but might be a bit rusty).

Mainly due to my bad knees.

LEVEL-4

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#248129 - 03/06/11 04:06 PM

>
> else?

Pac-Man is also a non-winner here. I get to about the 3rd stage then run out of lives.
Mortal Kombat II - Every man and his dog can get through this, probably with multiple flawless victories and an -ality of some sort on every final round, yet I struggle on the MK games which lack a 'Run' button and jump-in combos, sometimes taking 6 or more continues just to finish the game.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#248134 - 03/06/11 04:55 PM

> else?

Fuck Tyson and the pigeon he rode in on.

//Not bitter at all...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#248182 - 03/07/11 03:52 AM

> > What is your game that has always been difficult for you but seems easy for
> everyone
> > else?
>
> The Dance Dance Revolution type games... When played as they were meant to be... On
> your feet (playing with fingers... I'm okay, but might be a bit rusty).
>
> Mainly due to my bad knees.

Ha, I think I've played DDR exactly once and I was terrible. I pretty much just walked off the platform mid-game because it was so hopeless. Alcohol may have been involved...

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: italie]
#248183 - 03/07/11 04:23 AM

Yeah, I've still only beat Tyson once without having to cheat, and I don't even come close these days.

Believe it or not I've never beaten the Super Mario Bros. that came with the NES either without cheating with save states, and the same goes for The Legend Of Zelda for the NES.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#248184 - 03/07/11 04:24 AM

I've never gotten the hang of MK's blocking so I'm horrible at the game. I'm so used to holding away from your opponent to block. I was never keen on needing to press a button to block

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: Fever]
#248185 - 03/07/11 04:26 AM

Quote:

Speaking of funky stuff I'm no good and special moves on fighters wither but usually get away with well timed fly kicks, sweeps and throws old sk00l IK+ stylee!

Same here. I love Street Fighter but I'm not very good at pulling of special combos.

The only fighting game I could pull off just about every possible move was Tekken 3 with the King character.

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

Re: Your arch rival game new [Re: italie]
#248204 - 03/07/11 12:05 PM

Defender. Fucking hopeless.

Oh,and don't feel bad Hizz - I suck at PacMan too.

Why won't anyone listen to ninjakid - he's being serial!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

eh? SMB? new [Re: Hizzout]
#248210 - 03/07/11 02:48 PM

You do know that there's an unlimited lives glitch that you can do on both the arcade and console without cheating (not exatly...) right?

SMB is actually one of the easier games IMO.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: URherenow]
#248218 - 03/07/11 05:13 PM

> You do know that there's an unlimited lives glitch that you can do on both the arcade
> and console without cheating (not exatly...) right?
>
> SMB is actually one of the easier games IMO.

Thanks for remind me apparently I'm the only person in the world who can't do that stupid glitch for more than 10 lives too.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#248219 - 03/07/11 05:34 PM

> Thanks for remind me apparently I'm the only person in the world who can't do that
> stupid glitch for more than 10 lives too.

Me too. And I can't do the wall jump in SM64. Like, at all.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#248222 - 03/07/11 05:46 PM

I don't think I've even heard of a wall trick in Mario 64. I think SMB (the home port) is easy as hell when you're well practiced. I've never heard of someone not being able to beat it before. The arcade version was a different story. The infinite lives turtle glitch was a pain in the ass. I've gotten it to work a couple of times but that's it. I've been able to get small fire and jump over a flagpole before but those are pretty useless.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#248229 - 03/07/11 07:41 PM

I don't know..

I'm involved with a group that does streaming on Justin.TV and whenever there's a SMB or SMB2J (aka Lost Levels) run there's almost inevitably someone saying how thankful they are to be able to watch the run because they could never finish SMB themselves.

It's something a lot of people are embarrassed to admit, apparently.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: Firehawke]
#248232 - 03/07/11 07:44 PM

The only challenge it became for me (if using warps) is to beat your best time while never dying a man. If you run through it without warps it gets a lot harder but it's still fairly easy to beat.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#248236 - 03/07/11 08:10 PM

Yeah, on a good day I do a warp run of about nine minutes from start to finish. I'm starting to get a bit older, with nerve damage and arthritis to contend with, so it's not always as consistent as I'd like.

Nevertheless, I digress-- SMB1 isn't exactly what I'd call difficult, merely something you have to get used to the physics and level design on for the most part. Worlds 6 and 7 are about the only levels I'd consider 'problematic' for an average player.

SMB2? Different story entirely. I go straight for 127 lives at the very beginning of the game, and I might need half of those since I do NOT warp past the wind levels.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Hizzout
Send PM

#248237 - 03/07/11 08:12 PM

SMB isn't particularly difficult really, I had just never beaten the game legitimately. I hate those maze puzzles in the castles towards the end...never had the patience to figure it out before the time expired.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#248290 - 03/08/11 03:13 AM

> else?

Asteroids

I could always dominate any other game... but could never score past 20,000 on Asteroids, even after hundreds of plays. Probably due to the whole "no joystick" thing. Even today, on a real cabinet, I suck.

In MAME, not so much (cause I can use a joystick for left/right).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

URherenow
Send PM

#248319 - 03/08/11 08:31 AM

Japanese or US SMB2? Don't remember it but I've finished it a few times and never knew about a 127 lives thing at the beginning...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

URherenow
Send PM

#248320 - 03/08/11 08:36 AM

It's required if you want to get to Yoshi on top of the castle without finishing the game first. I've been able to jump off of the wall but don't recall ever actually getting on top of the castle

For you and others that don't know, you need perfect timing on the 3 jump thing (you know the second jump in a row, you jump a little higher, and the third in a row you jump more high and do a flip or something. You need to jump onto the hillside a bit (I think) then your second jump needs to be towards the corner of the wall and the third jump off of the wall towards the castle roof.

Normally you will just finish the game and the cannon will open up on that screen and you just shoot onto the roof... but the ton of extra lives you get are pretty much useless at that point.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248322 - 03/08/11 09:10 AM

> Japanese or US SMB2? Don't remember it but I've finished it a few times and never
> knew about a 127 lives thing at the beginning...

Most probably he's referring to what we know as "The Lost Levels", I don't recall wind levels in Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) but "The Lost Levels" have.

In the game lives are stored into a signed byte, hence in the first Mario it was game over for you if you get more than 127 lives (anything greater than 0x7F is a negative number).

EDIT: Great! I just got out of the minority statistic. I swear if someone would have explained it to me as in this video, I would have done it a long time ago. No fancy "position yourself on the 3rd step" or "do a back jump". This is actually more easier than bomb jumping in Metroid.

R. Belmont, now is your turn.

Edited by BIOS-D (03/08/11 09:46 AM)

KiLLerCloWnAdministrator
Head CloWn
Loc: España
Send PM

#248330 - 03/08/11 03:04 PM

I am absolutely hopeless at Donkey Kong! Always have been, always will be.

If any you guys suck at Pac-Man, that caused you didn't read my guide:

http://www.mameworld.info/net/pacman/

I could never get past the first two mazes until I sat down and studied the bastid. Follow my patterns, and you'll be Pac-Man God even if you gots no skillz.

KC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#248332 - 03/08/11 03:31 PM

I remember it now. I did get to Yoshi once. I had just forgotten about it because it has been 12 years or so.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#248360 - 03/08/11 10:09 PM

Here, check this out.

http://www.justin.tv/sanctuarycrew/b/258355094

It's botched the first time but the player got it on the second. That should explain it pretty well, I think.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: eh? SMB? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#248361 - 03/08/11 10:13 PM

> > Thanks for remind me apparently I'm the only person in the world who can't do that
> > stupid glitch for more than 10 lives too.
>
> Me too. And I can't do the wall jump in SM64. Like, at all.

I found that level easy; the stage where you have to race and magically attach the snowman's head after crashing into it *at an exact location* on the map makes me want to drop the '64, game, TV and all out of a 50 storey building...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#248367 - 03/09/11 12:38 AM

> I've never gotten the hang of MK's blocking so I'm horrible at the game. I'm so used
> to holding away from your opponent to block. I was never keen on needing to press a
> button to block

If the block button had to exist, why couldn't they put it up the top like the Tag button on Tekken Tag Tournament? Why did it have to be in the middle of an X with the move buttons spread so far apart?

MK II still sucks, you get jump kicked (or sweeped) and thrown as a combo every time, yet if you try to jump kick, you either get kicked out of it or a fireball will hit you when you come back down (also Raiden's dive); you can't throw them either. This is against Baraka on the first stage on a difficulty setting of Very Easy, mk2r21 set.

At least with Tekken you don't lose on the first stage and walk away 2 minutes later minus 1 credit.

Well, maybe not Tekken 1, which has weird AI and poor combo protection:

Jack's 3 and 5 hit uppercut combos are completely unblockable if the first hit connects unguarded
Michelle's triple punches, as above
Law's triple knuckle combo, as above
Law's 5 face punches (counter hit only) - can also link to knuckle combo after any punch; first two also cannot be blocked on a normal hit, so a 2 punch + 3 hit knuckle combo works
Yoshimitsu's triple kicks which bounce you in the air on a counter hit
Kazuya/Heihachi's axe kicks (stolen from Ryu's Lexus-smashing heavy kick) which take nearly 50% health on a counter hit.
And of course Paul. Sweep-elbow, sweep-elbow, sweep-elbow, double jump kick or flip kick/grab "combo", sweep-elbow, hammer/power punch combo, sweep-elbow, continue ad infinitum if you are the computer.

That only leaves King and Nina.... wait a minute, they also have one broken move each:
King has an Exploder (drop kick) and face kick combo of which the last kick cannot be blocked if the drop kick was.
Nina has a forward flip kick and face kick combo of which the last kick cannot be blocked in exactly the same way as with King

The boss characters are all clones of the default characters, give or take two or three moves each (except Paul who doesn't have a clone). Kuma also rivals Dhalsim on arm length.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#248380 - 03/09/11 03:35 AM

> else?

I've never been good at the Mortal Kombat games (even though MK1 & MK2 were very popular when I was a teenager) but I'll go with Legend of Zelda. I really liked Zelda 1 & 3, but I was never good at them.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2758