View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Wow.. no posts about Japan?
#248582 - 03/11/11 12:13 PM

The earthquake was pretty big and looong (or so it seemed) even where I'm at. No problemsin my place but a couple of stupid people in the barracks who had huge TV's (1 was 60") on bookshelves came home from work to a broken TV.

But anyway... the tsunami situation is pretty bad. Not here, but I'm sure I'm gonna feel it in the form of produce prices skyrocketing!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Gauntlet
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/07
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: URherenow]
#248584 - 03/11/11 12:52 PM

> The earthquake was pretty big and looong (or so it seemed) even where I'm at. No
> problemsin my place but a couple of stupid people in the barracks who had huge TV's
> (1 was 60") on bookshelves came home from work to a broken TV.
>
> But anyway... the tsunami situation is pretty bad. Not here, but I'm sure I'm gonna
> feel it in the form of produce prices skyrocketing!

Just starting to see the footage of the aftermath on TV over here in Oz at the moment. It's only on the ABC, and SBS. The main commercial stations aren't showing any footage, as it's probably too far to get their morning show hosts into the fray to act concerned, and cry fake tears. Some of the footage is quite terrifying. My familys' wishes are with everybody over there.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#248588 - 03/11/11 01:54 PM

The Nikkei 225 went nuts. Lots of opportunities to earn some cash with market making.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#248590 - 03/11/11 02:28 PM

> The earthquake was pretty big and looong (or so it seemed) even where I'm at. No
> problemsin my place but a couple of stupid people in the barracks who had huge TV's
>
> But anyway... the tsunami situation is pretty bad. Not here, but I'm sure I'm gonna

Holy Shit. I thought you were referring to the 7.0 the other day.

I was just reading something the other night about a guy who predicted th last major quake in New Zealand getting all twitchy about something "massive". I'm going to put that guy on speed dial...

//stay safe.

*edit*

Found him...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breakin...x-1226015375215

Can't wait to see all the crazies that are going to blame this on the moons proximity today....or maybe they aren't so crazy....

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: Gauntlet]
#248591 - 03/11/11 02:40 PM

> > The earthquake was pretty big and looong (or so it seemed) even where I'm at. No
> > problemsin my place but a couple of stupid people in the barracks who had huge TV's
> > (1 was 60") on bookshelves came home from work to a broken TV.
> >
> > But anyway... the tsunami situation is pretty bad. Not here, but I'm sure I'm gonna
> > feel it in the form of produce prices skyrocketing!
>
> Just starting to see the footage of the aftermath on TV over here in Oz at the
> moment. It's only on the ABC, and SBS. The main commercial stations aren't showing
> any footage, as it's probably too far to get their morning show hosts into the fray
> to act concerned, and cry fake tears. Some of the footage is quite terrifying. My
> familys' wishes are with everybody over there.

Plenty of coverage on Channel 7, 10, 9, etc tonight.

Good luck over there to all MAMErs in Japan and families. Stay safe.

Moose

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#248594 - 03/11/11 03:57 PM

> Wow.. no posts about Japan

I didn't listen to the news on the way in today. If you need anything let us know.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#248595 - 03/11/11 03:59 PM Attachment: japan.png 76 KB (0 downloads)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/index.html

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248599 - 03/11/11 04:30 PM

>

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: URherenow]
#248604 - 03/11/11 06:56 PM

Edited by Hizzout (03/11/11 06:59 PM)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#248607 - 03/11/11 07:24 PM

> The Nikkei 225 went nuts. Lots of opportunities to earn some cash with market making.

Really? *That's* the first thing you think of?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: Hizzout]
#248608 - 03/11/11 07:37 PM

Oh God, you can see cars in the second video driving along roads while the wall of water and debris comes at them. I can't even imagine what it must be like, seeing that coming at you.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: DMala]
#248617 - 03/11/11 08:53 PM

> Oh God, you can see cars in the second video driving along roads while the wall of
> water and debris comes at them. I can't even imagine what it must be like, seeing
> that coming at you.

I hope the driver was wearing Depends.

Kevin Eshbach

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: keshbach1]
#248618 - 03/11/11 09:14 PM

Over 1000 people may have perished...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WiC5MotdM

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: twisty]
#248619 - 03/11/11 09:18 PM

Biblical...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Keeps getting worse new [Re: twisty]
#248633 - 03/12/11 01:31 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-sci-japan-quake-nuclear-20110312,0,2627198.story

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248634 - 03/12/11 01:49 AM

> Biblical...

Roland Emmerich is hard as a rock right now...

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Keeps getting worse new [Re: Smitdogg]
#248635 - 03/12/11 01:55 AM

> http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-sci-japan-quake-nuclear-20110312,0,2627198.story

It's older, but those things are built like brick shithouses. Even if they can't fix the cooling issue or scram it the containment walls should hold.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Tsunami Slams Northeast Japan new [Re: italie]
#248637 - 03/12/11 02:12 AM

> > Biblical...

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#248639 - 03/12/11 02:47 AM

Didn't hear about it until I got to work. (Not a morning person, barely make it to the car fully clothed some days.) The first thing I said when told was, "You are fucking with me."

If anyone in the US knows of a better charity than the Red Cross to donate to the relief efforts through give us a link, 'eh?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: DMala]
#248640 - 03/12/11 03:11 AM

> Really? *That's* the first thing you think of?

Well consider that I was at work when it happened, and I work at a market-making house. You aren't watching a TV - you're watching a trading screen. The first thing you notice isn't, "Oh shit, earthquake in Japan!" but "Nikkei 225 has gone nuts!" and adjust what you're doing accordingly. My ability to house and feed my family depends on making money at work.

When I saw the news videos later I was saddened. One thing that stood out to me was just the state of panic the people were in. There was a piece of video showing people trying to escape the tsunami in their cars. But they were just driving randomly. Some of them were driving towards the approaching wave. Then when they realised, they were trying to turn around in an orderly fashion, rather than just driving off the road. When panic sets in, your brain just stops thinking logically.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#248645 - 03/12/11 03:58 AM

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: aavada]
#248649 - 03/12/11 06:29 AM

> Didn't hear about it until I got to work. (Not a morning person, barely make it to
> the car fully clothed some days.) The first thing I said when told was, "You are
> fucking with me."
>
> If anyone in the US knows of a better charity than the Red Cross to donate to the
> relief efforts through give us a link, 'eh?

I've been lead to believe that the Dumping Union is undergoing an effort to relief Japan of some rare arcade boards.

On a serious note, here are some:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/2...ami-how-to-help

You can check them out on the BBB website
http://swmo.bbb.org/article/donor-alert-...e-victims-25969

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Earthquake, Tsunami, and now Meltdown. <nt> Disaster Hat Trick. new [Re: URherenow]
#248664 - 03/12/11 10:06 AM

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

Re: Earthquake, Tsunami, and now Meltdown. <nt> Disaster Hat Trick. new [Re: italie]
#248666 - 03/12/11 12:10 PM

Japan has nuclear reactors on a known fault line. So does the USA. In fact multiple reactors on fault lines.

Quote:

Numerous other American reactors sit on or near earthquake faults.

Does this strike anyone as a particularly "doh!" moment ? Or suicidal or insane in any way ?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: grobda]
#248684 - 03/12/11 07:21 PM

> Japan has nuclear reactors on a known fault line. So does the USA. In fact multiple
> reactors on fault lines.
>
> Numerous other American reactors sit on or near earthquake faults.
>
>
> Does this strike anyone as a particularly "doh!" moment ? Or suicidal or insane in
> any way ?

30 seconds in. First collapse I've ever seen to create a shockwave.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1

Sorry boys, time to suck up the pride and call a spade a spade. Take pride in the fact that had this happened in any other country, there wouldn't be a reactor standing. It's gone, get the hell outta there.

grobda
Send PM

Re: Wow.. no posts about Japan? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#248697 - 03/12/11 08:42 PM

A volcano as well ?! Now all we need is aliens to invade and Godzilla to come out of the ocean (awoken by the radiation from the reactors, u know).

> There was a piece of video showing people
> trying to escape the tsunami in their cars. But they were just driving randomly. Some
> of them were driving towards the approaching wave. Then when they realised, they were
> trying to turn around in an orderly fashion, rather than just driving off the road.
> When panic sets in, your brain just stops thinking logically.

Reminds of Dante's Peak where the Brosnan character drives across that river (using his engine breathing tube) and those folks follow him (with cars not fitted with engine breathing tube). Plus the bit where he goes apeshit and just drives straight into that mine in order to escape the pyroclastic cloud. Fiction of course but who can tell how anyone is really going to behave in this kind of thing ?

When the Iceland volcano went off I was convinced we were all going to be poisoned by fumes from the volcano and that the government were covering it up. Looked a bit deeper and found out that is was very unlikely. Still, having had some of my training in this esteemed bin I've decided that being loony / crazy / mad boosts my survival chances by a large percentage.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: italie]
#248705 - 03/12/11 09:43 PM

> > Japan has nuclear reactors on a known fault line. So does the USA. In fact multiple
> > reactors on fault lines.
> >
> > Numerous other American reactors sit on or near earthquake faults.
> >
> >
> > Does this strike anyone as a particularly "doh!" moment ? Or suicidal or insane in
> > any way ?
>
> 30 seconds in. First collapse I've ever seen to create a shockwave.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1
>
> Sorry boys, time to suck up the pride and call a spade a spade. Take pride in the
> fact that had this happened in any other country, there wouldn't be a reactor
> standing. It's gone, get the hell outta there.

Whoa there, Hoss:

"Officials say the explosion was caused by hydrogen interacting with oxygen outside the reactor. The hydrogen was formed when the superheated fuel rods came in contact with water being poured over the reactor to cool it and prevent a meltdown."

http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/03/12/officials-monitor-radiation-after-blast-reactor/

grobda
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: jeremymtc]
#248709 - 03/12/11 10:18 PM

I feel so much safer now.

I have a theory. The people who failed to blow us away in the Cold War with nukes. They lobbied to have all nuclear reactors placed on active fault zones. Problem solved.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: jeremymtc]
#248715 - 03/13/11 12:41 AM

>
> Whoa there, Hoss:
>
> "Officials say the explosion was caused by hydrogen interacting with oxygen outside
> the reactor. The hydrogen was formed when the superheated fuel rods came in contact
> with water being poured over the reactor to cool it and prevent a meltdown."
>
> http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/03/12/officials-monitor-radiation-after-blast-reactor/

They had been calling it a collapse most of the night, changed their tune a few hours later. You've got to wonder about containment now, after setting off a poor mans H-bomb just outside your reactor core.

I get it, coolant system isn't functioning properly. Gotta vent steam. Just curious why they aren't able to (or have decided to) scram it. Now they have a bigger issue.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#248728 - 03/13/11 05:10 AM

> I get it, coolant system isn't functioning properly. Gotta vent steam. Just curious
> why they aren't able to (or have decided to) scram it. Now they have a bigger issue.

Trouble is, it's a first-gen BWR - it was designed before the term SCRAM was coined. They've fully inserted all control rods (as you would in a SCRAM). This happened automatically when the vibration sensors were tripped. It can't generate any electrical power in this state, but the core still generates considerable heat. It needs external power to continue cooling the core. There are on-site diesel generators to supply this, but the earthquake damaged them. I think the USAF lent them some choppers to airlift in generators from elsewhere. Other aspects of the first-gen BWR design are also becoming problematic: low primary coolant capacity, hydrogen-generating reactions with control rods, and lack of secondary containment. Kind of sucks to be early adopters with this stuff.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#248733 - 03/13/11 07:04 AM

I was shocked when I heard that they had problems with their backup generators.

I worked in a US nuke plant back in the early nineties. The plant was built in the sixties. It had 6 diesel locomotive engines for backup power. They did maintenance on three engines at a time so that there were always at least 3 available for emergencies. Each engine was in a separate building with reinforced concrete walls that were 5 feet thick. All normal access had to be from inside the building. It only had limited access from the outside through a 4x4-foot opening that was normally sealed with huge steel hatches bolted on both sides of the opening. There was no way in hell the engines could get flooded because the rooms were considered part of RCA (Radiologically Controlled Area) and the room was water and air tight to the outside. I'm not exactly sure where air came in and exhaust went out, but I'm sure it was probably on the roof somewhere and would be well above tsunami levels even though the plant was in a location that would never experience a tsunami.

When they designed the buildings that housed the generators in for that nuke plant, did they consider a potential tsunami? Also, that site has 6 reactors, they should have had generator redundancy out the wazoo. The only way I can fathom that all the generators got flooded is if there was come major negligence on the part of the people who planned and built the place.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: krick]
#248739 - 03/13/11 11:07 AM

> When they designed the buildings that housed the generators in for that nuke plant,
> did they consider a potential tsunami?

I'm sure they would have. There are massive rock walls and a harbour built in front of each of the plants. I don't think the Tsunami hit the nuke plants ? I haven't seen any film of this, and the grounds and roads around the plants (that I have seen on TV / YouTube / etc) look spotlessly clean - unlike the nearby towns.

As I understand things (and I could easily be wrong), the quake itself caused the shutdown / issues at the plant.

The current assessment is that this isn't yet as serious as Three Mile Island - but that can easily change. If the fuel isn't cooled, it will melt through the casing.

Even more frightening: One of the reactors also uses a uranium / plutonium fuel - and plutonium is one of the most frightening, toxic, and dangerous of substances.

>Also, that site has 6 reactors, they should
> have had generator redundancy out the wazoo.

I agree. I cannot understand how this situation occured.

Even if all the first line pumps and generators were knocked out, there should have been levels of redundancy. Beyond all that, what about sticking some resovouirs of water ontop of nearby hills - just in case all of the pumps fail, all levels of the redundant pumps / generators fail, and the power grid is knocked out.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: This is what they are calling a "Collapsed Roof" new [Re: Moose]
#248749 - 03/13/11 02:49 PM

I've had nightmares containing images like this, and these people are living it.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#248750 - 03/13/11 04:19 PM

> I've had nightmares containing images like this, and these people are living it.

With everyone comparing this to the 3 Mile Island incident I thought I'd read up on it on good ol' wiki Makes interesting, if chilling reading!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3017