Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Ok, I'm asking for all you loonies for life advice
#255626 - 05/26/11 05:49 AM

What the hell is wrong with me?

I work in computer support...fixing PCs, servers, reinstalling software/hardware...basically a tier 2, PC/server support type position.

I've been in some line of computer support since I was about 18 (I'm almost mid 30's now) and I'm damn sick of it. I was the guy supporting your internet problems when you had a 28.8k modem...it's been that long. I remember when ISDN hit the market and it was amazing speed at the time.

I'm wanting to go back to school, but not sure what for. I'm good with computers, and was always good at graphic design (which would be a great job, but the pay sucks...at least at the entry level position). All I know is I want to get out of computer support....at least at the menial level I'm at now.

I don't know if I'm ADD or ADHD or what but I have a hard time focusing or concentrating on any one thing anymore...I wasn't always like this...I used to be very outgoing and friendly, but these days I'm just angry...bitter and extremely depressed. I hate the person I am lately, and I place 99% of it on my current work situation. The happiest I am every day is when I get home and I get to see my family.

I'm the sole tech in a building that houses 600+ employees...plus I've got to take tickets for employees nation wide. Needless to say from 9-5 I'm hopping busy (understatement), and it's never ending. (I'm fully aware that in today's world I should be grateful I've got a job that pays the bills...but at what price? My sanity "bank account" is just about tapped, and I'm finding it harder and harder to be motivated in my professional, and personal life)

*EDIT* I feel I should mention this...I work with a "team" that consists of about 8 other techs. I've consistently closed tickets amounting to almost double what each tech does in a daily basis (even wyhen working from HOME)....lately my manager initiated a "quota" per week of tickets that need to be closed. He also initiated an "award" type system for the top performer each month. Now my co-workers, who had in the past been slacking, are now finally doing the same amount of work I've been doing for years, dare I say, even surpassing me now. Why the FUCK they weren't working that hard in the past 5-6 years doesn't make much sense to me, but now that they'll get some kind of reward at the end of the month, they're finally pulling their weight....while now I'm being accused of slacking while for years past my stats have been higher than the rest of my team-mates.

I've got an interview next week with a company that looks good....I interviewed with them before about 6 months ago and they went with someone else (I think because once they heard what I'm currently getting paid, they went with a cheaper option), but as of a couple weeks ago they contacted me again for another position. I really want to work for this company as they seem really laid back and a great work atmosphere. It would be doing the same thing basically but I feel I'd be much happier there in the short term, but still want to get the hell out of the type of work I'm in.

What kind of jobs out there would suit someone who has loads of PC/server support type experience, but doesn't exactly want to be in that field anymore? What kind of skills should I focus on if I go back to school? What kinds of jobs are in high demand, and pays decently, even at the entry level?

I guess I should mention that I'm not interested in any type of computer programing or computer science field.....programming languages make my head spin and I just cannot grasp it other than basic HTML that is severely outdated in today's world.

I'm seriously at a crux in my life, at least career wise. I need to progress....I'm not religious but if this next interview doesn't pan out, I'm seriously going to go "full-lent" on video games, booze, internet, TV, etc, until I get a better job. Meaning I will give up all recreational, electronic type activities to hit the books and hit the pavement looking for a better career until I land a better job.

Not that I ever would, but I'm starting to understand how people can go "postal"

I'm rambling I guess but I'm really near my ropes end. I need to find some direction to go but don't know if I should go right or left.

Give me some inspiration, advice, a kick in the ass or even chastising...I accept it all.

Something needs to change in me but I can't get it moving for whatever reason.

Booze and the bin don't mix.....I'm treating the Bin like a therapist.

There's a reason why my avatar is what it is.....this is what I mentally do to myself on a daily basis.

Edited by Hizzout (05/26/11 06:36 AM)

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Have you been watching Office Space too much? new [Re: Hizzout]
#255628 - 05/26/11 06:15 AM

Quote:

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's the worst day of my life.

Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah.

Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

Hizzout
Send PM

I still remember the 1st time I watched Office Space new [Re: PokeMAME]
#255629 - 05/26/11 06:26 AM

I thought the move was too scary/accurate than funny.

It's still hilarious, but the part of the movie where he comes to work, walks right around his supervisor, and tears down his cubical wall and starts playing Tetris is inspiring.

The part where Peter mentions that he's got several "supervisors" bitching at him for the same damn thing (a.k.a. "TPS Reports") is too apropos these days.

When a ticket isn't handled in an appropriate manner, I not only hear about it from the employee, but their manager, their administrative assistant, my manager, and my manager's MANAGER. This is why I can understand why people go postal.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Ok, I'm asking for all you loonies for life advice new [Re: Hizzout]
#255637 - 05/26/11 07:52 AM

I went through a similar crisis recently. I graduated from college with a Music degree (my focus was music technology, technically) and took a job doing QA at a company that makes music software.

After ten years there, I found myself without any room for advancement and getting tired of the QA grind. I discovered, however, that I had sort of painted myself into a corner. My experience was all QA, but most QA jobs want some kind of CS background which I didn't have. But I couldn't really go back to what I studied and work in a recording studio, because I'd missed out on ten years of paying dues. I'd be starting over in my mid-30s, working for free as an intern/slave, competing with people ten years younger, and trying to keep my mortgage paid at the same time. I was uniquely suited for the job I was doing and not much else.

I can tell you for sure the ADHD thing is just boredom. I used to do the same thing. A lot of the tests we ran were pretty mindless, and after a while I found myself running them entirely on autopilot, almost literally surfing the web with one hand while testing with the other.

Really, the first thing you need to do is figure out what it is you really want to do. If you're anything like me, this will be tough, because the stuff you love to do is not anything you could possibly make money from. I wouldn't necessarily recommend taking another job doing the same thing, unless your current position is completely untenable. After the novelty of a new place wears off, you're likely to end up right back in the same place you are right now. All you can do is look around at what's out there, and try on as many hats as you can. When you find one that fits, you'll know it.

In my case, I basically got by with a combination of good friends and dumb luck. I've always dabbled in programming, although I foolishly chose not to pursue it in college. At work, I started writing little scripts in Javascript to automate some of the most mindless tests and alleviate some of the boredom. That led to me writing a few simple C++ apps for testing, and helping the build engineer with installer scripts. I'm friends with some of the senior developers, and when they found out I was unhappy and looking to leave, they worked out a way for me to step into a junior software engineer position. It's occasionally terrifying (if my little scripts and apps are the equivalent of changing the oil in your car, the app I work on now is the space shuttle), but my boredom has utterly evaporated, and I've learned more in the last 6 months than I have in the previous 10 years. I've even surprised myself and have been able to make a measurable contribution almost right out of the gate.

Best of luck to you, I definitely know what you're feeling right now.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#255642 - 05/26/11 10:13 AM

This may sound loony, but that's why you're in the bin, right? If you hate your job, you have three options:

1. Suck it up. This sucks, because you'll be depressed every day, and if you have a family, you'll come home feeling depressed and consequently make their lives suck, too. However, it may be the only workable option depending on your circumstances.
  2. Demand better treatment. Whether this is workable or will deliver results depends greatly on your circumstances.
  3. Quit and find a better job. It's actually not as difficult as it might seem.

When I was young and naive, I took option 1 for far too long. I kept trying to convince myself that things would get better, and the company's fortunes would pick up, and I just needed to prove myself by putting in hard work. But it didn't. My wife knew I was depressed, and it weighed her down, too. On top of that I was getting fat.

Eventually I quit. I had a car loan, rent to pay, a wife to feed, and no job lined up to drop in to. But I had about six months' worth of pay (at my admittedly poor pay rate) in the bank. I only applied for jobs that looked interesting, and I was upfront about my demands in interviews. I was unemployed for about three months. I worried a bit, but I got to spend more time with my wife, and lose some weight, and had plenty of time to think.

I did get a better job that paid almost twice as much. I last a couple of years before I felt like I was getting screwed around more than I thought I should have to deal with, and started looking for other opportunities. This time I didn't quit first, but things weren't as bad as they'd been the previous time. I did find opportunities, and I took one.

I'm still in that position, and I'm treated with a good deal of respect. The company realises I'm very good at my job, and they can't replace me overnight. They also realise that when I got sick of getting tooled around in my two previous jobs I really did take option 3 (quit and find something better). This puts me in a good position if I need to pull option 2 - if I talk about leaving, they know it's not a hollow threat. If I'm not happy, I will have the head of department, head of HR, regional general manager and a board member coming to see how they can make things better for me.

So in summary, I guess I'm telling you to go out on a limb. If you're not being treated properly, quit and find something better. Do this until you're in a position where you can play the cards to your advantage. Remember the company doesn't own you - without employees they cease to be anything at all.

Hizzout
Send PM

Thanks, (Matty_ too) new [Re: DMala]
#255649 - 05/26/11 03:33 PM

Quote:

Really, the first thing you need to do is figure out what it is you really want to do. If you're anything like me, this will be tough, because the stuff you love to do is not anything you could possibly make money from.

Boy ain't that the truth. I originally got into computer support because I loved working on and fixing computers....these days I can barely stand to sit at my own at home.

I've been looking through some college brochures to see what kind of courses are offered to give me some kind of inspiration but it's either not interesting to me, or too daunting to tackle.

Quote:

All you can do is look around at what's out there, and try on as many hats as you can. When you find one that fits, you'll know it.

I should have done that years ago, before I started a family...it would have been much easier but now with 2 kids, and a bigger mortgage I'm treading water at my current job so I can pay the bills.

It's really all up to me I know. I just don't know why I can't get motivated, which makes me angry with myself, which leads to depression and then the cycle starts over. All I know is something needs to change, and soon.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Depends what you're in the mood for... new [Re: Hizzout]
#255651 - 05/26/11 03:55 PM

If deep down, you still like working with computers, but you're tired of what you're doing now. And perhaps you could actually use more stress (just a different kind of stress... or at least from a diferent source) then the real money today is in IA. Seriously. It can be very stressful, depending on your company's requirements (such as the DoD) but when it comes to dealing with people at the company... you pretty much tell them how it is, rather than bending to thier whim.

It's a whole different ballgame.

And pays very good too if you have really any kind of 4 year degree and a few current certifications (A+, Network+ and Security+ to start... forgot the name of the really big one nowdays that requires proof of working in the IA field for at least 5 years before you can challenge any of the tests)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Depends what you're in the mood for... new [Re: URherenow]
#255657 - 05/26/11 05:08 PM

IA = Infrastructure Architecture?

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

#255661 - 05/26/11 06:05 PM

First off there's nothing wrong with you. Loads of people go through exactly the same crap every day but not all of them recognise the fact and are prepared to do something about it so good for you.

From the sound of it you are probably just really pissed off with your current employer and what you do on a day to day basis, not necessarily totally pissed off with the line of work you are in.

Personally I'd think long and hard before I quit without first having a job to walk into. I have friends who have found it really hard to find work after their companies went under recently.

I jacked my job as an Instrument tech many years ago (aged 25 before I was married) and went to university for 3 years, got a degree in Architecture, worked for 2 years for a couple of different architectural practices before realising actually I still wanted to work in Electrical Engineering. I've been back for the last 8 years in a different job and I love it. So my advice is make sure its not just the employer rather than the field of work that's getting you down.

You might want to think about combining your interest in graphic design with your IT skills. I have a good friend who worked as game coder on the Amiga, Genesis, PC's etc. back in the day and he got so fed up he jacked his job and worked in a factory for a year or so whilst he built up some business as a freelance website designer. He now supports his wife and kids from web design alone.

I'm sure one day you will look back and think "why did I put up with that crap" but for now good luck and keep your chin up.

There is no sin except stupidity.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Depends what you're in the mood for... new [Re: Hizzout]
#255664 - 05/26/11 06:32 PM

> IA = Infrastructure Architecture?

Industrial Automation
SCADA, process control, et.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#255665 - 05/26/11 06:42 PM

> IA = Infrastructure Architecture?

Information assurance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_assurance

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Be THAT guy new [Re: Hizzout]
#255666 - 05/26/11 06:44 PM

My sage advice, in order of precidence...

1. Hang in there with the current job manning the controls until you have a parachute. Never bail out of a plane without one. Even buckled into a plane going down has a superior survival advantage to a freefall, so treat each day of work as if you're committed 100% to keeping that plane in the sky until you make the leap.

2. Like the new job prospect, inspect your parachute thouroughly before you take it along. Nothing's worse than bailing out, only to discover your parachute is a piece of shit, and you plumet like a hot rock (hot rocks do indeed fall faster than cold ones).

3. Be wary of non-compete clauses, or exclusivity contracts (if applicable). It remains my opinion that so long as you punch someone else's time-clock, you are limited in your potential success, in that you can only become successful if someone superior to you allows you the opportunity to succeed, and usually that happens only if they can ride your pony to their benefit as well. Aside from the stable (pun) day job, your mind should forever be spinning out ideas of how to become your own man, and own the clock everyone else has to punch. Only then will you achieve your true value, and, IMHO, this should always be your long-term plan. What are you starting up, no matter how small, that you and you alone own and control? Even if not wildly successful in the beginning, it teaches you how to be THAT guy. A street-vender selling apples now owns his own supermarket, because he's THAT guy.

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#255672 - 05/26/11 09:53 PM

Work/Life balance is everything. Don't know what your financial situation is but what you earn is never really any measure of success or happiness, so long as you're turning over enough to have a reasonable quality of life, its enough.
Personally I would look at things I enjoy doing, or things that would give me a sense of achievement and try to focus future employment or training toward it on those goals, afterall we get a single, finite opportunity to make what we will out of life. Making a significant career move is always daunting, but if you don't do it, you have to ask yourself, whats going to change?. If your life isn't fulfilling then its up to you to do something about that.

For example, a Friend of mine does computer techy stuff for some asian firm. He's always pathetically busy, and spends weeks at a time in Dubai, Oz and various other places. He has a great house, a great car, plenty of money yet he gets to see, use and enjoy none of it.
He has a young family, and is recently married and yet he's constantly stressed and tired, he hates this job, as dynamic the job sounds he's constantly at work, on a plane or in a hotel. He's missing out on all the good aspects of life and at some point he's going to sit and look at all the 'things' this toil has accrued and wonder where his life went and why his now adult kids aren't calling and realise its too late to take a new direction, its finished, he waited too long and all he's leaving behind is a great inheritance.

I'm currently re-training to go into teaching. It will mean a small pay cut and more work and hours, but its something I've always wanted to do, so I squared it with the wife and enrolled on the access course.

If you're happy doing what you do but just want to do it in a different environment, look at the options and what's out there and go for it. Beyond your needs and responsibilities though, don't let finance dictate the decision or you could just end up in something equally hateful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Depends what you're in the mood for... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#255678 - 05/27/11 12:25 AM

> > IA = Infrastructure Architecture?
>
> Industrial Automation
> SCADA, process control, et.

Funny, I'm knee deep in IA at the moment....and I feel just like Hizz. The pay is great, but it really can be a dead end if you stick with one company. You'll be doing the same shite for the rest of your time there. If the crew you work with is decent I guess it isn't all bad.

I'm getting the freelance itch again, really bad as of late. It's hard to put pants on and go to work when you used to work pants-less in the comfort of your own home....

All I can say Hizz is that the two best jobs I ever had paid shite. I was happy, looked forward to work, and was never more relaxed in life. My current job pays well, but the motivation isn't there, and I'm constantly stressed and bored with the job pace (too slow, suprisingly). It's a hard balance between supporting the family and being happy, and I'm sure if I ever find the balance you'll know before I tell you....Wish I could offer sage advice, but I'm looking for that happy medium, just like you.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Depends what you're in the mood for... new [Re: italie]
#255681 - 05/27/11 01:17 AM

I'm not looking to strike it rich or anything....growing up my family's mantra was that life's riches are in the family, meaning money doesn't mean anything if your family isn't there.

I don't ever want to work a job that requires extensive travel, or time away from my family. I just want enough to pay the bills each month with a little left over for whatever. Money really isn't the first thing on my mind regarding this job situation, my overall sanity is.

My dad always told me not to "bring work home with me" meaning whatever bothers you at work, leave it at work. I'm depressed in my professional life, but my family life is awesome. I love to come home and see my family. It's really the happiest I am all day.

I'm just hoping that this next interview pans out.....otherwise I'm eliminating all "distractions" until I get my arse in gear and I'm working somewhere else, and that includes the Bin....

Playing games on my cab for an hour or two each night is my escape from reality but I know I should be using that free time for more beneficial things.

Thanks for all the support everyone....I'm just at a low point right now. The pendulum has been on the wrong side for too long and I know it's up to me to push it back so it'll swing the other way.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#255696 - 05/27/11 02:51 AM

I felt very similarly towards the end at my last job. I knew the boat was sinking, things had been slow
for months, but I stayed aboard because I was too depressed/scared to bother to look for anything
else. Making the sinking ship worse, I worked directly under someone who seemed to make a daily
effort to make me feel like crap about my abilities. I was 1 of the 4 developers left by then, so I
couldn't have been terrible. I do acknowledge that the crap situation and crap manager made me into
a crappier employee, so it wasn't a fantastic situation for anyone. Finally, another company was purchasing
our company and deciding who they would keep. The morning before Thanksgiving, I was told I wasn't
one of the ones staying. To say I was relieved would be a huge understatement; it was seriously one of
the happiest days of my life.

It didn't hurt that within 2 hours of being told I was being laid off, I had another interview lined up for the
following Tuesday thanks to a former coworker. It was the same sort of job, but turned out to be a much
better situation and paid better as well. So, I guess the moral of the story is it might not be the work you're
doing that sucks, but the situation you're in. A change of scenery may be all you need.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

#255697 - 05/27/11 02:54 AM

Mid 30's ain't too bad, you still have a lot of time to change your path if you don't like where you're at. If you already have a bachelor's degree, you can get an associates degree in accounting and take the CPA test. It's pretty good money and you're not going to have walk people through restarting their computer. I was going to do this until I got really busy with work. If you do this at a commmunity college, it shouldn't bankrupt you like a normal college would.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Thanks, (Matty_ too) new [Re: Hizzout]
#255701 - 05/27/11 03:22 AM

> I've been looking through some college brochures to see what kind of courses are
> offered to give me some kind of inspiration but it's either not interesting to me, or
> too daunting to tackle.

I wouldn't necessarily write something off because it's too daunting. I practically had to be pushed into my current position, and right up to the day I stared I was telling people to remember that I didn't have a lot of C++ experience. I was half expecting to fall flat on my face, and yet once I started, it all kind of clicked. You'd be surprised what you're capable of when you push yourself outside of your comfort zone a little.

> I should have done that years ago, before I started a family...it would have been
> much easier but now with 2 kids, and a bigger mortgage I'm treading water at my
> current job so I can pay the bills.

I'd say more people feel like that than don't. It sucks the way college and everything works, you pretty much have to try to figure everything out right out of high school. I've often said I'd like to have a conversation with the 17-year-old nitwit who decided the course of my life, and maybe smack him upside the head a few times.

> It's really all up to me I know. I just don't know why I can't get motivated, which
> makes me angry with myself, which leads to depression and then the cycle starts over.

I think the trick is to take the pressure off yourself. Don't approach it as, "I need to find something right *NOW*!" Just look around and see what's out there. Check out whatever catches your fancy, even if it seems ridiculous on the surface. Like I said, when you find the right thing, you'll know it.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Thanks, (Matty_ too) new [Re: Hizzout]
#255704 - 05/27/11 03:42 AM

> I've been looking through some college brochures to see what kind of courses are
> offered to give me some kind of inspiration but it's either not interesting to me, or
> too daunting to tackle.
>

You find information on online degree and certificate programs here:
http://www.geteducated.com/

It may be less daunting to take a course online, where you don't have to be in a classroom at
some set time each day/week. I wouldn't probably avoid non-accredited and for-profit schools.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#255705 - 05/27/11 03:44 AM

I guess what I was trying to say without ever saying it was that sometimes it's hard to move to happier career paths due to financial responsibilities, family, etc.

Most fun I've had in the last few years has been building the garage and my daughters swing set. Really considered a move to carpentry for a bit, the hours are a bit rough though.

Tell ya what. If things don't improve, and you have any inkling to build swing sets or garages, I'll be on the first flight out your way to start up a business.

(I can just hear that conversation with the wife..."Honey, there's this guy on the internet...")

URherenow
Send PM

Information Assurance new [Re: Hizzout]
#255720 - 05/27/11 05:22 AM

Information Assurance. Basically you're the network security crew. You're responsible for keeping everything patched, controlling the switches and proxies, and spying on your company's other employees (sort of)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#255721 - 05/27/11 05:58 AM

As for the job situation...

If you ever get the opportunity, get into "middleware".

Middleware is the software that goes in the middle between two systems and translates/converts data from one format to another so that they can exchange information. It's also referred to as Enterprise Application Integration (EAI).

Middleware positions generally pay quite a bit more than software developer positions. I think it's because middleware is more specialized so there's less competition. By comparison, there's thousands of Java programmers and the pay rates tend to be lower and they work a lot harder.

I currently work as a sub-contractor on a contract for the US Army. I work with two middleware products. One is called SeeBeyond, which was later purchased by Sun and re-christened JCAPS, though we still use the old version. The second is a product from SAP called "PI". It used to be called "XI". Other popular products on the market that we don't use are Oracle Fusion and Microsoft BizTalk.

The majority of the work involves writing "interfaces" that translate from a format called DLMS EDI X12 to SAP IDOC format and back. There's also quite a bit of work with a legacy format called MILS, which is a record based format that evolved from 80-character punch cards. There are other custom formats as well including custom fixed length formats and XML.

In addition to developing middleware interfaces, some of my other responsibilities include analysis, documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and supporting trading partner testing.

My job pays very well, but it can end at any time. There's ZERO job security. I can get a call on Thursday from my sub-contracting company where they tell me that Friday is my last day. So you have to be disciplined and squirrel away a good chunk of your paycheck for when the time comes. The security of my job also depends on Governmental budgets. If the defense budget doesn't get approved, there's always a chance that the program that employs me will be axed.

Recently, because of HIPAA, X12 EDI middleware has exploded. Companies are scrambling to implement solutions to meet the government requirements. So if you try to get your foot in the door somewhere and get HIPAA on your resume, it might open some doors for you later down the line.

My favorite job search engine at the moment is indeed. Do some keyword searches and see what kind of jobs you find. Get yourself a resume and post it on Monster, Careerbuilder, and DICE, to name just a few. Make a small change to each resume once a week and save it. This will bump you back up to the top of the employer search results.

As for life in general...

Try to live your life "lean". Debt is bad. Live frugal. Don't buy new cars, pass on the new iPhone, don't go to the movies unless it's a special occasion, don't eat out a lot, try to resist buying "stuff" that you don't really need. When you are in debt, you're basically stuck in your job unless you can find another (which tends to be hard) and employers can treat you like crap. With no debt and some money in the bank, you have freedom. Freedom is liberating. Even if you don't quit when your boss pisses you off, just knowing that you CAN, makes all the difference.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Ok, I'm asking for all you loonies for life advice new [Re: krick]
#255768 - 05/27/11 04:12 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out that job search site.

Quote:

Try to live your life "lean". Debt is bad.

The only debt I've got is my car payment and mortgage (which should be paid off within 3 years. THANKS GOLD!) Credit cards are paid off. With the way the economy is these days, having large debt is the worst thing possible.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Information Assurance new [Re: URherenow]
#255769 - 05/27/11 04:15 PM

I think that this would be my next logical progression from what I do now...or Sysadmin.

Do you think it's possible to get into that field on certificates alone (and which ones?), or would an associate or bachelor degree be necessary? What kind of skills should I focus on?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Information Assurance new [Re: Hizzout]
#255779 - 05/27/11 04:59 PM

> I think that this would be my next logical progression from what I do now...or
> Sysadmin.
>
> Do you think it's possible to get into that field on certificates alone (and which
> ones?), or would an associate or bachelor degree be necessary? What kind of skills
> should I focus on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Information Assurance new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#255825 - 05/27/11 11:54 PM

> > I think that this would be my next logical progression from what I do now...or
> > Sysadmin.
> >
> > Do you think it's possible to get into that field on certificates alone (and which
> > ones?), or would an associate or bachelor degree be necessary? What kind of skills
> > should I focus on?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

For some reason, I watched the whole thing. Here is the condensed version:
1) College is a waste of both time and money.
2) Getting a college degree will lead to the downfall of Western civilization.
3) Buy silver.
4) Did you watch twisty's video?

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

#255925 - 05/29/11 05:00 AM

> What the hell is wrong with me?
>
> I work in computer support...fixing PCs, servers, reinstalling
> software/hardware...basically a tier 2, PC/server support type position.
>
> I've been in some line of computer support since I was about 18 (I'm almost mid 30's
> now) and I'm damn sick of it. I was the guy supporting your internet problems when
> you had a 28.8k modem...it's been that long. I remember when ISDN hit the market and
> it was amazing speed at the time.
>
> I'm wanting to go back to school, but not sure what for. I'm good with computers, and
> was always good at graphic design (which would be a great job, but the pay sucks...at
> least at the entry level position). All I know is I want to get out of computer
> support....at least at the menial level I'm at now.
>
> I don't know if I'm ADD or ADHD or what but I have a hard time focusing or
> concentrating on any one thing anymore...I wasn't always like this...I used to be
> very outgoing and friendly, but these days I'm just angry...bitter and extremely
> depressed. I hate the person I am lately, and I place 99% of it on my current work
> situation. The happiest I am every day is when I get home and I get to see my family.
>
> I'm the sole tech in a building that houses 600+ employees...plus I've got to take
> tickets for employees nation wide. Needless to say from 9-5 I'm hopping busy
> (understatement), and it's never ending. (I'm fully aware that in today's world I
> should be grateful I've got a job that pays the bills...but at what price? My sanity
> "bank account" is just about tapped, and I'm finding it harder and harder to be
> motivated in my professional, and personal life)
>
> *EDIT* I feel I should mention this...I work with a "team" that consists of about 8
> other techs. I've consistently closed tickets amounting to almost double what each
> tech does in a daily basis (even wyhen working from HOME)....lately my manager
> initiated a "quota" per week of tickets that need to be closed. He also initiated an
> "award" type system for the top performer each month. Now my co-workers, who had in
> the past been slacking, are now finally doing the same amount of work I've been doing
> for years, dare I say, even surpassing me now. Why the FUCK they weren't working that
> hard in the past 5-6 years doesn't make much sense to me, but now that they'll get
> some kind of reward at the end of the month, they're finally pulling their
> weight....while now I'm being accused of slacking while for years past my stats have
> been higher than the rest of my team-mates.
>
> I've got an interview next week with a company that looks good....I interviewed with
> them before about 6 months ago and they went with someone else (I think because once
> they heard what I'm currently getting paid, they went with a cheaper option), but as
> of a couple weeks ago they contacted me again for another position. I really want to
> work for this company as they seem really laid back and a great work atmosphere. It
> would be doing the same thing basically but I feel I'd be much happier there in the
> short term, but still want to get the hell out of the type of work I'm in.
>
> What kind of jobs out there would suit someone who has loads of PC/server support
> type experience, but doesn't exactly want to be in that field anymore? What kind of
> skills should I focus on if I go back to school? What kinds of jobs are in high
> demand, and pays decently, even at the entry level?
>
> I guess I should mention that I'm not interested in any type of computer programing
> or computer science field.....programming languages make my head spin and I just
> cannot grasp it other than basic HTML that is severely outdated in today's world.
>
> I'm seriously at a crux in my life, at least career wise. I need to progress....I'm
> not religious but if this next interview doesn't pan out, I'm seriously going to go
> "full-lent" on video games, booze, internet, TV, etc, until I get a better job.
> Meaning I will give up all recreational, electronic type activities to hit the books
> and hit the pavement looking for a better career until I land a better job.
>
> Not that I ever would, but I'm starting to understand how people can go "postal"
>
> I'm rambling I guess but I'm really near my ropes end. I need to find some direction
> to go but don't know if I should go right or left.
>
> Give me some inspiration, advice, a kick in the ass or even chastising...I accept it
> all.
>
> Something needs to change in me but I can't get it moving for whatever reason.
>
>
> Booze and the bin don't mix.....I'm treating the Bin like a therapist.
>
> There's a reason why my avatar is what it is.....this is what I mentally do to myself
> on a daily basis.

Sounds to me like an early mid life crisis. I went through this a couple of years ago.

You seriously need to just stop, smell the roses and look at what's important. If you've got a roof over your head, a great wife and kids and supportive friends and family, life isn't bad at all.

Keep yourself in check just by doing small things that matter to you personally. Stay positive and remember that a job is just a job - you'll never be completely satisfied and if the dollars are good enough, you're doing better than shitload of others out there.

You're a good person Hizz and I think your own advice about giving up the internet for a while is a great idea too. Seek inspiration from others and laugh often.

Love Sez.

PS: Take a deep breath immediately.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Information Assurance new [Re: Hizzout]
#255975 - 05/29/11 04:39 PM

Network+ folowed by Security+, for starters. In that position, you need those and you need to qualify for a security clearance (especially if you work for the DoD or any major company that deals with the DoD) You see... there is a great deal of trust put into someone who's job it is to know what vulnerabilities you have.

But there are really an assload of certs to be had. You can get some CISCO stuff and Server+ as well. Your best bet is to search google and craig's list for security jobs and see what the requirements are for that particular company. And if you get that kind of job in a Bank... Please remember I turned you on to it

and maybe remember the dumping union as well

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2827