MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars?
#257377 - 06/14/11 08:09 PM

Seriously people, what is the deal. I was brought up to get to an identified crosswalk and look both ways. If the intersection is clear, go. If there are cars present, don't go.

It seems these days the rule of thumb is GO, possibly look, assume any cars in your path will stop before hitting you. If any cars have a hard time stopping for your dumb ass, finger up.

Either society as a whole is going crazy, or I have.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: italie]
#257379 - 06/14/11 08:19 PM

> Seriously people, what is the deal. I was brought up to get to an identified
> crosswalk and look both ways. If the intersection is clear, go. If there are cars
> present, don't go.
>
> It seems these days the rule of thumb is GO, possibly look, assume any cars in your
> path will stop before hitting you. If any cars have a hard time stopping for your
> dumb ass, finger up.
>
>
> Either society as a whole is going crazy, or I have.

Sounds like a normal day in Boston. Jaywalking is not only legal here, it's an artform. It's best left to the professionals, though. I always feel bad when I step off a curb and some tourist follows suit and gets mowed down.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: italie]
#257380 - 06/14/11 08:19 PM

> crosswalk and look both ways. If the intersection is clear, go. If there are cars
> present, don't go.
>
> It seems these days the rule of thumb is GO, possibly look, assume any cars in your
> path will stop before hitting you. If any cars have a hard time stopping for your
> dumb ass, finger up.
>
>

My personal favorite is when I stop for a pedestrian in a parking long (trying to be nice), and they just mmmooooossssseeeeeeyyyyy across the road.....

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#257384 - 06/14/11 08:27 PM

It's regional. I had never seen anything like it when I first moved to Portland, but that is how it is there on every street other than highways. They even have a law about it. I guess maybe enough people from areas where it is done have migrated to Chicago to where it's starting there. It's not a people-being-raised-differently sort of thing but a regional one.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#257393 - 06/14/11 09:04 PM

> present, don't go.
>
> dumb ass, finger up.
>
>

In Mexico that's pretty normal, same with skipping footbridges even when they're 2 meters next to you. Maybe we are part of the blame? I only wonder, is it too tiring to step on some stairs before crossing a road?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#257401 - 06/14/11 10:34 PM

In most parts of Belo Horizonte the sidewalks are in such a shitty state, or so small that people simply walk in the road instead.
Generally the traffic here is like a game, and the rules are play the game or die, or end up killing someone. And improvise as much as you can, all the time. The law does not require full insurance. If you think you're going to be able to switch off and relax while driving slowly home from work during rush hour, think again. The fast lane is the slow lane. The speed traps/cameras are placed behind trees or big signs. I got four speeding tickets already since April 2010.

I live in traffic hell.

S

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#257414 - 06/15/11 12:52 AM

Technically pedestrians have right of way.

But as a wise man once told me 'you can be dead right so shut up and look both ways and use a crosswalk.'

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: lharms]
#257417 - 06/15/11 01:06 AM

> Technically pedestrians have right of way.
>
> But as a wise man once told me 'you can be dead right so shut up and look both ways
> and use a crosswalk.'

My area is full of moveable middle-of-the-road crosswalk signs proclaiming either "STATE LAW: [yield sign] to [pedestrian silhouette] in crosswalk" or the same sign with "... [stop sign] for...."

They haven't said anything about a change in the law, but if they're going to do so exclusively via sign (the actual sign change, from yield to stop, was supposed to be last year, no idea if the law really did change with it), then we have to assume the rest of the sign is also accurate, making any pedestrian not actually in a crosswalk fair game.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: Sune]
#257418 - 06/15/11 01:12 AM

> In most parts of Belo Horizonte the sidewalks are in such a shitty state, or so small
> that people simply walk in the road instead.
> Generally the traffic here is like a game, and the rules are play the game or die, or
> end up killing someone. And improvise as much as you can, all the time. The law does
> not require full insurance. If you think you're going to be able to switch off and
> relax while driving slowly home from work during rush hour, think again. The fast
> lane is the slow lane. The speed traps/cameras are placed behind trees or big signs.
> I got four speeding tickets already since April 2010.
>
> I live in traffic hell.
>
> S

Katamari Damacy!

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

I recently walked in front of a moving car new [Re: italie]
#257424 - 06/15/11 02:22 AM

I was leaving walmart walking through a giant, very well marked crosswalk with stops signs on either side.
The young gentleman driving the vehicle did not stop at the stop sign and did not yield to the pedestrian
in the giant, well marked crosswalk. What he did instead was honk at me. I stopped and looked at him
with the WTF look and pointed to the stop sign he had just driven by. Ah, the carefree joy of being a
clueless idiot. Must be nice.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#257425 - 06/15/11 02:30 AM

> > In most parts of Belo Horizonte the sidewalks are in such a shitty state, or so
> small
> > that people simply walk in the road instead.
> > Generally the traffic here is like a game, and the rules are play the game or die,
> or
> > end up killing someone. And improvise as much as you can, all the time. The law
> does
> > not require full insurance. If you think you're going to be able to switch off and
> > relax while driving slowly home from work during rush hour, think again. The fast
> > lane is the slow lane. The speed traps/cameras are placed behind trees or big
> signs.
> > I got four speeding tickets already since April 2010.
> >
> > I live in traffic hell.
> >
> > S
>
> Katamari Damacy!

Hahaha, I wish!! da-dun du du du du du dun dunn du du du du du duuuunn

S

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: igamabob]
#257428 - 06/15/11 03:14 AM

> My personal favorite is when I stop for a pedestrian in a
> parking long (trying to be nice), and they just
> mmmooooossssseeeeeeyyyyy across the road.....

Yeah, but... You know that saying about how you never know what someone else is going through?

At work we all have to use a marked crosswalk to get to and from parking when the teeny lot for our building gets full. (One handicapped spot, usually taken, before you ask.) Traffic flys down this frikkin' road nonstop. There are no breaks, you've got to piss people off if you ever hope to clock in.

I work with a FINE looking dude, early thirties, looks like he could climb Everest. He also has rheumatoid arthritis and doesn't move fast. Many times I've come upon the crosswalk when he was halfway across to hear people cussing at him like he was carving up a cat in the middle of the road or something. He just keeps walking, what else is there to do?

He blows it off and acts like it doesn't bother him but I would imagine that you can only hear, "MOVE, YOU FUCK!" so many times before it starts to wear on you.

We're all human beings, is ten seconds so much to ask?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

It's a Chicago thing ;-) new [Re: italie]
#257429 - 06/15/11 03:36 AM

> present, don't go.
>
> dumb ass, finger up.
>
>

No seriously, it is. The last times I was up in your area, it was always like that around the downtown area. I was even warned about it before the first time I traveled over there.

Maybe it's just now making it to your side of town.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: aavada]
#257431 - 06/15/11 04:36 AM

I do understand, but I see people coming out of the stores, quite happily walking down the sidewalk with whatever bundles that they have...until they get to the crossing the road part...THAT's my annoyance.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: igamabob]
#257437 - 06/15/11 06:36 AM

That's when you drop it into neutral and practice your "ominous rev" technique.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Dude, you'd be surprised..... new [Re: italie]
#257448 - 06/15/11 10:02 AM

The other night, actually, just after an intersection, some lady did this. She didn't look too bad, let alone homeless. It didn't bother me of course. And I didn't stop for her either.

Having made a right turn right after *that*, into the strip mall she was walking towards, I almost yelled, "Hey, if yer lookin ta ends things, at least let me fuck ya in the ass, first."

But I didn't. Natch!

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

I nearly always let cars have right of way..... new [Re: aavada]
#257449 - 06/15/11 10:09 AM

Even if I have to wait another round of traffic in the median area. Cars use far more resources moving, stopping, moving again, etc than I do walking.

However, if someone ardently declines my 'go ahead, yo' motion, then they can fuckin wait they asses till I'm done an across.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#257465 - 06/15/11 02:22 PM

> present, don't go.
>
> dumb ass, finger up.

Reminds me of an incident a while back. Cruising down a four lane road in the right lane. See a tween girl standing at the edge (my side) of the road, eyes fixed firmly in the other direction. I had a feeling she was about to step into the road, so I switch to the left lane so as to give her a wide berth. Out she comes, walking into my lane as I'm barreling down on her, still looking the other way. Foot planted on brake, hand on horn, I come to a screeching halt literally inches from her kneecaps. I yell, "what's your problem you fucking idiot?" She finally looks at me with a look on her face and continues on her way.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: aavada]
#257467 - 06/15/11 02:26 PM

Too bad I don't drive a '58 Fury.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: I nearly always let cars have right of way..... new [Re: mogli]
#257471 - 06/15/11 03:34 PM

Unless it's raining or snowing. I'm outside getting soaked, you're in your cozy car. You can wait for me to cross.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: Allnatural]
#257550 - 06/16/11 08:15 AM

> Reminds me of an incident a while back. Cruising down a four lane road in the right
> lane. See a tween girl standing at the edge (my side) of the road, eyes fixed firmly
> in the other direction. I had a feeling she was about to step into the road, so I
> switch to the left lane so as to give her a wide berth. Out she comes, walking into
> my lane as I'm barreling down on her, still looking the other way. Foot planted on
> brake, hand on horn, I come to a screeching halt literally inches from her kneecaps.
> I yell, "what's your problem you fucking idiot?" She finally looks at me with a look
> on her face and continues on her way.

If you anticipated it, why didn't you honk to let her know you were coming?

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I nearly always let cars have right of way..... new [Re: Hizzout]
#257551 - 06/16/11 08:23 AM

> Unless it's raining or snowing. I'm outside getting soaked, you're in your cozy car.
> You can wait for me to cross.

Accordingly - that is, right before crosswalks, and generally in private drives, such as store parking lots, etc - I give pedestrians right of way. I wait when driving, and walking, so's I am better than EVERYONE. Hmhmhmhmhm.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: Allnatural]
#257724 - 06/18/11 02:56 AM

> > Seriously people, what is the deal. I was brought up to get to an identified
> > crosswalk and look both ways. If the intersection is clear, go. If there are cars
> > present, don't go.
> >
> > It seems these days the rule of thumb is GO, possibly look, assume any cars in your
> > path will stop before hitting you. If any cars have a hard time stopping for your
> > dumb ass, finger up.
>
> Reminds me of an incident a while back. Cruising down a four lane road in the right
> lane. See a tween girl standing at the edge (my side) of the road, eyes fixed firmly
> in the other direction. I had a feeling she was about to step into the road, so I
> switch to the left lane so as to give her a wide berth. Out she comes, walking into
> my lane as I'm barreling down on her, still looking the other way. Foot planted on
> brake, hand on horn, I come to a screeching halt literally inches from her kneecaps.
> I yell, "what's your problem you fucking idiot?" She finally looks at me with a look
> on her face and continues on her way.

Darwin is rolling in his grave right now.

Kevin Eshbach

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: keshbach1]
#257737 - 06/18/11 05:47 AM

> Darwin is rolling in his grave right now.

He forgot to pull his parking brake.

S

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#257894 - 06/20/11 09:47 AM

> My personal favorite is when I stop for a pedestrian in a parking long (trying to be
> nice), and they just mmmooooossssseeeeeeyyyyy across the road.....

I had this happen twice in the past 2 days, both occurred at the Taco Bell when I was getting something before going into work. You know, when you get your order from the Drive-Thru, then proceed to leave... Sat. night they're coming out from that door that's at the very front of the building. The next night some "good ol' boys" in their pick-up trucks are out in the parking lot.. Well, there was a minivan in front of me, so I have to go around it, but those kids... I guess it was difficult running in cowboy boots (or whatever they were wearing). *lives in a hick-town*

I'm like "Oh no. That's okay, take your time I'm in no hurry."

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#258073 - 06/22/11 05:12 AM

> I had this happen twice in the past 2 days, both occurred at the Taco Bell when I was
> getting something before going into work. You know, when you get your order from the
> Drive-Thru, then proceed to leave...I guess it was difficult running
> in cowboy boots (or whatever they were wearing). *lives in a hick-town*
>
> I'm like "Oh no. That's okay, take your time I'm in no hurry."

Dude, you're in a drive-thru, during off hours. Wahn.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: mogli]
#258077 - 06/22/11 06:19 AM

> > I'm like "Oh no. That's okay, take your time I'm in no hurry."
>
> Dude, you're in a drive-thru, during off hours. Wahn.

So you think theys eh wouldy went a scamperin' if it were high noon?

I doubt it.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#258141 - 06/23/11 07:30 AM

> > > I'm like "Oh no. That's okay, take your time I'm in no hurry."
> >
> > Dude, you're in a drive-thru, during off hours. Wahn.
>
> So you think theys eh wouldy went a scamperin' if it were high noon?
>
>
> I doubt it.

I remove myself from the equation - and don't even consume food from such places.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: What is with the recent trend toward walking in front of moving cars? new [Re: mogli]
#258154 - 06/23/11 04:41 PM

> > > > I'm like "Oh no. That's okay, take your time I'm in no hurry."
> > >
> > > Dude, you're in a drive-thru, during off hours. Wahn.
> >
> > So you think theys eh wouldy went a scamperin' if it were high noon?
> >
> >
> > I doubt it.
>
> I remove myself from the equation - and don't even consume food from such places.

Dude, you're in the Loony-Bin, replying to my post. Wahn.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#258179 - 06/24/11 12:56 AM

>
> Dude, you're in the Loony-Bin, replying to my post. Wahn.

It is a certain duty, I admit, to faciliate somethin ta learn ya.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

i lernz, i lernz [nt] new [Re: mogli]
#258181 - 06/24/11 01:37 AM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2596