MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

APB update
#258245 - 06/24/11 11:18 PM Attachment: APB.png 333 KB (9 downloads)

I've been working diligently on this one. I still have a ways to go. I tried to change the perspective of each piece to pull them together. It came out yucky. I'll try a different approach after they are finished.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Antny (06/25/11 03:25 AM)

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: APB update new [Re: Antny]
#258255 - 06/25/11 01:51 AM

Looks much nicer than the way I tried to do the perspective bezel for elim4. How are you planning on setting this up?

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: APB update new [Re: Nightvoice]
#258262 - 06/25/11 03:16 AM

I tried playing with the "X" & "Y" perspective settings. The picture you see is just a redraw of the flat scan provided by Mr Do. I tinkered with the perspective settings, I was getting close but couldn't quite get it right. I'll put some time into it when I'm done tracing it. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has an idea.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#258277 - 06/25/11 05:04 AM

Stretching the horizontal/vertical perspective out of each quadrant would be easy enough (in Corel, it's the Envelope function; then you can set up guide lines to stretch it along; not sure what it is in Adobe), but you still end up with a stretched look in the end. That's why I was wondering if you were going to join them up or just fill the corner space in with matching black. *shrugs*

Edited by Nightvoice (06/25/11 05:34 AM)

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

#258283 - 06/25/11 06:20 AM

There is an "X"&"Y" perspective percentage. I think I could make it work with a "trial and error" type approach. I think the game had lights on top. I'm not sure if they tie into the gameplay but it may be something that should be added.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#258504 - 06/27/11 07:39 PM

> There is an "X"&"Y" perspective percentage. I think I could make it work with a
> "trial and error" type approach. I think the game had lights on top. I'm not sure if
> they tie into the gameplay but it may be something that should be added.

Awesome work.
According to MAWS, the lightbar flashes when the siren button is pressed. So, not essential to gameplay, but it is triggered by the player's actions.

Check out this thread: http://www.coinopspace.com/group/apb/forum/topics/apb-reproduction-artwork

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#258688 - 06/29/11 03:20 PM

> Stretching the horizontal/vertical perspective out of each quadrant would be easy
> enough (in Corel, it's the Envelope function; then you can set up guide lines to
> stretch it along; not sure what it is in Adobe), but you still end up with a
> stretched look in the end. That's why I was wondering if you were going to join them
> up or just fill the corner space in with matching black. *shrugs*

What was done with Pengo and Pac-Mania? You might as Ad_Enuff how he did those. Very similar issues.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Finished new [Re: Antny]
#259487 - 07/10/11 02:55 AM Attachment: APB.png 676 KB (4 downloads)

again 99.9% done a few touch up/checks to remain. I will start to try the old perspective thing and see what I can come up with. Here's a quick stitch up....

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: APB update new [Re: jcroach]
#259495 - 07/10/11 05:01 AM

>What was done with Pengo and Pac-Mania? You might as Ad_Enuff how he did those. Very similar issues.

It looks to me like they are just flat. I could be wrong though.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#259606 - 07/11/11 02:36 PM

> > What was done with Pengo and Pac-Mania? You might as Ad_Enuff how he did those. Very
> similar issues.
>
> It looks to me like they are just flat. I could be wrong though.

Pac-mania, maybe, but no way with Pengo. There's no gap in the icebergs at the lower end. I'll PN Ad-Enuff.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#259614 - 07/11/11 03:15 PM

> > > What was done with Pengo and Pac-Mania? You might as Ad_Enuff how he did those.
> Very
> > similar issues.
> >
> > It looks to me like they are just flat. I could be wrong though.
>
> Pac-mania, maybe, but no way with Pengo. There's no gap in the icebergs at the lower
> end. I'll PN Ad-Enuff.

Personally, I would leave it flat. Pacmania was done this same way. (Plus, if you. Wanted to repro this, you would want the image flat anyway).

Pengo is flat; it just has that bit that folds over into the monitor (check maws cab pic).

What's wrong with the iceberg?

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: APB update new [Re: Mr. Do]
#259617 - 07/11/11 03:41 PM

> > > > What was done with Pengo and Pac-Mania? You might as Ad_Enuff how he did those.
> > Very
> > > similar issues.
> > >
> > > It looks to me like they are just flat. I could be wrong though.
> >
> > Pac-mania, maybe, but no way with Pengo. There's no gap in the icebergs at the
> lower
> > end. I'll PN Ad-Enuff.
>
> Personally, I would leave it flat. Pacmania was done this same way. (Plus, if you.
> Wanted to repro this, you would want the image flat anyway).
>
> Pengo is flat; it just has that bit that folds over into the monitor (check maws cab
> pic).
>
> What's wrong with the iceberg?

EDIT: Nothing is wrong with the iceberg. It looks great. I assumed that the flaps were in the file and then manipulated for a flat, seamless imagine, but they were just not added, right?

Edited by jcroach (07/11/11 03:52 PM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#259618 - 07/11/11 03:55 PM

> > What's wrong with the iceberg?
>
> EDIT: Nothing is wrong with the iceberg. It looks great. I assumed that the flaps
> were in the file and then manipulated for a flat, seamless imagine, but they were
> just not added, right?

Correct.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: APB update new [Re: Mr. Do]
#259697 - 07/12/11 05:48 AM

I'll upload it flat when I'm finished tweaking it. I'm going to play around with the perspective a bit but I don't think I'll get any good results.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Finished new [Re: Antny]
#259800 - 07/13/11 03:33 AM

Do you have the original art to refer to?

The 3d of this shroud is very subtle. probably 1" or less.
It may be enough to simple have a crease line at the corners.

Definitely save a copy of the shroud flat for reproductions purposes.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Finished new [Re: TrevEB]
#259814 - 07/13/11 05:11 AM

>Do you have the original art to refer to?

Yup, a scan and stitch by Mr Do.

>The 3d of this shroud is very subtle. probably 1" or less.
It may be enough to simple have a crease line at the corners.

Yeah, there are crease lines. I just blacked them out for the quick stitch up for this post. I wouldn't create much of a 3D effect if I can at all. Either way I will upload it to the FTP when tweaked (I havn't had much time)and Mr Do can release it any way he likes.

Definitely save a copy of the shroud flat for reproductions purposes.

No doubt.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Uploaded to FTP new [Re: Antny]
#274667 - 02/01/12 03:12 AM Attachment: APB.png 453 KB (3 downloads)

Sorry it took so long. After reviewing what I thought was the finished product, I realized a missed a lot of the details. Most of the details are lost after shrinking it anyway....meehh. It would be nice if it could be left a little large (if MAME can scale it)....or maybe Mr Do can resize it better than me.

If anyone wants try to change the perspective of each piece (as they look in the cabinet) they have been uploaded individually.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Antny (02/01/12 03:17 AM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Uploaded to FTP new [Re: Antny]
#274671 - 02/01/12 04:12 AM

> Sorry it took so long. After reviewing what I thought was the finished product, I
> realized a missed a lot of the details. Most of the details are lost after shrinking
> it anyway....meehh. It would be nice if it could be left a little large (if MAME can
> scale it)....or maybe Mr Do can resize it better than me.
>
> If anyone wants try to change the perspective of each piece (as they look in the
> cabinet) they have been uploaded individually.

Another woohoo!!

I'll see if I can work out the perspective, too. (Or bribe Kiltron to do it )

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Uploaded to FTP new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274684 - 02/01/12 06:16 AM

It would nice if we could get the lights on top in the artwork Am I correct in thinking that the driver is not set up for them? Can we do it up like the Space Encounters kinda thingy?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Uploaded to FTP new [Re: Antny]
#274685 - 02/01/12 06:20 AM

> It would nice if we could get the lights on top in the artwork Am I correct in
> thinking that the driver is not set up for them? Can we do it up like the Space
> Encounters kinda thingy?

Haven't checked the driver yet, but it could be like Super Chase or Space Encounters, yes.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Light bar new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274710 - 02/01/12 07:49 PM

> > It would nice if we could get the lights on top in the artwork Am I correct in
> > thinking that the driver is not set up for them? Can we do it up like the Space
> > Encounters kinda thingy?
>
> Haven't checked the driver yet, but it could be like Super Chase or Space Encounters,
> yes.

Has anyone contacted the guy who did this yet?

http://www.coinopspace.com/group/apb/forum/topics/apb-reproduction-artwork

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Light bar new [Re: jcroach]
#274752 - 02/02/12 03:57 AM

Found a video of the lightbar in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITq54w9SKo&feature=related

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Uploaded to FTP new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274759 - 02/02/12 04:54 AM

> > It would nice if we could get the lights on top in the artwork Am I correct in
> > thinking that the driver is not set up for them? Can we do it up like the Space
> > Encounters kinda thingy?
>
> Haven't checked the driver yet, but it could be like Super Chase or Space Encounters,
> yes.

According to the APB schematics:

writes to address 0x187C on the 6502 cpu bits 2 and 3 control the red and blue lights on the top of the machine (I'm not sure which bit controls which light, but bit 2 is "LED 1" and bit 3 is "LED 2")
The lights are driven through a triac board (which often has faults, causing one or both of the lights to be stuck on or off).
other bits of the register at 0x187c control the squeak (720khz vs 640khz) clock to the tms5220c speech chip, and what mode the LETA analog to digital converter chip is in.

The function in MAME which handles writes to 0x187c (switch_6502_w) in atarysy2.c (around line 391) only handles the squeak writes to tms5220c clock control; it totally ignores the writes which control the LETA RESOL quadrature resolution control pin or the LEDs. This obviously needs to be fixed/hooked up before the artwork flashers can ever work.

(not to mention that the LETA chip emulation in atarysy2.c, rampart.c, blstroid.c and offtwall.c is sort of nonexistent, really more HLE than emulation; the inner workings of the chip are explained on JROK's site here: http://www.jrok.com/project/leta/index.htm
of particular interest is the explanation of the function of the TEST pin which is actually used on at least the 2 player joystick versions of rampart to read the joysticks THROUGH the LETA chips! RESOL's function is also explained there.)

LN

Edited by Lord Nightmare (02/02/12 08:20 AM)

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3917