aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Mac OS X Lion
#260376 - 07/20/11 06:42 PM

Quote:

Pricing & Availability
Mac OS X Lion is available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard® from the Mac App Store for $29.99 (US). Lion is the easiest OS X upgrade and at around 4GB, it is about the size of an HD movie from the iTunes Store®. Users who do not have broadband access at home, work or school can download Lion at Apple retail stores and later this August, Lion will be made available on a USB thumb drive through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) for $69 (US). Mac OS X Lion Server requires Lion and is available from the Mac App Store for $49.99 (US).

Yes, it will cost an additional forty bucks to get it on a thumb drive. Because fuck you and your stupid DVDs.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: aavada]
#260377 - 07/20/11 06:53 PM

> Yes, it will cost an additional forty bucks to get it on a thumb drive. Because fuck
> you and your stupid DVDs.

$40 for a 4GB thumb drive... that sounds about right for Apple hardware. I'm sure it'll look really cool.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: DMala]
#260393 - 07/20/11 10:48 PM

> > Yes, it will cost an additional forty bucks to get it on a thumb drive. Because
> fuck
> > you and your stupid DVDs.
>
> $40 for a 4GB thumb drive... that sounds about right for Apple hardware. I'm sure
> it'll look really cool.

It will be white and have an apple on it. That alone is worth $47, you're getting a bargain.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#260395 - 07/20/11 11:06 PM

> Yes, it will cost an additional forty bucks to get it on a thumb drive. Because fuck
> you and your stupid DVDs.

I don't need to remind you not all computers have optical drives (i.e. mini PCs). Apple hardware is not the exception.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: BIOS-D]
#260399 - 07/20/11 11:59 PM

> I don't need to remind you not all computers have optical drives (i.e. mini PCs). Apple hardware is not the exception.

That's fine. But a Mac that DOES have an optical drive is now as gimped as one without, as far as Apple software is concerned.

I cheered when Apple killed the floppy, it was long overdue. But killing DVDs? In 2011? That's bullshit.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#260401 - 07/21/11 02:30 AM

> That's fine. But a Mac that DOES have an optical drive is now as gimped as one
> without, as far as Apple software is concerned.
>
> I cheered when Apple killed the floppy, it was long overdue. But killing DVDs? In
> 2011? That's bullshit.

Even that wouldn't be so bad, but charging a $40 premium for a thumb drive that can be bought retail for $5 is pretty outrageous.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#260425 - 07/21/11 01:35 PM

Nothing like paying for a point release patch, eh?

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#260433 - 07/21/11 04:38 PM

> > That's fine. But a Mac that DOES have an optical drive is now as gimped as one
> > without, as far as Apple software is concerned.
> >
> > I cheered when Apple killed the floppy, it was long overdue. But killing DVDs? In
> > 2011? That's bullshit.
>
> Even that wouldn't be so bad, but charging a $40 premium for a thumb drive that can
> be bought retail for $5 is pretty outrageous.

You aren't seeing it from apples perspective. How else are they going to pay for the Korean call girls? Internally they call it the "Jobs Fellating Surcharge"

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

#260502 - 07/22/11 11:11 AM

I know fuck all about Apple hardware or software and I intend yto keep it that way. However, this might interest you:

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/07/19/hack-macbook-air-software-reinstall-drive-install-lion/

However, rather amusingly you do need a physical or virtual windows machine to compete the forst step.

There is no sin except stupidity.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: DR]
#260512 - 07/22/11 03:35 PM

> I know fuck all about Apple hardware or software and I intend yto keep it that way.

All you need to know:

1. Windows is the better choice for business.
2. Mac is the better choice for everything else, except games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#260515 - 07/22/11 03:45 PM

I hate Apple worse every time I hear about them. None of their computers have been worth buying over a PC since Windows 95 came out. It's all lies.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: Gor]
#260516 - 07/22/11 03:46 PM

I wanna pierce my dick and hang that dongle on my dangle.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: TriggerFin]
#260539 - 07/22/11 08:33 PM

>1. Windows is the better choice for business.

having been sys admin in places that are all pc and all mac, i'll disagree here. the fact that mac don't get viruses alone is a fucking miracle in the end-user world.

i learned everything i know from KC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: jopezu]
#260541 - 07/22/11 09:17 PM

> > 1. Windows is the better choice for business.
>
>
> having been sys admin in places that are all pc and all mac, i'll disagree here. the
> fact that mac don't get viruses alone is a fucking miracle in the end-user world.

...plus the fact it has fewer emulators and games than PCs, makes it the perfect choice for business: get people bored and a bit more productive. I really hate the wrong idea people have about Macs being the only good for sound and video processing, a good assembled PC can do that too without any problems and for less.

It also bothers me the fact good guys in public server series (so as teenager internet broadcaster series) only use Macs, while the villains use PCs. But that's a different matter.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: BIOS-D]
#260543 - 07/22/11 09:52 PM

> > > 1. Windows is the better choice for business.
> >
> >
> > having been sys admin in places that are all pc and all mac, i'll disagree here.
> the
> > fact that mac don't get viruses alone is a fucking miracle in the end-user world.
>
> ...plus the fact it has fewer emulators and games than PCs, makes it the perfect
> choice for business: get people bored and a bit more productive. I really hate the
> wrong idea people have about Macs being the only good for sound and video processing,
> a good assembled PC can do that too without any problems and for less.
>
> It also bothers me the fact good guys in public server series (so as teenager
> internet broadcaster series) only use Macs, while the villains use PCs. But that's a
> different matter.

As someone who works in the IT field, and electronics field, I'll agree on the virus point, however, software support for any kind of industrial or medical electronics is abysmal. I cringe when I hear 'We just ordered $40,000 worth of monitoring equipment from you guys, and we're just getting around to setting it up...do you have Mac support?'

(note, we are distributors, not manufacturers of said monitoring equipment)

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: igamabob]
#260546 - 07/22/11 09:59 PM

we only use office and webapps, so i don't feel that pain yet.

i learned everything i know from KC

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#260561 - 07/23/11 02:09 AM

> > That's fine. But a Mac that DOES have an optical drive is now as gimped as one
> > without, as far as Apple software is concerned.
> >
> > I cheered when Apple killed the floppy, it was long overdue. But killing DVDs? In
> > 2011? That's bullshit.
>
> Even that wouldn't be so bad, but charging a $40 premium for a thumb drive that can
> be bought retail for $5 is pretty outrageous.

Tell that to Sony as well. Their official, entry level 8MB PS2 memory cards and Dual Shock 2 controllers still cost up to A$30, whilst a PS3 controller still costs one hundred dollars. An 8MB memory card costs more than a Sony brand 8GB USB stick, just because it has the PlayStation logo on it.

That would be like Microsoft started selling single DVD-Rs for $39.95 each because they are compatible with Windows 7.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: Mac OS X Lion new [Re: jopezu]
#260573 - 07/23/11 05:12 AM

> we only use office and webapps, so i don't feel that pain yet.

Ah, so you've got overpriced word processors. It always amazed me, when I worked IT support for Warren City Schools, the number of teachers who, needing nothing but s bit of word processing, e-mail, and maybe a spreadsheet or 2, would go out and spend $1800 on a Mac Book Pro.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

I'll give 'em this though new [Re: Smitdogg]
#260593 - 07/23/11 03:16 PM

> I hate Apple worse every time I hear about them. None of their computers have been
> worth buying over a PC since Windows 95 came out. It's all lies.

They make the best PC cases that look like cans of spam.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2856