Pages: 1

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Recommendations for repair of scratched DVD's / CD's
#263900 - 09/04/11 11:05 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for DVD / CD repair ?

Do the manual "wind the handle" devices work OK ?

Or go for a machine with an electric motor ?

What about refills for the repair liquids / replacement pads ?

I'm probably going to start buying Blu-Rays soon (resisted so far). So, if there's anything that works for Blu-Ray discs as well, that would be a nice bonus.

Moose

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Re: Recommendations for repair of scratched DVD's / CD's new [Re: Moose]
#263902 - 09/04/11 01:02 PM

I repaired a few scratched CD's out of my collection before I burned the lot to mp3. I used the motorized version and achieved OK results.

The machine removed the shiny surface on the CD, and left a machined finish from the circular pads and supplied abrasive paste.

This method only works for light scratches on the underside of the CD.

I had a Sisters of Mercy CD single (More) which pieces of the printed layer had de-laminated from the surface. After using the CD resurfacing machine I could see through the plastic when I held it up to the light.

When ripping my CD's to mp3 format I found that there was variation from different CD and CD/DVD drives as to how they picked up scratches on the surface of the CD during ripping.

My modern Asus 32x CD/DVD had trouble with scratched CD's but my older CD/R drive had no problem with the same disk.
I ended up replacing about 5 CD's in my collection with ebay purchases.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

Edited by Tingoes (09/04/11 01:05 PM)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Recommendations for repair of scratched DVD's / CD's new [Re: Tingoes]
#263903 - 09/04/11 01:14 PM

> I repaired a few scratched CD's out of my collection before I burned the lot to mp3.
> I used the motorized version and achieved OK results.
>
> The machine removed the shiny surface on the CD, and left a machined finish from the
> circular pads and supplied abrasive paste.
>
> This method only works for light scratches on the underside of the CD.
>
> I had a Sisters of Mercy CD single (More) which pieces of the printed layer had
> de-laminated from the surface. After using the CD resurfacing machine I could see
> through the plastic when I held it up to the light.
>
> When ripping my CD's to mp3 format I found that there was variation from different CD
> and CD/DVD drives as to how they picked up scratches on the surface of the CD during
> ripping.
>
> My modern Asus 32x CD/DVD had trouble with scratched CD's but my older CD/R drive had
> no problem with the same disk.
> I ended up replacing about 5 CD's in my collection with ebay purchases.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

It's abrasive? Keep it away from anything other than CDs, then.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Take better care of your stuff... new [Re: Moose]
#263904 - 09/04/11 02:25 PM

Are your discs in such bad shape that they *need* repair? Here in the States, a lot of video rental stores have professional-grade machines for disc resurfacing. They'll usually charge a few dollars per disc. Perhaps the shops down under offer a similar service.

I've never used one of the cheap, hand-crank devices, but many people have told me that they provide middling results at best.

Blu-rays have a scratch-resistent laminate on the underside, so it's unlikely they'll ever need resurfacing. It may not be possible anyway, since the data layer is so much closer to the surface than with DVDs and CDs.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Game Stop new [Re: Moose]
#263909 - 09/04/11 04:52 PM

Or similar resale shop for dvd games. They repair them routinely for resale.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#263915 - 09/04/11 06:14 PM

For small scratches I use a small blob of toothpaste (brand does not matter). Then rub with a clean cloth until the scratch is gone. This works on DVDs and CDs. BluRay I havent tried it on yet but considering how close the data is to the edge I doubt it would work.

Also keep your discs in the cases they came in as much as possible. Dirt builds up in paper sleeves and in those CD books. Then they scratch every time you put one in and take it out. You can use stuff like that but you just have to be on the look out for dirt. As it is the dirt that causes the scratches in the first place.

Also use the center hole edge grab for them. As you will almost always end up with some dirt on them if you dont. I know its not always possible but as much as possible.

Also if you have to set a CD down on a surface put it shiny side up. And then it should only be a small time as I know i forget about them then end up with dirt all over them. But face down they get scratched up.

For the 'oh my god what have you done to this cd' I take it to a local guy who charges 2-3 bucks for it. He charges a lot less if I do a bunch at once. I have only had to use him a couple of times for CDs I got from someone else.

Preventative maintenance goes a long way. I have 2000+ discs and maybe 5 are unusable. Those are due to the data layer coming undone from the plastic carrier (the part that gets scratched). One DVD I have the silver layer has started to rust.

It really strikes me as amazing how people treat CDs.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#263949 - 09/05/11 05:21 AM

If you have a bench grinder, there are cloth wheels available out there that, with a little bit of windex, do a damned good job.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#263952 - 09/05/11 05:58 AM

> I'm probably going to start buying Blu-Rays soon (resisted so far). So, if there's
> anything that works for Blu-Ray discs as well, that would be a nice bonus.

Blu-Ray discs are surprisingly scratch resistant. They were designed that way. I'm not saying they're impossible to scratch, just that it's a lot more difficult to do so in comparison to a regular CD / DVD.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I hope Jop stops by just before bed.... new [Re: Moose]
#263956 - 09/05/11 06:31 AM

This is a classic horror thread made just for him.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Recommendations for repair of scratched DVD's / CD's new [Re: Foxhack]
#263958 - 09/05/11 07:08 AM

> > I'm probably going to start buying Blu-Rays soon (resisted so far). So, if there's
> > anything that works for Blu-Ray discs as well, that would be a nice bonus.
>
> Blu-Ray discs are surprisingly scratch resistant. They were designed that way. I'm
> not saying they're impossible to scratch, just that it's a lot more difficult to do
> so in comparison to a regular CD / DVD.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The discs were on long-term loan to a "friend", and they have come back in appalling condition (lots of very deep scratches, and covered with light sctratches). He blames his kids .... No wonder he was so reluctant to return them. Needless to say I wont be lending this person any CD's / DVD's anymore.

I'll probably buy one of the electric motor machines and give it a go. If it's no good, I'll just re-buy the disks.

Moose

Moose
Send PM

Re: I hope Jop stops by just before bed.... new [Re: italie]
#263959 - 09/05/11 07:09 AM

> This is a classic horror thread made just for him.

LOL, actually one of the disks looks almost that bad.

Moose

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#263975 - 09/05/11 04:23 PM

> I'll probably buy one of the electric motor machines and give it a go. If it's no
> good, I'll just re-buy the disks.

Personally, I'd send the friend a bill, too.

Kids or no kids, I wouldn't dream of borrowing something and then returning it in unusable condition. If shit happens and something gets damaged, you replace it or at the very least offer to pay for repairs/replacement. Some people have a lot of nerve.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#263985 - 09/05/11 06:49 PM

> > > I'm probably going to start buying Blu-Rays soon (resisted so far). So, if
> there's
> > > anything that works for Blu-Ray discs as well, that would be a nice bonus.
> >
> > Blu-Ray discs are surprisingly scratch resistant. They were designed that way. I'm
> > not saying they're impossible to scratch, just that it's a lot more difficult to do
> > so in comparison to a regular CD / DVD.
>
> Thanks for all the replies everyone.
>
> The discs were on long-term loan to a "friend", and they have come back in appalling
> condition (lots of very deep scratches, and covered with light sctratches). He blames
> his kids .... No wonder he was so reluctant to return them. Needless to say I wont be
> lending this person any CD's / DVD's anymore.
>
> I'll probably buy one of the electric motor machines and give it a go. If it's no

I'm a fan of those online services that don't buff the discs, instead they repolish them using special machines melt down the bottom so the cracks are filled up. A guy I know used this method and fixed 9 out of 10 discs I sent him.

I just don't trust polishing machines.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Recommendations for repair of scratched DVD's / CD's new [Re: Foxhack]
#263994 - 09/05/11 07:37 PM

> I'm a fan of those online services that don't buff the discs, instead they repolish
> them using special machines melt down the bottom so the cracks are filled up. A guy I
> know used this method and fixed 9 out of 10 discs I sent him.
>
> I just don't trust polishing machines.

Can you name one? (or more)

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#264000 - 09/05/11 08:51 PM

> Thanks for all the replies everyone.
>
> The discs were on long-term loan to a "friend", and they have come back in appalling
> condition (lots of very deep scratches, and covered with light scratches). He blames
> his kids .... No wonder he was so reluctant to return them. Needless to say I wont be
> lending this person any CD's / DVD's anymore.
>

This kind of reminds me of a time way back in time when not everyone had a cell phone. I bought one for my wife. Her sister did not have one. Her sister's family was going to drive 14 hours to go on vacation so they borrowed it in case of car trouble. I was against this from the get go. I'm funny about people handling my shit... CDs, DVDs, phones, etc., I usually don't loan stuff out. Anyway, when the phone came back, the wire for the charger literally looked like it was attached to a drill and wound up as tight as it could go. I was so pissed that I couldn't even say anything about it! I took me hours to get that wire straight again. I told my wife that she won't be loaning anything with a wire out again!

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#264006 - 09/05/11 10:56 PM

Let us know how the electric motor machine works out, I have some scratched disks myself and have been wondering if its worth trying to polish them.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#264016 - 09/06/11 05:55 AM

Think I used toothpaste on a few light scratches on a game CD one time and it worked long enough to make a copy of it.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

you have proven yourself unworthy new [Re: Moose]
#264020 - 09/06/11 07:13 AM

your punishment; buy them again

i learned everything i know from KC

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Have a Family Video in your area? new [Re: Moose]
#264029 - 09/06/11 11:32 AM

A new one opened up here about a year ago, and the best service they provide is disk cleaning/repair for about a buck each. Most of my GameCube collection would be unplayable today thanks to raising two kids if it weren't for them.

I must have given them $30-$50 in disk cleaning alone between old GC disks, DVD movies, etc.

They note that they don't want BluRay disks in the machine, as it could damage the disk, but CDs and DVDs are fine.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Take better care of your stuff... new [Re: Allnatural]
#264055 - 09/06/11 06:15 PM

is that true? blu-rays can't scratch?

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: Take better care of your stuff... new [Re: jopezu]
#264079 - 09/06/11 09:49 PM

> is that true? blu-rays can't scratch?

Scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

Originally the discs were to be within a cartridge (like Minidiscs) because the data layer is so close to the surface. Then TDK created a scratch resistant laminate, and the cartridge was deemed unnecessary.

http://www.physorg.com/news2615.html

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3111