Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

i still get choked up ten years later
#264302 - 09/09/11 07:40 AM

http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-nyu-dorm

http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-on-911

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: i still get choked up ten years later new [Re: Andrew]
#264304 - 09/09/11 08:21 AM

> http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-nyu-dorm
>
> http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-on-911

The images of the burning building don't have the same impact anymore, I think we've been bombarded with those too many times over the years. But when that second plane hits and everyone starts screaming, the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

me too... new [Re: Andrew]
#264310 - 09/09/11 02:35 PM

I had turned on the tv just in time to see the second plane hit. The sight of that, and the audible *gasp* from the newscasters
as they realized it was intentional is burned in my memory.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: i still get choked up ten years later new [Re: DMala]
#264329 - 09/09/11 07:14 PM

> > http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-nyu-dorm
> >
> > http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-on-911
>
> The images of the burning building don't have the same impact anymore, I think we've
> been bombarded with those too many times over the years. But when that second plane
> hits and everyone starts screaming, the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up.

The people falling... That's the worst thing to see.

LEVEL-4

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: i still get choked up ten years later new [Re: Andrew]
#264350 - 09/09/11 10:51 PM

> http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-nyu-dorm
>
> http://www.history.com/videos/caroline-dries-on-911

The Mrs bought a book for her art course on the artist Joan Miró, I was flicking through it when I noticed that one piece said 'Destroyed in 2001 while on display in the WTC'
That was a bit of a weird moment!

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Same Here... new [Re: Andrew]
#264368 - 09/10/11 04:52 AM

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. IT still seems like it was just yesterday. I was in my biochemistry lab and the teacher ALWAYS had a news channel on for one reason or another. I remember the break-in to report that a plane had hit one of the towers and just went "wow, that's horrible". I didn't think TOO much of it. Then, as they were showing a live feed and the second plane hit, I just felt sick. At that point, I don't think there was anybody in the room who thought it was an accident. Later reports from elsewhere in PA and the Pentagon just confirmed it. I don't ever in my life remember feeling that stunned, or speechless about anything. I usually come up with some quip or random comment, but that day I don't recall saying a whole lot.

I also remember nearly getting the crap beat out of me by some frat boys after defending a Muslim student. (After the WTC attacks, it seemed like anybody who wore traditional Muslim garb or was of Arabic descent was getting harassed non-stop.) There were a group of kids who always did their prayers, never ate pork, didn't drink, etc. etc. but were the most open and friendliest people on the planet. I had spent a good deal of time talking with them while I was in college about the Islamic beliefs and their thoughts. I can't recall the exact name of the "type" of faith they followed, but basically they believed that being good sent you to a better afterlife and that they needed to follow the lifestyle habits set out by Mohammed. They did not, however, believe that non-muslim people should be attacked, harassed, or treated like garbage. They felt that everybody had their own right to practice any religion they wanted, and that as long as they were a "good person at heart", Allah would forgive them and treat them well.

Anyway, while in the college's main hall where they had TV's set up for all of us to watch the news, some idiot frat boys started verbally assaulting these kids, and one even ripped off the turban that one of them was wearing. I decided to just step in and say "hey, leave them alone. They're just as horrified by all this as we are. Don't be as inhuman as those fucking terrorists that did this." One of the frat boys then made an advance towards me and a security guard on campus saw that and stepped in and told the frat boys to get out. The kids I was defending me thanked me and apologized for being there and causing the incident. I just said there was no need to apologize and they had every right to be there and mourn as the rest of us were. I think that whole incident was one of the worst things I experienced shortly thereafter.

I know that the fight against terrorism isn't over, and that the death of Bin Laden didn't end anything, but I do have to admit that when watching ESPN that Sunday night and the play-by-play guys announced his death, I never felt so happy in my entire life. I'm willing to go through hell to get on an airplane because of this. I just hope the security increase moves on to trains as well since I use trains to get to and from work on numerous occassions and the security there is frighteningly absent.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Same Here... new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264394 - 09/10/11 07:56 AM

> I know that the fight against terrorism isn't over, and that the death of Bin Laden
> didn't end anything, but I do have to admit that when watching ESPN that Sunday night
> and the play-by-play guys announced his death, I never felt so happy in my entire
> life. I'm willing to go through hell to get on an airplane because of this. I just
> hope the security increase moves on to trains as well since I use trains to get to
> and from work on numerous occassions and the security there is frighteningly absent.

That's the mindset the real terrorists wanted to form into the collective consciousness of the sheeple.

LEVEL-4

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: Same Here... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#264397 - 09/10/11 08:07 AM

> > I know that the fight against terrorism isn't over, and that the death of Bin Laden
> > didn't end anything, but I do have to admit that when watching ESPN that Sunday
> night
> > and the play-by-play guys announced his death, I never felt so happy in my entire
> > life. I'm willing to go through hell to get on an airplane because of this. I just
> > hope the security increase moves on to trains as well since I use trains to get to
> > and from work on numerous occassions and the security there is frighteningly
> absent.
>
> That's the mindset the real terrorists wanted to form into the collective
> consciousness of the sheeple.

True, but I still get on the trains. Not going to change my required methods of transportation due to some fanatic douche-bags. I'm a guy of small stature and not very intimidating, but if my life is in jeopardy, I will kill someone if needed. As a man who has followed science and learned a great deal regarding human anatomy, I do know where to strike to kill someone. It's actually VERY scary knowing that a weak elbow strike to the bottom of the nose, if done at the proper angle, can send the cartilage of the nose through the center of the brain instantly killing the victim. It's knowledge I almost wish I didn't have.

I am just an imbecile.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

*raises the BS flag* Knowlege you 'have'? Really? new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264432 - 09/11/11 12:36 AM

Myth buddy. Anatomically impossible. You know there is thick, hard bone behind the nose, right? And you think you can send a thin piece of soft bone/cartilage through it?

Just watch heavyweight boxing or UFC. If it were possible, there would be a pretty large number of dead boxers as a result of an unfortunate uppercut.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: *raises the BS flag* Knowlege you 'have'? Really? new [Re: URherenow]
#264448 - 09/11/11 02:38 AM

> Myth buddy. Anatomically impossible. You know there is thick, hard bone behind the
> nose, right? And you think you can send a thin piece of soft bone/cartilage through
> it?
>
> Just watch heavyweight boxing or UFC. If it were possible, there would be a pretty
> large number of dead boxers as a result of an unfortunate uppercut.

Well the bone that is in the middle of the nasal passage is quite thin. It's not nearly as thick as the rest of the skull in that area. There has to be a hole in order to allow us to breathe. Though when thinking about it, it would probably take just the right shot at just the right spot with just the right force in order to break that bone and potentially do damage to the brain.

Hell, the fact that it's a myth is much better feeling since it would make me less hesitant to actually do that if I need to. I know that a shot to the nose will temporarily stun you and make it difficult to see, and if someone is stunned for just one second, that gives you enough time to either get away, or attack the side of the knee of the assaulter and take out their support structure. Then just beat on them from behind as much as you can. lol.

I am just an imbecile.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

9/11 new [Re: Andrew]
#264454 - 09/11/11 04:04 AM Attachment: 9-11 logo 640.png 52 KB (0 downloads)

I'm currently at Battle Assembly and there's going to be a memorial service tomorrow.

I hope everyone who has a chance tomorrow can thank a fireman, policeman, or soldier for their service.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

There is however another way new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264455 - 09/11/11 04:10 AM Attachment: ballpunch.png 139 KB (0 downloads)

The cartilage in the pubic bone in the middle of the erectile passage is quite thin. It's not nearly as thick as the rest of the pelvis in that area. There has to be a hole in order to allow us to pee. Though when thinking about it, it would probably take just the right shot at just the right spot with just the right force in order to break that bone and potentially do damage to the brain.

I know that a shot to the balls will temporarily stun you and make it difficult to see, and if someone is stunned for just one second, that gives you enough time to either get away, or attack the side of the Johnson of the assaulter and take out their athletic supporter. Then just beat on them up their behind as much as you can. lol.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: There is however another way new [Re: GatKong]
#264463 - 09/11/11 04:58 AM

> The cartilage in the pubic bone in the middle of the erectile passage is quite thin.
> It's not nearly as thick as the rest of the pelvis in that area. There has to be a
> hole in order to allow us to pee. Though when thinking about it, it would probably
> take just the right shot at just the right spot with just the right force in order to
> break that bone and potentially do damage to the brain.
>
> I know that a shot to the balls will temporarily stun you and make it difficult to
> see, and if someone is stunned for just one second, that gives you enough time to
> either get away, or attack the side of the Johnson of the assaulter and take out
> their athletic supporter. Then just beat on them up their behind as much as you can.
> lol.

Yeah, I'm honestly a bit hesitant to get into any type of fight/brawl since I honestly don't know what I'd do in a situation where my safety and life is at risk. I just know that if I was forced to, I would fight to the death and just go ballistic. One of us would get away and report the incident to the police. The other would have a memorial service.

Then again, I also have a concealed pistol permit here in CT but feel that guns should ONLY be used in self-defense where there is no other option and if I don't use that gun, I will be killed.

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: 9/11 new [Re: Gemini]
#264464 - 09/11/11 04:59 AM

> I'm currently at Battle Assembly and there's going to be a memorial service tomorrow.
>
> I hope everyone who has a chance tomorrow can thank a fireman, policeman, or soldier
> for their service.

In about 62 minutes, it will be 11-Sep-2011 here on the East Coast. I still am getting chills just thinking about it. Such a horrific thing to see. I'm so happy my niece and nephew will only know of it from the history books and didn't see it first hand.

Edit: I'm in Manhattan quite a bit for work, and every time I go, when I see a police officer or fireman/woman, I always thank them for their service.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: me too... new [Re: Allnatural]
#264465 - 09/11/11 05:12 AM

I was in the Army at the time, having served as part of a DART (Downed Aircraft Rescue Team). We watched the second plane as it happened on a secure feed, and assumed we would be needed and started scrambling to deploy there to rescue survivors... that we would get the call to deploy seemed obvious... but after the towers collapsed they told us to stand down! The expected "overwhelmed responders" never happened... That was stunning that the wreckage was so absolute and complete, the number of "injured" in need of rescue was negligible... by in large people were either out alive... or not.

Edited by Gatinho (09/11/11 05:18 AM)

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: me too... new [Re: GatKong]
#264466 - 09/11/11 07:25 AM

> I was in the Army at the time, having served as part of a DART (Downed Aircraft
> Rescue Team). We watched the second plane as it happened on a secure feed, and
> assumed we would be needed and started scrambling to deploy there to rescue
> survivors... that we would get the call to deploy seemed obvious... but after the
> towers collapsed they told us to stand down! The expected "overwhelmed responders"
> never happened... That was stunning that the wreckage was so absolute and complete,
> the number of "injured" in need of rescue was negligible... by in large people were
> either out alive... or not.

Wow. Well, regardless, thank you for your time in the service. If there is anything good that could have come from this, I think it's that those of us here in the USA appreciate and respect the servicemen and women, military and civil, that are willing to offer up their lives to protect us all. My father served 20+ years in the Navy during the Cold War. He was away at sea in every ocean in the world for 6 months at a time helping to defend our country. As a child, I never thought much of it. Once the event from ten years ago happened, I really thought about what he did and gained a lot of respect for him. When I awake tomorrow morning/afternoon, I will certainly be calling him to thank him for all that work. (I realized once I thought about it how many promotions and advancement he turned down just for me. I came down with Type I Diabetes at a very young age while he was out to sea. He was asked to move to various Naval bases around the country, but refused to do so in order for me to stay with the same doctors and remain in the same schools where I would be known and safe. At one point, he had to move up to Portsmouth, NH and commute home on the weekend in order to keep me where I grew up. I never really got a chance to thank him for that, but I'll be sure to do so tomorrow).

What I'm hoping for ten years later is that the horrific events from September 11th, 2001 have done the OPPOSITE of what those cowards wanted. It brought our country together, made us more patriotic than ever, and made us respect our military, police officers, and firemen/women like we never have before. The celebrations and unity that was shown around the country when Bin Laden's death was announced will forever sit in my head as one of the happiest moments of my life. (Up there with the way my grandmother cried when the Berlin Wall fell in 1989. She emigrated from Germany to the US right before WWII broke out, and had half her family in East Germany, and half in West Germany. It was always difficult for her to get to see all of them due to how strictly the border was held. I was only 9 years old when the wall fell, but I knew that I was witnessing something historic when it happened. It just so happened that my grandmother was visiting us when that happened. I've never seen someone so overwhelmed with grief, sadness, happiness, exhilaration, and relief all at the same time.)

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

Re: Same Here... new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264473 - 09/11/11 10:11 AM

> I'm willing to go through hell to get on an airplane because of this. I just
> hope the security increase moves on to trains as well since I use trains to get to
> and from work on numerous occassions and the security there is frighteningly absent.

How far would you go with this, exactly?

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: *raises the BS flag* Knowlege you 'have'? Really? new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264481 - 09/11/11 04:12 PM

The last bit you wrote is spot on. That's exactly why you go for the nose. Any death resulting from such a thing has nothing to do with cartilage entering the brain.
In fact a spike through the eye socket and swirling it around is how lobotomies used to get done in the medievil days... didn't cause *too* many deaths at all, considering what was being done.

Those so called '1 blow' deaths are from internal bleeding and severe concussion and such, especially when the blow knocks them out and they crack thier skull on the concrete.

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

This is just too difficult to watch... new [Re: Andrew]
#264483 - 09/11/11 04:38 PM

I must first state that I'm really quite the non-emotional individual. Not sure why. Perhaps it's because I was brought up in a military family. I still don't know or understand why I didn't cry when my grandparents died. That still haunts me to this day. I only recall getting teary eyed while at my best friend's wedding after he started to tear up while reciting his vows.

But today, I can't keep my eyes dry. The videos, the pictures, the stories, the memories. I just feel sick. Right now as I hear Paul Simon singing "Sounds of Silence", I can barely see. It feels good to know that I am human and I do have emotions, but this is just too much. Suddenly, every issue I have with fears of losing my job, losing my home, not having power, not winning a poker hand, etc. mean nothing.

I've never been happier to be American than I am today.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2975