Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new
#269116 - 11/20/11 06:39 AM

...and I've finally stumbled upon my own recipe. This is genius, I can' believe it hadn't occurred to me until now. Pizza party, my house. Prepare to have an orgasm in your mouth.

(still haven't figured out my grandmothers, but this is a close second)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: italie]
#269122 - 11/20/11 07:50 AM

What kind of crust? Post the recipe.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: redk9258]
#269123 - 11/20/11 08:27 AM

> What kind of crust? Post the recipe.

I'm not done messing with the recipe proportions, but it's basically a tweaked taralli dough. Flour, oil, pepper, salt, fennel, and garlic powder.

I think I'm going to have to add a little yeast or baking powder to get the flake just right, but the taste is out of this world.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: italie]
#269125 - 11/20/11 09:49 AM

> Prepare to have an orgasm in
> your mouth.
>
>

Ewww... is that your secret ingredient? Or is that your price for slice?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#269146 - 11/20/11 06:13 PM

So it's a thin crackery crust? That's what I'm looking for. I've tried a couple of recipes that I've found on the online but didn't have much luck with them coming out as good as I wanted. The last one I tried had good flavor, but I needed a dough sheeter to get it to the right thickness. In other words, I didn't have enough ass to roll it thin enough (I really do have enough ass, but just couldn't get it thin enough). I told my daughter that if I use that recipe again, I will get two pieces of Masonite and sandwich the doughball in between. I will then back the car over it to "roll" it out! Actually, I will just cut back on flour next time.

I have been using pizza shells that I buy in St. Louis in an Italian neighborhood called The Hill.

If your looking for an easy sweet and tangy sauce recipe, here's mine...

Quote:

Redk9258's Sweet and Tangy Pizza Sauce...

Single batch (2-3 12" pizzas):
--------------------------
6 oz. Tomato Paste (canned - Contadina)
6 oz. Water
1 TBL. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Dry Basil Leaves
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt

Simmer all ingredients for 10-15 minutes. Do not burn sauce! Let cool before using. Refrigerate overnight for best taste.

I usually make 4 times this recipe and use the sauce for the next week or two depending on how much the family is wanting pizza. I have one daughter that could eat it every day.

By the way, I mostly use Provel cheese. It is a blend of Swiss, Provolone and White Cheddar. It is a St. Louis thing that most, but not all, people from St. Louis love. Most people not from the area hate it. I find it very addictive. I has kind of a salty taste that goes very well with sweet sauce. We buy it in 5# blocks on "The Hill". It is less than half the price of buying it in a grocery store.

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

Re: xtra sauce (nT) hold the pineapple new [Re: italie]
#269158 - 11/20/11 07:39 PM

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Cheese new [Re: redk9258]
#269168 - 11/20/11 09:22 PM

> I have been using pizza shells that I buy in St. Louis in an Italian neighborhood called The Hill.

"Saint Louis? I'll bet he uses Provel..."

> By the way, I mostly use Provel cheese.

"Nailed it."

I'll never understand why that stuff is so regional, it's a wonderful option. The texture is very snappy, I love it!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: redk9258]
#269171 - 11/20/11 10:31 PM

Pizza sauce should never be "sweet".
People always go overboard on the sugar.

Red sauce should be savory... acidy, salty, garlicky, and herby (basil and oregano, mainly).

Since we're talking about pizza, believe it or not, one of my all-time favorite pizzas was a frozen pizza from Freschetta. It was part of their "Brick Oven" line of thin-crust pizzas, but sadly it's been discontinued.

Basically, it was a square thin-crust pizza with a garlic cream sauce, topped with a blend of fontina and asiago cheese and bacon. Fucking incredible.

Fontina is without question my favorite type of cheese. Blending it with asiago gives it a bit of punch that really works on pizza.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Hmmm... should I go for it? new [Re: aavada]
#269172 - 11/20/11 10:35 PM

> > I have been using pizza shells that I buy in St. Louis in an Italian neighborhood
> called The Hill.
>
> "Saint Louis? I'll bet he uses Provel..."
>
>
> > By the way, I mostly use Provel cheese.
>
> "Nailed it."
>
> I'll never understand why that stuff is so regional, it's a wonderful option. The
> texture is very snappy, I love it!

http://www.shopviviano.com/products/Provel.html

Will it make my tummy happy?

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Hmmm... should I go for it? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#269174 - 11/20/11 10:54 PM

That's the store that I buy my shells from. There are a couple of places on The Hill that sells Provel for a little less. Five pounds of this stuff goes a long way. You only need to use about half as much as mozzarella unless you want it all over your oven. It needs to get slightly brown for the best taste. It needs sweet sauce to contrast the slightly salty taste. Also, it should only be put on a crispy thin crust pizza, never thick. This stuff is also great on salad with sweet Italian dressing, preferably from Imo's. (I didn't realize they sold this on Amazon.)

I would be glad to send you a pound to try but shipping would be expensive. Plus, what could I pack it in? Dry ice would be ideal, but I'm not sure where to get it.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: krick]
#269175 - 11/20/11 11:00 PM

> Pizza sauce should never be "sweet".
> People always go overboard on the sugar.
>
> Red sauce should be savory... acidy, salty, garlicky, and herby (basil and oregano,
> mainly).
>
>
> Since we're talking about pizza, believe it or not, one of my all-time favorite
> pizzas was a frozen pizza from Freschetta. It was part of their "Brick Oven" line of
> thin-crust pizzas, but sadly it's been discontinued.
>
> Basically, it was a square thin-crust pizza with a garlic cream sauce, topped with a
> blend of fontina and asiago cheese and bacon. Fucking incredible.
>
> Fontina is without question my favorite type of cheese. Blending it with asiago gives
> it a bit of punch that really works on pizza.

The sauce needs to be sweet to contrast the saltiness of Provel Cheese although I have made hand tossed pizzas with mozzarella and they turned out very good.

What I really don't like is the new Dominoes Pizza. It is overloaded with garlic. It's hard to fuck up pizza so it is not edible, but they have succeeded.

I actually like Jack's frozen pizza. The trick is to cook it on a preheated pizza stone.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Check the grocery first. new [Re: Mr. Do]
#269178 - 11/20/11 11:57 PM

If you've got a Save-A-Lot nearby see if they have any. The founder must be a fan because I've always been able to find it there.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Check the grocery first. new [Re: aavada]
#269179 - 11/21/11 12:05 AM

> If you've got a Save-A-Lot nearby see if they have any. The founder must be a fan
> because I've always been able to find it there.

Makes sense... From Wikipedia..

Quote:

Save-a-Lot is a discount supermarket chain headquartered in Earth City, Missouri, near St. Louis, United States.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#269212 - 11/21/11 12:07 PM

> By the way, I mostly use Provel cheese. It is a blend of Swiss, Provolone and White
> Cheddar. It is a St. Louis thing that most, but not all, people from St. Louis love.
> Most people not from the area hate it. I find it very addictive. I has kind of a
> salty taste that goes very well with sweet sauce. We buy it in 5# blocks on "The
> Hill". It is less than half the price of buying it in a grocery store.

FFS how can anyone enjoy a pizza that's made with processed cheese? That stuff is foul, and should be confined to McDonalds burgers and other shit that doesn't qualify as food.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#269219 - 11/21/11 03:09 PM

> FFS how can anyone enjoy a pizza that's made with processed cheese? That stuff is
> foul, and should be confined to McDonalds burgers and other shit that doesn't qualify
> as food.

It is classified as a processed cheese but is nothing like McDonald's uses. It is only classified processed because three types of cheeses are melted together and it is Pasteurized. The shit that McDonald's uses probably has other fillers added. I guess when cheese is melted on pizza, it is at that point also processed.

You would have to try it to make a real decision. Since you are half way 'round the planet, I don't think it would be very easy to obtain.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#269220 - 11/21/11 03:31 PM

> > FFS how can anyone enjoy a pizza that's made with processed cheese? That stuff is
> > foul, and should be confined to McDonalds burgers and other shit that doesn't qualify
> > as food.
>
> It is classified as a processed cheese but is nothing like McDonald's uses. It is
> only classified processed because three types of cheeses are melted together and it
> is Pasteurized. The shit that McDonald's uses probably has other fillers added. I
> guess when cheese is melted on pizza, it is at that point also processed.
>
> You would have to try it to make a real decision. Since you are half way 'round the
> planet, I don't think it would be very easy to obtain.

Point taken - put it on my list of things to try if I ever end up in St Louis.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#269221 - 11/21/11 03:38 PM

Once upon a time, I used to think Domino's was good pizza. Then they made their pizzas (here in Australia at least) smaller AND more expensive at the same time so I stopped going there and discovered what GOOD pizza is like.
These days I buy frozen pizza bases (dont have the skills, time or interest to try my own fresh dough) and a whole pile of toppings and make my own pizza with exactly what I want on it.

I do a killer meat-lovers with BBQ sauce, red onion, beef strips, ham, salami, pepperoni, cabanossi and bacon. I used to put chilli on pizza but I stopped doing it as all it does is burns your mouth off without adding anything worthwhile to the flavor.
Still looking for another meat I can add to my 6-meat pizza to make it a 7-meat pizza, suggestions appreciated

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: jonwil]
#269230 - 11/21/11 05:53 PM

> Once upon a time, I used to think Domino's was good pizza. Then they made their
> pizzas (here in Australia at least) smaller AND more expensive at the same time so I
> stopped going there and discovered what GOOD pizza is like.
> These days I buy frozen pizza bases (dont have the skills, time or interest to try my
> own fresh dough) and a whole pile of toppings and make my own pizza with exactly what
> I want on it.
>
> I do a killer meat-lovers with BBQ sauce, red onion, beef strips, ham, salami,
> pepperoni, cabanossi and bacon. I used to put chilli on pizza but I stopped doing it
> as all it does is burns your mouth off without adding anything worthwhile to the
> flavor.
> Still looking for another meat I can add to my 6-meat pizza to make it a 7-meat
> pizza, suggestions appreciated

They may not as good as anything you can make yourself, but they're much better than than of the cardboard-crusted unseasoned crap most other places offer. Not all of the crusts are garlic-drenched, either.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: jonwil]
#269261 - 11/22/11 01:45 AM

> Once upon a time, I used to think Domino's was good pizza. Then they made their
> pizzas (here in Australia at least) smaller AND more expensive at the same time so I
> stopped going there and discovered what GOOD pizza is like.
> These days I buy frozen pizza bases (dont have the skills, time or interest to try my
> own fresh dough) and a whole pile of toppings and make my own pizza with exactly what
> I want on it.
>
> I do a killer meat-lovers with BBQ sauce, red onion, beef strips, ham, salami,
> pepperoni, cabanossi and bacon. I used to put chilli on pizza but I stopped doing it
> as all it does is burns your mouth off without adding anything worthwhile to the
> flavor.
> Still looking for another meat I can add to my 6-meat pizza to make it a 7-meat
> pizza, suggestions appreciated

MORE BACON.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#269278 - 11/22/11 06:30 AM

> They may not as good as anything you can make yourself, but they're much better than
> than of the cardboard-crusted unseasoned crap most other places offer. Not all of the
> crusts are garlic-drenched, either.

Yeah, there's definitely better pizza to be had, but Domino's is actually decent pizza. It also has a strong association with college for me (Domino's took Husky Points back in the day) so the nostalgia factor adds to it as well.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Foxhack]
#269294 - 11/22/11 11:47 AM

> meat-lovers with BBQ sauce, red onion, beef strips, ham, salami, pepperoni, cabanossi and bacon....
> Still looking for another meat I can add to my 6-meat pizza to make it a 7-meat pizza, suggestions appreciated.

Ground beef and sausage are obvious common choices. Chicken is an option. Grab some thin-sliced deli meats and strip them, pastrami might challenge the bbq....

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: DMala]
#269300 - 11/22/11 03:08 PM

> Yeah, there's definitely better pizza to be had, but Domino's is actually decent
> pizza. It also has a strong association with college for me (Domino's took Husky
> Points back in the day) so the nostalgia factor adds to it as well.

Domino's used to have decent pizza. When they started selling there new recipe, they went backward. I wish they offered a choice between the classic recipe and the new, shitty one.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#269305 - 11/22/11 05:31 PM

Quote:

Hand Tossed: Our garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste.

Crunchy Thin: Thin enough for the optimum crispy to crunchy ratio.

Ultimate Deep Dish: Extra thick to support potential topping overload.

Brooklyn Style: Hand stretched to be big, thin and perfectly foldable.

Artisan-Style: (New and not well described.)

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#269307 - 11/22/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

Hand Tossed: Our garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste.

Crunchy Thin: Thin enough for the optimum crispy to crunchy ratio.

Ultimate Deep Dish: Extra thick to support potential topping overload.

Brooklyn Style: Hand stretched to be big, thin and perfectly foldable.

Artisan-Style: (New and not well described.)

Yeah, so? Their old hand tossed was much better then "Hand Tossed: Our garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste."
I know you can order without the "garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste", but they changed the sauce. It now tastes like shit. Instead, I'll just go to Little Caesars and buy their $5 pizza. It's pretty good when fresh, but doesn't reheat worth a damn. I would go to Pizza Hut once in a while, but the one in our town sucks.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#269316 - 11/22/11 08:48 PM

What, you want me to list the choice of sauces, too? All of them are better than the place up the street anyway.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... [Re: TriggerFin]
#269322 - 11/22/11 11:57 PM

> What, you want me to list the choice of sauces, too? All of them are better than the
> place up the street anyway.

What sauce? The Hearty Marinara? What place up the street?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#269329 - 11/23/11 01:00 AM

> Domino's used to have decent pizza. When they started selling there new recipe, they
> went backward. I wish they offered a choice between the classic recipe and the new,
> shitty one.

Domino's here may or may not have anything to do with your local Domino's, but FWIW I remember enjoying a Domino's pizza in the '90s, then not eating one for years, and then finding them disgusting from 2005 onwards. Your story about a shit new recipe fits my experience.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#269330 - 11/23/11 01:50 AM

> Domino's here may or may not have anything to do with your local Domino's, but FWIW I
> remember enjoying a Domino's pizza in the '90s, then not eating one for years, and
> then finding them disgusting from 2005 onwards. Your story about a shit new recipe
> fits my experience.

From what I remember, Domino's Pizza came to my area around 1985. I tried Domino's and I thought it was very good at that time. I didn't get it very often, so I never burned myself out on them. I don't remember what year it was but they "improved" the crust. It tasted like shit. I didn't have Domino's for years after that thinking they still served that shitty tasting crust. I tried one a few years ago and realized that at some point they changed back to the original crust. It tasted like the pizzas that I got in the 80's. Sometime in the last 2 years they decided to fuck with the original recipe. I tried the new recipe and do not like it. It's garlic and other flavors are overpowering.

Domino's have been in business selling pizza for over 50 years. It was the original recipe that gave them the success that they have enjoyed. Why would someone change what is not broken? Didn't anybody learn that when Coke changed to New Coke*? The main thing with franchises is being consistent. I think that was their biggest problem.

Consistency is certainly McDonald's problem. When Ray Kroc was still alive and running the place, the food was good. Now you get shit that is heated in plastic bins, fries that are undercooked, etc. The only thing consistent about McDonald's now is that the food is not made to order or served hot anymore. I'd rather have to wait 5 minutes than to have some hamburger that has been sitting in a plastic warming tray for God knows how long. Oh and they should fry their french fries in lard like they used to.

* Coca Cola did something very sneaky with New Coke. Everyone was so upset about not having the classic flavor that Coca Cola brought back Coca Cola Classic. Everyone was very happy. What no one realized was that the sugar was replaced with high fructose corn syrup. At least here in the USA. Now you have some people that buy Coke from Mexico so they can have The Real Thing.

BTW, sorry for highjacking Grandma Italie's crust thread!

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#269331 - 11/23/11 02:12 AM

> From what I remember, Domino's Pizza came to my area around 1985. I tried Domino's
> and I thought it was very good at that time. I didn't get it very often, so I never
> burned myself out on them. I don't remember what year it was but they "improved" the
> crust. It tasted like shit. I didn't have Domino's for years after that thinking they
> still served that shitty tasting crust. I tried one a few years ago and realized that
> at some point they changed back to the original crust. It tasted like the pizzas that
> I got in the 80's. Sometime in the last 2 years they decided to fuck with the
> original recipe. I tried the new recipe and do not like it. It's garlic and other
> flavors are overpowering.
>
Haven't had Domino's in at least 15 years. When I delivered back around '89-90 or so I got used to and enjoyed their pizza. Then they changed the recipe for the worse and I stopped eating their pizzas. I haven't tried this new recipe but maybe I will if their prices are in any way reasonable. I am prepared to hate it though.

>
> Domino's have been in business selling pizza for over 50 years. It was the original
> recipe that gave them the success that they have enjoyed. Why would someone change
> what is not broken? Didn't anybody learn that when Coke changed to New Coke*? The
> main thing with franchises is being consistent. I think that was their biggest
> problem.
>
> Consistency is certainly McDonald's problem. When Ray Kroc was still alive and
> running the place, the food was good. Now you get shit that is heated in plastic
> bins, fries that are undercooked, etc. The only thing consistent about McDonald's now
> is that the food is not made to order or served hot anymore. I'd rather have to wait
> 5 minutes than to have some hamburger that has been sitting in a plastic warming tray
> for God knows how long. Oh and they should fry their french fries in lard like they
> used to.
>
The enviro-health nuts won't allow them to go back to lard unfortunately.

>
> * Coca Cola did something very sneaky with New Coke. Everyone was so upset about not
> having the classic flavor that Coca Cola brought back Coca Cola Classic. Everyone was
> very happy. What no one realized was that the sugar was replaced with high fructose
> corn syrup. At least here in the USA. Now you have some people that buy Coke from
> Mexico so they can have The Real Thing.
>
This is when they started using HFCS? I didn't know that. Unfortunately everyone does so it's hard getting around it. At least Pepsi is still selling their throwback version with real sugar. I don't if Dr. Pepper is still selling their heritage version, though I am still working on the ones I had to go to Ohio to buy last year since this area didn't have it. For Coke- as you say just the Mexican option, though I'm told there's a kosher version sold in Jewish stores, also with real sugar, at certain times of the year.

>
> BTW, sorry for highjacking Grandma Italie's crust thread!

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#269335 - 11/23/11 02:43 AM

> The enviro-health nuts won't allow them to go back to lard unfortunately.

If people did not eat french fries every day, it wouldn't be a problem.

> This is when they started using HFCS? I didn't know that. Unfortunately everyone does
> so it's hard getting around it. At least Pepsi is still selling their throwback
> version with real sugar. I don't if Dr. Pepper is still selling their heritage
> version, though I am still working on the ones I had to go to Ohio to buy last year
> since this area didn't have it. For Coke- as you say just the Mexican option, though
> I'm told there's a kosher version sold in Jewish stores, also with real sugar, at
> certain times of the year.

I've read about the Kosher Coke. I forgot about that. To me, Pepsi Throwback doesn't taste like it did when I was a kid. I tried a bottle of Mexican Coke and it did tastle like it used to. Maybe the Pepsi TB didn't taste right because it isn't in the 16oz. returnable bottles. I think Dr. Pepper made in Waco, Texas is still made with real sugar. I'm not 100% sure of that though.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#269342 - 11/23/11 03:37 AM

> > What, you want me to list the choice of sauces, too? All of them are better than
> the
> > place up the street anyway.
>
> What sauce? The Hearty Marinara? What place up the street?

Also BBQ and White.

Any place up the street that tells you "you've tried the rest, now try the best."

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#269363 - 11/23/11 07:03 AM

> Yeah, so? Their old hand tossed was much better then "Hand Tossed: Our
> garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste."
> I know you can order without the "garlic-seasoned crust with a rich, buttery taste",
> but they changed the sauce. It now tastes like shit.

My wife likes that garlic seasoning stuff they put on the crust. I could take it or leave it, but I'm disturbed that, from the overspray pattern on the box, it appears they apply it with some sort of industrial spray gun.

> Instead, I'll just go to Little
> Caesars and buy their $5 pizza. It's pretty good when fresh, but doesn't reheat worth
> a damn.

I used to like Little Caesar's back in the day, then they all closed up. They reopened one not too far from me recently. We tried it and it was meh. Not sure if it got worse, or if my memory of it is just better than it really was.

> I would go to Pizza Hut once in a while, but the one in our town sucks.

Pizza Hut pizza always seemed kind of weird to me. It may just be that I've only been there a few times, there weren't really any around here until the early '90s. I think most of them have closed in the last few years.

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

#269419 - 11/24/11 01:44 AM

> I've read about the Kosher Coke. I forgot about that. To me, Pepsi Throwback doesn't
> taste like it did when I was a kid. I tried a bottle of Mexican Coke and it did
> tastle like it used to. Maybe the Pepsi TB didn't taste right because it isn't in the
> 16oz. returnable bottles. I think Dr. Pepper made in Waco, Texas is still made with
> real sugar. I'm not 100% sure of that though.
Yeah Dublin Dr. Pepper has real sugar in it.

I just wish they sold Dr. Pepper here in Australia, at one point I used to practically live on the stuff (I would be going through a couple bottles a day at one point). You can still find it but its specially imported by various small entities and costs a fortune.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#269425 - 11/24/11 03:29 AM

Do they sell Mr Pibb? It is very close.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: DMala]
#269433 - 11/24/11 04:36 AM

> Pizza Hut pizza always seemed kind of weird to me. It may just be that I've only been
> there a few times, there weren't really any around here until the early '90s. I think
> most of them have closed in the last few years.

It's the cheese. They use the strangest cheese.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#269435 - 11/24/11 04:48 AM

> So it's a thin crackery crust? That's what I'm looking for. I've tried a couple of
> recipes that I've found on the online but didn't have much luck with them coming out
> as good as I wanted. The last one I tried had good flavor, but I needed a dough
> sheeter to get it to the right thickness. In other words, I didn't have enough ass to
> roll it thin enough (I really do have enough ass, but just couldn't get it thin
> enough). I told my daughter that if I use that recipe again, I will get two pieces of
> Masonite and sandwich the doughball in between. I will then back the car over it to
> "roll" it out! Actually, I will just cut back on flour next time.

It's more of a pretzel-full on cracker crust thin stuff, that is a pain in the rear to do without a press.

> If your looking for an easy sweet and tangy sauce recipe, here's mine...
>
>
> Redk9258's Sweet and Tangy Pizza Sauce...
>
> Single batch (2-3 12" pizzas):
> --------------------------
> 6 oz. Tomato Paste (canned - Contadina)
> 6 oz. Water
> 1 TBL. Sugar
> 1/2 tsp. Dry Basil Leaves
> 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
> 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
> 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
> 1/4 tsp. Salt
>

If I'm making my own sauce, I often use a similar recipe. A few more spices and fresh pressed tomatoes if they are in season, but Contadina does make some decent paste and sauce. I can't do dry basil though, ever. Just a thing with me, MUST be freshly chopped.

> By the way, I mostly use Provel cheese. It is a blend of Swiss, Provolone and White
> Cheddar. It is a St. Louis thing that most, but not all, people from St. Louis love.
> Most people not from the area hate it. I find it very addictive. I has kind of a
> salty taste that goes very well with sweet sauce. We buy it in 5# blocks on "The
> Hill". It is less than half the price of buying it in a grocery store.

I think I've had it once, liked it if I'm remembering right. I play around with cheese blends a little, but everything I make starts with a provolone and mozzarella base. Lasagna, pizza, twice baked pasta...all of them get the same treatment. It's a very neutral yet tasty starting point that blends well with small amounts of anything else.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#269444 - 11/24/11 05:50 AM

> Do they sell Mr Pibb? It is very close.

Used to love Mr. Pibb as a kid. Doesn't really seem to be sold west of the Mississippi except in specialty stores (SoCal soft drink afficionados should check out Galco's in Highland Park. Ass-to-mouth awful website, but a very cool place).

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: jeremymtc]
#269451 - 11/24/11 09:01 AM

> Used to love Mr. Pibb as a kid. Doesn't really seem to be sold west of the
> Mississippi except in specialty stores....

You're shittin' me. I figured since it was produced by Coca Cola, it was worldwide.

I remember when I was young drinking Fanta root beer. Coke owns Fanta. I see Fanta Orange, but no Fanta root beer. Coke distributes Barq's root beer around here. Fanta was better. No rootbeer is better than Dog 'n' Suds though!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#269464 - 11/24/11 04:32 PM

> > Used to love Mr. Pibb as a kid. Doesn't really seem to be sold west of the
> > Mississippi except in specialty stores....
>
> You're shittin' me. I figured since it was produced by Coca Cola, it was worldwide.
>
> I remember when I was young drinking Fanta root beer. Coke owns Fanta. I see Fanta
> Orange, but no Fanta root beer. Coke distributes Barq's root beer around here. Fanta
> was better. No rootbeer is better than Dog 'n' Suds though!

When Fanta got a reboot a decade or so back, it was done by Coke's rolling their Welch's (I think) sodas into the Fanta brand, so they're pretty much all fruit and not at all the old Fanta.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#269476 - 11/24/11 07:59 PM

> I remember when I was young drinking Fanta root beer. Coke owns Fanta. I see Fanta
> Orange, but no Fanta root beer. Coke distributes Barq's root beer around here. Fanta
> was better. No rootbeer is better than Dog 'n' Suds though!

I bought some Dog 'n' Suds brand soda from Walgreens about a year ago. Not the rootbeer though as they didn't have it, rather an orange creme and... cherry creme I think? Not very memorable. It seems they have unusual drinks there from time to time- I also bought some Jelly Belly brand pop.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#269478 - 11/24/11 08:04 PM

> > I remember when I was young drinking Fanta root beer. Coke owns Fanta. I see Fanta
> > Orange, but no Fanta root beer. Coke distributes Barq's root beer around here.
> Fanta
> > was better. No rootbeer is better than Dog 'n' Suds though!
>
> I bought some Dog 'n' Suds brand soda from Walgreens about a year ago. Not the
> rootbeer though as they didn't have it, rather an orange creme and... cherry creme I
> think? Not very memorable. It seems they have unusual drinks there from time to time-
> I also bought some Jelly Belly brand pop.

The Walgreens stuff just doesn't do it justice. Real Dog 'n Suds from an actual location was to die for.

http://drive-ins.dog-n-suds.com/plugins/dns_locations/dns_locations.php

It looks like they distribute bottles as well, not sure of the taste...

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#269480 - 11/24/11 08:22 PM

> The Walgreens stuff just doesn't do it justice. Real Dog 'n Suds from an actual
> location was to die for.
>
> http://drive-ins.dog-n-suds.com/plugins/dns_locations/dns_locations.php
>
> It looks like they distribute bottles as well, not sure of the taste...

Huh. I knew about the ones north of me growing up (My cousin lived in Ingleside) but I didn't know they were still open. I may have to make a detour next time I head toward Antioch.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#269483 - 11/24/11 08:54 PM

> > The Walgreens stuff just doesn't do it justice. Real Dog 'n Suds from an actual
> > location was to die for.
> >
> > http://drive-ins.dog-n-suds.com/plugins/dns_locations/dns_locations.php
> >
> > It looks like they distribute bottles as well, not sure of the taste...
>
> Huh. I knew about the ones north of me growing up (My cousin lived in Ingleside) but
> I didn't know they were still open. I may have to make a detour next time I head
> toward Antioch.

I was surprised to see so many open as well. I haven't been to one in years, turns out there is a place open just north of me as well..

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#269486 - 11/24/11 09:17 PM

> ...and I've finally stumbled upon my own recipe. This is genius, I can' believe it
> hadn't occurred to me until now. Pizza party, my house. Prepare to have an orgasm in
> your mouth.
>
>
> (still haven't figured out my grandmothers, but this is a close second)

Make sure you add the recipe to its own mame driver, since you used the word "emulation."

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#269488 - 11/24/11 09:22 PM

One of my friends and I took a 2 hour trip (each way) one day to Cherokee Pass, MO to Dog 'n' Suds. We ate enough food for 2 meals. The girl wanted to know where we were putting it all. I told her the I haven't had Dog 'n' Suds since the 70's so I had to make up for lost time. It was very good, just like I remembered. I took root beer home but it was kind of flat from the car ride I think.

I buy Dog 'n' Suds root beer in 32 oz. bottles from a local store sometimes. It is very good. I think it is bottled in Chicago by Clover Club Bottling Company. It probably isn't exactly the same as when you buy it at the drive in, but it is the best bottled root beer there is.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Master O]
#269491 - 11/24/11 10:13 PM

> > ...and I've finally stumbled upon my own recipe. This is genius, I can' believe it
> > hadn't occurred to me until now. Pizza party, my house. Prepare to have an orgasm
> in
> > your mouth.
> >
> >
> > (still haven't figured out my grandmothers, but this is a close second)
>
> Make sure you add the recipe to its own mame driver, since you used the word
> "emulation."

Still waiting for RB to add pepperoni.c. He's been working on that one for way too long...

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

#269498 - 11/24/11 11:12 PM

> Still waiting for RB to add pepperoni.c

Well, everyone was busy trying to figure out what was wrong with the colors in mcnugget. (Turns out they were correct after all.)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#269510 - 11/25/11 05:16 AM

> Still waiting for RB to add pepperoni.c. He's been working on that one for way too
> long...

I sense an inside joke...

Explain?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

#269524 - 11/25/11 08:51 AM

Nope, they dont sell that either.
The only decent soft drink I can buy around here is Coca-Cola (especially when I want something to fuel a late-into-the-night coding session . And thankfully here in oz we get the GOOD stuff made with SUGAR and not that HFCS crap.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Master O]
#269531 - 11/25/11 12:08 PM

> > Still waiting for RB to add pepperoni.c. He's been working on that one for way too
> > long...
>
> I sense an inside joke...
>
> Explain?

It's as if someone asked me if I was going to add Mac LC575 to MESS, and I said I was still waiting for RB to add MEMCjr video hardware emulation. Because I know someone else is working on emulation of a critical component of the system, I'm waiting for them to complete it before I add a system that depends on it. (That was just an example for the sake of an example - I am not in any way working on LC575 emulation, and I have no idea if or when RB will work on MEMCjr video - for all I know he could already have it working.)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#269532 - 11/25/11 12:10 PM

> I just wish they sold Dr. Pepper here in Australia, at one point I used to
> practically live on the stuff (I would be going through a couple bottles a day at one
> point). You can still find it but its specially imported by various small entities
> and costs a fortune.

The local Dr Pepper they used to sell was made with sugar and was caffeine-free. The imported Dr Pepper is often the US HFCS/added caffeine variant. It doesn't taste the same, and it has different effects.

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

#269537 - 11/25/11 04:43 PM

I didn't know the local stuff was caffeine free.
As for the imported stuff, some places sell the Dublin Dr. Pepper stuff with real cane sugar. David Jones for one seems to have the Dublin stuff in their food sections reasonably often. USA Foods also stocks the Dublin stuff.

Edited by jonwil (11/25/11 04:45 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#269542 - 11/25/11 06:43 PM

> > > I remember when I was young drinking Fanta root beer. Coke owns Fanta. I see
> Fanta
> > > Orange, but no Fanta root beer. Coke distributes Barq's root beer around here.
> > Fanta
> > > was better. No rootbeer is better than Dog 'n' Suds though!
> >
> > I bought some Dog 'n' Suds brand soda from Walgreens about a year ago. Not the
> > rootbeer though as they didn't have it, rather an orange creme and... cherry creme
> I
> > think? Not very memorable. It seems they have unusual drinks there from time to
> time-
> > I also bought some Jelly Belly brand pop.
>
> The Walgreens stuff just doesn't do it justice. Real Dog 'n Suds from an actual
> location was to die for.
>
> http://drive-ins.dog-n-suds.com/plugins/dns_locations/dns_locations.php
>
> It looks like they distribute bottles as well, not sure of the taste...

Thanks boys, been looking for a good root beer beyond Stewarts', IBC and A&W...

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: It took 13 years of attempting to emulate my grandmothers pizza crust... new [Re: Stiletto]
#269544 - 11/25/11 07:27 PM

I like IBC Root Beer.
A&W Root Beer is OK at from the tap at the A&W restaurants. Not so good from can / bottle to me.
I cannot remember if I've had Stewart's Root Beer. I think they sell it a Cracker Barrel.

How about Dad's Root Beer? Not bad stuff.
How about Frostie Root Beer ?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Just had some Dog 'n Suds from the plastic bottle... new [Re: Stiletto]
#269607 - 11/26/11 07:28 PM

> > > I bought some Dog 'n' Suds brand soda from Walgreens about a year ago. Not the
> > > rootbeer though as they didn't have it, rather an orange creme and... cherry
> creme
> > I
> > > think? Not very memorable. It seems they have unusual drinks there from time to
> > time-
> > > I also bought some Jelly Belly brand pop.
> >
> > The Walgreens stuff just doesn't do it justice. Real Dog 'n Suds from an actual
> > location was to die for.
> >
> > http://drive-ins.dog-n-suds.com/plugins/dns_locations/dns_locations.php
> >
> > It looks like they distribute bottles as well, not sure of the taste...
>
> Thanks boys, been looking for a good root beer beyond Stewarts', IBC and A&W...
>
> - Stiletto

Made by Clover Club. Definitely not the same as the location, but decent. Smooth, sweet. Kinda reminds me of Hires. Would certainly taste better from a bottle.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3558