Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Ok, men. Huddle up.
#269807 - 11/29/11 03:25 AM

If you're like me, you struggle every year to think of a decent Christmas present for the Misses. Me, I get a triple whammy, her birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas all bam-bam-bam right in a row.

So, post some chick-pleasing present ideas right here. We men need to get each other's backs.

I'll start with past gift ideas I've had, and how they went over.

Clothes: no point. Her taste is too unpredictable, may as well be a gift card.
Jewelry: always a hit, what woman doesn't love bling, but is a predictable gift.
Any bath/perfume related thing: works like jewelry but likewise also lacks imagination.
Spa gift certificate: appreciated at gift time, but then sat in a drawer until expired.
Concert tickets: brought tears of joy upon receipt.
Christmas ornament: one step up from a blender, it turns out. No decorations for gifts.

This year I'm at a total loss for ideas... what have you tried that worked (or sez, what do women wish their men would get for them)?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

A broom... new [Re: GatKong]
#269808 - 11/29/11 03:48 AM

... a straw one like the Wicked Witch of the West flew.

Brian_hoffman
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/30/08
Send PM

Re: Ok, men. Huddle up. new [Re: GatKong]
#269809 - 11/29/11 04:03 AM

Nook Color: Wife loves it.

Starbucks Gift Card: Wife feels guilty spending the money, this way its already spent and she appreciates it.

Favortate TV show series on DVD: My wife loves Dexter.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#269813 - 11/29/11 04:39 AM

Do this it works every time.

Ask...

They answer 'oh just get me whatever' or 'I dont know' you answer with "oh OK [insert crazy non gift here] it is then". You will get a list of ideas...

Works on everyone.

If they persist with "I dont know" get the crazy gift. It will be the last time they answer with it.

My wife loves adventure games. Which are slim pickings these days... Though I think she is making a list

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

luv this thread <nt> REply again when the missus isn't 'round new [Re: GatKong]
#269820 - 11/29/11 05:41 AM

> If you're like me, you struggle every year to think of a decent Christmas present for
> the Misses. Me, I get a triple whammy, her birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas
> all bam-bam-bam right in a row.
>
> So, post some chick-pleasing present ideas right here. We men need to get each
> other's backs.
>
> I'll start with past gift ideas I've had, and how they went over.
>
> Clothes: no point. Her taste is too unpredictable, may as well be a gift card.
> Jewelry: always a hit, what woman doesn't love bling, but is a predictable gift.
> Any bath/perfume related thing: works like jewelry but likewise also lacks
> imagination.
> Spa gift certificate: appreciated at gift time, but then sat in a drawer until
> expired.
> Concert tickets: brought tears of joy upon receipt.
> Christmas ornament: one step up from a blender, it turns out. No decorations for
> gifts.
>
> This year I'm at a total loss for ideas... what have you tried that worked (or sez,
> what do women wish their men would get for them)?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Well... new [Re: GatKong]
#269825 - 11/29/11 06:20 AM

I'm not married, and right now I am single... but in the past:

- Went out to a "First Friday" artsy event in the downtown in, like, September, all the galleries and such open up late and have some free wine/fruit/cheese/chocolate/etc. We nose around through several of such, listen to the street musicians, and venture into some shops we've never been in. Buy a few pieces of candy and that's the night: a memorably good date night.

A few months later, I return alone and:
- buy one of the artsy photos she likes (reminded her of a pet)
- girly lavender-scented heat wrap at the one boutique we ventured into
- and buy some of the soft caramels she liked.

It's more the fact that I remembered months afterward what she liked of that night that made it a good gift.

Admittedly: buying for a girlfriend is different.

- Stiletto

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Define the chick? new [Re: GatKong]
#269831 - 11/29/11 07:19 AM

Why is it men consider themselves geeks, jocks, rednecks, motorheads, hunters, sports fans, musicians, etc, etc, etc but a woman is always just a woman. "What do women like?"

Simple answer; depends on the woman. If you don't know what your wife likes by now you're fucked. Don't look for help here, these guys are more clueless about her than you are.

I mean, good luck!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#269833 - 11/29/11 07:32 AM

> If you're like me, you struggle every year to think of a decent Christmas present for
> the Misses. Me, I get a triple whammy, her birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas
> all bam-bam-bam right in a row.
>
> So, post some chick-pleasing present ideas right here. We men need to get each
> other's backs.
>
> I'll start with past gift ideas I've had, and how they went over.
>
> Clothes: no point. Her taste is too unpredictable, may as well be a gift card.
> Jewelry: always a hit, what woman doesn't love bling, but is a predictable gift.
> imagination.
> Spa gift certificate: appreciated at gift time, but then sat in a drawer until
> expired.
> Concert tickets: brought tears of joy upon receipt.
> Christmas ornament: one step up from a blender, it turns out. No decorations for
> gifts.
>
> This year I'm at a total loss for ideas... what have you tried that worked (or sez,
> what do women wish their men would get for them)?

I wish I could help, but I am the worst gift giver in history. I mean well, I really, really try, but it always goes horribly wrong. Even worse, my wife is both awesome at picking out gifts and incredibly fickle, so I invariably end up feeling like an asshole on Christmas morning, sitting next to my pile of cool gifts while she pretends not to be disappointed.

Fortunately, I'm totally off the hook this year. She just bought herself a 64GB iPhone 4S, and the deal was that it counts as both anniversary and Christmas present this year. So a few stocking stuffers and I'm good to go. Even I can manage not to screw that up. I hope.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#269846 - 11/29/11 12:14 PM

cookbooks work pretty well - even if she doesn't cook anything from them, she likes having a large collection covering a variety of cuisines

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

There's an app for that! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#269848 - 11/29/11 02:41 PM

How to cook everything.

Pretty much a fancy e-book.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

#269857 - 11/29/11 04:25 PM

How about this? Make up some coupons for some of her favorite things to do (spa, shopping, etc) and then give them to her to use throughout the year. Does she enjoy back rubs, foot rubs, etc? Music?

Now forgive me while I go and kill a bear with a nerf gun to get my 'man card' back after thinking of all this fruffy stuff.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Define the chick? new [Re: aavada]
#269865 - 11/29/11 05:33 PM

> Why is it men consider themselves geeks, jocks, rednecks, motorheads, hunters, sports
> fans, musicians, etc, etc, etc but a woman is always just a woman. "What do women
> like?"
>
> Simple answer; depends on the woman. If you don't know what your wife likes by now
> you're fucked. Don't look for help here, these guys are more clueless about her than
> you are.

I will speak for the entirety of men admitting our clueless nature. That said, I'm sure there are ideas to share that can be tailored to a specific missus...

//I'd get you a knitted Q-bert sweater.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#269868 - 11/29/11 05:44 PM

Each year for Christmas for my wife, I take the year's worth of videos and pictures my wife and I took at put them on DVD discs for us to watch on Christmas day. I usually make a couple of montage videos set to music as "bonus" material on the last disc. Every year when I ask my wife what she'd like for Christmas, she always answers that she wants the family movies again.

It's kind of time consuming to make, but it's always a great gift as we watch to remember everything that's happened over the last 12 months.

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#269870 - 11/29/11 06:13 PM

> imagination.

Just to show you, these two are old ideas which can be bright new. Jewelry? Use your imagination. Did your woman liked the LOTR movies? Here:
http://www.wbshop.com/The-Lord-of-the-Ri...gid=lotrjewelry
http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.stor...OTRHolidayGuide

Same old stuff, but original. I like specially the elven leaf brooch for my lady, although it goes a bit off my budget. Just a sample of how an old gift could be original.

And about bath/perfume related stuff... There's plenty of original ideas, but the one I like the most for a first time is chocolate. Look here under the bath section:
http://www.facts-about-chocolate.com/chocolate-gift-ideas.html

I have a friend who got a complete set of bath chocolate stuff and she was smiling for weeks.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Amen (nt) new [Re: aavada]
#269871 - 11/29/11 06:16 PM

> Why is it men consider themselves geeks, jocks, rednecks, motorheads, hunters, sports
> fans, musicians, etc, etc, etc but a woman is always just a woman. "What do women
> like?"
>
> Simple answer; depends on the woman. If you don't know what your wife likes by now
> you're fucked. Don't look for help here, these guys are more clueless about her than
> you are.
>
> I mean, good luck!

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Ok, men. Huddle up. new [Re: Pi]
#269877 - 11/29/11 07:36 PM

>Did your woman liked the LOTR movies? Here:

I bought her a Lord Of The Rings 'One Ring' and some old man threw it in the fireplace, where it melted and was ruined. NOT doing that again.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#269879 - 11/29/11 07:55 PM

Plan a trip somewhere for the two of you. Mrs. Gor loves a surprise night away from home.

Buy some sexy-time clothing. I know Mrs. Gor would enjoy this (as she's said), but I am always afraid of getting something that doesn't fit right one way or another, so I never actually try it by myself.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

#269913 - 11/30/11 01:18 AM

My wife actually wants a blender, and a new waffle iron...but I still gotta find a non-kitchen/appliance gift. After 23 Christmas' together though, it doesn't get any easier...

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#270017 - 12/01/11 07:30 AM

I hit a home run every year because I listen to what my girl says whenever we're in one of those stores she likes or browsing one of her favorite catalogs. There's ALWAYS something that she really loves and I either (a) buy it the following week/month and put it away for Christmas, or (b) make a mental note to see if she still feels the same way later in the year. This has scored HUGE points with the silk piano shawl, the art deco style lamp, the silk robe, and others. Her girlfriends are all envious 'cuz their boyfriends/husbands get them typical no-think crap like candles, clothes, etc. It's very likely that your girl raved about SOMEthing earlier in the year, you just need to remember what it was.

Brian_hoffman
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/30/08
Send PM

Its a trick! new [Re: DMala]
#270018 - 12/01/11 07:59 AM

Yes, she has the Iphone. However you will be in the dog house if you don't get her something.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

#270029 - 12/01/11 12:27 PM

For Gatinha?

An automatic mahjong table. More tears of joy.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

Maybe make something yourself? new [Re: GatKong]
#270030 - 12/01/11 12:46 PM

You seem great at DIY. So why buy something?

I have made custom-made calendars, which family and friends loved as gifts.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#270040 - 12/01/11 04:40 PM

I'm getting my wife a Kindle Fire.
Hopefully she enjoys it.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#270043 - 12/01/11 05:06 PM

I'll sit this one out.

/fml

LEVEL-4

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Ok, men. Huddle up. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#270069 - 12/01/11 11:41 PM Attachment: peeping-tom.jpg 22 KB (1 downloads)

sorry

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Its a trick! new [Re: Brian_hoffman]
#270080 - 12/02/11 04:33 AM

> Yes, she has the Iphone. However you will be in the dog house if you don't get her
> something.

Don't I know it. But the pressure's off... some chocolate, a few odds and ends, and I'm in the clear.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#270081 - 12/02/11 04:46 AM

get a pen and some paper, sit down and scrawl out how you feel about her, and how you two have grown together in your relationship. write about how all of the initial attractions to her have only strengthened and how happy and grateful you are to be with her. find a few specific things to say about her personality or habits, and roll that into an account of adoration. include thoughts about your children, and how you feel blessed. happy holidays, happy anniversary, etc etc. find a nice looking blank-inside card and hand write it inside the card.

spend money on a gift, restaurant reservation, whatever - it'll just be a secondary consideration regardless of how expensive or nice it is.

Hizzout
Send PM

Well?? new [Re: GatKong]
#271569 - 12/27/11 04:21 AM

What did you end up getting the wife for the special days?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Well?? new [Re: Hizzout]
#271572 - 12/27/11 05:08 AM

> What did you end up getting the wife for the special days?

Birthday went with a timex "personal trainer" heart monitor thingy... big hit.

Anniversary went out on a limb and skipped the romantic suggestions and went with an iPhone... big hit too!

Christmas went with a cappuccino/espresso maker... she loves her coffee.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Well?? new [Re: GatKong]
#271600 - 12/27/11 04:43 PM

Smooth. Well done

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2925