Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Question about DECO cassette artwork...
#273739 - 01/22/12 07:40 AM

Is there a reason that all of the DECO cassette clones don't use the same art as the parent? I'm assuming that they are not bootlegs. Or were some of them produced in a generic cab or actually did have some other type of unrecovered art? Or just overlooked lay files?

These are the ones I found:
Sweet Heart
Scrum Try-set 2
Rootin' Toot'n/La-Pa-Pa set
Pro Soccer-J set
Peter Pepper-set 2
Cluster Buster/Graplop-set 2
Bump & Jump

Just wondering...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Question about DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#273747 - 01/22/12 10:49 AM

> Is there a reason that all of the DECO cassette clones don't use the same art as the
> parent? I'm assuming that they are not bootlegs. Or were some of them produced in a
> generic cab or actually did have some other type of unrecovered art? Or just
> overlooked lay files?
>
> These are the ones I found:
> Sweet Heart
> Scrum Try-set 2
> Rootin' Toot'n/La-Pa-Pa set
> Pro Soccer-J set
> Peter Pepper-set 2
> Cluster Buster/Graplop-set 2
> Bump & Jump
>
> Just wondering...

Wow... never noticed that before.

Looks like it is because in the driver, decocass is listed as the parent of the parent games, but the actual parent is listed for all the clone games:

/* 27 */ GAME( 1982, cburnrub, decocass, cburnrub, decocass, decocass, ROT270, "Data East Corporation", "Burnin' Rubber (Cassette, set 1)", 0 )
/* 27 */ GAME( 1982, cburnrub2,cburnrub, cburnrub, decocass, decocass, ROT270, "Data East Corporation", "Burnin' Rubber (Cassette, set 2)", 0 )
/* 27 */ GAME( 1982, cbnj, cburnrub, cbnj, decocass, decocass, ROT270, "Data East Corporation", "Bump 'n' Jump (Cassette)", 0 )

Only way to fix it will be to make a separate artwork file for each cassette parent. That's doable.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Question about DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#273750 - 01/22/12 05:06 PM

> Looks like it is because in the driver, decocass is listed as the parent of the
> parent games, but the actual parent is listed for all the clone games:

Why would all the parent games have a generic parent? That doesn't make sense. Is there some logical reason for it in MAME?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Question about DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: krick]
#273762 - 01/22/12 07:17 PM

> > Looks like it is because in the driver, decocass is listed as the parent of the
> > parent games, but the actual parent is listed for all the clone games:
>
> Why would all the parent games have a generic parent? That doesn't make sense. Is
> there some logical reason for it in MAME?

Because of the BIOS. Neogeo, Playchoice, etc., are setup the same way.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Question about DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#273764 - 01/22/12 08:04 PM

Ah. I see.

This seems like one of those object oriented design issues... inheritance vs composition.

They shouldn't extend from a BIOS, they should contain (or use) a BIOS.

Instead of:

BIOS --> parent game --> clone game

It should be something like:

parent game (uses BIOS) --> clone game (uses BIOS)

The problem is that a BIOS is not a game, but it's treated as one in MAME so that sets can "inherit" from them as they would a parent set.

From a software design standpoint, I think that the GAME macro should have a separate parameter for a BIOS for games that require one.

The other option is to make every parent set include the BIOS ROMs, but I assume avoiding that was exactly why we ended up with the design that we currently have in MAME.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

.lay files for the missing DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#273784 - 01/23/12 12:55 AM Attachment: DECO lay files.rar 4 KB (8 downloads)

Mr.DO! - I don't exactly how you wanted to handle this. Delete this if you want to do some other way. Your forum so whatevers cool with me...

I went ahead and whipped these up for anyone who wanted them for now. For those that don't know how, you just need to copy the decocass.zip art file, delete the lay file inside of it, put in the new lay file and rename the zip to which ever lay file you put in there. This will be named after the parent rom and now the clones will open with the original artwork(if that's what you want). In the future if any more sets are added, they can be done the same way. That is unless someone re-writes things like Krick suggested (don't hold breathe because it seems to me that would be beyond a small piece of work).

Enjoy...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Question about DECO cassette artwork... new [Re: krick]
#274507 - 01/30/12 06:04 PM

> The problem is that a BIOS is not a game, but it's treated as one in MAME so that
> sets can "inherit" from them as they would a parent set.

wrong.

most bios (pc10, neogeo, megatech...) can also be run by themselves to emulate a system turned on without a game inserted. as such, is absolutely correct to treat them as games

however, this has some drawbacks when it comes to this situation with artworks...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3036