MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable.
#280269 - 03/24/12 10:00 AM

I hope Night Court holds up when I revisit that.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Blasphemy! new [Re: italie]
#280273 - 03/24/12 03:36 PM

n one of my deployments, I revisited a couple of old series, and I came to the conclusion that
1) The greatest American Hero is insufferable

And

2) Quantum Leap is still a good show by today's standards... Still loved it the second time around.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: italie]
#280276 - 03/24/12 03:53 PM

Star Trek The Next Gen holds up quite well, you just need to get past the occasional cheap visual effects. Sports Night, which I watched a few times and thought was decent when it was on, is the worst piece of shit I've ever seen now. Made me want to throw my monitor out the window. Night Court I would guess couldn't possibly hold up because of that constant dreadful ass scenery in the courthouse. Just the thought of seeing that again over and over is enough to make me not even want to try, but that show was clearly Larroquette's shining moment so I guess if you can get past staring at that scenery hour after hour... Martin stands up the same as it did back then (good for 3.5 seasons, when you see the reflection episode in the middle of the 4th season, stop watching).

Some shows you don't even need to rewatch to know you shouldn't have even watched it back in the day, like Family Ties and Growing Pains wtf.

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Blasphemy! new [Re: URherenow]
#280299 - 03/24/12 06:01 PM

> n one of my deployments, I revisited a couple of old series, and I came to the
> conclusion that
> 1) The greatest American Hero is insufferable

A friend revisited not so long ago Greatest American Hero and spend one night trying to convince me to not see it again and preserve the good memories I have of the show. It's true that certain things are left in our imperfect memory which conserves, contrary to intuition, some stuff in an endless perfect state.

OTOH, the song is still awesome.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#280303 - 03/24/12 06:27 PM

We've got a channel called Antenna TV that shows old TV shows.
http://www.antennatv.tv/shows/

Leave it to Beaver - still a great show. I never get tired of it.

Dennis the Menace - how the hell did anyone watch this? That kid is mugging for the camera like Jim Carey. I just want to choke the shit out of him.

Too Close for comfort - painful to watch now

Three's Company - about the same as I remember

The Ropers - worse than I remember. why did they even make this show?

Maude - what a total turd this show is. Did people actually enjoy this?

Good Times - better than I remember, but seriously how racially offensive is JJ Walker? I'm white and I'm offended. Also, did anyone think the character was gay when the show actually aired because he's flaming by today's standards.

All in the Family - hit and miss. Though, I can see why it's considered a classic after a good episode. Though, I don't remember so much yelling when I was a kid. Some episodes all the characters just yell at each other the entire time.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: krick]
#280304 - 03/24/12 06:34 PM

Is Three's Company good? I don't think I've ever seen an episode but Ritter in a comedy as a young womanizer sounds fun, if that is the summary.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#280309 - 03/24/12 07:02 PM

I hope STTNG holds up- I'm looking at that new blu-ray release, and I usually don't buy any DVDs (or rent for that matter, choosing the cheap way out in using my library). I enjoyed Quantum Leap, but I never could get into Bakula as captain of the Enterprise in the last of the Trek spinoff shows.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#280310 - 03/24/12 07:05 PM

> We've got a channel called Antenna TV that shows old TV shows.
> http://www.antennatv.tv/shows/
>
> Leave it to Beaver - still a great show. I never get tired of it.
>
> Dennis the Menace - how the hell did anyone watch this? That kid is mugging for the
> camera like Jim Carey. I just want to choke the shit out of him.
>
> Too Close for comfort - painful to watch now
>
> Three's Company - about the same as I remember
>
> The Ropers - worse than I remember. why did they even make this show?
>
> Maude - what a total turd this show is. Did people actually enjoy this?
>
> Good Times - better than I remember, but seriously how racially offensive is JJ
> Walker? I'm white and I'm offended. Also, did anyone think the character was gay when
> the show actually aired because he's flaming by today's standards.
>
> All in the Family - hit and miss. Though, I can see why it's considered a classic
> after a good episode. Though, I don't remember so much yelling when I was a kid. Some
> episodes all the characters just yell at each other the entire time.

We've been watching old shows on MeTV lately. My wife is completely addicted to The Bob Newhart Show. It's really pretty funny, kind of a '70s Seinfeld. We also usually end up watching That Girl, just because it's on afterward, but it hasn't held up nearly as well. The only thing at all interesting about it is to see what kind of stupid, contrived set up they go through to use the line "That girl" in the segment just before the opening credits.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#280315 - 03/24/12 07:18 PM

The Next Gen still kicks ass. You can preview them on Netflix if you want. I'm running through the whole series right now. I understand not wanting to buy DVDs anymore, it feels like a waste of money if it's not primo quality. I was never into QL and never tried the latest Star Trek series because I heard so many complaints about it. When I'm done with Next Gen I'm going to watch a couple of episodes just to give it a chance but my hopes aren't high.

Other good sci-fi shows imo are The Dead Zone and Reaper.

Edit: Honestly though I'm not sure how much HD is going to help The Next Gen. It was developed for low res. Having the already iffy effects put into HD might just make their problems more pronounced. I would just watch them on Netflix and save your money. My 2 cents.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#280317 - 03/24/12 07:52 PM

> Edit: Honestly though I'm not sure how much HD is going to help The Next Gen. It was
> developed for low res. Having the already iffy effects put into HD might just make
> their problems more pronounced. I would just watch them on Netflix and save your
> money. My 2 cents.

I hear that they are re-tooling the effects where needed. I think half of the series was filmed on decent media as well, so the latter eps are going to look nicer than the first...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#280319 - 03/24/12 07:58 PM

Ooh that sounds great. I'm too sucked in to stop now but if I hadn't started, the redos of the special effects... Fantastic. Make it so, Number One.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#280320 - 03/24/12 07:58 PM

> Is Three's Company good? I don't think I've ever seen an episode but Ritter in a
> comedy as a young womanizer sounds fun, if that is the summary.

Are you shitting me?

...and yeah, it wasn't bad sans the whole every episode was cut from the same mold thing.

Event -> Event overheard and misunderstood -> The overhearee overreacts -> Ritter pretends to be gay when the landlord butts in -> Situation resolved -> aannnnd CUT.

Ritter, Fell, and Knotts were cast well though.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#280321 - 03/24/12 08:00 PM

> Ooh that sounds great. I'm too sucked in to stop now but if I hadn't started, the
> redos of the special effects... Fantastic. Make it so, Number One.

http://hothardware.com/News/Remastered-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Bluray-A-Huge-Leap-Forward/

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#280322 - 03/24/12 08:02 PM

I've never seen it. Just heard Ritter was a big time player in real life at the time.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

#280323 - 03/24/12 08:07 PM

any news on DS9 releases on blue ray?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#280324 - 03/24/12 08:10 PM

> > Ooh that sounds great. I'm too sucked in to stop now but if I hadn't started, the
> > redos of the special effects... Fantastic. Make it so, Number One.
>
> http://hothardware.com/News/Remastered-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Bluray-A-Huge-Leap-Forward/

You dare post without pr0n?

[EDIT] There's apparently some other sample footage on YouTube now. Looks tremendous.

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#280326 - 03/24/12 08:18 PM

> I hope Night Court holds up when I revisit that.

I'll probably always have a soft spot for Quantum Leap.

- Stiletto

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#280328 - 03/24/12 08:21 PM

Ive been afraid to open up my riptide and moonlighting dvds just for that very reason...

Though b5 and married with children seem to be holding up decently.

Remington steel didnt hold up very good for me though

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Blasphemy! new [Re: URherenow]
#280329 - 03/24/12 08:37 PM

> 2) Quantum Leap is still a good show by today's standards... Still loved it the
> second time around.

The episodes I caught were horrific. I don't think I had seen either in the past. One of them he was making love to a Chinese chick and they were playing the cheesiest of cheesey music, and kept cutting to a shot of the moon. It was putrid. Love me some Bakula (even in trek), but he's constantly miss-used. He's an average nerdy every man, and they keep putting him onto romantic or heroic super situations. Just isn't him.

That said I still do have fond memories of the episodes where he throws NOS onto a station wagon, or there he writes "Peggy Sue"...

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#280337 - 03/24/12 09:00 PM

Yeah, I get those too - it's a subchannel of the local WB station. They must have gotten these shows really really cheap. I wish they'd show some cool stuff like KOJAK or MATCH GAME. Heck, even Welcome Back Kotter. But Maude and Too Close for Comfort? They need to rotate their stock!

> We've got a channel called Antenna TV that shows old TV shows.
> http://www.antennatv.tv/shows/
>
> Leave it to Beaver - still a great show. I never get tired of it.
>
> Dennis the Menace - how the hell did anyone watch this? That kid is mugging for the
> camera like Jim Carey. I just want to choke the shit out of him.
>
> Too Close for comfort - painful to watch now
>
> Three's Company - about the same as I remember
>
> The Ropers - worse than I remember. why did they even make this show?
>
> Maude - what a total turd this show is. Did people actually enjoy this?
>
> Good Times - better than I remember, but seriously how racially offensive is JJ
> Walker? I'm white and I'm offended. Also, did anyone think the character was gay when
> the show actually aired because he's flaming by today's standards.
>
> All in the Family - hit and miss. Though, I can see why it's considered a classic
> after a good episode. Though, I don't remember so much yelling when I was a kid. Some
> episodes all the characters just yell at each other the entire time.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#280354 - 03/24/12 09:20 PM

> The Next Gen still kicks ass. You can preview them on Netflix if you want. I'm
> running through the whole series right now. I understand not wanting to buy DVDs
> anymore, it feels like a waste of money if it's not primo quality. I was never into
> QL and never tried the latest Star Trek series because I heard so many complaints
> about it. When I'm done with Next Gen I'm going to watch a couple of episodes just to
> give it a chance but my hopes aren't high.
>
> Other good sci-fi shows imo are The Dead Zone and Reaper.
>
> Edit: Honestly though I'm not sure how much HD is going to help The Next Gen. It was
> developed for low res. Having the already iffy effects put into HD might just make
> their problems more pronounced. I would just watch them on Netflix and save your
> money. My 2 cents.

I haven't had Netflix in years. Right now I'm stuck paying for Directv which I no longer want but I pay for because mine is the lone voice. I can't do Netflix on top of that. Previewing it is a good idea though so I will probably Red Box it at some point to see if it's worth buying. Them redoing the FX is pretty much the big reason for my interest.

I watched Dead Zone when it was on, but I'm not familiar with Reaper.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#280355 - 03/24/12 09:24 PM

> not familiar with Reaper.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955322/

Only 2 short seasons so it's not much of a time investment. It started to jump the shark in the last couple of episodes but the vast bulk is good.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: Stiletto]
#280361 - 03/24/12 09:30 PM

> > > Ooh that sounds great. I'm too sucked in to stop now but if I hadn't started, the
> > > redos of the special effects... Fantastic. Make it so, Number One.
> >
> >
> http://hothardware.com/News/Remastered-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Bluray-A-Huge-Leap-Forward/
>
> You dare post without pr0n?
>
>
> [EDIT] There's apparently some other sample footage on YouTube now. Looks tremendous.
>
> - Stiletto

Well, that's something I'll stay away from. I don't want "3 classic episodes" of anything; all of them in order, or not at all.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#280364 - 03/24/12 09:47 PM

> > > > Ooh that sounds great. I'm too sucked in to stop now but if I hadn't started,
> the
> > > > redos of the special effects... Fantastic. Make it so, Number One.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > You dare post without pr0n?
> >
> >
> > [EDIT] There's apparently some other sample footage on YouTube now. Looks
> tremendous.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> Well, that's something I'll stay away from. I don't want "3 classic episodes" of
> anything; all of them in order, or not at all.

I saw it as a trial: if it sold successfully, then they'd put in the expense of "remastering" the rest. It's down to $9.99 on Amazon now from $29.99 at launch two months ago, soo... I dunno.

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#280366 - 03/24/12 09:48 PM

Star Trek TNG is the best period hands down. For me Voyager is a very close second place in that series.

For some reason I can sit down and watch every episode over and over again without getting tired or sick of it. They are just that damn good IMO

DS9 is third place and then the Original series is forth in my book. I haven't given the newest show Enterprise a fair chance and only have watched the first episode of that.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#280367 - 03/24/12 09:49 PM

That's just a sampler, full season 1 comes out later this year.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I don't recall Quantum Leap being this insufferable. new [Re: Reznor007]
#280377 - 03/24/12 11:10 PM

> That's just a sampler, full season 1 comes out later this year.

Yeah. I prefer my samples free.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#280396 - 03/25/12 03:21 AM

I do after watching a few episodes back in the day I gave up and could not understand why people were still watching it. I thought the initial idea was great, but then something else was missing.

Kevin Eshbach

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

I know what you mean new [Re: TriggerFin]
#280401 - 03/25/12 03:41 AM

I saw a couple of random episodes of Smallville one time on leave and thought it was the dumbest thing ever. Then one deployment, one of my people brought three seasons and I saw them in order. Once I convinced myself that it was its own thing (and to forget about what I 'knew' from movies and cartoons) I fell in love with the series. I'm currently on Season 8 for the third time

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#280409 - 03/25/12 04:39 AM

An yone ever watch Adam 12? I watched it when I was a kid and it was run on RTV for a while. I was able to watch all of them. It still holds up pretty well for being 45 years old.

Edited by redk9258 (03/25/12 04:40 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3992