Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Yes Sony, that'll go over well.
#280809 - 03/29/12 02:47 AM

"If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do," the site said. "While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/rumor-next-playstation-coming-2013-200015017.html

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: italie]
#280812 - 03/29/12 03:04 AM

I already refuse to buy a PS3 because they removed the backwards compatibility. If they do this, there will be ZERO chance that I will buy a PS4.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: krick]
#280814 - 03/29/12 03:36 AM

Sony keeps on making reasons for me NOT to buy their products.

I keep thinking the 3DS and 360 will be the last gaming systems I ever buy. Both are systems I want.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: greybeard]
#280816 - 03/29/12 03:59 AM Attachment: IMG_4955.JPG 423 KB (1 downloads)

> Sony keeps on making reasons for me NOT to buy their products.
>
> I keep thinking the 3DS and 360 will be the last gaming systems I ever buy. Both are
> systems I want.

You should buy that Neo Geo motherboard you've been going on about for, what has it been.. like 10 years now? I bet even Cha Cha is tired of looking at those dusty old King of Fighters MVS carts. Be careful that she doesn't mistake them for VHS tapes and throw them in the trash.

From a quick google, an MV1 (these are single cart slot boards - there are various models) goes for around 80 dollars used, but you can find them cheaper if you put some effort into it.

You can power it with an AT or ATX PC power supply (I've done that myself) directly at the edge connector. Some of them have separate RCA stereo sound outputs and even separate joystick ports for Neo Geo AES controllers.

Besides the controls, the only thing that's a little bit complicated is hooking it up to a modern television. Here's an elegant solution:
http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

Note that the sound outputs are amplified, so if you hook them up to the TV with a standard RCA-RCA cable you should first make sure that the volume is set low (these boards usually have a volume slider) before powering up the board, if it's too loud you can easily fry the audio inputs on your TV.

Go for it

Here's a photo of my MVH MV1T. The carrot looks a bit tired but it's probably still good.

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#280821 - 03/29/12 04:32 AM

I just got a PS3 some months back and own about 10 games now in disc form and bunches more bought off PSN.
I will never buy any used games no matter how cheap they are because I prefer scratchless flawless discs.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#280822 - 03/29/12 04:54 AM

> "If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will
> be limited in what they can do," the site said. "While our sources were unclear on
> how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used
> games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with
> consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."
>
> http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/rumor-next-playstation-coming-2013-200015017.html

I think you missed the part when Microsoft might do the same too.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/xbox-720-used-games/

No surprise for people playing on PCs. Consoles are not consoles anymore, they're PCs. They just happen to be called entertainment centers because they're into living rooms and connected to TVs.

Optical media is cheap but not very reliable, I hate them since the first Playstation. The quicker we move on to digital distribution the better. The cost of course is no more used games just like PCs. My concern is when everything will be moved to "the cloud", I do not want to have such dependency of the Internet in order to play.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#280823 - 03/29/12 05:00 AM

This is already happening with DLC cards with single user/use codes on games on the X360 so I don't see how this is any different. You see them sold as with or without the DLC card code being used already. The obvious way to avoid it is have everything be downloaded. I thought it was a given that the next gen would be that way, guess not. Discs have never been too cool in my book anyway. Carts were where it's at. Sick new piece of fresh hardware in your hands, that was where it's at.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#280826 - 03/29/12 06:07 AM

The same rumor was talked about last month on some gaming sites only regarding the new Xbox.I cant really see this being true,and Im pretty sure if 2 of the big 3 do end doing this,im 100% sure the third wont follow.

Anyways,I cant believe some developers complain about used games.I have discovered so many franchises I would not have played if it was not for me getting the first in a series a year after its release,used.Then I buy the sequels @ full price when they are released.
Second hands goods have been around as long as business has,why should the gaming industry be the exception?

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#280827 - 03/29/12 06:10 AM

Complete DD would be terrible,IMO.You no longer actually own your games.Plus what about bandwith caps? Are you tell me I cant buy a game when I want cause Ive reached my monthly limit?

What about all the people who dont have broadband,or internet at all? How about collectors? You wont be able to let a friend borrow a game anymore.No more redbox,or gamefly,or being able to try out a game before dropping $60 on it.Whats next,dvd\bluray players that will not play a rented\borrowed movie anymore?
No,there are far more cons then pros to 100% DD

Also,dont expect the savings they save from production costs to be passed on to us,that would be the day!

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: mesk]
#280828 - 03/29/12 06:10 AM

A lot of gamers buy new games by trading in old ones, if they can't get anything out of games they buy, how many more will they buy?

I can leave gaming at this point and just focus on what I own, not including emulation, I'm sure I'm not alone.

I won't buy consoles or portables that block used games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#280831 - 03/29/12 06:30 AM

> Complete DD would be terrible,IMO.You no longer actually own your games.Plus what
> about bandwith caps? Are you tell me I cant buy a game when I want cause Ive reached
> my monthly limit?
>
> What about all the people who dont have broadband,or internet at all? How about
> collectors? You wont be able to let a friend borrow a game anymore.No more redbox,or
> gamefly,or being able to try out a game before dropping $60 on it.Whats
> next,dvd\bluray players that will not play a rented\borrowed movie anymore?
> No,there are far more cons then pros to 100% DD

That's the real shame of it, there won't be any more retrogaming. A NES game works just as well today as it did in 1985. With digital distribution and restrictions on used games, you won't be able to say the same for the current crop of games in 30 years. It's happening already... I was a beta tester for and a big fan of Motor City Online. Once they killed the servers, my disc was a coaster and the game is just gone.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: DMala]
#280833 - 03/29/12 07:07 AM

Just look @ Batman Arkahm City.You need a online pass code to be able to play as Catwoman.Ok,so in 15-20 years,when you cant get a new copy,and the online pass was removed from the server years before,you have a incomplete game.

When I buy a used copy of Street Fighter 2 for SNES,all the characters are on the cart.Not so with the new Mortal Kombat(or SF4,for that matter).In the future,unless you happen to be lucky and still have the data, (and it hasnt been corrupted) you will have a game with a incomplete roster.

But yeah,will the 360\PS3\Wii be the last retro gaming consoles someday?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#280842 - 03/29/12 09:40 AM

> Complete DD would be terrible,IMO.You no longer actually own your games.Plus what
> about bandwith caps? Are you tell me I cant buy a game when I want cause Ive reached
> my monthly limit?
>

It's been like that since this generation, you no longer own the games. It's not a product anymore but a service. Most users have a monthly 250GB (or more) download limit, as speed increases limits too. I don't see that as a problem, if you do then you need to cap your torrents or change your cheap ISP. Says the guy with a 2M connection and no download limits.

> What about all the people who dont have broadband,or internet at all? How about
> collectors? You wont be able to let a friend borrow a game anymore.No more redbox,or
> gamefly,or being able to try out a game before dropping $60 on it.Whats
> next,dvd\bluray players that will not play a rented\borrowed movie anymore?
> No,there are far more cons then pros to 100% DD

That's precisely what it won't let games depend on internet at all (and the reason for 'Game of the year' editions). I have yet to meet someone without access to Internet. Without Internet at home sure, but without Internet access it gets harder.

> Also,dont expect the savings they save from production costs to be passed on to
> us,that would be the day!

I agree with that, however without digital distribution (legal or illegal) there wouldn't be retrogaming at all. See those NEOGEO MVS cartridge betas owned by collectors that won't see the light again? well that's how retro gaming in general ends for everyone. Let alone any current product hoarded by collectors and with lower availability existence.

If games disappear because servers are taken down, the blame will not be for online DRMs or digital distribution (so far and for the reasons mentioned before they're solved in some form or another). The blame is from online gaming and its cheap/disposable service business.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#280843 - 03/29/12 12:19 PM

And for the guys like me who cant afford 40 quid per game? Great... They want more of my money which I don't have.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: krick]
#280862 - 03/29/12 05:24 PM

> I already refuse to buy a PS3 because they removed the backwards compatibility. If
> they do this, there will be ZERO chance that I will buy a PS4.

I never understood the whole "backwards compatibility" argument. If you want to play the old games, just keep the old system. I remember back when the SNES came out people would ask if it was NES compatible. Then again, a lot of people would sell their NES systems and games in order to buy the SNES so compatibility wouldn't matter to them anyways.

Besides, PS3 is still PS1 backwards compatible but PS1 graphics resolution SUCKS! So what is the point.

Once you start playing a new system, the older systems just tend to sit and collect dust.

I have a PS2 slim and over 100 games for it. I just got a PS3 last summer and have about 30 games. I haven't really touched the PS2 much at all the past 9 months. And on the PS3, I've mostly been playing Fallout3 and Fallout:New Vegas. I barely started Skyrim and haven't touched Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption just to name a few titles.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: B2K24]
#280863 - 03/29/12 05:32 PM

Thats BS to say all preowned games are damaged.Ive gotten many preowned games that are pretty much brand new,not a scratch on them.You dont have to take the first copy the employee grabs you,you can ask for a different one if you wish

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: PokeMAME]
#280864 - 03/29/12 05:37 PM

A surprisingly silly post to show up on a retrogaming forum. You can't understand why someone would want to play an old game with inferior resolution? You really just went there? Can't understand why someone wouldn't want the extra clutter from multiple clunky old systems? Can't fathom why someone could have a favorite series of games and want the entire series playable on their current console? Can't imagine other gamers with different habits than you?

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#280865 - 03/29/12 05:48 PM

How about the fact when you buy a new system you won't have many games to play? People paid $600 for a PS3 that needed $60 games, exactly how many $60 games could you buy after shelling out $600 for the system?

I "progressed" from the PSX to PS2, the Gamecube to Wii, the GBA to DS, backwards compatibility makes transitioning easier.

There are people who upgrade smart phones and get to keep all their digital games and that keeps them loyal to a brand, plus they get trade in credit on older phones. Imagine how many people would be more loyal to a console / portable if that were the case. That's one reason why I want a 3DS and NOT a Vita.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

#280872 - 03/29/12 06:15 PM

> A surprisingly silly post to show up on a retrogaming forum. You can't understand why
> someone would want to play an old game with inferior resolution? You really just went
> there? Can't understand why someone wouldn't want the extra clutter from multiple
> clunky old systems? Can't fathom why someone could have a favorite series of games
> and want the entire series playable on their current console? Can't imagine other
> gamers with different habits than you?

No, what I am saying is that LACK of backwards compatibility is NOT a good reason to not buy a system!!!!!!!!!!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#280873 - 03/29/12 06:18 PM

Using triple negatives won't never get you nowhere.

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Triple negatives not below 40% disapproval! (nt) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#280880 - 03/29/12 06:51 PM

> Using triple negatives won't never get you nowhere.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#280881 - 03/29/12 06:58 PM

I still play MAME more than I run my new system

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#280891 - 03/29/12 08:23 PM

> A surprisingly silly post to show up on a retrogaming forum. You can't understand why
> someone would want to play an old game with inferior resolution? You really just went
> there? Can't understand why someone wouldn't want the extra clutter from multiple
> clunky old systems? Can't fathom why someone could have a favorite series of games
> and want the entire series playable on their current console? Can't imagine other
> gamers with different habits than you?

He might have meant that the upscaling options for PS1 games aren't very good. I've heard comments about it over the years.

I like blocky graphics, but you try playing a 1024x768 on a 1920x1080 monitor. It'll look like crap.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

#280897 - 03/29/12 09:31 PM

> Using triple negatives won't never get you nowhere.

Fine, I will no longer argue non-points no more! :P

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

this will just increase piracy new [Re: italie]
#280908 - 03/29/12 11:01 PM

> "If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will
> be limited in what they can do," the site said. "While our sources were unclear on
> how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used
> games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with
> consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."
>
> http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/rumor-next-playstation-coming-2013-200015017.html

thats my plan anyway.

It all started with Pay to Play servers. Good grief, who would pay month after month just to play the same game? Lots of people. (My old boss was a WOW addict, She would go on and on about her guild, and characters, and raids, until I wanted to stab myself in the ear. I’m like “Do you play any other games”? And she’s like “why?” wtf?) Then consoles came out with a monthly subscription plans so you can have a “premium” service, and people ate that shit up. Remember when DLC was free? Now we have developers holding back content on games just so they can nickel and dime you down the road. I don’t mind buying new if the price is fair, and the game is good. But I find myself waiting for GOTY additions more and more, just to keep from feeling like I’ve been screwed. I’ve been enjoying video games on consoles since pong. Turn one on, pop a game in, and your good to go. Simple right? How long before they want a constant internet connection and or mandatory subscription just to play on one? Why are so many people willing to put up with this?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: this will just increase piracy new [Re: Darth Mario]
#280911 - 03/29/12 11:06 PM

> How long before they want a
> constant internet connection and or mandatory subscription just to play on one?

Some games like it still exist. Assassins' Creed 2 was Internet required. Pretty certain I heard about games needing subscriptions to play

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#280914 - 03/29/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

No surprise for people playing on PCs. Consoles are not consoles anymore, they're PCs. They just happen to be called entertainment centers because they're into living rooms and connected to TVs.

Consoles were fun at the time. But computers have all the games. That and there's a lot of things you can do with a computer versus a console. And you're right: Today's consoles are nothing more that computers lacking some key input devices.

And emulation thanks to numerous hardware hackers out there means that computers will be able to preserve all and play all. Throw in distributed computing and networking and it all becomes one global oldskool gaming preservation community.

Now if more people actually knew how their gear worked and what it was capable of then the world will be much more interesting.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Yes Sony, that'll go over well. new [Re: B2K24]
#280977 - 03/30/12 05:10 PM

Even then with this gen they are already messing us over. There are games that ship that are incomplete day one. How many of those games did you pop in and they 'updated'.

For example burnout paradise city. They had about years worth of upgrades (which was cool). However that stuff is not on the disc. It came from some server somewhere. I snagged a PC ver of that same game and it had most of the content and STILL downloaded some stuff. Then there are whole sections of that game you can not get unless you do it over the internet.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2607