Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

And the lady will have a Coke, no ice.
#282047 - 04/10/12 06:50 PM

My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke with no ice.

LOL!

Times have changed since the 80's eh?

So I explained... back in the 80's refills on soda were not free, usually only coffee got free refills.

So people would order their soda with no ice so they get more soda for their money. Sometimes a real cheapskate would even ask for a cup of ice on the side.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: GatKong]
#282049 - 04/10/12 07:24 PM

> My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke with no ice.
>
> LOL!
>
> Times have changed since the 80's eh?
>
> So I explained... back in the 80's refills on soda were not free, usually only coffee
> got free refills.
>
> So people would order their soda with no ice so they get more soda for their money.
> Sometimes a real cheapskate would even ask for a cup of ice on the side.

There's also this:
Fast-Food Ice Dirtier Than Toilet Water

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Gor]
#282050 - 04/10/12 07:35 PM

> There's also this:
> Fast-Food Ice Dirtier Than Toilet Water

So now when you get a cup of ice, you have to ask for one of those paper covers to put around the edge of the glass.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#282051 - 04/10/12 07:42 PM

There are still several restaurants near me that don't give "free" refills, not "franchise" restaurants, but mom and pop ones.

Of course I'm fat and trying to lose weight so I'm cutting back on the soda.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#282054 - 04/10/12 08:12 PM

A buddy of mine visited Thailand a few years ago, and upon his return I asked him his thoughts of his trip. Not getting free refills was his first complaint.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#282065 - 04/10/12 09:55 PM

> My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke...

Indeed.

LEVEL-4

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#282076 - 04/11/12 12:12 AM

> My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke with no ice.

Because Coke, unlike Pepsi, is a warm and fuzzy drink.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#282111 - 04/11/12 06:27 AM

> > My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke with no ice.
>
> Because Coke, unlike Pepsi, is a warm and fuzzy drink.

When I was young I would drink RC Cola straight from a 16 ounce glass bottle, warm!

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#282118 - 04/11/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

My son asked me why anyone would order a Coke with no ice.

Drugs. That was big within the '80s too. Sometimes you didn't have enough scratch to cop both the nose candy and the speed.

Or so I heard. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282120 - 04/11/12 07:07 AM

I used to go there (40 Watt) all the time. He must have wanted a packed house because it's fairly small and he's probably a big enough act for the GA Theatre.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#282121 - 04/11/12 07:19 AM

Quote:

I used to go there (40 Watt) all the time. He must have wanted a packed house because it's fairly small and he's probably a big enough act for the GA Theatre.

Hank III is just awesome. If I can find the time I'd like to see 'im live if he gets near Freeport, PA. I may even bootleg the show. :-)

I great place for his band would be out at Peter-B's in Sarver, PA. Big place. Damn good acoustics. Then again it's a big ol' barn turned into a hick hotspot.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#282137 - 04/11/12 03:37 PM

I saw Hank III play at a very small venue in Denver a couple years back. He must like the smaller places.

It was a rowdy crowd for sure.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#282143 - 04/11/12 05:11 PM

I order sodas with no ice all the time. But it's not to be cheap. The soda's cold enough coming out of the tap (it's not like they're pouring it out of a warm bottle); the ice just ends up watering it down.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: snake78]
#282145 - 04/11/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

I order sodas with no ice all the time. But it's not to be cheap. The soda's cold enough coming out of the tap (it's not like they're pouring it out of a warm bottle); the ice just ends up watering it down.

That's because the water line passes through the ice machine to cool it down. When the water is ice cold the syrup and CO2 is mixed together. The low temperature allows more of the gas to mix into the syrup+water mixture.

The benefit is that not much space is needed to store premixed and chilled bevvies. You have the ice machine/soda dispenser combo in the front or behind the counter and the CO2 tanks and syrup boxes (essentially bags of 5:1 syrup concentrate in cardboard boxes not unlike those boxed wines) elsewhere.

Now I know why I worked at Subway for five years. ;-)

--Bekki

Hizzout
Send PM

#282148 - 04/11/12 06:11 PM Attachment: taco-time-coke-machine-300.jpg 22 KB (2 downloads)

Quote:

The benefit is that not much space is needed to store premixed and chilled bevvies.

I'm seeing these machines sprout up in food joints more often, which on the surface looks like a good idea, but giving people many choices like this only slows things down. I had to wait forever for 2 old ladies "browsing" through all the available flavors of Fanta, only to finally decide on Coke.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Hizzout]
#282151 - 04/11/12 06:51 PM

> The benefit is that not much space is needed to store premixed and chilled bevvies.
>
> I'm seeing these machines sprout up in food joints more often, which on the surface
> looks like a good idea, but giving people many choices like this only slows things
> down. I had to wait forever for 2 old ladies "browsing" through all the available
> flavors of Fanta, only to finally decide on Coke.

That looks like poor interface design. Kill the little circles with big brand logos and small flavors. Go with big rectangles and clear text.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#282177 - 04/11/12 11:53 PM

> I'm seeing these machines sprout up in food joints more often, which on the surface
> looks like a good idea, but giving people many choices like this only slows things
> down. I had to wait forever for 2 old ladies "browsing" through all the available
> flavors of Fanta, only to finally decide on Coke.

I see "Taco Time" in the image name, and I have personally seen them at a Qdobas (dunno if all have them?) and a new(ly moved) local theater. Oh, at Universal Studios in FL too. Where else have all of you spotted them?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#282178 - 04/11/12 11:56 PM

> I see "Taco Time" in the image name, and I have personally seen them at a Qdobas
> (dunno if all have them?) and a new(ly moved) local theater. Oh, at Universal Studios
> in FL too. Where else have all of you spotted them?

Around here, I believe they're in most of the Kelly's Roast Beef locations.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#282179 - 04/12/12 12:05 AM

Qdoba, Spicy Pickle, local AMC theatre and a local mom & pop pizza place.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Wendy's <nt> new [Re: Qun Mang]
#282182 - 04/12/12 12:55 AM

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Wendy's <nt> new [Re: snake78]
#282207 - 04/12/12 04:33 AM

I wish the Wendy's stores around me had this. It is one of the places I lunch at often. Or Subway. I eat at Panda Express a lot too, but they do Pepsi, not Coke.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#282240 - 04/12/12 09:15 AM

Quote:

I'm seeing these machines sprout up in food joints more often, which on the surface looks like a good idea, but giving people many choices like this only slows things down. I had to wait forever for 2 old ladies "browsing" through all the available flavors of Fanta, only to finally decide on Coke.

As either Jamie or Adam would say, "Well there's your problem!" The PepsiCo dispensers I have worked with at not just Subway but at my employer's cafeteria have multiple spigots with the ice dispenser within the middle. Nice config.

Those who work 'em from behind the counter know that it's better to have a variety so that different sodas can be dispensed in parallel so you don't wind up with a traffic jam. The single-screen/single-spigot design is just very poor engineering just because some drooling mongoloid (an idiot, if you will) thought "ToUcHsCrEeNz Iz ShInY k-RaD" and should be everywhere.

Yeah. It's fine for MegaTouch or TouchMaster. But wow! It certainly isn't a very good way to run a democracy. What with the hacking and all. But I digress. It's my security-side showing where I begin to think like a hacker looking for exploits. ;-)

And it certainly doesn't work for self-serve bevvies.

But what's cool? Bar soda gun! Woo hoo! :-)

--Bekki

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#282294 - 04/12/12 05:05 PM

Not to mention the 'why does my coke have the faint taste of root beer?' effect.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#282320 - 04/12/12 06:58 PM

> "ToUcHsCrEeNz Iz ShInY k-RaD"

Heh, many years ago my local Taco Bell installed touchscreens so that if there was a line you could start placing your order while you were waiting. This was a HUGE mistake. Kids' brains would shut down from options overload. Nerds would give their buddies their orders in Capt Picard's voice while the order was tapped in. Rednecks would go into a rage about human jobs being given to machines. Some people acted like it would give them an electric shock if they chose poorly.

They were ripped out within two months.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: aavada]
#282349 - 04/12/12 09:30 PM

Quote:

Heh, many years ago my local Taco Bell installed touchscreens...

They're a fixture at every Sheetz I've been at within the Alle-Kiski-Pittsburgh area. I don't mind them for I do like touchscreen games and am quite adept at the interface. It's also nice on the workers preparing the orders so that they're placed within a database queue and processed sequentially.

Some people aren't hip to the technology. A friend of mine never ordered at Sheetz before and was intimidated by the choices available.

Given how the majority of adults in my generation are tech-phobic or tech-illiterate this trend will only take off as my generation dies out and replaced with a younger tech-savvy generation. That's just the rule of nature. Though, sadly, I don't have much hope if they view computing equipment as kitschy appliances and toys rather than tools for getting various jobs done.

That's not a diss at MAME or MESS, though: Digitally-based technology preservation, documentation, and archiving is the means of keeping history alive for future generations. Besides, games way back when packed more entertainment bang-per-kilobit as opposed to the overblown 3D fragfests today.

--Bekki

Peale
Green Mountain Man
Reged: 02/18/04
Loc: Brattleboro, VT
Send PM

Re: And the lady will have a Coke, no ice. new [Re: snake78]
#283196 - 04/19/12 01:06 PM

> I order sodas with no ice all the time. But it's not to be cheap. The soda's cold
> enough coming out of the tap (it's not like they're pouring it out of a warm bottle);
> the ice just ends up watering it down.

^ This.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2398