Pages: 1

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

EA to move to cloud gaming
#283739 - 04/24/12 05:06 PM

So you thought always online was bad?

I guess I won't be buying any more EA games!

New EA DRM

"
Electronic Arts’ policy of requiring its users to always be online when playing their games is going to continue but with a twist, confirmed Keith Ramsdale, the general manager of EA Northern Europe.

This new version of the always online requirement will feature the implementation of “online universes,” where the games players purchase will exist on the servers rather than on one’s computer.

Ramsdale explained the new vision for EA’s always online policy.

Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work. On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.

Here’s the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game. We’re very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content.

The new policy will be extended to all of EA’s franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, The Sims, Need for Speed, and Star Wars games, among others.

Ramsdale did not give a timeframe for this policy change.

Analysis: Gaming’s a big business now, and that means that the stakes of piracy are much higher. For example, Crysis 2, last year’s most pirated game, reported an estimated 3,920,000 pirated copies, resulting in approximately $235,200,000 of lost income. Of course, it’s difficult to aggregate what percentage of pirates are actual lost customers, but when you’re losing $235 million dollars on a game from piracy, it doesn’t really matter anymore. The fact of the matter is that, even if only 10% of pirates were actual lost customers, then you’re still losing a painful $23 million due to piracy.

Crysis 2 wasn’t an anomaly, either. In 2011, games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, FIFA 12, and Portal 2 all recorded estimate piracy levels of over 3 million copies, and it’s important to note that three of those games are titles that EA published.

So I think the message here is clear. Piracy is a real, veritable concern to any publisher releasing high-profile AAA games for the PC. Therefore, EA has a right and a business duty to be worried about piracy and to try and think of ways to fix this issue.

Now, before you all get your pitchforks and torches and storm my house saying that I’m pro-DRM, let me state for the record that I think, unequivocally, that EA’s always online policy is draconian, misguided, and repulsive. It’s a prime example of taking the wrong route of DRM; it’s punishing all of their players because of pirates rather than rewarding the paying customers for their patronage. It’s bad; it doesn’t work; it frustrates real customers; and I think that, ironically, it’s contributing to the piracy of their games rather than helping to correct the issue.

As such, when I hear of this new development in EA’s DRM policy, I can’t help but feel that this is one step forward and two steps back. On the one hand, EA is actually trying to ease the pain of the always online requirement by adding helpful and customer-positive features to it such as cross-platforming and cloud saving. However, in the process of doing this, EA not only misses the point again on why their DRM sucks, they also go in yet another completely misguided direction by taking away even more game ownership from customers. With this new policy, EA is not only continuing but expanding their practice of making customers jump through hoop after hoop to gain the content they paid for, and those who do brave the obstacles are being rewarded with less actual ownership of that content. You know what that means: customers are going to grow tired and frustrated with the draconian DRM and look to piracy to try and circumvent all the hassle. It’s a vicious cycle, isn’t it?

The fact of the matter is that you don’t “beat piracy,” and if that’s how you approach the issue, then you’re just going to frustrate everybody and get nowhere. What you really need to do is encourage people to be legitimate customers rather than pirates, and EA’s new policy most certainly does not attempt this in any shape or form.

Ultimately, I’m disheartened to hear this news. If EA keeps up the pace with their attempts to bludgeon users into buying and using the game exactly how the company wants, then I think their future with the PC market might be pretty bleak.
"

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: greybeard]
#283740 - 04/24/12 05:12 PM

EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA games.

Im still pissed that instead of trying to compete with NFL2k5,they were so intimidated by what they saw they knew they couldnt top it,so they buy the NFL license.Pussies.Madden is still trying to play catch up to 2k5

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#283745 - 04/24/12 05:53 PM

"We’re very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content."

Brands. Content. That corporate tongue needs
removal with a rusty knife. I got your content right here.

So the system doesn't work. It's heavily flawed.
Can someone write an article that offers even
one feasible alternative?
Pirated games and movies can be better than
the paid copy, since it often skips over nagging
things like ... anti-piracy spots you are forced to
watch. Oh the irony.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: mesk]
#283749 - 04/24/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA games.

EA used to have decent games back within their early days. I even didn't mind when they purchased Origin Systems. The Ultima games rocked, though I never played Ultima Online.

The most recent boxed game I bought was "Darwinia". I like it because it has a little of everything within its oldskool gameplay. Plus there's no DRM and doesn't require an Internet connection.

The current games all either look the same or just try to reinvent stuff that worked long ago ("SimCity", anyone). There's not much originality out there on the shelves. The indie developers have done far better in actually taking what works within the medium and actually creating original ideas for games which may have a foot in the past but offer much stronger storylines and play.

It's as if an Atari 2600 game offers more gameplay-per-bit than the next 3D multi-gig flash in the pan.

And it goes without saying that I'm a huge oldskool emulation fan since 1999. I'll leave the rest to your own imaginations. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#283751 - 04/24/12 07:29 PM

Yeah, EA still sucks and I don't trust them to implement this without screwing it all up, but in theory I like the idea of DRM that gives the end user some benefits. Steam is kind of the same thing, in a way. I love that fact that I can go to a brand new machine, install the Steam client, log in and pull down all of my games in a few clicks, rather than having to dig up media, install codes, etc., and then having to run through each individual install. If that happens to make life more difficult for pirates, that's fine by me.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#283752 - 04/24/12 07:32 PM

I keep a 3rd party NES, a SNES, Atari 2600, N64, Dreamcast, and a PS2 on hand for that reason.

I guess when I finally get an HDTV, though, I won't be able to play the Atari 2600, as its the only system that lacks cables to use on an HDTV!

Of course Pac Man (2600) looks bad enough, let alone on a 1080p TV!

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: DMala]
#283753 - 04/24/12 07:34 PM

Nothing ever makes life more difficult for pirates.

Name one (home) video game pre PS3/360 that hasn't been cracked because of DRM?

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#283756 - 04/24/12 08:01 PM

> The current games all either look the same or just try to reinvent stuff that worked
> long ago ("SimCity", anyone). There's not much originality out there on the shelves.

Originality is just presenting something old in a new way. Try 'A Valley Without Wind' (indie developer methinks).

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#283762 - 04/24/12 08:52 PM Attachment: ea.jpeg 26 KB (1 downloads)

> EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA
> games.
>
> EA used to have decent games back within their early days.

Easy one:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: TriggerFin]
#283763 - 04/24/12 09:08 PM

I wonder if there's a .gif file with the flashing EA symbol?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#283777 - 04/25/12 12:49 AM

> So you thought always online was bad?
>
> I guess I won't be buying any more EA games!
>
> New EA DRM
>
> "
> Electronic Arts’ policy of requiring its users to always be online when playing their
> games is going to continue but with a twist, confirmed Keith Ramsdale, the general
> manager of EA Northern Europe.
>
> This new version of the always online requirement will feature the implementation of
> “online universes,” where the games players purchase will exist on the servers rather
> than on one’s computer.
>
>
>
> Ramsdale explained the new vision for EA’s always online policy.
>
> Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before
> going to work. On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his
> tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he
> chooses his kit on his smartphone.
>
> Here’s the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those
> achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game. We’re very focused on
> transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer
> full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content.
>
> The new policy will be extended to all of EA’s franchises, including FIFA,
> Battlefield, Medal of Honor, The Sims, Need for Speed, and Star Wars games, among
> others.
>
> Ramsdale did not give a timeframe for this policy change.
>
> Analysis: Gaming’s a big business now, and that means that the stakes of piracy are
> much higher. For example, Crysis 2, last year’s most pirated game, reported an
> estimated 3,920,000 pirated copies, resulting in approximately $235,200,000 of lost
> income. Of course, it’s difficult to aggregate what percentage of pirates are actual
> lost customers, but when you’re losing $235 million dollars on a game from piracy, it
> doesn’t really matter anymore. The fact of the matter is that, even if only 10% of
> pirates were actual lost customers, then you’re still losing a painful $23 million
> due to piracy.
>
> Crysis 2 wasn’t an anomaly, either. In 2011, games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
> 3, Battlefield 3, FIFA 12, and Portal 2 all recorded estimate piracy levels of over 3
> million copies, and it’s important to note that three of those games are titles that
> EA published.
>
> So I think the message here is clear. Piracy is a real, veritable concern to any
> publisher releasing high-profile AAA games for the PC. Therefore, EA has a right and
> a business duty to be worried about piracy and to try and think of ways to fix this
> issue.
>
> Now, before you all get your pitchforks and torches and storm my house saying that
> I’m pro-DRM, let me state for the record that I think, unequivocally, that EA’s
> always online policy is draconian, misguided, and repulsive. It’s a prime example of
> taking the wrong route of DRM; it’s punishing all of their players because of pirates
> rather than rewarding the paying customers for their patronage. It’s bad; it doesn’t
> work; it frustrates real customers; and I think that, ironically, it’s contributing
> to the piracy of their games rather than helping to correct the issue.
>
> As such, when I hear of this new development in EA’s DRM policy, I can’t help but
> feel that this is one step forward and two steps back. On the one hand, EA is
> actually trying to ease the pain of the always online requirement by adding helpful
> and customer-positive features to it such as cross-platforming and cloud saving.
> However, in the process of doing this, EA not only misses the point again on why
> their DRM sucks, they also go in yet another completely misguided direction by taking
> away even more game ownership from customers. With this new policy, EA is not only
> continuing but expanding their practice of making customers jump through hoop after
> hoop to gain the content they paid for, and those who do brave the obstacles are
> being rewarded with less actual ownership of that content. You know what that means:
> customers are going to grow tired and frustrated with the draconian DRM and look to
> piracy to try and circumvent all the hassle. It’s a vicious cycle, isn’t it?
>
> The fact of the matter is that you don’t “beat piracy,” and if that’s how you
> approach the issue, then you’re just going to frustrate everybody and get nowhere.
> What you really need to do is encourage people to be legitimate customers rather than
> pirates, and EA’s new policy most certainly does not attempt this in any shape or
> form.
>
> Ultimately, I’m disheartened to hear this news. If EA keeps up the pace with their
> attempts to bludgeon users into buying and using the game exactly how the company
> wants, then I think their future with the PC market might be pretty bleak.
> "

Sweet.

More ways for them to effectively break your game and force you to upgrade to the newer versions.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#283778 - 04/25/12 12:49 AM

> > EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA
> > games.
> >
> > EA used to have decent games back within their early days.
>
> Easy one:

EA started using that second logo during the Genesis / SNES era. So it's not that simple.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: Foxhack]
#283779 - 04/25/12 02:22 AM

> > > EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA
> > > games.
> > >
> > > EA used to have decent games back within their early days.
> >
> > Easy one:
>
> EA started using that second logo during the Genesis / SNES era. So it's not that
> simple.

They started using it as the EA Sports logo. The dividing line is when it went company-wide. The corporate logo changed in 1999.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#283786 - 04/25/12 04:22 AM

> Nothing ever makes life more difficult for pirates.

Well that's not true... I'm sure they have to deal with traffic jams, migraine headaches, and annoying coworkers, just like the rest of us.

> Name one (home) video game pre PS3/360 that hasn't been cracked because of DRM?

That's kind of the point, trying to lock down software with some kind of stand-alone DRM scheme is pretty much doomed to failure. If the game itself is required to talk to your servers to function, however, you have a much better chance of detecting cracks and shutting them down, as well as updating your code to combat any workarounds implemented by the pirates. I wouldn't be foolish enough to ever say anything is uncrackable, but it's far more effective than any stand-along DRM scheme will ever be.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: DMala]
#283802 - 04/25/12 06:28 AM

> > Nothing ever makes life more difficult for pirates.
>
> Well that's not true... I'm sure they have to deal with traffic jams, migraine
> headaches, and annoying coworkers, just like the rest of us.
>
> > Name one (home) video game pre PS3/360 that hasn't been cracked because of DRM?
>
> That's kind of the point, trying to lock down software with some kind of stand-alone
> DRM scheme is pretty much doomed to failure. If the game itself is required to talk
> to your servers to function, however, you have a much better chance of detecting
> cracks and shutting them down, as well as updating your code to combat any
> workarounds implemented by the pirates. I wouldn't be foolish enough to ever say
> anything is uncrackable, but it's far more effective than any stand-along DRM scheme
> will ever be.

But it already isn't. Games have tried requiring a connection, and that was hacked out by the time the things they had to connect to had their first outage.

I hear HBO has decided to make its stuff available right away now, having learned the biggest cause of piracy of their stuff is that you can't get it legitimately when you want it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#283804 - 04/25/12 07:03 AM

> Nothing ever makes life more difficult for pirates.
>
> Name one (home) video game pre PS3/360 that hasn't been cracked because of DRM?

The LeapFrog LeapPad.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

#283805 - 04/25/12 07:12 AM

Good call, TF! :-) It's easy to spot the EA logo: The old stuff sports the old logo.

My all-time fave game that I can't play due to technology marching on was "Pinball Construction Set". The second would be Br0derbund's "Lode Runner". And, of course, there's "SimCity" released by the now-EA subsidiary Maxis.

There's something about that creative element that made the stuff wonderful for experimentation and game longevity. But PCS was killer since it allowed for the tables to be compiled into .EXE files that can run from DOS. :-)

The 1996 release of "Pinball Builder" from 21st Century Entertainment was good though limited when compared to PCS. I happen to have the full boxed version on my shelf which, since 21stCE is defunct, is now considered abandonware. I'd like to scan it all up for the digital archives one of these days.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: Foxhack]
#283811 - 04/25/12 09:11 AM

> > > EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY EA
> > > games.
> > >
> > > EA used to have decent games back within their early days.
> >
> > Easy one:
>
> EA started using that second logo during the Genesis / SNES era. So it's not that
> simple.

The 'new' EA logo is derived from the EA Sports line of games. Here are two random Genesis games from my shelf - note that EA's games were still sold as Genesis games even in PAL Mega Drive territory, and later games even retain the US rating system.

PGA Tour Golf II is from 1992, has the EA Sports logo with the 'new' EA signage, and the square-circle-triangle logo on the rear.
Theme Park is from 1995, and has the old square-circle-triangle logo.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#283812 - 04/25/12 09:53 AM

> > > > EA sucks.If it werent for Bioware being under their umbrella,I wouldnt buy ANY
> EA
> > > > games.
> > > >
> > > > EA used to have decent games back within their early days.
> > >
> > > Easy one:
> >
> > EA started using that second logo during the Genesis / SNES era. So it's not that
> > simple.
>
> The 'new' EA logo is derived from the EA Sports line of games. Here are two random
> Genesis games from my shelf - note that EA's games were still sold as Genesis games
> even in PAL Mega Drive territory, and later games even retain the US rating system.
>
> PGA Tour Golf II is from 1992, has the EA Sports logo with the 'new' EA signage, and
> the square-circle-triangle logo on the rear.
> Theme Park is from 1995, and has the old square-circle-triangle logo.

Exactly. I'll even allow that some of the first console titles under EA Corpsport might have been good, as I haven't looked at those, but the change was, for PC, within a game or two of that logo.

And yes, I much enjoyed PCS, though I only had the C64 version. I don't suppose it's on GoG... no.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#283818 - 04/25/12 01:07 PM

> > > Nothing ever makes life more difficult for pirates.
> >
> > Well that's not true... I'm sure they have to deal with traffic jams, migraine
> > headaches, and annoying coworkers, just like the rest of us.
> >
> > > Name one (home) video game pre PS3/360 that hasn't been cracked because of DRM?
> >
> > That's kind of the point, trying to lock down software with some kind of
> stand-alone
> > DRM scheme is pretty much doomed to failure. If the game itself is required to talk
> > to your servers to function, however, you have a much better chance of detecting
> > cracks and shutting them down, as well as updating your code to combat any
> > workarounds implemented by the pirates. I wouldn't be foolish enough to ever say
> > anything is uncrackable, but it's far more effective than any stand-along DRM
> scheme
> > will ever be.
>
> But it already isn't. Games have tried requiring a connection, and that was hacked
> out by the time the things they had to connect to had their first outage.
>
> I hear HBO has decided to make its stuff available right away now, having learned the
> biggest cause of piracy of their stuff is that you can't get it legitimately when you
> want it.
>
>
> .

Louis CK proved it with his DRM free video, GOG proves it daily with their products...heck, Apple proved it, when they took DRM off itunes purchases and allowed them to be played on other products, their sales jumped way up.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: yaggy]
#283842 - 04/25/12 07:03 PM

Quote:

Pirated games and movies can be better than
the paid copy, since it often skips over nagging
things like ... anti-piracy spots you are forced to
watch. Oh the irony.

That's a point I pounce upon each and every time! :-)

Q: Why do people obtain retail software from unauthorized sources?

A: Because it's cleaner and more reliable than the DRM-infected shrinkwrapped product upon the retail shelves.

I offer that answer with the following caveats: Know your source! And, if you do it via P2P, know how to tell the difference between a full release rather than a virus/malware trojan. And always scan and test the product on a spare "stunt computer" before fully committing to deployment upon the equipment you use daily.

Yeah, a little knowledge about computing goes a long way in making your hobby much more enjoyable in the long run. ;-)

I do buy if I really like the products. It's just that I've been burned by the shrinkwrapped retail stuff with their system-killing copy protection crap (thanks Namco and Taito).

Nice marketing idea, assholes! Protect the product by burning the users' systems! Those are awfully nice gestures! Well, provided that you consider the middle-index a "nice" gesture!

--Bekki

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#283843 - 04/25/12 07:18 PM

> I keep a 3rd party NES, a SNES, Atari 2600, N64, Dreamcast, and a PS2 on hand for
> that reason.
>

A 3rd party NES? what do you have an old Soviet Dendy lying around?

> Of course Pac Man (2600) looks bad enough, let alone on a 1080p TV!

Emulated Pac Man 2600 looks good on 1080p As good as 2600 can look

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: EA to move to cloud gaming new [Re: mesk]
#283874 - 04/26/12 06:55 AM

Quote:

> Of course Pac Man (2600) looks bad enough, let alone on a 1080p TV!

Emulated Pac Man 2600 looks good on 1080p As good as 2600 can look

Z26 rocks the house! It's my fave Atari 2600 emulator. Very lean coding. :-)

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1757