MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids.....
#285082 - 05/06/12 12:27 AM

and loves it?!

And what about it do you love!

I have neither and fu-cking love it. Why? It goes back to when I was a kid. My brother and I shared a room till I was about eight. We got along well enough, but had different quarters-keeping preferences/inclinations. When we got our own rooms, it was so awesome.

Now as then: I love my place, my way, all the time. Others can visit, I can visit others, either of us might stay the night....but we's each got ours owwn hoomes.

As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play with them than parent them (though I've parented and am quite competent).

(Can you tell I have no pets, either? Or plants!)

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: mogli]
#285094 - 05/06/12 01:46 AM

> and loves it?!
>
> And what about it do you love!
>
>
> I have neither and fu-cking love it. Why? It goes back to when I was a kid. My
> brother and I shared a room till I was about eight. We got along well enough, but had
> different quarters-keeping preferences/inclinations. When we got our own rooms, it
> was so awesome.
>
> Now as then: I love my place, my way, all the time. Others can visit, I can visit
> others, either of us might stay the night....but we's each got ours owwn hoomes.
>
> As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor
> desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play with
> them than parent them (though I've parented and am quite competent).
>
> (Can you tell I have no pets, either? Or plants!)

There is one little member of your household that you do tend and see after. Giving them up for adoption isn't an option in this case. More like castration. But at any rate....

I have neither spouse or child. Not that I enjoy being without. But I guess I'm at the place that I (must -obviously) want to be since I do have some amount of control over what I'd want and get in life. Yeah, there are times I get lonely, even feeling a sense of jealousy when I'd encounter people that I used to know that now have kids. It's like I feel I'm missing out, yet at the same time I realize the hardships I'd have to take on with the increase of responsibility that having a 'family' would bring. And I feel that my current position in life wouldn't be the best (hmm) scenario(?) -with where I live and the job (e.g. pay) I have. Yet, I also realize there are other people that are 'worse off' than I am, and they're able to have a family. So in that sense I feel (again) like I must be where I'm at because that's what I truly want.

Then again, I guess I've always been a perfectionist, and very very conservative ...in that I'd rather not offend or end up screwing something up - so I avoid trying it or passing off the responsibility to someone else -that way I won't feel like I'm accountable, or perhaps I seek validation/approval from others on hard decisions.

Not sure where I picked that up. But I guess that's what makes me who I am. Some people were meant for greatness, and some.... weren't.

LEVEL-4

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285097 - 05/06/12 02:10 AM

I had a spouse and twin daughters. Now I get see my twin girls every other weekend. Its all good we just saw the Avengers. I got the walking papers like nine years ago and have had one hell of a good time every since.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#285099 - 05/06/12 02:31 AM

Quote:

Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids.....
and loves it?!

I had a soulmate of a spouse. Sadly, she died back in 2009. :-(

No kids, though. The world is too wack for me to consider even considering bringing a new life into it. The reality of breeders who over-breed only convinced me of the validity of my anti-natalist stance.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#285102 - 05/06/12 02:45 AM

> Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids.....
> and loves it?!
>
> I had a soulmate of a spouse. Sadly, she died back in 2009. :-(
>
> No kids, though. The world is too wack for me to consider even considering bringing a
> new life into it. The reality of breeders who over-breed only convinced me of the
> validity of my anti-natalist stance.
>
> --Bekki

Several people have told me that's exactly why smart people should procreate. In a certain light, it is sensical.

Whether people physically or emotionally leave, it's the same. I have at times been of the mind that it was worse if they was still livin. Cos you they're still there, but can't be had!

Mostly, as I am now, I've been pragmatic about it: love yourself and relish it. If others are compatible to add to it, great.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

To both of you.... new [Re: Breetai]
#285103 - 05/06/12 02:47 AM

@Breetai: awesome, man.

@Tom: yeah. Complex sometimes, but you seem to be knowing of your path.

Also: You mean I'm getting laid? While the perhaps two-thirds of the 40 or so females I've been with were in the last ten years, I've still managed months at a time without any tang.

I one day in high school me and a guy talking about this couple of other kids who were openly smitten with each other. I remarked about the boy having to do things I wouldn't. The other guy said, 'you'll change'. I said, "I won't." 'You will.' "I won't. I know it."

And I haven't. (See the end of my above post to Bekkie.)

The Culture

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#285125 - 05/06/12 05:20 AM Attachment: SSPX0832.JPG 16 KB (1 downloads)

> As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor
> desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play with
> them than parent them (though I've parented and am quite competent).

You can do both. Being a dad fucking rocks.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

Yes it does! <nt> new [Re: italie]
#285159 - 05/06/12 02:34 PM

> > As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor
> > desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play
> with
> > them than parent them (though I've parented and am quite competent).
>
> You can do both. Being a dad fucking rocks.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: italie]
#285163 - 05/06/12 02:56 PM

> > As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor
> > desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play
> with
>

I don't think child services would be too thrilled about the idea of a child's parent/s hosting orgies/sex parties. Then again, I guess that's what babysitters are for. I mean, for watching the kids while the adults defile each other's bodies.

LEVEL-4

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: italie]
#285166 - 05/06/12 03:34 PM

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

I should just sticky this for the next batch that come through commenting on that.. new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#285172 - 05/06/12 04:44 PM

It was Galaxian cabinet with ~substantial~ flood damage. Didn't feel right about throwing it out or potentially selling it so I had some fun with the restoration. Galaga art was all I had laying around. That's also a 25" monitor in there. The board is a cheap 9 in 1 that I received on a trade playing Galaga, Galaxian, Kong III, Dig Dug, Pac & Mrs,etc.

As I always try to do, all modifications are reversible within an hour. Jamma is adapted from a fingerboard. Monitor is on custom mounts, slides right out. There is one cross brace that can't be pulled out, but doesn't interfere with normal components.

METRODUCK
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#285174 - 05/06/12 04:48 PM

i have no kids or spouse i am too shy to ask girls out maybe that is why i have too much time putting these links up for all the dumb videos. Work way too many hours 65 to 70+ so have very limited time to really go out and ask a girl out am always lonely but i have you all out there to keep me stay positive

Hats off to Tessa west 6/13/1981 -7/11/09

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Hang in there my video game nerd brother [nt] new [Re: METRODUCK]
#285176 - 05/06/12 05:24 PM

> i have no kids or spouse i am too shy to ask girls out maybe that is why i have too
> much time putting these links up for all the dumb videos. Work way too many hours 65
> to 70+ so have very limited time to really go out and ask a girl out am always lonely
> but i have you all out there to keep me stay positive

we're all in this together.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#285185 - 05/06/12 08:09 PM

> > > As for kids: while I like them, I've simply never had the urge, inclination, nor
> > > desire for them. At least part of it is that I am child-like, so I'd rather play
> > with
> > > them than parent them (though I've parented and am quite competent).
> >
> > You can do both. Being a dad fucking rocks.
>
> I don't think child services would be too thrilled about the idea of a child's
> parent/s hosting orgies/sex parties. Then again, I guess that's what babysitters are
> for. I mean, for watching the kids while the adults defile each other's bodies.

Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids relates to an orgy how?

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: METRODUCK]
#285188 - 05/06/12 08:44 PM

> i have no kids or spouse i am too shy to ask girls out maybe that is why i have too
> much time putting these links up for all the dumb videos. Work way too many hours 65
> to 70+ so have very limited time to really go out and ask a girl out am always lonely
> but i have you all out there to keep me stay positive

Are you serious?
Have you tried alcohol? That's probably a bad advice, but sometimes it works... you lose all your self-critical and so you wont give a damn about rejection, then it is possible to reach as many women as necessary to finally find one open to your advances. No matter how you look, there will always be available to women.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: snake78]
#285227 - 05/07/12 12:23 AM

> I mean, for watching the kids while the adults defile each other's bodies.
>
> Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids relates to
> an orgy how?

I thought Tom was saying that's what he did. Or maybe he meant me. While I have done group events, I haven't in a while. Now, the local poly group people are an interesting lot. One woman whom I think has never married, and is a teacher (college or high school), has two now-teenage daughters with whom she has always been up front about her socio-sexual preferences. They've met boyfriends and girlfriends.

After the obsolescence of religion, it's only a minor step to stop using Morality as a guiding tool. (She's moral, of course, but her morality is more capable than most people's.)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: italie]
#285228 - 05/07/12 12:26 AM

> with
>

I'm glad you enjoy it. Those who do it should.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Ramirez]
#285253 - 05/07/12 03:58 AM

> > i have no kids or spouse i am too shy to ask girls out maybe that is why i have too
> > much time putting these links up for all the dumb videos. Work way too many hours
> 65
> > to 70+ so have very limited time to really go out and ask a girl out am always
> lonely
> > but i have you all out there to keep me stay positive
>
> Are you serious?
> Have you tried alcohol? That's probably a bad advice, but sometimes it works... you
> lose all your self-critical and so you wont give a damn about rejection, then it is
> possible to reach as many women as necessary to finally find one open to your
> advances. No matter how you look, there will always be available to women.

As nice as it would be to be in a relationship - knowing that someone is desperate enough to want to be with someone that drinks.... Well, I think that says more about them. Like, they're either desperate or don't give a flip (and you probably won't be with them for very long anyway -when they find someone else).

But that's just my opinion, and I'd rather be with someone with some standards.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#285262 - 05/07/12 04:27 AM

> Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids relates to
> an orgy how?

http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24?t=6m13s

It relates to Mogli.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285267 - 05/07/12 04:47 AM

> As nice as it would be to be in a relationship - knowing that someone is desperate
> enough to want to be with someone that drinks.... Well, I think that says more about
> them. Like, they're either desperate or don't give a flip (and you probably won't be
> with them for very long anyway -when they find someone else).
>
> But that's just my opinion, and I'd rather be with someone with some standards.

LOL your loss my friend.

People may enjoy things that you don't, things that don't fit in the frame of your personal beliefs. That doesn't mean that they are "bad" people or bad for you. Everything with moderation. Ever heard that before? Yes, people "sin" with moderation. It's possible.

Not everyone who likes to drink is a bad person, or in deep shit!

S

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#285286 - 05/07/12 07:17 AM

> > Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids relates
> to
> > an orgy how?
>
> http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24?t=6m13s
>
> It relates to Mogli.

ah, as he said... i tend to not pay much attention to people's sex lives. Too wrapped up in my own I guess...

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: I should just sticky this for the next batch that come through commenting on that.. new [Re: italie]
#285289 - 05/07/12 07:54 AM

Quote:

It was Galaxian cabinet with ~substantial~ flood damage. Didn't feel right about throwing it out or potentially selling it so I had some fun with the restoration. Galaga art was all I had laying around. That's also a 25" monitor in there. The board is a cheap 9 in 1 that I received on a trade playing Galaga, Galaxian, Kong III, Dig Dug, Pac & Mrs,etc.

It was in jest (my ";-)" was dequeued...temporarily, so here: ;-) ;-) ;-) ) :-)

Anyway, anyone who is able to restore cabs back to their former glory deserves mad props and salutations. I grew up with Galaga back in the day. Of all the games that brought me into this arcade emulation thing was playing that game again since it's hard to find a real Galaga machine anywhere now.

I'd cut out my own cabs but I have a phobia regarding rotating bladed woodshop equipment. Sounds dumb, right? I can create, measure and assemble intricate clothing made of alternative textiles. So creating patterns and design blueprints isn't hard for me to do. But that dang phobia gets in the way of carpentry.

Y'ever see the movie "Screamers"? It's something like that.

But DKIII in a Galaxian-turned-Galaga cab which is actually a multi-game machine? It's weird, even considering DKIII's premise of literally going after DK's arse. ;-)

--Bekki

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#285290 - 05/07/12 08:04 AM

Quote:

Have you tried alcohol? That's probably a bad advice, but sometimes it works...

Been there, done that. Caused too many problems for me.

So I don't drink anymore. I have other ways to get into trouble now. Like showing up at the spring Cherry Blossom festival in DC dressed up as Hello Kitty and winding up getting mobbed by kids and parents wanting lotsa pics. I had to turn down the child holding part 'cause that ain't my bag.

Fun stuff! I guarantee you, if you're childless you can literally wind up having Asian parents giving their kids to Sanrio. ;-)

Uhh, wait, that didn't come out right. Aww...heck. :-)

I'm a ham. It was awesome! Even though I was with other Kigs I was the one who was mobbed.

If you're an evil genius and want to take over the world, dress up as Hello Kitty where there's a heavy Asian population in the United States. You'll be able to control that legion of followers fer shure! ;-)

--Bekki

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Sune]
#285326 - 05/07/12 03:41 PM

I guess I don't see where have boozie is "Sinning" any more than a married couple having sex with each other is "sinning."

I had a wine cooler last night and enjoyed it.

Now had I gotten drunk...

But I like a wine cooler from time to time.

Oddly enough I won't drink alcoholic beverages at a bar.

Because I won't spend $3 for a wine cooler at a bar when I can get a 4 pack for $6 at a restaurant or store to take home.

I drink soda at a bar, I get pissy enough @ paying $1.25+ for "generic" ginger ale...

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Here you go again. new [Re: greybeard]
#285386 - 05/07/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

I guess I don't see where have boozie is "Sinning" any more than a married couple having sex with each other is "sinning."

I never said it was a "sin".

But you did.

In fact I'm against the very idea of prohibition and neo-prohibition: Let people make their own decisions on whether to use or not to use. Anything less is an affront to that who idea of personal independence and responsibility.

I tried alcohol and it didn't work out for me. Henry Rollins, interestingly enough, has the same story. Neither of us will say you're "sinning" if you enjoy getting a buzz on. If you do then don't drink then drive. ;-)

I'm not against drinkers or people who use any other recreational drug as long as they're responsible about its use. If harm should come to another nonconsenting person or places the public at risk that's when I see that person as a threat to myself and others and deserves to be kept off the road after the fact.

If you like it, fine! Not everyone drinks, though. That's just a fact of life.

--Bekki

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

I was QUOTING SUNE! NOT YOU! new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#285390 - 05/07/12 07:24 PM

Sune
"People may enjoy things that you don't, things that don't fit in the frame of your personal beliefs. That doesn't mean that they are "bad" people or bad for you. Everything with moderation. Ever heard that before? Yes, people "sin" with moderation. It's possible."

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: greybeard]
#285403 - 05/07/12 08:21 PM

> I had a wine cooler last night and enjoyed it.
>
> Now had I gotten drunk...
>
> But I like a wine cooler from time to time.
>

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#285410 - 05/07/12 09:41 PM

> I had a wine cooler last night and enjoyed it.

> I had a wine cooler last night...

> I had a wine cooler...

> ...wine cooler...

/eject

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285411 - 05/07/12 09:46 PM

> > > i have no kids or spouse i am too shy to ask girls out maybe that is why i have
> too
> > > much time putting these links up for all the dumb videos. Work way too many hours
> > 65
> > > to 70+ so have very limited time to really go out and ask a girl out am always
> > lonely
> > > but i have you all out there to keep me stay positive
> >
> > Are you serious?
> > Have you tried alcohol? That's probably a bad advice, but sometimes it works... you
> > lose all your self-critical and so you wont give a damn about rejection, then it is
> > possible to reach as many women as necessary to finally find one open to your
> > advances. No matter how you look, there will always be available to women.
>
> As nice as it would be to be in a relationship - knowing that someone is desperate
> enough to want to be with someone that drinks.... Well, I think that says more about
> them. Like, they're either desperate or don't give a flip (and you probably won't be
> with them for very long anyway -when they find someone else).
>
> But that's just my opinion, and I'd rather be with someone with some standards.

I'm not talking about serious relationships, I'm talking about getting out of the security bubble. Yes, alcohol can kill you, but depression can also kill you. Metroduck's post seemed I post from I depressed guy... maybe I should tell him to seek a psychologist instead of alcohol, but alcohol, a night club and some girls have the potential to be way funnier to a shy guy.

Also, you don't need to get into the bottle, just some beers may be enough... and a girl don't need to be desperate to want someone that drinks a bit to loose its shyness.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#285423 - 05/07/12 10:51 PM

I dont have any children.They take up your gaming time.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#285428 - 05/07/12 11:02 PM

> I dont have any children.They take up your gaming time.

Just look at them as easily defeated opponents, at least while they're small.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: DMala]
#285430 - 05/07/12 11:08 PM

Thats not true. My niece beat me at Street fighter vs Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom 3 more than once and shes 7 years old. NO KIDDING!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#285439 - 05/07/12 11:23 PM

> Thats not true. My niece beat me at Street fighter vs Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom 3
> more than once and shes 7 years old. NO KIDDING!

That's your fault, for playing games that can be won by spamming a single button or series.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#285442 - 05/07/12 11:26 PM

Button mashers. My bane when playing against them in fighting games.

STOP MASHING WEAK PUNCH, I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING COOL!!!

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: Who here *does not* have a spouse nor kids..... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#285443 - 05/07/12 11:28 PM

No.It's her fault for kicking me in the groin every time i'm about to win. So there.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285445 - 05/07/12 11:30 PM

There's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic...

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285471 - 05/08/12 01:55 AM

> > > Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids
> relates
> > to
> > > an orgy how?
> >
> > http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24?t=6m13s
> >
> > It relates to Mogli.

Maybe the wrong vid....or is that a British thing?.....

>
> ah, as he said... i tend to not pay much attention to people's sex lives. Too wrapped
> up in my own I guess...

You just need some [C]orps training. See everbodeh.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#285477 - 05/08/12 02:29 AM

> Thats not true. My niece beat me at Street fighter vs Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom 3
> more than once and shes 7 years old. NO KIDDING!

My 3 year old kicks ass at Galaga. More ass than me.

//for shame.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#285480 - 05/08/12 02:39 AM

> > > > Erm... So italie saying that he enjoys playing with and parenting his kids
> > relates
> > > to
> > > > an orgy how?
> > >
> > > http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24?t=6m13s
> > >
> > > It relates to Mogli.
>
> Maybe the wrong vid....or is that a British thing?.....

If I knew of a way to embed a vid at a start point and end (in the case of that vid) within 3 or 5 seconds - I would've. But I used it to say "Aw, snake."

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#285484 - 05/08/12 03:20 AM

> There's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic...

The way I see it is by using something that can dull your senses, or alter your behavior -you're lending yourself (making yourself open) to evil spirits in where you might do things you wouldn't normally do if you were sober. Like, if you get drunk after 5 beers, then if you drink 1 beer then you're already 1/5th the way to being drunk. There's also the aspect of becoming dependent on a substance. If a person comes home from a day of hard work and uses alcohol to 'unwind', then it's possible, sometimes likely - that they begin to think they need more of said substance to 'unwind' even more.

And I know there's moderation, knowing your limit, etc. But again, I suppose this is my personal view on it - if something is wrong -it's wrong. Like a "little white lie" is like lying in moderation. Playing with tarot cards is diving in moderation -whereas using a(n) Ouija board is inviting, or conjuring up demons. Or beating up old people. One can taunt and pick on elderly -that would be the moderate example of elder abuse. And you could say "Well, at least I don't brutally beat them up." So, you can say "I'm a social drinker, but at least I don't drink so much that I get 'drunk'."

"Oh Tom, get real! Those examples can't be compared."

Alright. I'll give you this. I do know of a good number of people in the denomination of church that I attend that are dead set against televisions. The idea they have is if there are evil things on T.V. -then by having them in our home and watching them is letting a little bit of evil into our lives (or whatever). And I do have a T.V. I hardly ever watch it though, maybe to see what the weather will be for the next day. But taking their 'logic' on this matter.... One could argue the same thing about radios. If I happen to tune into the station that plays rap songs or heavy metal or whatever -according to them I'd be sinning (well, it would also depend if I listened to it willingly). So it's really how you use something that makes it evil. Like guns. You could use it for self defense or you could use it to commit murder. Also, if there are things on T.V. that we could see that would be evil... Then why even go shopping for food or anything else? In the check-out line there are magazines with half clothed females and sometimes males that one could POSSIBLY look upon. So if anyone would be in trouble for having a T.V. they'd also be in just as much trouble for going shopping. ...

I guess what it comes down to is PERSONAL convictions. You might not have a problem with your "social drinking", but I would if I were to do it. So it's not for me and I won't feel any conviction by not partaking.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285488 - 05/08/12 03:45 AM

> If I knew of a way to embed a vid at a start point and end (in the case of that vid)
> within 3 or 5 seconds - I would've. But I used it to say "Aw, snake."

Oh. Yeah, that would be clever. Probly a way, though Youtube may not support it.

More on your commentary about loneliness, etc:

I don't get lonely. I really enjoy myself, and my time. Many things I enjoy doing by myself (for example, playing most vids). It's mainly some things that require another person that I may be put out on. But you can't make people....yet.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#285491 - 05/08/12 04:03 AM

> > If I knew of a way to embed a vid at a start point and end (in the case of that
> vid)
> > within 3 or 5 seconds - I would've. But I used it to say "Aw, snake."
>
> Oh. Yeah, that would be clever. Probly a way, though Youtube may not support it.

There's definitely a way to get a youtube vid to start at a certain point,

Code:

#t=51s 

(51 seconds for this video, change for yours) added to the series of characters at the end of the link, but probably not a way to tell it to automatically stop.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#285506 - 05/08/12 05:23 AM

> > There's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic...
>
> The way I see it is by using something that can dull your senses, or alter your
> behavior -you're lending yourself (making yourself open) to evil spirits in where you
> might do things you wouldn't normally do if you were sober. Like, if you get drunk
> after 5 beers, then if you drink 1 beer then you're already 1/5th the way to being
> drunk. There's also the aspect of becoming dependent on a substance. If a person
> comes home from a day of hard work and uses alcohol to 'unwind', then it's possible,
> sometimes likely - that they begin to think they need more of said substance to
> 'unwind' even more.
>
> And I know there's moderation, knowing your limit, etc. But again, I suppose this is
> my personal view on it - if something is wrong -it's wrong. Like a "little white lie"
> is like lying in moderation. Playing with tarot cards is diving in moderation
> -whereas using a(n) Ouija board is inviting, or conjuring up demons. Or beating up
> old people. One can taunt and pick on elderly -that would be the moderate example of
> elder abuse. And you could say "Well, at least I don't brutally beat them up." So,
> you can say "I'm a social drinker, but at least I don't drink so much that I get
> 'drunk'."
>
>
> "Oh Tom, get real! Those examples can't be compared."
>
> Alright. I'll give you this. I do know of a good number of people in the denomination
> of church that I attend that are dead set against televisions. The idea they have is
> if there are evil things on T.V. -then by having them in our home and watching them
> is letting a little bit of evil into our lives (or whatever). And I do have a T.V. I
> hardly ever watch it though, maybe to see what the weather will be for the next day.
> But taking their 'logic' on this matter.... One could argue the same thing about
> radios. If I happen to tune into the station that plays rap songs or heavy metal or
> whatever -according to them I'd be sinning (well, it would also depend if I listened
> to it willingly). So it's really how you use something that makes it evil. Like guns.
> You could use it for self defense or you could use it to commit murder. Also, if
> there are things on T.V. that we could see that would be evil... Then why even go
> shopping for food or anything else? In the check-out line there are magazines with
> half clothed females and sometimes males that one could POSSIBLY look upon. So if
> anyone would be in trouble for having a T.V. they'd also be in just as much trouble
> for going shopping. ...
>
>
> I guess what it comes down to is PERSONAL convictions. You might not have a problem
> with your "social drinking", but I would if I were to do it. So it's not for me and I
> won't feel any conviction by not partaking.

Looks like Vegas for my friend's bachelor party this summer. I'll get you the details when finalized.
You should go. Seriously.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

I've got 3... wouldn't trade 'em for nothing new [Re: mogli]
#285510 - 05/08/12 06:24 AM

As much as I will always be a "classic gamer," I love me the new stuff, too. And at the same time, they've learned to appreciate the classics.

There's something very special about getting a four-player game of Mario Kart going, or teaming together for some Gears of War 3 and blasting the snot out of the other team.

And then there's those days where we end up at Nickel Nickel, and get a 4-player game of TMNT going at some point while we're there.

One of the best pictures I have is Christmas morning, all three of them in their pajamas playing Gamecube.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong III within a Galaga cab? Noooooooo!!! <nt> new [Re: Gor]
#285512 - 05/08/12 06:28 AM Attachment: 0000.png 32 KB (1 downloads)

> Looks like Vegas for my friend's bachelor party this summer. I'll get you the details
> when finalized.
> You should go. Seriously.

Pfft. Been there, done that.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Wives? -nt- new [Re: Mr. Do]
#285583 - 05/08/12 09:14 PM

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285609 - 05/08/12 10:54 PM

Nice. For some reason, your vid's html isn't showing up in a 'quote'. What is the whole thing?

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I've got 3... wouldn't trade 'em for nothing new [Re: Mr. Do]
#285610 - 05/08/12 10:56 PM

> As much as I will always be a "classic gamer," I love me the new stuff, too. And at
> the same time, they've learned to appreciate the classics.
>
> There's something very special about getting a four-player game of Mario Kart going,
> or teaming together for some Gears of War 3 and blasting the snot out of the other
> team.
>
> And then there's those days where we end up at Nickel Nickel, and get a 4-player game
> of TMNT going at some point while we're there.
>
> One of the best pictures I have is Christmas morning, all three of them in their
> pajamas playing Gamecube.

Cool, man. Alas, I've met very few people in the last fifteen years I've wanted to hang with more than once a week. Those I did have different lives, anyway.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#285639 - 05/09/12 01:08 AM

> Nice. For some reason, your vid's html isn't showing up in a 'quote'. What is the
> whole thing?

Oh, I just put the bit that I added in.

Um... I'll have to add spaces at the < and >...

Code:

< iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMTz1Mk7a4g#t=51s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen >< /iframe > 

with the #t=51s part being added.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285641 - 05/09/12 02:02 AM

> > Nice. For some reason, your vid's html isn't showing up in a 'quote'. What is the
> > whole thing?
>
> Oh, I just put the bit that I added in.
>
> Um... I'll have to add spaces at the < and >...
> < iframe width="560" height="315"
> src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMTz1Mk7a4g#t=51s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen
> >< /iframe >
>
> with the #t=51s part being added.

Ahh, yes. Simple. Apparentely there is a way to end at a desired point, but it seems a little convoluted. I bet it's ridiculously simple for those who understand HTML. By the way, you can now do minutes-seconds by "NmNs".

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#285643 - 05/09/12 02:25 AM

> > > Nice. For some reason, your vid's html isn't showing up in a 'quote'. What is the
> > > whole thing?
> >
> > Oh, I just put the bit that I added in.
> >
> > Um... I'll have to add spaces at the < and >...
> > < iframe width="560" height="315"
> > src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMTz1Mk7a4g#t=51s" frameborder="0"
> allowfullscreen
> > >< /iframe >
> >
> > with the #t=51s part being added.
>
>

The spaces I added have to come out. Also, I don't see a reason to skip the first 19 seconds of that.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285644 - 05/09/12 02:28 AM

> The spaces I added have to come out. Also, I don't see a reason to skip the first 19
> seconds of that.

Yeah, it's groovy; just a test.

Why did you add spaces then?

In any case, note my re-formulated response above.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#285650 - 05/09/12 03:11 AM

> > The spaces I added have to come out. Also, I don't see a reason to skip the first
> 19
> > seconds of that.
>
> Yeah, it's groovy; just a test.
>
> Why did you add spaces then?
>
> In any case, note my re-formulated response above.

I added the spaces because the CODE tags didn't stop the forum from interpreting the HTML and displaying the video instead of the code. It's been so long since I had to do it, that I forgot that the way to do it was to disable it in the "Make Post" drop-down box above the subject line.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285651 - 05/09/12 03:13 AM

> > There's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic...
>

Certainly.

> The way I see it is by using something that can dull your senses, or alter your
> behavior -you're lending yourself (making yourself open) to evil spirits in where you
> might do things you wouldn't normally do if you were sober. Like, if you get drunk
> after 5 beers, then if you drink 1 beer then you're already 1/5th the way to being
> drunk. There's also the aspect of becoming dependent on a substance. If a person
> comes home from a day of hard work and uses alcohol to 'unwind', then it's possible,
> sometimes likely - that they begin to think they need more of said substance to
> 'unwind' even more.
>
> And I know there's moderation, knowing your limit, etc. But again, I suppose this is
> my personal view on it - if something is wrong -it's wrong. Like a "little white lie"
> is like lying in moderation. Playing with tarot cards is diving in moderation
> -whereas using a(n) Ouija board is inviting, or conjuring up demons. Or beating up
> old people. One can taunt and pick on elderly -that would be the moderate example of
> elder abuse. And you could say "Well, at least I don't brutally beat them up." So,
> you can say "I'm a social drinker, but at least I don't drink so much that I get
> 'drunk'."
>
>
> "Oh Tom, get real! Those examples can't be compared."
>
> Alright. I'll give you this. I do know of a good number of people in the denomination
> of church that I attend that are dead set against televisions. The idea they have is
> if there are evil things on T.V. -then by having them in our home and watching them
> is letting a little bit of evil into our lives (or whatever). And I do have a T.V. I
> hardly ever watch it though, maybe to see what the weather will be for the next day.
> But taking their 'logic' on this matter.... One could argue the same thing about
> radios. If I happen to tune into the station that plays rap songs or heavy metal or
> whatever -according to them I'd be sinning (well, it would also depend if I listened
> to it willingly). So it's really how you use something that makes it evil. Like guns.
> You could use it for self defense or you could use it to commit murder. Also, if
> there are things on T.V. that we could see that would be evil... Then why even go
> shopping for food or anything else? In the check-out line there are magazines with
> half clothed females and sometimes males that one could POSSIBLY look upon. So if
> anyone would be in trouble for having a T.V. they'd also be in just as much trouble
> for going shopping. ...
>
>
> I guess what it comes down to is PERSONAL convictions. You might not have a problem
> with your "social drinking", but I would if I were to do it. So it's not for me and I
> won't feel any conviction by not partaking.

What the hell????????? Evil Spirits???? Conjuring demons???????? Beating up old people??????????? I don't want to offend you, but you better check if there is no leaking gas from your stove...

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#285658 - 05/09/12 04:19 AM

> What the hell????????? Evil Spirits???? Conjuring demons???????? Beating up old
> people??????????? I don't want to offend you, but you better check if there is no
> leaking gas from your stove...

No offense taken.

When I say (leaving ones self open to) "evil spirits" -regarding drinking; well, it was you that mentioned that "social drinking" would make one more open and friendly. Is this correct? What you're meaning to say is that it expands or makes a persons true PERSONALITY come out. You will start to do things you wouldn't normally do when you're not drinking. You will say and do things that might not be appropriate. To say you're open to the influence of evil spirits is to say you're much more suggestible, or willing to listen to those thoughts that would tell you to do things that might not be in your (or another person's) best interest.

"Conjuring Demons" in regards to using tools of witchcraft. Well, I'll just have to presume you don't know of the spiritual dangers of using things like ouija boards. It's easy enough to google it, so I'll leave that up to you.

"Beating up old people" It was just an example of how one can either pick on someone or do something much much worse. The point was that either one is still wrong. And I was using that to explain how I feel about drinking. If getting drunk is wrong then even taking a mere sip of alcohol is also wrong. If you can say it's okay to take a little sip - then there's nothing wrong with maybe 2 sips. Eventually you'd be asking what is wrong with drinking 4 glasses? The point is is to maintain a standard. Again, this is my opinion.

But Tom, have you ever taken cough syrup that has alcohol in it?

Why yes, I have. But that was for the purpose of medicinal use.

But you said that even taking a sip is wrong.

There's a difference. If I were sick I'd have a reason to take it (and cough syrup does have other ingredients that are there to help you). Just ingesting straight booze wouldn't help me if I were sick -so it would be doubly pointless to use that.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#285662 - 05/09/12 04:32 AM

Don't mind him, he's just the site fool. Fell & hit his head on a bible when he was young. Left a big cross scar in his soft spot, just never fully regained a full conciousness back to reality. 'Tis a shame.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

I sort of ditto this.... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#285748 - 05/09/12 10:54 PM

> Don't mind him, he's just the site fool. Fell & hit his head on a bible when he was
> young. Left a big cross scar in his soft spot, just never fully regained a full
> conciousness back to reality. 'Tis a shame.

You're a nice guy, Tom, but this line of discussion is beyond my tangent meter!

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285750 - 05/09/12 10:56 PM

> I added the spaces because the CODE tags didn't stop the forum from interpreting the
> HTML and displaying the video instead of the code.

Oh oh oh. Of course. My own words would be something like: cos you wouldn't see the code then, dodie! The likes of which I sometimes say to myself.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4660