MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Reged: 04/11/12
Send PM

Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago.
#286089 - 05/12/12 08:16 PM

This conversation has been edited for time. Actually took place over a couple of days. And I don't really remember exactly how it went but it went something like this. I'm not sure if it was spontaneous as it seemed or if Mrs Otto knew how it would turn out when it started.

We can patch it or we can get a new one for $299.

The next size up is only another $100.

-Snipped 6 hours of talking about various pool sizes.

If we're spending that much might as well get the hard sided pool and I want one big enough I can swim laps.

You know an inground pool would probably be more cost effective in the long run.

It's always cheaper to move to a house with a pool than put one in since pools add no resell value.

OK, we could move.

You know it's kind of a waste have a nice pool and only be able to use it 3 months of the year. We should have an indoor pool.

*Checks internet* Holy cheese and crackers, the dehudifier is $60,000. We should just move somewhere where it's warm.

We should move to Florida.

*Checks internet* Similar house with with a pool is 30% to 50% less than here. Why do we live here? We both hate our jobs.

I don't know?

You have too much junk to move, you'll have to sell everything.

*starts taking pictures and posting on craigslist*

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#286095 - 05/12/12 08:50 PM

> We should move to Florida.

> *Checks internet* Similar house with with a pool is 30% to 50% less than here.

Maybe... Hurricanes?

LEVEL-4

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#286096 - 05/12/12 08:55 PM

Northern Florida, and not near the ocean, houses are definitely cheaper than they are here.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#286103 - 05/12/12 09:25 PM

> Northern Florida, and not near the ocean, houses are definitely cheaper than they are
> here.

Aside from all the derp wandering around northern Florida, I'd say your wife has a solid plan in the works...

//no pool, but if you want a 90+ year old house with a really nice garage in Chicago, we can talk. Been thinking a lot about moving back to Colorado.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: italie]
#286105 - 05/12/12 09:41 PM

Being a hillbilly myself, I think I should be able to adjust OK.

Chicago would not be in the correct direction for avoiding cold weather.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#286123 - 05/12/12 10:20 PM

If she be talkin about arcade junk, that's why they make 24ft trucks. Van Lines, if necessary.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: mogli]
#286131 - 05/12/12 11:12 PM

Yes, that's what she's talking about. I don't do anything with them anymore anyway. There's a few that I don't think I could part with like death race or one of my EM machines but the rest are going away. I also have 3 or 4 hundred PCB's that are going away. Hundreds of Sci-fi books are also leaving, I already started on that. The ones I don't see for download, I'm ripping and throwing away. The console game stuff will be on ebay shortly. Most of my computer stuff that I didn't think would ebay already hit the dumpster.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#286135 - 05/12/12 11:35 PM Attachment: SAM_1566.JPG 1897 KB (0 downloads)

> Chicago would not be in the correct direction for avoiding cold weather.

Global warming 'n all that. Chicago is the new Dallas, but without the steers n queers. Florida is going to be a rain-forest, or a desert in 10 years.

We hit 80+ like 10 times this March, and had less than a week with snow on the ground this winter IIRC.

//Or it was a fluke, and next winter looks like this again vvvvvvv

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#286138 - 05/12/12 11:42 PM

You REALLY should have posted a list of that dumpster stuff here before doing so. You've got a whole community sitting right here focused on that sort of thing. There's pretty good odds SOMEONE would have taken interest.

It's certainly more focused than a post on Craigslist.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: Firehawke]
#286161 - 05/13/12 04:54 AM

> You REALLY should have posted a list of that dumpster stuff here before doing so.
> You've got a whole community sitting right here focused on that sort of thing.
> There's pretty good odds SOMEONE would have taken interest.
>
> It's certainly more focused than a post on Craigslist.

Even posting it on CL for the curb would be better. Donate the books to the library or something.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#286172 - 05/13/12 07:08 AM

Where do you live now?

I lived in New Jersey (between Cherry Hill and Pennsauken) and decided to move to North Carolina (to a town called Cary, just south-west of Raleigh).

The cost of living is fairly cheap compared to the Northeast. My property taxes in NC are $1600 a year. My landlord paid almost $6000 a year for the place I was renting in NJ, and I know people in NJ that pay as much as $24,000 a year in property taxes, though $8000 to $14000 is more typical for NJ.

I considered Florida, but it's way too hot for me. North Carolina is a nice compromise. Not too hot, not too cold. In fact, there's a term for people that move south to Florida from the Northeast and then move to North Carolina. They call them half-backs. As in... they move to Florida, then move halfway back.

I ended up getting a house in NC on .45 acres with an in-ground pool for $215,000. It's an older home, built in 1971 and the pool was installed in 1980. I chose an older home because I wanted to be in an established neighborhood with larger lots and fully grown trees. Here's a video I made while driving home to test the image stabilization feature on YouTube. This is right around 5:30 pm, so it's peak rush hour, and the day was really overcast and threatening to rain so it's pretty dark. You can see the residential area starting around 6:40 in the video. Check out all the trees...

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: mogli]
#286173 - 05/13/12 07:11 AM

> > You REALLY should have posted a list of that dumpster stuff here before doing so.
> > You've got a whole community sitting right here focused on that sort of thing.
> > There's pretty good odds SOMEONE would have taken interest.
> >
> > It's certainly more focused than a post on Craigslist.
>
> Even posting it on CL for the curb would be better. Donate the books to the library
> or something.

*wasteful*

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#286174 - 05/13/12 07:55 AM

> > > You REALLY should have posted a list of that dumpster stuff here before doing so.
> > > You've got a whole community sitting right here focused on that sort of thing.
> > > There's pretty good odds SOMEONE would have taken interest.
> > >
> > > It's certainly more focused than a post on Craigslist.
> >
> > Even posting it on CL for the curb would be better. Donate the books to the library
> > or something.
>
> *wasteful*

I now know two people who have never posted CL curb adds...

Sometimes junk is junk.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: italie]
#286181 - 05/13/12 01:35 PM

Yep, it was junk. 4 old PC's. Pulled the Hard drives so I can image them later. And actually someone did pick them up. 4 times a year we have big pickup day. There are trucks circling the neighborhood all week. I thought the TV's would be the first to go, but it was the PC's. I think one of the scrap metal guys liked how heavy the cases were.

As for the books, I would have gladly sold them on to someone else, but not much interest these days. I'd rather rip them and put them on my nook than give them away as they mean something to me. After I cut the pages out they aren't good for much, so they get recycled. The ones I don't have to rip will be in next weeks garage sale. Their next stop after that will be DAV and if they don't want them, then to the recycling.

There probably won't be anything arcade related in the garage sale, with the possible exception of a wacky gator that is already in the garage.

I haven't had much luck selling empty mame cabs lately. So sadly there probably will be some cabs hit the curb. I've junked a lot of cabs over the last 15 years and it doesn't usually bother me but most of the ones I have left are in better shape or more unusual. E.G. I've been dragging the only known Super Tank cab around for over 15 years trying to get 50 bucks for it w/o any luck. I give empty cabs a way, but with the plexi's and control panels I usually charge something as I can ebay them. If you're in Kansas City and need a Mame cab let me know, I have all types.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the broken ones that are complete, I hate to strip them anymore as they are getting a little harder to find. Maybe I'll get some time to work on them.

I know some of you guys don't see cabs that often, but around here in the 90's you could buy mostly working cabs all day for $5 to $20. I didn't even bother to do monitor repairs back then, I'd just buy one with a rug pattern and one that played blind and combine them. I remember one particularly good auction where I spent $20 and came home with 4 truckloads of games, including that super tank, and a tron and a galaxian/driving force. Ah, the good old days

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: italie]
#286182 - 05/13/12 01:41 PM

Same here, I don't think we had snow this year. I'm thinking it's a fluke. And it's still way too cold to swim. I think it made it down into the 30's here the other night.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: krick]
#286183 - 05/13/12 01:53 PM

I'm in Kansas City. I think Missouri is one of the worst places to be in the summer. Looking at the weather charts it looks like north Florida would actually be cooler in the summer than where I am now if you consider the heat index.

With my anti-social tendencies I wouldn't consider anything less than 3 acres or so. Preferably at least 20 acres. I love trees also, so when i get something it will be entirely or mostly wooded. I've seen some places for sale with 20 acres and a livable house for under 100,000.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: mogli]
#286184 - 05/13/12 02:16 PM

I haven't decided what to do about the actual move. What I don't like about renting is I would have to load and unload in a hurry. I'm too old to be doing that anymore. My lumping days are long behind me.

I've actually thought about buying a truck and selling it there. Then I could get as big a truck as I want, I haven't driven in a while, but I didn't let my CDL expire.

I think ABF will drop a 24ft pup trailer off for a week then come back and pick it up and then let you have it for a week on the other end too.

Something I need to look into is buying a shipping container. Then I could load it and store it as needed. Need to see how much it is to ship I guess. There's places that will rent you a container but they are pretty expensive by the monthly rate.

One bad thing is I know trucking companies don't like going to Florida, because they have to deadhead back. But hopefully it won't be a problem that far north.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#286213 - 05/14/12 12:55 AM

Damn. If you were in Arizona, I'd certainly pay $50 for an empty cab.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: krick]
#286239 - 05/14/12 06:38 AM

> Here's a video I made while driving home to test the image
> stabilization feature on YouTube. This is right around 5:30 pm, so it's peak rush
> hour, and the day was really overcast and threatening to rain so it's pretty dark.
> You can see the residential area starting around 6:40 in the video. Check out all the
> trees...

It's uncanny how much that looks like inland Massachusetts. If not for the license plates, I would totally believe that was shot around here. What's strange is that if you go to a place like eastern Pennsylvania, which is a lot closer to MA in climate and distance, it looks nothing like that.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: DMala]
#286248 - 05/14/12 08:23 AM

> > Here's a video I made while driving home to test the image
> > stabilization feature on YouTube. This is right around 5:30 pm, so it's peak rush
> > hour, and the day was really overcast and threatening to rain so it's pretty dark.
> > You can see the residential area starting around 6:40 in the video. Check out all
> the
> > trees...
>
> It's uncanny how much that looks like inland Massachusetts. If not for the license
> plates, I would totally believe that was shot around here. What's strange is that if
> you go to a place like eastern Pennsylvania, which is a lot closer to MA in climate
> and distance, it looks nothing like that.

I don't know, looks just like the... more populated of the areas... of New Jersey I have frequented. Imagine large, low offices of international pharmaceutical companies being over two blocks that way, and condos over the other side a bit, near the Home Depot. UPS hub ten miles on.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: Firehawke]
#286262 - 05/14/12 04:02 PM

I'm only trying to get 50 because it's apparently the only one in existence. If you were in KC I'd give you a cab. If there's anyone even semi-regular on this board and can come by my house this weekend you can have your choice of an asteroids ct, astrofighter ct, bermuda triangle ur, or space zap ur with control panels etc.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: he doesn't call himself 'crazy' for nothing :-( [nt] new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#286285 - 05/14/12 07:06 PM

> I'm only trying to get 50 because it's apparently the only one in existence. If you
> were in KC I'd give you a cab. If there's anyone even semi-regular on this board and
> can come by my house this weekend you can have your choice of an asteroids ct,
> astrofighter ct, bermuda triangle ur, or space zap ur with control panels etc.

I have a co-worker that makes occasional trips to KC... Eh, who am I kidding? It wouldn't work out unless I made the trip up there myself (and I don't even own a truck).

But hey, you would be headed south on your way there, right?

j/k, nevermind.

LEVEL-4

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Conversation with Mrs Otto about leak in our inflatable kiddie pool 2 weeks ago. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#286310 - 05/14/12 09:26 PM

I don't know, looks just like the... more populated of the areas... of New Jersey I
> have frequented. Imagine large, low offices of international pharmaceutical companies
> being over two blocks that way, and condos over the other side a bit, near the Home
> Depot. UPS hub ten miles on.

That's the eastern seaboard. Green, hilly in places, lots of fairly newly treed areas due to heavy logging early in the country's history - but esseentially flat with stuff in the way.

[I was just telling my mom this, last night....] It's nice enough....but I end up missing mountains...and open space (you know, to see them coming....HEHN HEHN HEHN). I'd head into the trees and not stop for several hundred miles, cos I'd not find anything....

@krick: man, that image stabo makes it weird. Sure makes it look like you're a bad driver in parts. And, um, now we know we're invited ta ya's house.

@CrazyOtto: doing your own truck thing might be just fine; just hire somebody to do the labour. I did last time, and it was worth it. They did me right, in all respects.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3824