MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be?
#287956 - 05/27/12 02:09 AM

You find a lamp by the side of the road. For reasons known only to you you pick it up and rub it. To your surprise a genie pops out. A genie that will grant you one very specific wish. He'll make an arcade game appear, factory new in the shipping crate, that you have to keep, UNMODIFIED, in your home until your dying day. (Oh, if you ask for a XX-in-1 or a MAME cabinet he'll turn you into a worm. Anniversary games like Pacman/MsPacMan/Galaga are okay.)

I hate to say it but I'd have to go with a Burgertime upright simply because it has the most nostalgia for me. Until I hit driving age if I got to play a game it was usually Burgertime.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: aavada]
#287957 - 05/27/12 02:13 AM

I'd like to get a Merit MegaTouch Double Diamond machine. Sure it's big'n'boxy. But the games ruled and it can sit on my bar down within the dungeon. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: aavada]
#287961 - 05/27/12 02:41 AM

I'd have said "Original Pac-Man", but I'd go for the Pac/Galaga 20th anniversary set at this point.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Firehawke]
#287962 - 05/27/12 02:54 AM

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo-all I need

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#287965 - 05/27/12 03:51 AM

Smash TV

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#287967 - 05/27/12 04:13 AM

Tapper....gold bars n all.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: mesk]
#287969 - 05/27/12 04:28 AM

Maybe the X - Grand Master Challenge version. Otherwise the difficulty is a shit pie with a dick in the ass.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: italie]
#287970 - 05/27/12 04:30 AM

Quote:

Tapper....gold bars n all.

They were actually brass. Though I think it would cost hella extra to get 24K gold plating. Or solid gold fittings. But it would be worth it, especially if one could create a combo game/beermeister cab. Now that would be an extreme Tapper machine. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#287971 - 05/27/12 04:30 AM

Probably Ketsui. I'm pretty much past nostalgia kicks. Already double dipped. Maybe even...already triple dipped.

Triple dipped all the way.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#287973 - 05/27/12 04:37 AM

this

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#287978 - 05/27/12 04:49 AM

A neo geo cab with Metal Slug 1-4 if that's an acceptable answer.

Otherwise probably a Star Wars sit-down cab. I loved that game at my local Chuck E. Cheese as a kid. Even if it was wireframe, with the sound and music ripped right from the movie, I really felt like I was flying an X-Wing through the Death Star canal. It was awesome.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Hizzout]
#287979 - 05/27/12 04:59 AM

> A neo geo cab with Metal Slug 1-4 if that's an acceptable answer.

The genie frowns.

And then smirks. MS 1-4 it is...

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#287982 - 05/27/12 06:57 AM

> You find a lamp by the side of the road. For reasons known only to you you pick it up
> and rub it. To your surprise a genie pops out. A genie that will grant you one very
> specific wish. He'll make an arcade game appear, factory new in the shipping crate,
> that you have to keep, UNMODIFIED, in your home until your dying day. (Oh, if you ask
> for a XX-in-1 or a MAME cabinet he'll turn you into a worm. Anniversary games like
> Pacman/MsPacMan/Galaga are okay.)
>
>
> I hate to say it but I'd have to go with a Burgertime upright simply because it has
> the most nostalgia for me. Until I hit driving age if I got to play a game it was
> usually Burgertime.

Burgertime is a good one.

I can't decide, a Robotron upright or a Power Drift sit down. What say the genie?

S

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#287983 - 05/27/12 07:11 AM

> Tapper....gold bars n all.
>
> They were actually brass. Though I think it would cost hella extra to get 24K gold
> plating. Or solid gold fittings. But it would be worth it, especially if one could
> create a combo game/beermeister cab. Now that would be an extreme Tapper machine. ;-)
>
> --Bekki

As a quarter slinging 10 year old they were gold in my eyes, and will always remain so. Sometimes the magic never dies.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#287984 - 05/27/12 07:24 AM

> this

Excellent choice, sir. I commend your taste. Many difficult decisions on this question, but Strider is definitely somewhere near the top for me too.

I think that when it comes down to it though, and after much reflection, I'll have the Space Lords 4-player double-cab. Just way too much fun when playing with friends (and nuke ganking opponents). It's like multiplayer Star Raiders on roids.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#287985 - 05/27/12 07:43 AM

Well that would be assuming I could play against another human opponent of equal skill.If not then it would def have to the Grandmaster version-I would like to play a few rounds at least

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Sune]
#287988 - 05/27/12 07:55 AM Attachment: genie.jpg 33 KB (0 downloads)

> I can't decide, a Robotron upright or a Power Drift sit down. What say the genie?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: italie]
#288000 - 05/27/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

As a quarter slinging 10 year old they were gold in my eyes, and will always remain so. Sometimes the magic never dies.

It's not just Tapper: All those treasured games are. They're all gold. :-)

--Bekki

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

#288026 - 05/27/12 07:08 PM

Two words;
SPACE TACTICS
Even though it is the size of a Toyota Yaris if I must have an add-on built to the garage, so be it.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#288027 - 05/27/12 07:16 PM

Track & Field - Quick playing, multiplayer, competitive.. fun. If arcade game also includes the possibility of pinball tables, I might have to choose Black Knight 2000 instead..

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Gyrovision]
#288053 - 05/28/12 04:36 AM

> Two words;
> SPACE TACTICS
> Even though it is the size of a Toyota Yaris if I must have an add-on built to the
> garage, so be it.

Step 1...Drive to my house.

Step 2...Insert Space Tactics cab into your truck.

Step 3...Drive home.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#288058 - 05/28/12 05:56 AM

Hmm you got any working Jamma cabs you're looking to give away?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288073 - 05/28/12 01:49 PM

> Hmm you got any working Jamma cabs you're looking to give away?

Nothing working currently. Most of what I have left that I would part with is old school or empty. You're welcome to come shop.

colour_thief
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/01/04
Send PM

#288074 - 05/28/12 02:23 PM

Definitely, no hesitation, Galaxy Force II (the deluxe sit down model).

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=429&image=1

The cabinet even has a headphone jack to deliver that delicious music straight to your ears.

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

#288080 - 05/28/12 03:50 PM

Galaga upright - and I want my goddamn genie.

Why won't anyone listen to ninjakid - he's being serial!

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Sez]
#288100 - 05/28/12 11:03 PM

Quote:

Galaga upright - and I want my goddamn genie.

Too bad that I couldn't pick one arcade spot to be resurrected. Prior to it burning down, "The Inn" in West Kittanning was where I enjoyed the classics: Galaga, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Kangaroo and a nice shuffleboard bowling game. And every year our family and relatives would get together and have fun at that bar in the '80s.

My fave game to play there was Galaga. :-)

--Bekki

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#288105 - 05/29/12 12:02 AM

This is one difficult question. What classic game did I enjoy most, and won't get bored to tears with after a while? Then again, this could just be an arcade *starter* piece that I could add to later, even with an XX-in-1 system. Hmm.

Donkey Kong is probably the title I would give for most nostalgic game, but there are literally dozens more games I really enjoyed over the years. Dragon's Lair was definitely another game of high-nostalgic value, but its re-playability is a bit on the minimum side. Maybe a sit-down game like Outrun, Turbo, SF Rush or one of the many other racing games I came to enjoy over the years.

Indecisive? Me? Never.

Well, either I waste a lot of time going through a list of games, or I just pick one and purchase the game I regret not picking later. Okay, I'll go with a racing game. SF Rush the Rock or Outrun? Ah, let's go with the more classic one- Outrun. There. Done.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#288117 - 05/29/12 02:57 AM

Death Race is a serious contender. Probably the first video game to kick-off a firestorm of bad publicity over video game violence... plus was just plain fun.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: GatKong]
#288120 - 05/29/12 03:11 AM

> Death Race is a serious contender. Probably the first video game to kick-off a
> firestorm of bad publicity over video game violence... plus was just plain fun.

Yeah, if I was to pick a single arcade machine with one game, it would be one of the very early driving games. Not sure which, but that's one of them.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#288122 - 05/29/12 03:15 AM

Quote:

> A neo geo cab with Metal Slug 1-4 if that's an acceptable answer.

The genie frowns.

And then smirks. MS 1-4 it is...

It's interesting to note that with the advances of multigame systems that I find myself looking back at the single games of my youth and it's hard to pick just one.

Then you have NeoGeo, Merit Megatouch, TouchMaster and the recent Namco multigame cabs (there's more, of course).

While I'd love to snag up that cabaret Pac-Man machine near Saxonburg the idea of having a selection of games in one unit is more appealing in my older-and-wiser life now.

So as much as I enjoy MegaTouch now there's that youthful appeal of a cab such as this:

Pac-Man's Arcade Party - Coin Cabinet (namcoamerica.com)

Sure, I could go the PokéROM route and just get a MAME-based cab from X-Arcade. But there's just something about having authentic and legit games and hardware within a coin-based cab.

--Bekki

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#288132 - 05/29/12 04:41 AM

Rally X...blech. I'm not sure why that's always included as a "classic". I never liked the game as a kid, and as I got older, I'd always see a Rally X in the corner of my arcade and it was never being played. It had such a tiny screen, bad colors, and for me at least, very boring gameplay....yet I always see it included as a "classic"

Anyone else feel this way? Or i guess if not, explain why it should be included with PAC Man, Galaga, etc...

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Hizzout]
#288142 - 05/29/12 05:41 AM

Quote:

Rally X...blech. I'm not sure why that's always included as a "classic".

I have fond memories of both "Rally-X" and "Pole Position II" from the old Kennywood Park back in the mid-to-late '80s. Both games were one's I'd play between coaster rides.

"Rally-X" didn't get a lot of love, though. While "Pole Position II" is an undeniable racing classic, "Rally-X" is more like a hybrid racing game and "Pac-Man" that somehow didn't gel with the gaming public. While both "Pac-Man" and "Rally-X" were released in 1980 the one problem that held back "Rally-X" was while it had a racing motif it was nothing but a very sparse version of "Pac-Man" but with some randomly-placed obstacles and ten randomly-placed flags as opposed to 240 dots. It even has a time limit in the form of remaining fuel. You're essentially racing against time while attempting to go from flag-to-flag while avoiding the other cars and the rocks within the maze.

And yet, to this day, I still play "Rally-X" due to the challenge as well as the simplicity. For example, are you willing to use up fuel and pass up a flag within view while hoping the next flag is the bonus flag that doubles the points for the remaining flags? Should you burn extra fuel to lay down smokescreens? And where are those other cars hiding? Will they cut into your path between flags? Sure, you have the radar to track the cars as well as know where the flags are. But your eyes can't be on both the radar and the main game screen at the same time. There's quite a bit of drama and split-second strategy involved.

Then "Pole Position" was released in 1982 and it redefined the racing genre. "Rally-X" couldn't compete with that.

On the other hand, I see the 1981 release of "New Rally-X" as a dumbing down of the original game. It was far too forgiving and much easier for new gamers to pick up. I even played it and went right back to the original for some adrenaline-pumping action.

I can see where "Rally-X" fits into Namco's history and why it's considered a classic.

--Bekki

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#288283 - 05/30/12 05:24 PM Attachment: Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_-_1989_-_Konami.jpg 94 KB (0 downloads)

TMNT
I know I'd want at least a 2-player game, so why not go with a 4-player one?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Gemini]
#288284 - 05/30/12 05:26 PM

As a young Hizz, every arcade, every pizza place, every bowling alley, and every movie theater I went to had this game set up. Know how I know? That theme song playing at full volume every 20 seconds. Just looking at the picture of the cab you posted, I can hear the theme song in my head.

swm3rd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

#288285 - 05/30/12 05:35 PM

Super Pac-Man.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

#288287 - 05/30/12 05:49 PM

> As a young Hizz, every arcade, every pizza place, every bowling alley, and every movie theater I went to had this game set up.
> Know how I know? That theme song playing at full volume every 20 seconds.

Yep, that was one LOUD cabinet. There were games set up in a back room at a diner I worked at. TMNT music and sounds are forever burned into my brain...

COW-A-BUN-GA!

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Sune]
#288295 - 05/30/12 06:41 PM

>
> I can't decide, a Robotron upright or a Power Drift sit down. What say the genie?

I have a Power Drift upright. The moving cockpit version is the tits, though. My favorite circuit is B, but the best single track is circuit A, track 5. Love it for some reason. Tough but rewarding.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#288296 - 05/30/12 06:44 PM

Operation Gunbuster (japan model shown)

I actually have a lead on one in Seattle. Seller is a friend of friend and will dump it for cheap, I just gotta pay shipping. Oh, and there's the small problem of storage, but my friend says I can store it in his warehouse. Still haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, it really only shines in 2+ player mode. Single player gets old.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#288300 - 05/30/12 09:04 PM

I'll die for this :

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#288693 - 06/04/12 05:31 PM

Darius is just epic just for its extremely wide screen presentation (and I thought 8:3 "X-Men" was huge).

Has anyone successfully hacked together three digital projection systems aimed at a reflective-painted wall for some ultra-widescreen action?

--Bekki

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#288696 - 06/04/12 05:41 PM

Time Pilot. All-time favorite. Only game I would consider trading my Donkey Kong for.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#289872 - 06/19/12 10:59 PM

Donkey Kong of course.

METRODUCK
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#289876 - 06/19/12 11:45 PM

any of the star wars games

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#289878 - 06/20/12 01:27 AM

> I'll die for this [the new wide-screen Darius, Darius Burst] :

Good idea, cause you won't be playing it in MAME for a couple of decades, if at all. That Taito Nesica arcade system is gonna make it really difficult to even attempt emulation of that game.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Even the old Return Of The Jedi one? <nt> new [Re: METRODUCK]
#289879 - 06/20/12 01:32 AM

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Master O]
#289910 - 06/20/12 04:45 PM

> > I'll die for this [the new wide-screen Darius, Darius Burst] :
>
> Good idea, cause you won't be playing it in MAME for a couple of decades, if at all.
> That Taito Nesica arcade system is gonna make it really difficult to even attempt
> emulation of that game.

It's on Taito Type X˛ and is already "emulated". Arcade PC loader is "emulator" for those games. (Type X/X2 games are easily hacked to work on todays PCs)
A few of them are not dumped yet ! (DariusBurst is not dumped - I hope it will be soon, alone with Chase HQ 2 and few others)

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Gemini]
#289951 - 06/20/12 10:01 PM

> TMNT
> I know I'd want at least a 2-player game, so why not go with a 4-player one?

I was thinking the same, as it provides great multi-player capabilities (and memories). However, I'm worried about
replay value after a few months....

lanman31337
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/07
Send PM

Re: Poll: If you could pick one arcade game, which would it be? new [Re: Gor]
#289983 - 06/21/12 03:35 PM

Sinistar.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7896