MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Windows 7 will hibernate ok, but sleep fails.
#293332 - 08/05/12 06:36 PM

I just installed Windows 7 32-bit on a computer with an older ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard (Pentium 4 + AGP).

I appears to hibernate and wake up fine, but when put in sleep mode, the video doesn't wake up.

Windows 7 SP1 was recently installed by windows update, but I don't know if hibernate/sleep worked correctly before since I didn't test it.

Normally, windows just has one "sleep" option in the shut down menu. I turned off "hybrid sleep" in the advanced power options as suggested in some forums and now I have both "sleep" and "hibernate" in the menu. As mentioned, choosing the hibernate option works fine. The computer shuts down and resumes correctly. Sleep, does not.

From what I can tell, this is the OPPOSITE of what most people experience. Usually sleep works but hybernate doesn't.

In my BIOS, I have these options...

Suspend Mode [Auto]
Options: [S1 (POS) Only][S3 Only][Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]
Options: [No][Yes ]

ACPI 2.0 Support [No]
Options: [No][Yes ]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
Options: [Disabled][Enabled]

BIOS->AML ACPI Table [Enabled]
Options: [Disabled][Enabled]

Anyone have suggestions on how I might fix this? I've seen all kinds of crazy suggestions, but so far, none have worked.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Funny, I was just googinlg something similar new [Re: krick]
#293335 - 08/05/12 07:33 PM

win7 64 bit, asrock board. can't get monitors to sleep, hard drive sleeps even when disabled...

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Both of you try this new [Re: italie]
#293344 - 08/05/12 08:48 PM

> win7 64 bit, asrock board. can't get monitors to sleep, hard drive sleeps even when
> disabled...

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

+5VSB jumpers new [Re: krick]
#293345 - 08/05/12 08:54 PM

> I just installed Windows 7 32-bit on a computer with an older ASUS P4P800-VM
> motherboard (Pentium 4 + AGP).

If it's anything like my old P5P800-SE, that board has +5V standby jumpers for each of its USB headers. Try placing them in the enabled position and see if anything changes.

I read somewhere once that ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC should be enabled from the start when installing Windows 7 for all power saving features to work correctly, I don't know..

Try the MCE standby tool I linked to in the other post.

S

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Windows 7 will hibernate ok, but sleep fails. new [Re: krick]
#293346 - 08/05/12 09:26 PM

Open a command prompt and type "powercfg.exe -a".
-AVAILABLESLEEPSTATES, -A
Reports the sleep states available on the system
Attempts to report reasons why sleep states are unavailable.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: +5VSB jumpers new [Re: Sune]
#293353 - 08/06/12 01:06 AM

> If it's anything like my old P5P800-SE, that board has +5V standby jumpers for each
> of its USB headers. Try placing them in the enabled position and see if anything
> changes.

I may not have explained what's happening in sufficient detail. When I select sleep from the shutdown menu, the PC goes to sleep as it should. Then when I shake the mouse or press a key on the keyboard, the PC wakes up, and I know it's working because I can toggle the Caps Lock key and the lights on my keyboard change. The problem is that the video never wakes up. I'm pretty sure that the 5v standby settings for USB are already enabled. It seems to keep everything powered on just fine.

If I select "hibernate" from the shutdown menu, the PC shuts down as expected and when I press a key on the keyboard, it boots and resumes windows with no problems.

> I read somewhere once that ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC should be enabled from the start
> when installing Windows 7 for all power saving features to work correctly, I don't
> know..

I really don't want to re-install Windows 7, but I'm seriously considering it at this point. Nothing else seems to make any difference.

> Try the MCE standby tool I linked to in the other post.

I really don't see what that tool does. Every setting it changes is available under the normal control panel power settings for me.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: +5VSB jumpers new [Re: krick]
#293362 - 08/06/12 03:26 AM

> > Try the MCE standby tool I linked to in the other post.
>
> I really don't see what that tool does. Every setting it changes is available under
> the normal control panel power settings for me.

At least try it before writing it off. You must leave it running in the task bar.

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#293371 - 08/06/12 05:57 AM

It doesn't appear to make any difference. When I installed it, it asked me a question about what sleep state I wanted. Should I choose "S3"?

I think I chose S3+S4 hybrid sleep.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: +5VSB jumpers new [Re: krick]
#293372 - 08/06/12 06:13 AM

> It doesn't appear to make any difference. When I installed it, it asked me a question
> about what sleep state I wanted. Should I choose "S3"?
>
> I think I chose S3+S4 hybrid sleep.

Choose the sleep mode you use. I believe it applies its magic to that sleep mode only. Hybrid should cover everything then I guess.

MCE fixed a sleep issue I had with Windows 7, but after a clean install with SP1 slipstreamed all three sleep modes work fine without it. I don't remember what it was or if I ever found out. Upgrading CPU or video card maybe had something to do with it.

I remember another issue where no sleep modes would work at all but then I found out that Windows 7 does not like to be started by a boot loader that's installed to a different drive. Then I stopped using a single boot loader to boot all my OS, I use the BIOS boot selector to pick which HDD to boot from instead.

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#293373 - 08/06/12 06:21 AM

At this point, I think that the video card might be to blame, but I have no way of testing that as I only have one AGP card.

I've tried installing several older driver versions and none made any difference, so I don't think it's a video driver issue.

Someone in the ASUS forum had the same problem with a different (newer) motherboard and claimed that bumping up the GPU voltage (or maybe the PCIe voltage?) fixed their sleep wakeup issue.

My next course of action is to enable ACPI 2.0 in my BIOS and re-install Windows 7. I should probably slipstream SP1 into the image first.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

It was the LCD monitor!!! new [Re: italie]
#294637 - 08/28/12 06:41 AM

I just wanted to post an update to this.

It turns out that the problem was the LCD monitor!!!

It was an older LCD monitor and I guess that there must be some sort of communication between the video card and the monitor that wasn't happening correctly when windows tried to wake up the card and/or the monitor.

I swapped out the monitor and replaced it with the much newer monitor off my main PC and then the computer went to sleep and woke up exactly as expected.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2461