MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap.
#300961 - 12/19/12 04:30 PM

Sorry but it is....jack of all trades, master of none.

I could list everything I hate about it, but seeing as I'm going to be assaulted from all quarters for the OP, best not to provide too much ammunition for my online firing squad.

Anyway, it's something I've wanted to get off my chest, as well as my hard drive, for a while, and I feel better now I've gone public with my dirty little secret.

That's all.

Sorry if I've upset some of the devs who work on it, but give it up, it'll never be what you want it to be.

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#300962 - 12/19/12 04:37 PM

It's just rubish (sic).

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#300963 - 12/19/12 05:19 PM

> Sorry but it is....jack of all trades, master of none.
>
> I could list everything I hate about it, but seeing as I'm going to be assaulted from
> all quarters for the OP, best not to provide too much ammunition for my online firing
> squad.
>
>
> Anyway, it's something I've wanted to get off my chest, as well as my hard drive, for
> a while, and I feel better now I've gone public with my dirty little secret.
>
> That's all.
>
> Sorry if I've upset some of the devs who work on it, but give it up, it'll never be
> what you want it to be.

I've put your post in goggles translate and here is what it returned:

"Hi, mess sucks cause I say so, but i do not want to provide arguments because they would be crushed and I would look stupid

I have no interest in improving it as a free and open source project, and I'm far more skilled at complaining anyway so I prefer to do the later"

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#300965 - 12/19/12 06:13 PM

Its a constant WIP. Do you think MAME got to its current state overnight? I guess your complaints would be valid,wait what exactly are your complaints? You never mentioned them.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#300966 - 12/19/12 06:28 PM

> I could list everything I hate about it, but seeing as I'm going to be assaulted from
> all quarters for the OP, best not to provide too much ammunition for my online firing
> squad.

Apparently a wise choice, but as others have mentioned, you provide not a single argument.

> Sorry if I've upset some of the devs who work on it, but give it up, it'll never be

Apparently you don't know what the devs want it to be either.

Too bad it's not about MAME and playing it, or I would have reposted again "MAME is a condom".

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#300967 - 12/19/12 06:46 PM

I'm sure your parents think the same of you and Santa says you get nothing for Christmas this year.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: ReadOnly]
#300973 - 12/19/12 07:27 PM

> "Hi, mess sucks cause I say so, but i do not want to provide arguments because they
> would be crushed and I would look stupid

It's much, much funnier in light of his post here. Because running Saturn games on the same code couldn't possibly offer important insight on how to achieve "100%".

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

1 agree 100%... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#300976 - 12/19/12 08:19 PM

...If by stating "pile of crap" you mean "a great emulator" for the Atari 7800, ColecoVision and Vectrex. It is my preferred and nearly exclusively used emulator for those three systems.

Especially regarding the Atari 7800 and ColecoVision, factor in HLSL with YUV enabled and in many cases it is indistinguishable from the actual console running a game on a traditional CRT.

In fact, it is the only Atari 7800 emulator that does this properly:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/205...2/#entry2660238

Obtain a HQ artwork pack for the Vectrex games' overlays and it is the best you can do for playing that system on any recent Windows OS.

Now if you have a specific system or list of systems it does not emulate well, you are probably a tad frustrated by it.

Regardless, if you mean 'pile of crap' as in literal, you are wrong. If you mean it figuratively, you need a better case or justification.

The multiple base system input mappings, controller mapping and tweaking of system video and audio options are enormous. Though may not have everything you desire it to contain.

Please elaborate on the "pile of crap" statement...I'm genuinely curious why you define it that way. Besides perhaps being unable to configure and get it running or/and looking 'properly' for you.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: 1 agree 100%... new [Re: Trebor]
#301003 - 12/20/12 02:34 AM

> Please elaborate on the "pile of crap" statement...I'm genuinely curious why you
> define it that way. Besides perhaps being unable to configure and get it running
> or/and looking 'properly' for you.

It fails at making toast for me.

THEREFORE IT'S A PIECE OF CRAP EMULATOR. You spent all that time tweaking the waffle setting and you left us toast eaters hanging out to dry!

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#301060 - 12/20/12 06:56 PM

You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some actual Mamedevs are banned...

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: ReadOnly]
#301061 - 12/20/12 07:01 PM

> I've put your post in goggles translate and here is what it returned:
>
> "Hi, mess sucks cause I say so, but i do not want to provide arguments because they
> would be crushed and I would look stupid
>
> I have no interest in improving it as a free and open source project, and I'm far
> more skilled at complaining anyway so I prefer to do the later"

word.

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Ramirez]
#301062 - 12/20/12 07:05 PM

You gotta love how Haze turned down the offer of being unbanned (he wants to be banned) and if you think Moogly should be unbanned then you're a straight up fucking idiot.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Ramirez]
#301063 - 12/20/12 07:10 PM

> You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some
> actual Mamedevs are banned...

Contrary to popular belief, mods here don't ban at first sight. And contrary to popular belief, being a mamedev is no warranty against a well-deserved ban.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301067 - 12/20/12 07:37 PM

> You gotta love how Haze turned down the offer of being unbanned (he wants to be
> banned) and if you think Moogly should be unbanned then you're a straight up fucking
> idiot.

Look, I seriously respect you for everything you do related to Mame. Unfortunately I can't contribute even a fraction of what you do. You'll never see me lacking with respect towards you or anybody involved directly or indirectly with Mame (you'll probably never see me lacking with respect towards anybody that don't deserves it, if I do, I'll directly apologize).

That being said... I think it's a big loss to this forum if Haze don't want to be unbanned. I now his "emupolitics" thing is inconvenient for some other devs, but often he's right and he's very entertaining while doing so. About Moogly, well... you already accept so many trolls around here... it would be awesome to see his response to this very own thread. You seem to have a taste for anarchy anyway...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#301068 - 12/20/12 07:50 PM

Haze has gotten better and his blogs are starting to get less opinionated, a bit, which I like. But he doesn't want to be unbanned. If Moogly was able to channel his whatever into only attacking trolls it would be one thing, but he doesn't. He likes to attack newbies who oh god forbid aren't as smart as him, and he also likes "attacking the system". The system being Mameworld. So fuck him.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#301075 - 12/20/12 09:51 PM

> You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some

There's a reason the devs you get here regularly are the drama-lulz whores like me and smf instead of the classier people like Nicola and Aaron. (Not that I would insult Haze or Moogly by accusing them of being classy, of course).

Alegend45
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/28/12
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301077 - 12/20/12 10:40 PM

> Haze has gotten better and his blogs are starting to get less opinionated, a bit,
> which I like. But he doesn't want to be unbanned. If Moogly was able to channel his
> whatever into only attacking trolls it would be one thing, but he doesn't. He likes
> to attack newbies who oh god forbid aren't as smart as him, and he also likes
> "attacking the system". The system being Mameworld. So fuck him.

I actually tried to help MESS, and he got mad that I "can't code". I at least fixed XLAT in i386, and a gbcolor regression.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Alegend45]
#301078 - 12/20/12 11:25 PM

> I actually tried to help MESS, and he got mad that I "can't code". I at least fixed
> XLAT in i386, and a gbcolor regression.

You got insulted because you claimed you could make N64 perfect and cycle accurate then quit and moved to other things when the going got tough.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

It a hobby, They enjoy working on it. Same for working on MAME. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#301083 - 12/20/12 11:58 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Is it because of Nintendo and others not working right?

I just play the working ones instead of complaining.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#301107 - 12/21/12 04:43 AM

You're no better - all you do is lurk waiting to be offended and then complain.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#301235 - 12/23/12 06:38 PM

Kale has done a bit of a write-up here:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/?p=1825

- Stiletto

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: Stiletto]
#301294 - 12/24/12 04:02 PM

> Kale has done a bit of a write-up here:
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/?p=1825
>
> - Stiletto

"Everyone keeps saying that MESS sucks and the like"

See, it's not just me..

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: Pi]
#301300 - 12/24/12 07:34 PM

> > You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some
> > actual Mamedevs are banned...
>
> Contrary to popular belief, mods here don't ban at first sight. And contrary to
> popular belief, being a mamedev is no warranty against a well-deserved ban.

Contrary to unpopular belief, it did happen in the not so distant past. I (back then already a MAMEdev for well over a year) was banned at first sight, without warning, for mentioning a WIP blogpost by Haze.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: hap]
#301302 - 12/24/12 08:42 PM

> > > You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some
> > > actual Mamedevs are banned...
> >
> > Contrary to popular belief, mods here don't ban at first sight. And contrary to
> > popular belief, being a mamedev is no warranty against a well-deserved ban.
>
> Contrary to unpopular belief, it did happen in the not so distant past. I (back then
> already a MAMEdev for well over a year) was banned at first sight, without warning,
> for mentioning a WIP blogpost by Haze.

Please do specify. No one has ever been banned here without significant justification. We're trying to build a community, not a cult.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: 1 agree 100%... new [Re: Foxhack]
#301304 - 12/24/12 08:46 PM

> > Please elaborate on the "pile of crap" statement...I'm genuinely curious why you
> > define it that way. Besides perhaps being unable to configure and get it running
> > or/and looking 'properly' for you.
>
> It fails at making toast for me.
>
> THEREFORE IT'S A PIECE OF CRAP EMULATOR. You spent all that time tweaking the waffle
> setting and you left us toast eaters hanging out to dry!

And what of the promised pancake support? Why can't we have any pancakes? All I want is some fucking pancakes!

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: italie]
#301305 - 12/24/12 09:02 PM

> > > > You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while some
> > > > actual Mamedevs are banned...
> > >
> > > Contrary to popular belief, mods here don't ban at first sight. And contrary to
> > > popular belief, being a mamedev is no warranty against a well-deserved ban.
> >
> > Contrary to unpopular belief, it did happen in the not so distant past. I (back
> then
> > already a MAMEdev for well over a year) was banned at first sight, without warning,
> > for mentioning a WIP blogpost by Haze.
>
> Please do specify. No one has ever been banned here without significant
> justification. We're trying to build a community, not a cult.

specify what? it was done by twisty back when this site and especially he had an official super grudge against Haze. Another admin unbanned me the same day.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#301306 - 12/24/12 09:06 PM

Aaron is our #1 lurker of all time.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#301307 - 12/24/12 09:20 PM

> "Everyone keeps saying that MESS sucks and the like"
>
>
> See, it's not just me..

That doesn't mean you're right.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: hap]
#301308 - 12/24/12 09:46 PM

> > > > > You got to love how trolls are withheld with immense affection here, while
> some
> > > > > actual Mamedevs are banned...
> > > >
> > > > Contrary to popular belief, mods here don't ban at first sight. And contrary to
> > > > popular belief, being a mamedev is no warranty against a well-deserved ban.
> > >
> > > Contrary to unpopular belief, it did happen in the not so distant past. I (back
> > then
> > > already a MAMEdev for well over a year) was banned at first sight, without
> warning,
> > > for mentioning a WIP blogpost by Haze.
> >
> > Please do specify. No one has ever been banned here without significant
> > justification. We're trying to build a community, not a cult.
>
> specify what? it was done by twisty back when this site and especially he had an
> official super grudge against Haze. Another admin unbanned me the same day.

You just stated what you did. Yeah, there was a grudge with Haze, but rightfully so. The forums were shit on to the point of disgust. For quite a while too. You may have been a case of "wrong place and time", but the banning was justified. Another admin saw things differently and let you back in same day. I wouldn't call that a horrible issue.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its a pile of crap. new [Re: italie]
#301310 - 12/24/12 10:26 PM

How about locking this piece of crap as a thread and ending it with

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: Stiletto]
#301315 - 12/24/12 11:46 PM

that's a good list of stuff I didn't know crap about (I've never even tried MESS). But I have a question about VIC-20/C-64 emulation... is it not possible to fix those using other open source code projects? I've always been happy with winvice, and vice is an open source project, as far as I know.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: URherenow]
#301323 - 12/25/12 04:15 AM

> that's a good list of stuff I didn't know crap about (I've never even tried MESS).
> But I have a question about VIC-20/C-64 emulation... is it not possible to fix those
> using other open source code projects? I've always been happy with winvice, and vice
> is an open source project, as far as I know.

MAME's license is not GPL compatible, therefore a large majority of open source emulators' source code (VICE, Dolphin, Yabause, to name 3) is off-limits to us. C64 does have a large chunk from the Frodo project by their permission, but until OG's very recent rewrite our 6502 wasn't accurate enough to make it really sing. Once Curt finishes that hookup compatibility should be very good, and with his recent gate-level 1541 emulation work copy protected disks should Just Work.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Can I be allowed a Christmas rant about MESS..as in, its not a pile of crap. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#301334 - 12/25/12 10:52 AM

>with his recent
> gate-level 1541 emulation work copy protected disks should Just Work.

Heh... most of the games I played/play I dumped myself and the copy protection was already cracked on those anyway.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4196