GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Oh man, new [Re: krick]
#305552 - 03/11/13 12:12 PM

I wish it was a arcade hacked. I read that a dad hacked this for this little girl.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: krick]
#305553 - 03/11/13 02:37 PM

Very cute. From the title screen, it looks like he used the updated NES version from the Virtual Console. I'm curious how he got it. Is it even possible to pull VC ROMs off your Wii? A quick Google suggests that if he downloaded it, he would have had to go out of his way to find that version, as opposed to just using the original NES version.

EDIT: Here's the backstory, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Edited by DMala (03/11/13 02:53 PM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: DMala]
#305554 - 03/11/13 03:02 PM

> Very cute. From the title screen, it looks like he used the updated NES version from
> the Virtual Console. I'm curious how he got it. Is it even possible to pull VC ROMs
> off your Wii? A quick Google suggests that if he downloaded it, he would have had to
> go out of his way to find that version, as opposed to just using the original NES
> version.
>
> EDIT: Here's the backstory, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Noway man. I didn't know people can pull those from the Wii machines. Anyway I hope someonr do the same with the Donkey Kong arcade ROM's. =P

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: Dullaron]
#305555 - 03/11/13 03:52 PM

>Anyway I hope someonr do the same with the Donkey Kong arcade ROM's. =P

Easy cheesy, actually. Just switch the sprite designs. What I haven't looked at yet is where the colors are handled (i.e. are pinks normally available for mario and reds for pauline).

It's such a simple graphic hack, actually it's surprising no one has done it yet for the arcade roms. (Which makes we wonder if the colors were the issue all along, I won't know til I look).

If I get time, I'll look at the process this in the next couple weeks. Sadly... isn't misfit done with updates? Can still play hacks, but now will require accepting the rom warning screen every time it boots.

:mario:

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: GatKong]
#305558 - 03/11/13 04:12 PM

> > Anyway I hope someonr do the same with the Donkey Kong arcade ROM's. =P
>
>
> Easy cheesy, actually. Just switch the sprite designs. What I haven't looked at yet
> is where the colors are handled (i.e. are pinks normally available for mario and reds
> for pauline).
>
> It's such a simple graphic hack, actually it's surprising no one has done it yet for
> the arcade roms. (Which makes we wonder if the colors were the issue all along, I
> won't know til I look).

Wouldn't you need to create a climbing animation, and a jump animation, and a bunch of other things that don't exist, though?

> If I get time, I'll look at the process this in the next couple weeks. Sadly... isn't
> misfit done with updates? Can still play hacks, but now will require accepting the
> rom warning screen every time it boots.

HBMAME is the new Misfit, no? It seems like it has been dominating the News Submission board for weeks now.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#305560 - 03/11/13 04:27 PM

people inject ROMs into VC downloads all the time to play games on the Wii that haven't been released in VC (N64 ROMS mostly, but there are plenty of others). I'm guessing the same tools can rip the ROMs out.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#305561 - 03/11/13 04:27 PM

> If I get time, I'll look at the process this in the next couple weeks. Sadly... isn't
> misfit done with updates? Can still play hacks, but now will require accepting the
> rom warning screen every time it boots.

Now you submit to HBMAME.
http://messui.the-chronicles.org/hbmame/index.html

Announcement thread:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=302606
Release thread(s):
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/dos...mp;Words=hbmame

- Stiletto

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#305563 - 03/11/13 04:45 PM

>Wouldn't you need to create a climbing animation, and a jump animation, and a bunch of other things that don't exist, though?

Well, yes. All the animations already exist. The animations are just frames of pixels (I still call 'em sprites from my c64 days), and you just need to change the pixels in each frame to look like pauline, not mario, and vice versa.

One exception I ran into was making Crazy Otto... they ignored a frame of animation when they changed the original Otto for Ms. Pacman (she's symmetrical so they didn't need it), so reverting Ms. Pacman back to Otto makes Crazy Otto walk with a hobble when going down since it doesn't use that one frame anymore. Would be nice to have an actual working Otto (ahem).

Colors are the issue here... depending on the game, sometimes you don't have easy access to the colors... they might use the same "shades" in the sprites, but treat the shades differently (make different colors) for different elements. Moon Patrol does that, I remember. A beter example of that is still pacman... each of the four ghosts still use the same sprites, just treating the shades differently to make differently colored ghosts. I'll have to look at DK to see if pink and red are available for both charcaters or if they are shades treated differently. If that's the case, then an easy hack just became a pain in the hack.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

#305649 - 03/12/13 04:14 PM

> > Wouldn't you need to create a climbing animation, and a jump animation, and a bunch
> of other things that don't exist, though?
>
> Well, yes. All the animations already exist. The animations are just frames of pixels
> (I still call 'em sprites from my c64 days), and you just need to change the pixels
> in each frame to look like pauline, not mario, and vice versa.

EDIT: I see what you're saying but still, he spent the most time drawing new animations sprites. There are not sprites for Pauline doing any of those things so that is where the bulk of the time is spent.

There is a guy on KLOV working on the arcade ROM, but the problem seems to be the color issues.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=268223

Edited by XtraSmiley (03/12/13 04:16 PM)

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#305667 - 03/12/13 09:23 PM

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

#305668 - 03/12/13 09:25 PM

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#305671 - 03/12/13 11:40 PM

The description on YouTube has a link to a patch for the "2010 NES Donkey Kong ROM", whatever that is.

Quote:

My three year old daughter and I play a lot of old games together. Her favorite is Donkey Kong. Two days ago, she asked me if she could play as the girl and save Mario. She's played as Princess Toadstool in Super Mario Bros. 2 and naturally just assumed she could do the same in Donkey Kong. I told her we couldn't in that particular Mario game, she seemed really bummed out by that. So what else am I supposed to do? Now I'm up at midnight hacking the ROM, replacing Mario with Pauline. I'm using the 2010 NES Donkey Kong ROM. I've redrawn Mario's frames and I swapped the palettes in the ROM. I replaced the M at the top with a P for Pauline. Thanks to Kevin Wilson for giving me the lead on the tools and advice.

Download the DK Pauline patch! Note: You need the original ROM and XDELTA to apply it. Enjoy!
http://codemystics.ca/downloads/DK_Pauline.zip

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: krick]
#306187 - 03/24/13 05:29 AM

Just to follow up... I was playing with the DK graphic roms... and as I suspected... color palettes are the issue.

So, yes, I can easily switch the graphics on the roms so that Pauline saves Mario... but changing the palettes is a bigger challenge. Pauline will wear a blue dress and have red hair (fine with Jop I'm sure), and Mario will have yellow overalls and a pink shirt. It looks like crap, and not worth sharing.

Fixing the color palettes for both characters would require someone who knows more about the dk code than I do.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: Robbbert]
#306232 - 03/25/13 10:34 AM

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#306233 - 03/25/13 10:48 AM

> Er, ok, it won't be added. The roms I got had pauline changed to a pink mario.
>
> So that gives 2 mario's, and they love each other. How icky.

That's awesome! Hot plumber-on-plumber action. Now that's what I call "laying pipe". It totally needs to be added.

Now we just need a damsel-on-damsel version, so-as not to run afoul of the the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#306241 - 03/25/13 03:41 PM

For the record... I didn't make that. Mine has a blue skirted pauline who does the rescuing. IMO the pink mario looks so bad, I wasn't going to submit it... but somebody musta liked it enough to submit their own. If y'all reallllly want it, I can still submit it, seeing how that one got submitted and all.

cutebutwrong
script kiddie
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

#306245 - 03/25/13 04:29 PM

That has made my week.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#306247 - 03/25/13 05:47 PM

Change it to where he always has a big boner swinging around when he runs and when they meet there they touch dicks.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306248 - 03/25/13 06:23 PM

> Change it to where he always has a big boner swinging around when he runs and when
> they meet there they touch dicks.

Donkey King need a penis too.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: Dullaron]
#306249 - 03/25/13 06:35 PM

Every game needs a donkey dick

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306250 - 03/25/13 06:40 PM

> Every game needs a donkey dick

Here than idea. Donkey Kong + Anteater mix.

Have his penis eat pussies in the ground. Watch out for Blue Waffle and other bad things.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

#306261 - 03/25/13 09:51 PM

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#306263 - 03/25/13 10:13 PM

> > For the record... I didn't make that. Mine has a blue skirted pauline who does the
> > rescuing. IMO the pink mario looks so bad, I wasn't going to submit it... but
> > somebody musta liked it enough to submit their own. If y'all reallllly want it, I
> can
> > still submit it, seeing how that one got submitted and all.
>
>
> Actually it wasn't submitted, I found it. The person who made it said he was going to
> finish it, but clearly never did. Seeing that people want this abomination, I will
> add it for the next release... most likely just after Easter.
>
> My question is: What should we call this set?

Donkey Kong: My two Marios

I don't think anyone here actually, seriously, said they wanted it. I know there's no reason I would ever bother to play it. Any objections to it not being included might be a result of the perceived homophobia in your comments.
Wait, someone's missing, here....

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#306270 - 03/26/13 12:28 AM

It needs someone to take the homosexuality over the top to actually be funny before it's worth adding in my opinion. I was only half joking with the dick comment. It would make it a million times better if it was lol funny.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Rainbow Edition [nt] new [Re: Robbbert]
#306274 - 03/26/13 12:56 AM

> My question is: What should we call this set?

Or icecream edition.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/26/13 12:58 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong: Rainbow Edition [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#306277 - 03/26/13 01:22 AM

Rainbow Edition is perfect but seriously somebody add dicks. Make the game lol-worthy instead of just a halfass quit job.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4450