Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

All I wanna do is have some funscreenshots before I die
#321534 - 02/06/14 09:40 PM

Sort: is there a program to take still images of a commercial blu-ray movie?

Long: Hold to your undies.
I understand the existence of DRM and all this crap, but it really does stop nothing except legitimate uses of legitimate content by legitimate users.

All I want to do is to have some captures of certain shots in my legally acquired blu-ray movies. I want to have the sun dawning over the monolith as my wallpaper, and maybe I'll want to jack off to some of the more lewd shots of HAL 9000's eyes. Who cares.

The problem is that there is apparently no free software (free as in a free lunch) to do something as simple as playing a movie, pausing in the appropiate moment, and capturing the frame. I've searched up and down to no avail I thought I got the solution with MakeMKV and then playing the unencripted movie with VLC and capturing at will. But in the end MakeMKV is 30-day trialware, as AnyDVD HD and other similar software.

However I'm inexperienced and maybe one of you has found a good solution to this. I really don't want to download a 25GiB dump from any P2P network just to get a simple shot of a movie that has costed me $$$.

(And I'd like to find the solution before the arrival of "trusted" computing )

TIA

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: All I wanna do is have some funscreenshots before I die new [Re: Pi]
#321535 - 02/06/14 10:29 PM

The usual alt-'print screen' trick didnt work?

trickyd
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/10
Send PM

#321553 - 02/07/14 03:55 AM

I can't remember how to, but you can get screenshots with media player classic.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: All I wanna do is have some funscreenshots before I die new [Re: lharms]
#321554 - 02/07/14 04:19 AM

Print screen button then irfanview-paste (I'm sure related) has worked for me in 99% of cases.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: All I wanna do is have some funscreenshots before I die new [Re: trickyd]
#321555 - 02/07/14 04:20 AM

> I can't remember how to, but you can get screenshots with media player classic.

According to this, yes but there's a lot to do first...

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14333&postcount=1

S

trickyd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: All I wanna do is have some funscreenshots before I die new [Re: Sune]
#321561 - 02/07/14 05:26 AM

Not really. If he uses makemkv or can watch the movie on his computer he already has the codecs installed. All he has to do is pause the movie where he wants the screenshot, go into file menu and save image.

look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/144662-media-player-classic-create-screenshot.html

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#321594 - 02/07/14 05:19 PM

I did write a long answer but it got lost in the way (probably I selected "preview" but didn't confirm the message afterwards).

Anyway, thanks for your contributions but that was not what I was looking for. All those methods suppose that I have a way to watch blurays which are already unencrypted. And that's not the case. To restate my request for help, I'm looking for a free method of watching encrypted blurays on windows.

Apparently there's no free decrypter. I thought there was no free player as well, since VLC can't play encrypted blurays out-of-the-box.

However more research made me find libaacs.dll which in turn made me find this page (its two mirrors listed):
http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/

The instructions are very simple to follow (albeit I've found so many people struggling with them on so many forums). If you want to find where %appdata% is, simply open a windows explorer window, and type %appdata% in the address bar (with the percent signs). There is where you should make the folder named aacs and put the keydb.cfg file inside. The dll goes whenever you've installed VLC. And done, you can open bluray discs for playing with VLC.

Problems:
* I can't find any more recent keydb.cfg, and that one is from 2012. That means I can play (and capture shots from) 2001: A Space Odyssey (disc was released in 2007) but not from Man Of Steel (released in 2013).
* I suspect that some of the newer discs are protected with BD+. VideoLan (maker of VLC and libaacs) is also developing libbdplus for it, and while still in early stages it can play some of the first generation BD+ encrypted discs. But I see nowhere instructions on how to use it, config/key files for it, or even a simple compiled dll.

Anyway it's a start. If you have further information, please share it.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

trickyd
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321672 - 02/08/14 07:02 PM

I usually found help here

Edited by trickyd (02/08/14 07:03 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1044