MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Why even have region codes?
#321878 - 02/12/14 10:04 PM

You can easily buy a region free "international player"… so why hassle the little guy?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Why even have region codes? new [Re: GatKong]
#321881 - 02/12/14 10:16 PM

> You can easily buy a region free "international player"… so why hassle the little
> guy?

I think the original intent was that everyone would toe the line and respect the region encoding. That didn't work out so well, but the system's already in place so they have no incentive to remove it.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Why even have region codes? new [Re: DMala]
#321888 - 02/13/14 12:39 AM

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price_discrimination.asp

thats why

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Why even have region codes? new [Re: lharms]
#321890 - 02/13/14 01:46 AM

> http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price_discrimination.asp
>
> thats why

Also staggered release schedules - they might want to release on DVD in one region while it's still at the cinema in another.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

"why" also applies to the staggered releases new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#321908 - 02/13/14 09:18 AM

Even with the price descrimination thing being true (most any CD or video in Japan will cost more than the U.S., with little of that difference being tariff), it shouldn't take more than a day to write subtitles, and another half day to QA them.

Releasing movies in a region 3 months or later than in another region is without a doubt the #1 reason for piracy in the movie industry. Hollywood is just fucking stupid.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: "why" also applies to the staggered releases new [Re: URherenow]
#322029 - 02/15/14 02:09 PM

Generally, the main reason for the delayed releases these days (in Australia at least) is so that they can release the film in Australia at a time where it will make more money than it would if it was released at the same time as the US.

For example, the second Hobbit film was released in many countries in early December but Australia didn't get it until Boxing Day. Warner Bros knew that releasing it before xmas would hurt those crucial opening-weekend/opening-week figures because Aussies dont go to the movies anywhere near as much in the weeks leading up to xmas.

Or for another example, take the just-released LEGO movie. Its out in the US and many other countries already but Australia wont get it until April. This is because Warner Bros knows that kids are a lot more likely to go to the movies close to school holidays than they are at this time of the year (when they have just gone back to school)

As for the piracy angle, if it was any other film I might be tempted to say "screw you Warner" and pirate it but The LEGO Movie is too cool not to see on the big screen (and also if I see it in theaters, there is the chance that I could pick up a nice promo item for my LEGO collection

Edited by jonwil (02/15/14 02:11 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1087