Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD?
#324901 - 04/18/14 07:18 PM

Sadly, with the past 2 or 3 months I've been getting an error message on (or before?) start-up, "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable".

I had found that if the loading bar stays at about 1/3rd of the way - it consistently goes to the error screen. Lately I've been trying to power it back off if I see this happening, then I'd power it back up. It had been taking several tries to get it to boot up properly, but until today... After many tries - it just never happened.

So, I figured it's most likely a HD failure.

If it would fail to boot - I could hear the HD clicking(?). This would also happen just before it would crash.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5110.... & there isn't a "cable" to check -per'se.

So, is replacing the HD with an SSD possible?

Would that even help? (I have made a back-up and repair disc)

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#324902 - 04/18/14 07:35 PM

> Sadly, with the past 2 or 3 months I've been getting an error message on (or before?)
> start-up, "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable".
>
> I had found that if the loading bar stays at about 1/3rd of the way - it consistently
> goes to the error screen. Lately I've been trying to power it back off if I see this
> happening, then I'd power it back up. It had been taking several tries to get it to
> boot up properly, but until today... After many tries - it just never happened.
>
> So, I figured it's most likely a HD failure.
>
> If it would fail to boot - I could hear the HD clicking(?). This would also happen
> just before it would crash.
>
> The laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5110.... & there isn't a "cable" to check -per'se.
>
>
> So, is replacing the HD with an SSD possible?
>
> Would that even help? (I have made a back-up and repair disc)

possible. likely even an improvement.

The only thing to watch out for on the Dell is they sometimes had a special recovery/boot stripe on the drive. if you are doing a fresh install of an OS it won't matter though.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: italie]
#324908 - 04/18/14 08:09 PM

> > Sadly, with the past 2 or 3 months I've been getting an error message on (or
> before?)
> > start-up, "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable".
> >

That sounds like it is trying to boot up off your network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

You may be able to change the boot order in your bios/efi setup screens and bump the PXE boot down below your regular HD.

If your HD is really going then it may be skipping it and dropping down to the PXE boot hence the error.

> > If it would fail to boot - I could hear the HD clicking(?). This would also happen
> > just before it would crash.

Depends on what the click is. Cant tell from here But being able to hear the click is usually not a good sign. It may be worth look at the SMART data from the drive. If you see crc errors and many reallocated sectors, its time...

> >
> > The laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5110.... & there isn't a "cable" to check -per'se.
> >
> >
> > So, is replacing the HD with an SSD possible?
> >
> > Would that even help? (I have made a back-up and repair disc)
>
> possible. likely even an improvement.
>
> The only thing to watch out for on the Dell is they sometimes had a special
> recovery/boot stripe on the drive. if you are doing a fresh install of an OS it won't
> matter though.

The one I just did the usb->hd cable I bought for 20 bucks came with a bit of software to clone the whole HD and make the partitions bigger that needed to be. At that point it was just a part swap.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#324911 - 04/18/14 09:03 PM

google says your Dell Inspiron N5110 is SATA so taking out a few screws and slapping in a SSD is basically the easiest thing to replace in a laptop.

Once done you reinstall your O/S and you're back in operation.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#324912 - 04/18/14 09:22 PM

>
> Would that even help? (I have made a back-up and repair disc)

A few months after I received my latest work laptop, they had me replace the HD with an SSD. I just chose one that was the same size, picked up an Apricorn SATA to USB cable, then cloned my HD to the SSD with the included software. I've been using the SSD without issue since then. I use the cable to periodically clone the SSD to the HD, giving me a working copy in case the SSD craps out.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#324918 - 04/18/14 10:10 PM

Do it. Besides the speed increase and loudness decrease, you'll also notice longer battery life. -JW

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: italie]
#324927 - 04/19/14 01:38 AM

> The only thing to watch out for on the Dell is they sometimes had a special
> recovery/boot stripe on the drive. if you are doing a fresh install of an OS it won't
> matter though.

Quite a lot of manufacturers have recovery partitions that allow you to reinstall your OS, it's not just Dell. I have never used a Dell pre-install of Windows though, due to the amount of extra software they install. Their install discs are usually fine though, they are just standard Windows discs with their OEM bios activation stuff on.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: ]
#324932 - 04/19/14 03:20 AM

> > The only thing to watch out for on the Dell is they sometimes had a special
> > recovery/boot stripe on the drive. if you are doing a fresh install of an OS it
> won't
> > matter though.
>
> Quite a lot of manufacturers have recovery partitions that allow you to reinstall
> your OS, it's not just Dell. I have never used a Dell pre-install of Windows though,
> due to the amount of extra software they install. Their install discs are usually
> fine though, they are just standard Windows discs with their OEM bios activation
> stuff on.

Also, when transferring the OS to the SSD, make sure the partition is aligned properly, so SSD read and write speeds don't decrease.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

I may get this SSD.... new [Re: B2K24]
#324942 - 04/19/14 06:59 AM

> > So, is replacing the HD with an SSD possible?
>
> google says your Dell Inspiron N5110 is SATA so taking out a few screws and slapping
> in a SSD is basically the easiest thing to replace in a laptop.
>
> Once done you reinstall your O/S and you're back in operation.

I did find a service manual for that model of laptop. The hardest part was getting the touchpad / area around the keyboard removed.

I found this... It has 1/2 the GBs of my HD that failed (assuming the problem is the HD). I'd really hate to have to shell out the cash for a 1TB SSD.

The amount of memory I had used on it wasn't even 1/4th. I don't have a lot of stuff on there anyway, like music, videos, pics, etc. I've got more games on there than anything else (which anyone could probably tell by the 'Desktop Boasting' Topic).

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: Master O]
#324943 - 04/19/14 07:34 AM

> Also, when transferring the OS to the SSD, make sure the partition is aligned
> properly, so SSD read and write speeds don't decrease.

I'm scared already.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Replacing a laptop Hard-Drive w/ a SSD? new [Re: lharms]
#324944 - 04/19/14 07:45 AM

> Depends on what the click is. Cant tell from here But being able to hear the click is
> usually not a good sign. It may be worth look at the SMART data from the drive. If
> you see crc errors and many reallocated sectors, its time...

I've already disassembled the laptop... But this does interest me. I have no clue how to go about doing something like that (haven't even googled it yet). eta: hmm. Doesn't look too complicated.

> The one I just did the usb->hd cable I bought for 20 bucks came with a bit of
> software to clone the whole HD and make the partitions bigger that needed to be. At
> that point it was just a part swap.

As foolish as it probably was - I didn't make a media backup when I first received the system. But I did make a System Repair disc (burned to a DVD), and made a system back-up to an external HD. I'm thinking that is not related to a disc to re-install the OS...?

eta: Then again, it might be. Reading the Dell website I'm under the impression that I'm probably not screwed.

LEVEL-4

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#324978 - 04/20/14 02:48 AM

> > Depends on what the click is. Cant tell from here But being able to hear the click
> is
> > usually not a good sign. It may be worth look at the SMART data from the drive. If
> > you see crc errors and many reallocated sectors, its time...
>
>
> I've already disassembled the laptop... But this does interest me. I have no clue how
> to go about doing something like that (haven't even googled it yet). eta: hmm.
> Doesn't look too complicated.

I use speedfan. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
hwinfo can do it as well http://www.hwinfo.com/

>
>
> > The one I just did the usb->hd cable I bought for 20 bucks came with a bit of
> > software to clone the whole HD and make the partitions bigger that needed to be. At
> > that point it was just a part swap.
>
>
> As foolish as it probably was - I didn't make a media backup when I first received
> the system. But I did make a System Repair disc (burned to a DVD), and made a system
> back-up to an external HD. I'm thinking that is not related to a disc to re-install
> the OS...?
>
> eta: Then again, it might be. Reading the Dell website I'm under the impression that
> I'm probably not screwed.

That is exactly what that disc is. I usually just buy one from them. They are usually 10-20 bucks. And I can keep the ~20gig of space for something else. As the restore discs will usually recreate that partition.

This is the drive I just got
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE1T0BW/dp/B00E3W16OU

And this usb transfer cable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BQ34ZS

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#324986 - 04/20/14 07:11 AM

> And this usb transfer cable.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BQ34ZS

Nice. Although, it would probably be pointless for me to get that if my (bad) HD isn't readable. But multiple attempts might get it to work.

There are a couple major files I wasn't able to (or, I didn't take the time to) copy after I made my most previous back-up. I could re-download them.

Then again... If the (bad) HD could be possibly be repaired *not sure that's possible* then I could probably keep it around just for extra/external storage.

LEVEL-4

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#324996 - 04/20/14 05:55 PM

If you are doing it from scratch like it sounds like you are doing win7/vista will do it for you. XP didnt.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#325234 - 04/26/14 09:29 AM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

^a link to the post he replied to for the purposes of context.

> If you are doing it from scratch like it sounds like you are doing win7/vista will do
> it for you.
XP didnt.

Sorry to ask & bump this at a later date but.... Since I should get the SSD today I figured I should ask....

I didn't understand. Win7 will do what for me?

eta: Not related to the topic. Just posting this link here for myself to check back later.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/26/14 12:43 PM)

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#325238 - 04/26/14 12:55 PM

> Win7 will do what for me?

Align the partition properly with sector boundaries

S

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

crap.. edit new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325257 - 04/26/14 11:05 PM Attachment: partytime.png 95 KB (0 downloads)

SSD is 500GB.

I'm guessing I need to partition part of the OS (C:) Drive to equal or less than 500GB.

Make a back-up of that (as well as another repair disc?)

Then... magic (don't feel like explaining, feeling a tad uninspired atm).

ETA: I did get this to boot with the old HDD. Yet.... wondering if it's some other problem, like a network adapter (have no clue here). Guess it's too late for that.

ETA2: And anodda ting... the clicking I heard that I thought was the HDD... It was the DVD/RW drive... must'be been trying to access something when whatever couldn't get info from the HD orwhatever.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Tomu Breidah (04/27/14 09:58 AM)

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: crap.. edit new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325294 - 04/27/14 08:25 PM

Tom,

Here's a link to an old post I made regarding an HDD to SSD migration using Windows 7, and a link to a really nicely written step-by-step guide. Maybe it will help:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post275895

Good luck

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: crap.. edit new [Re: jeremymtc]
#325297 - 04/27/14 08:57 PM

> Tom,
>
> Here's a link to an old post I made regarding an HDD to SSD migration using Windows
> 7, and a link to a really nicely written step-by-step guide. Maybe it will help:
>
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post275895
>
> Good luck

Is it possible to clone the OEM's recovery partition as well and have it still mostly work, or is that a no-go?

- Stiletto

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Thanks new [Re: jeremymtc]
#325298 - 04/27/14 09:03 PM

I will study it well, looks promising.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Thanks new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#325300 - 04/27/14 09:36 PM

You could use GImageX (a version of ImageX that has a GUI) to image your HDD and write the image back to the new SDD that you will partition with DiskPart.

Beauty of this is that it does not care about shrinking partitions first.

You would run this from a Windows PE disc or bootable UFD (USB Flash Drive)

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

with 3rd party software, yes new [Re: Stiletto]
#325305 - 04/28/14 12:34 AM

Acronis True Image is something I rely on more than any anti-malware/antivirus. There are a couple of different modes when making an image, namely Disk mode and Partition mode. In disk mode, it will clone the whole disk, including the partitions and it will restore to a disk of any size, as long as it has enough room for the data. (I forget... maybe you have to expand the size of the/a partition afterwards to fully use a bigger disk, but that's trivial to do anyway.)

I find it hard to believe that other imaging software doesn't do the same thing.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2158