MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Trying to find a PC game's name circa 93-94, help needed.
#327301 - 06/23/14 11:43 AM

I got my first PC brought by my parents at that time, it came with MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1. Not bad for a Green 486SX CPU with no CD-ROM and soundcard.

Among the demonstrations at the store, between After Dark screensavers, there was this PC game I'm curious to know what it could be but my memories are really vague. I believe it could have been a point and click game, 2.5 perspective with a space theme. There was this male character driven using the mouse and I approached to some kind of slave (can't remember if human or alien, but humanoid form none the less). Either with the "Talk" command or approaching to him (can't recall), the screen switches to show the slave's face full screen. Then with a terror face he slowly reacts to the point he screams aloud and the screen switches back to lateral perspective. A group of either cyborgs or armored soldiers start chasing and shooting after the player from the right side. I moved the player to the left but got killed on the next screen by a laser shot by the guards. I can't remember a game over screen but I remember it opened a dialog box asking for something... and that's all I remember.

I don't believe they were vector graphics, so Flahsback/Another World are out of the question, however I believe they share a similar theme to the game I'm trying to recall. Any ideas what game it could have been? Anyone remembers playing something similar? Not a big deal, but it's driving me a bit mad.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Trying to find a PC game's name circa 93-94, help needed. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#327302 - 06/23/14 01:31 PM

> I got my first PC brought by my parents at that time, it came with MS-DOS 5.0 and
> Windows 3.1. Not bad for a Green 486SX CPU with no CD-ROM and soundcard.
>
> Among the demonstrations at the store, between After Dark screensavers, there was
> this PC game I'm curious to know what it could be but my memories are really vague. I
> believe it could have been a point and click game, 2.5 perspective with a space
> theme. There was this male character driven using the mouse and I approached to some
> kind of slave (can't remember if human or alien, but humanoid form none the less).
> Either with the "Talk" command or approaching to him (can't recall), the screen
> switches to show the slave's face full screen. Then with a terror face he slowly
> reacts to the point he screams aloud and the screen switches back to lateral
> perspective. A group of either cyborgs or armored soldiers start chasing and shooting
> after the player from the right side. I moved the player to the left but got killed
> on the next screen by a laser shot by the guards. I can't remember a game over screen
> but I remember it opened a dialog box asking for something... and that's all I
> remember.
>
> I don't believe they were vector graphics, so Flahsback/Another World are out of the
> question, however I believe they share a similar theme to the game I'm trying to
> recall. Any ideas what game it could have been? Anyone remembers playing something
> similar? Not a big deal, but it's driving me a bit mad.

Gonna guess "Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers"

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Trying to find a PC game's name circa 93-94, help needed. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#327303 - 06/23/14 01:36 PM

Sounds like it could have been one of the Space Quest games?

Another possibility is Future Wars: http://www.abandonia.com/games/274/download/FutureWarsTimeTravellers.htm

I had that game back in the day, but I only got to play once or twice, because it was a copy given to me by a friend. It's copy protection scheme was one where you had to identify certain colors in a picture in the manual, and I only had a black and white photocopy. I never had the chance to mark down the right colors from my friend's original, so I only managed to get in a couple of times with a lucky guess.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Trying to find a PC game's name circa 93-94, help needed. new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#327314 - 06/23/14 07:56 PM

If it is space quest 4 was it this dude?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

That's him!! new [Re: lharms]
#327322 - 06/23/14 09:30 PM

> If it is space quest 4 was it this dude?

It looks more "cartoony" than I remembered, but it's definitely him.

Looking at it 20 years later, I got it mixed with the introduction or another kill screen. But there's no doubt that was the game I was looking for. I should have know it was a Sierra game, very popular at that decade.

I'm giving another run to many point and click games for the first time. Just like RPG games, it was hard to appreciate games like these as a teenager when english is not your native language. I'm giving a try specially to Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones, Leisure Suit Larry and Monkey Island series... yet another serie to add on that list.

Future Wars looks appealing, I'll give it a try too. Thank you to all.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: That's him!! new [Re: BIOS-D]
#327324 - 06/23/14 09:45 PM Attachment: Moe & Cute 1362801036718.jpg 1111 KB (0 downloads)

> I'm giving a try specially to Full Throttle, Grim Fandango,
> Indiana Jones, Leisure Suit Larry and Monkey Island series... yet another serie to
> add on that list.

Well, of course Monkey Island 1 & 2. Full Throttle is different, somewhat easy, and definitely good, but not comparable to Monkey Island 1 & 2.

My two favs are from LucasArts too, but you've not mentioned them so I'll tell you:

* Day Of The Tentacle (a.k.a. Maniac Mansion II). Funny funny funny, entertaining a lot, cute old style graphics, memorable quotes and characters. Do not miss it. (Bonus: it includes the complete game of Maniac Mansion, playable inside the game.)

* The Dig. Awesome graphics for its era, dialogues written by Orson Scott Card, good scifi story. Different style compared to other Lucas classics, dry sense of humor, the gameplay is more driven with mystery and "what is behind that door" rather than gags and slapstick comedy. Definitely difficult logic puzzles compared to other point-and-click classics, but rewarding when you solve them. My fav point-and-click graphic adventure. Oh and AWESOME soundtrack. I have it in CD and it's AWESOME. (Bonus: Aaron Giles appears in the final credits.)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: That's him!! new [Re: Pi]
#327325 - 06/23/14 10:32 PM

Oh, sure. Maniac Mansion series is a must too, how could I forget to mention about them? I'm done with Secret of Monkey Island and Full Throttle (now on LeChuck's Revenge) so I get what you mean.

I love Ron Gilbert's sense of humor, simple yet thoughful. Not a point and click game, but I played "The Cave" too and was great. Of course I'm giving priority to the works of this person.

Haven't heard of The Dig before, I'll see how good for my tastes it is. So far the only game I'm disappointed at is "Loom".

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#327327 - 06/23/14 10:55 PM Attachment: Ecchi 06_280.jpg 383 KB (0 downloads)

> Haven't heard of The Dig before, I'll see how good for my tastes it is. So far the
> only game I'm disappointed at is "Loom".

Well, as far as game, Loom is both short and simple. It was more like an "artistic experience" than anything else. But even with the limited graphics of back then it was nice. Of course if you were waiting something like Secret Of Monkey Island or Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, you're bound to be disappointed.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#327340 - 06/24/14 02:24 AM

> (Bonus: Aaron Giles appears in the final credits.)

He should be in the credits for a few of those, no?

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#327345 - 06/24/14 03:37 AM

Do you already have all of the LSL games? I had a couple before, but I just purchased the whole lot of 'em a couple of days ago on GoG for <$5

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: That's him!! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#327360 - 06/24/14 09:05 AM

> > (Bonus: Aaron Giles appears in the final credits.)
>
> He should be in the credits for a few of those, no?

He is in the credits of The Dig. He should be in Full Throttle too, but I didn't check. And in some of the games with the Jedi Knight engine too. But while I know he was in The Dig, I'm not sure about the rest. Just because he is credited as part of the workforce behind the making of a game doesn't mean he is listed in the credits. But I guess in the games of that era it was already common to have a full list of people in the credits.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

#327373 - 06/24/14 01:31 PM

Don't forget Sam & Max!

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#327389 - 06/24/14 07:27 PM

Both of the Indy adventure games of that era are worth playing. Get the CD version of the second one if you can.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#327390 - 06/24/14 08:43 PM

> Well, as far as game, Loom is both short and simple. It was more like an "artistic
> experience" than anything else. But even with the limited graphics of back then it
> was nice. Of course if you were waiting something like Secret Of Monkey Island or
> Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, you're bound to be disappointed.

I'm open to any experience, I just found a bit tedious some screens take more than half a minute just to walk from one side to the other. And when you're stuck in a puzzle, expect to walk back a forward very often. I have so many games I'd like to play at full so I can't play them all, but if I ever touch that game again, I'll load it on MESS so I can fast forward while walking. The SEGA CD version is a good candidate.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: That's him!! new [Re: URherenow]
#327392 - 06/24/14 09:01 PM Attachment: 39173341.jpg 43 KB (0 downloads)

> Do you already have all of the LSL games? I had a couple before, but I just purchased
> the whole lot of 'em a couple of days ago on GoG for <$5

I purchased many adventure games in the past. There was this magazine called "Computer Gaming World" (the Spain version) who gifted a game every month. I got a bunch of unknown adventure games and some other well known.

I don't have any LSL game, only got two ISOs from certain torrent: "Leisure Suit Larry's Greatest Hits and Misses! (USA)" and "Leisure Suit Larry - Love for Sail! (USA) (97A025C2)" which covers all of them. But $5 sounds as a great deal, maybe it's time to purchase them legally.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#327394 - 06/24/14 10:30 PM

> I purchased many adventure games in the past. There was this magazine called
> "Computer Gaming World" (the Spain version) who gifted a game every month. I got a
> bunch of unknown adventure games and some other well known.

That Simon The Sorcerer disc brings back memories. It was a fun game although not really outstanding either. I remember getting part 2 but never playing it. I also remember having to do a map for a forest or something like that to remember where everything was.

Ah, the days when Erbe distributed goodness in spanish...

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#327400 - 06/25/14 01:34 AM

> I don't have any LSL game, only got two ISOs from certain torrent: "Leisure Suit
> Larry's Greatest Hits and Misses! (USA)" and "Leisure Suit Larry - Love for Sail!
> (USA) (97A025C2)" which covers all of them.

Nope. You're missing Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude: Uncut and Uncensored!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: That's him!! new [Re: URherenow]
#327404 - 06/25/14 05:15 AM

> Nope. You're missing Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude: Uncut and Uncensored!

Never though you would include non point and click games, non Larry Laffer games nor non Al Lowe products. But yes, if you got that far you may include "Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust" as well. Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded is yet another remake from the first game.

I've been doing my research (and test) about what to touch and what not, I just can't play them all. :P

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#327405 - 06/25/14 06:00 AM

> I've been doing my research (and test) about what to touch and what not, I just can't
> play them all. :P

Apparently you must play Grim Fandango.

I've never played it, I heard there's a HD remake coming up.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2521