View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Minecraft: Sobering
#334262 - 11/05/14 06:52 PM

Some random thoughts: It's an entirely different thing, knowing that tomorrow is the closing date of the Mojang/Microsoft deal, and it actually being the evening before that date. It's sobering and a bit depressing to literally be on that threshold, having to face up to reality. Knowing that it's effectively the end of an era.

An end of Minecraft? No, certainly not. Microsoft have done a great job of indicating that they want the game to continue unaltered for as long as possible. Nonetheless, seeing 1/7th of the company leave is pretty depressing.

More depressing still is the unique knowledge, among my coworkers, as to how corporate acquisitions go. I've worked at EA Tiburon. I've been friends with the people who worked there both before and after the acquisition. I know how corporate buy-outs go, and I know how it's only a matter of time - years, maybe - before the parent company manages to insidiously force its corporate mantra onto the rest of the subsidiary. I know the same from when I worked at Vicarious Visions, this is not a single-company thing.

All of my coworkers think I'm being overly dramatic. They think I'm just being a nay-sayer, that I'm being overly negative. To some extent I wish they had been in my shoes, seeing a third of a subsidiary getting laid off just because their bread-and-butter franchise got nuked from on high at a corporate level due to flagging sales. I wish that they had gotten to spend a year unemployed, searching for random change in the house's couch cushions and drawers just to be able to buy a packet of ramen to eat for the day. At the same time, I wouldn't wish that sort of existence on my worst enemy.

Nobody knows what the future holds. Nobody knows what's going to happen. All I know is what's based on experience, and what that experience tells me is that the next 5 years is going to be trying and not entirely fun. What I cannot stand is my fellow coworkers telling me that I shouldn't be so negative, when they have never walked in the same shoes as me and know precisely fuck-all about how this will actually go.

Oh, and the best part is that Markus threw out a book that I had loaned him when he was cleaning out his office. One last impersonal "fuck you" from the co-founders of the company.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#334268 - 11/05/14 11:51 PM

>>>All of my coworkers think I'm being overly dramatic. They think I'm just being a nay-sayer, that I'm being overly negative.

flummoxing

i learned everything i know from KC

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#334269 - 11/05/14 11:53 PM

So... while you certainly seem to have the experience and valid reasons to feel the way you do, it seems like all of these people feel the same way many 'binners do about you. So at what point does someone come to realize that perhaps they aren't the only sane person and everybody else isn't crazy/mean?

You have an attitude problem. That certainly makes it easy for the people, who deep down believe what you're telling them (or in fact KNOW it's true but don't care because they're getting a piece of a billion dollar pie?), to take it out on you.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#334277 - 11/06/14 03:19 AM

> Oh, and the best part is that Markus threw out a book that I had loaned him when he
> was cleaning out his office. One last impersonal "fuck you" from the co-founders of
> the company.

Ouch, that bit's gotta hurt a lot.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#334286 - 11/06/14 06:45 AM

Sorry about your book.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#334287 - 11/06/14 07:41 AM

> More depressing still is the unique knowledge, among my coworkers, as to how
> corporate acquisitions go. I've worked at EA Tiburon. I've been friends with the
> people who worked there both before and after the acquisition. I know how corporate
> buy-outs go, and I know how it's only a matter of time - years, maybe - before the
> parent company manages to insidiously force its corporate mantra onto the rest of the
> subsidiary. I know the same from when I worked at Vicarious Visions, this is not a
> single-company thing.

I hear you.

Got hired by Dynamix not long after it got acquired by Sierra Entertainment (previously Sierra On-Line). Then Sierra got bought by CUC International, and then sold to Cendant Corporation, and then again sold to Havas Interactive all in the span of about 2 years. In 1999 Sierra completely fell apart due to multiple restructurings every time a new owner got a hold of them. I jumped ship a few months before Dynamix Studio was shut down. The whole two years I worked there was very turbulent at the corporate level and all the employees felt it.

Speaking of EA Tiburon, I worked with Graeme Bayless on Red Baron II at Dynamix. He ended up working for EA Tiburon at some point after Dynamix shut down.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: Gor]
#334288 - 11/06/14 08:58 AM Attachment: fumun.png 194 KB (0 downloads)

> Sorry about your book.

I wonder if it was this book?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

LEVEL-4

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: krick]
#334290 - 11/06/14 09:22 AM

Loved Sierra games.

BC's quest for tires on the C64, LSL, King's Quest, Phantasmagoria...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: URherenow]
#334292 - 11/06/14 10:46 AM

> So at what point does someone come to realize that perhaps they aren't the
> only sane person and everybody else isn't crazy/mean?

Who knows, but the fact of the matter is that I'm the only person at the company here who has worked for major publishers before. Not only that, I'm the only person at the company who has actually had friends who have worked at those publisher-owned companies and talked with them at length about how it was both before and after acquisition. Nobody else has the knowledge base to properly evaluate what is likely to happen.

I get what you're saying, but if you're the only person who knows linear algebra in a room full of people who haven't taken high school math, the fact that they don't understand how to transpose a matrix doesn't mean that matrices don't exist.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#334299 - 11/06/14 02:33 PM Attachment: math.jpg 49 KB (0 downloads)

> I get what you're saying, but if you're the only person who knows linear algebra in a
> room full of people who haven't taken high school math, the fact that they don't
> understand how to transpose a matrix doesn't mean that matrices don't exist.

I took 3 semesters of calculus, 1 semester of differential equations, and another semester of linear algebra in college, but it looks like it was all a waste because WTF?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

#334300 - 11/06/14 02:43 PM

it's pretty amazing that you're responding to a specific passage positing the idea that you might be an egomanical asshole with more egomanical bullshit. let me guess... you're the unique little snowflake in the room that knows linear algebra, amirite? even if you knew the cure for cancer, you'd die from old age before anyone would listen to you long enough for it to matter.

i'm just curious, and be honest here; how many times (roughly) have other people suggested that you read "how to wins friends & influence people"?

i learned everything i know from KC

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: jopezu]
#334301 - 11/06/14 03:41 PM

> it's pretty amazing that you're responding to a specific passage positing the idea
> that you might be an egomanical asshole with more egomanical bullshit. let me
> guess... you're the unique little snowflake in the room that knows linear algebra,
> amirite? even if you knew the cure for cancer, you'd die from old age before anyone
> would listen to you long enough for it to matter.
>
> i'm just curious, and be honest here; how many times (roughly) have other people
> suggested that you read "how to wins friends & influence people"?

Thousands and thousands. No, millions! Happy?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering *DELETED* new [Re: jopezu]
#334304 - 11/06/14 04:23 PM

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#334307 - 11/06/14 04:39 PM

> it's pretty amazing that you're responding to a specific passage positing the idea
> that you might be an egomanical asshole with more egomanical bullshit. let me
> guess... you're the unique little snowflake in the room that knows linear algebra,
> amirite? even if you knew the cure for cancer, you'd die from old age before anyone
> would listen to you long enough for it to matter.
>

I'm guessing all the flakes in here with a CS degree have taken linear algebra. And others as well

If not, everyone can share in the fun that is Linear algebra!

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: ]
#334315 - 11/06/14 05:11 PM

> And if you'd rather be a jerk and shut down the guy who has the cure for cancer but
> can't get anyone to listen, then hopefully karma will sort that out.

it was hyperbole. to help illustrate an example. for proving a point.

> Just because you're not a special snow flake doesn't mean you should stomp on those
> who are.

the irony of the snowflake metaphor is that we are all unique. to help illustrate an example. for proving a point.

> That book is mainly aimed at educating business people how to manipulate suckers by
> making them think you understand and appreciate them. It's not particularly useful
> for actually making friends.

i realize this. and, if it quiets down the person it's suggested to, that's a win for the person suggesting it if they don't have to listen to a bullhorner all the time. you can use the knowledge in the book for whatever means and manipulations you feel like applying it toward, but the material has been proven instrumental for eliciting certain behaviors and attitudes.

at the very least, it may provide understanding for somebody who gets attacked for his attitude frequently. i especially enjoy his constant claims that this forum is a cesspool, with posts stating such in the same exact thread he started as personal outcry concerning his career and life. i almost have to believe he's just secretly joking with all the vitriol.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#334318 - 11/06/14 06:07 PM

> > And if you'd rather be a jerk and shut down the guy who has the cure for cancer but
> > can't get anyone to listen, then hopefully karma will sort that out.
>
> it was hyperbole. to help illustrate an example. for proving a point.
>
>
>
> > Just because you're not a special snow flake doesn't mean you should stomp on those
> > who are.
>
> the irony of the snowflake metaphor is that we are all unique. to help illustrate an
> example. for proving a point.
>
>
>
> > That book is mainly aimed at educating business people how to manipulate suckers by
> > making them think you understand and appreciate them. It's not particularly useful
> > for actually making friends.
>
> i realize this. and, if it quiets down the person it's suggested to, that's a win for
> the person suggesting it if they don't have to listen to a bullhorner all the time.
> you can use the knowledge in the book for whatever means and manipulations you feel
> like applying it toward, but the material has been proven instrumental for eliciting
> certain behaviors and attitudes.
>
> at the very least, it may provide understanding for somebody who gets attacked for
> his attitude frequently. i especially enjoy his constant claims that this forum is a
> cesspool, with posts stating such in the same exact thread he started as personal
> outcry concerning his career and life. i almost have to believe he's just secretly
> joking with all the vitriol.

Knowing your brain works differently than other people's doesn't fix it.
Knowing there is a fix doesn't help, when that fix is going to radically alter the thought processes you need to do the only things that make life bearable.
Your friend has just sold the closest thing you have to a soul to the closest thing the world has to Satan. The rest of your friends are OK with this deal. Half of them of gone to Hell to party and check out the new chains.

Pardon, I've actually begun crying now, which is a thing I don't do much. I need to go kill things and forget the world exists for a few days.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering *DELETED* new [Re: jopezu]
#334320 - 11/06/14 06:33 PM

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#334321 - 11/06/14 06:34 PM

> > Sorry about your book.
>
>
> I wonder if it was this book?

That's similar to a book I started writing last year, working title "F you, stairs. F you, curb. F you, slight incline."

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: ]
#334322 - 11/06/14 07:05 PM

>Your metaphor is a logical fallacy, unique and special have no correlation.
>Everyone is unique but not everyone is special.

go ahead and define "special" for me.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: Gor]
#334336 - 11/06/14 10:19 PM

> I took 3 semesters of calculus, 1 semester of differential equations, and another semester of linear algebra in college, but it looks like it was all a waste because WTF?

There's nothing wrong with that approach, just the explanation is a bit daunting. Expressing it in terms of the commutativity law would be cooler, easier, and prepare them for later math.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#334337 - 11/06/14 10:25 PM

> > Oh, and the best part is that Markus threw out a book that I had loaned him when he was cleaning out his office. One last impersonal "fuck you" from the co-founders of the company.

> Ouch, that bit's gotta hurt a lot.

Hosehead probably didn't remember where it came from, and apparently wasn't bright enough to leave anything he didn't recall origination of out in the office for others to find, etc. Regardless: never loan books to people. Tell them about it, if they're interested, they can get their own at the library if nothing else.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Minecraft: Sobering new [Re: URherenow]
#334338 - 11/06/14 10:29 PM

> You have an attitude problem. That certainly makes it easy for the people, who deep down believe what you're telling them (or in fact KNOW it's true but don't care because they're getting a piece of a billion dollar pie?), to take it out on you.

You's Wrong! I don't see Moogly has any problem. He has ideas and vexations and what-have-you like everyone does. He's a little bit strict in his sense of order of some things. Here he's just thinking and lamenting out loud. AND YOU'VE SHIT ON 'IM. YOU DON'T SEE HE'S REACHING OUT. WANTING TO SHARE! OH-OHHHHHHWW.

(( I had a slightly different ending....and then I was spontaneously inspired. ))

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#334339 - 11/06/14 10:34 PM

The real question is, how long are Microsoft going to continue making Minecraft on platforms it hates (PS3, PS4, Vita, Linux, Android, iOS)?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3053