Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

How are users supposed to know how each hack alters the game?
#335226 - 12/17/14 08:48 AM

Unless you are the author of a hack, how are users supposed to know how the hack alters the game? If there's no information about the hack on the History.dat, then there's no way of finding out what it does unless you try and test each hack out. And since there are thousands of hacks, this is not feasible. I just don't understand an author that would go through the trouble of making a hack, but not include information of what it actually does.

So do any of you know of a website that has information about many of these hacks?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: How are users supposed to know how each hack alters the game? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#335234 - 12/17/14 05:13 PM

You could always start by playing a game and documenting these hacks or differences from the official version

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

Re: How are users supposed to know how each hack alters the game? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#335247 - 12/17/14 10:34 PM

> Unless you are the author of a hack, how are users supposed to know how the hack
> alters the game?

Well, most of the hacks (especially for the golden age roms) are graphical or easily identifiable hacks (like the different mazes in Pac-Man or Elton John glasses on Pac-Man. I would say a large majority of them are identifiable by name alone. In many cases, the original zips had a text file which detailed the hack. I have some of the hacks from when they first came out and have the original zips. Many contain readme files.

A .dat file wouldn't be a bad thing but it would take a lot of work to create one and for most games, unnecessary.

-Mc

Edited by McHale (12/22/14 08:38 AM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

This has been asked before new [Re: Big Karnak]
#335249 - 12/17/14 11:25 PM

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: How are users supposed to know how each hack alters the game? new [Re: McHale]
#335319 - 12/20/14 08:19 PM

> A .dat file would be a bad thing but it would take a lot of work to create one and for most games, unnecessary.

-Mc

Bad as in bad? Or bad as in BAAAD?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

Re: How are users supposed to know how each hack alters the game? new [Re: Traso]
#335362 - 12/22/14 08:39 AM

> > A .dat file would be a bad thing but it would take a lot of work to create one and
> for most games, unnecessary.
>
> -Mc
>
>
> Bad as in bad? Or bad as in BAAAD?

yes and no. I meant to type WOULDN'T be a bad thing (so I corrected it).

But had I not corrected it, yes. BAAAD would do it.

-Mc

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4347