Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

I'm trying to use IV/Play for the first time and it's not working, long time MAMEUI user.
#354929 - 05/29/16 08:02 PM

I've read the IV-Play PDF guide by the way. So I downloaded mame0174b_64bit.exe and installed it into a folder. I dropped the IV/Play files also in the same folder. When I double click on the IV-Play exe the window comes up and I hit the F1 key and saw that menu, so I added the paths of the roms and chd folder in the window on the right, so I thought I was setting my rom paths but it's not working. Clicking on a game while using IV-Play but nothing happens except a black screen appears then disappears.

Wild guess here am I suppose to setup mame.exe before using the IV-Play.exe ?

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: I'm trying to use IV/Play for the first time and it's not working, long time MAMEUI user. new [Re: MKFAN]
#354959 - 05/30/16 03:10 AM

IV/Play uses the pathing you get in a regular mame.ini that's produced by running 'mame.exe -cc'. It should just be using .\roms anyhow.

The add folders option in IV/Play you used is only for adding 'art' style folders like flyers, bosses, cabinets etc. IV/Play gets just about everything from Mame.ini.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm trying to use IV/Play for the first time and it's not working, long time MAMEUI user. new [Re: John IV]
#354987 - 05/30/16 01:59 PM

So I have to use/setup first through regular Mame then I can use IV/Play ?

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

Re: I'm trying to use IV/Play for the first time and it's not working, long time MAMEUI user. new [Re: MKFAN]
#354992 - 05/30/16 07:59 PM

No you can use it straight out of the box if you want. I just downloaded the same x64 dist you did from mamedev.org and extracted the package into a folder on my desktop.

Then I just moved the IVPlay.exe into that directory and double clicked it. IV/Play found the mame.exe and built its dat file and should then leave you at the IV/Play game list. You can then put icons and snaps and bkgrounds etc. in their respective directories to gussy up the interface. And of course you need your ROMs in the roms folder to run.

The distribution package of baseline Mame doesn't come with a mame.ini so if you want to alter any of mame's settings you need to create the mame.ini by using the commandline 'mame64.exe -cc' and then edit mame.ini as you see fit.

john iv

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm trying to use IV/Play for the first time and it's not working, long time MAMEUI user. new [Re: John IV]
#355005 - 05/30/16 10:55 PM

I got four questions that I need answers for, please help.

1. Quote you said

"The distribution package of baseline Mame doesn't come with a mame.ini so if you want to alter any of mame's settings you need to create the mame.ini by using the commandline 'mame64.exe -cc' and then edit mame.ini as you see fit."

I downloaded this one,

"MAME 0.174 64-bit Windows command-line binaries"

do I still need to create something, ause I will change some settings probably ?

2. Biggest problem I currently having right now is how to set the paths to my rom and chd folders. I don't want to move those folders from where they are to the roms folder within the Mame directory.

Thanks

Edited by MKFAN (05/30/16 11:26 PM)

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#355020 - 05/31/16 02:59 AM

IV/Play is a streamlined launcher, it's decoupled from setting the options of Mame so that it's futureproof. That's what you use baseline's mame.ini for.

You can leave your roms and chds in their current location and put the mame.exe and iv/play.exe in the same directory that's above your current roms and chds, maybe that's in your previous MameUI directory I don't know. The IV/Play favorites file follows the IV/Play.exe around, just put it in the same directory.

See the IV/Play PDF for the way its expecting to be set up. IV/Play just needs to sit on the top level of normal Mame or MameUI directory structure along with a mame or mameui.exe.

john iv

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355171 - 06/02/16 02:23 AM

Thanks for the help but I'll stick with mameui.

Edited by MKFAN (06/02/16 03:44 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#355182 - 06/02/16 11:29 AM

maybe ivplay could launch mame with -cc the first time if it detects there is no mame.ini file?

either way, this thread makes a good example of the failure to convert a user from the bad old deprecated MAMEUI to something more modern using the baseline build.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

No issue here. new [Re: Haze]
#355222 - 06/03/16 03:14 AM Attachment: working.png 1396 KB (0 downloads)

I don't know where he download MAME from but it not crashing here. Snapshot 1 and 2 in one.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

Re: No issue here. new [Re: Dullaron]
#355228 - 06/03/16 08:03 AM

No one said it was crashing, it was probably just not finding the roms. The OP probably just didn't realize that IV/Play utilizes the mame.ini for options and doesn't have a menu system like MameUI for tweaking them. That's intentional and IV/Play can run just fine w/out the ini sitting at the top of the directory structure of a baseline or mameui dist package if you want to for whatever reason.

In my estimation baseline should be creating a mame.ini on first run if there isn't one, if for nothing else than to expose the user to the myriad of settings.

But whatevs, that's why there are a variety of front ends out there so you can find one that suits you and your workflow/gameflow.

john iv

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: No issue here. new [Re: John IV]
#355246 - 06/03/16 09:13 PM

> No one said it was crashing, it was probably just not finding the roms. The OP
> probably just didn't realize that IV/Play utilizes the mame.ini for options and
> doesn't have a menu system like MameUI for tweaking them. That's intentional and
> IV/Play can run just fine w/out the ini sitting at the top of the directory structure
> of a baseline or mameui dist package if you want to for whatever reason.
>
> In my estimation baseline should be creating a mame.ini on first run if there isn't
> one, if for nothing else than to expose the user to the myriad of settings.
>
> But whatevs, that's why there are a variety of front ends out there so you can find
> one that suits you and your workflow/gameflow.

I had this issue once. It was the hard drive cause the reading issue. That long time ago. That hard drive died.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5019