jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

i will have to investigate this snes vs arcade ost claim
#356540 - 07/15/16 10:26 PM

http://www.shamoozal.com/nerdlog/games-that-pushed-the-snes-sound-card/

dude says street fighter 2 (snes) blows away the arcade version's ost. i'm always up for some critical comparisons.

i learned everything i know from KC

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: i will have to investigate this snes vs arcade ost claim new [Re: jopezu]
#356565 - 07/16/16 02:57 AM

> http://www.shamoozal.com/nerdlog/games-that-pushed-the-snes-sound-card/
>
> dude says street fighter 2 (snes) blows away the arcade version's ost. i'm always up
> for some critical comparisons.

Well that is complete BS. The SNES version of the soundtrack sucked ass.

The CPS1 version had actual music samples while the SNES one had weird midi-like sampling and it sounded like they got a mariachi band to do the tune. I liked the game, but hated the music.

Super Street Fighter II's music was kinda improved but it was still kinda iffy. I never was a fan of whoever did the music conversions for Capcom in that era.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: i will have to investigate this snes vs arcade ost claim new [Re: Foxhack]
#356570 - 07/16/16 08:13 AM

> > http://www.shamoozal.com/nerdlog/games-that-pushed-the-snes-sound-card/
> >
> > dude says street fighter 2 (snes) blows away the arcade version's ost. i'm always
> up
> > for some critical comparisons.

*insert pic of Blanka with 2 left feet*

(The guy that wrote the article) : "Brilliant! It's a Masterpiece!"

>
> Well that is complete BS. The SNES version of the soundtrack sucked ass.

Agreeing more is impossible. I don't fault the SNES version, because that is what it is. But nobody should use it if they can use the arcade/CPS1 music. To use the SNES version is just embarrassing. Heck, there's lots of covers of those songs. Any of those would be better too.

LEVEL-4

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: i will have to investigate this snes vs arcade ost claim new [Re: Foxhack]
#356591 - 07/17/16 10:24 AM

The Genesis versions of the CPS1 Street Fighter 2 games had far better music than the SNES version (probably because the sound chip on the Genesis was at least similar to the YM2151 on the original arcade board)

The SNES has some games with great music (Zelda, the various Mario games, the Addams Family games, the Donkey Kong Country games, Earthworm Jim 2 and some others) but the Street Fighter games dont deserve to be on that list.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Honestly? new [Re: jopezu]
#356592 - 07/17/16 12:42 PM

> http://www.shamoozal.com/nerdlog/games-that-pushed-the-snes-sound-card/
>
> dude says street fighter 2 (snes) blows away the arcade version's ost. i'm always up
> for some critical comparisons.

Feel free to disregard the conclusions of any article written by someone who thinks the SNES (or about any console) had a "sound card".

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

That guy is on drugs! new [Re: jopezu]
#356598 - 07/17/16 06:53 PM

SNES version was crap. Way too trumpety and the sound fx sucked sweaty balls. It did the job because it was the best we had, but thats it. The music was better in SSFII, but then they screwed up the voices. DJ is a shit character btw...

I'm still pissed bout the artwork on the home versions. Am I the only one that noticed ryu/ken only had 3 fingers and 3 toes? How about no peddle cranks on the bicycles in chun-li's stage? They fixed the bikes in hyper fighting at least. No scrolling moon in ryu's stage in the snes version was a bummer as well. Hey, why does the moon scroll anyway? I mean, is time moving at an accelerated rate or something? The arcade version should've had a static moon, like the genesis version.

I'm a details kinda guy....

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: That guy is on drugs! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#356601 - 07/17/16 07:38 PM

> SNES version was crap. Way too trumpety

Oh yes. Gag!

>
> I'm still pissed bout the artwork on the home versions. Am I the only one that
> noticed ryu/ken only had 3 fingers and 3 toes?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but, as I mentioned in my other post, Blanka had 2 left feet.

But, kinda changing the subject... The artwork for SNES version of 'Art of Fighting' (an SNK game, obviously)... That's gotta be the same exact artist that's done the more recent game (well, 20+ some years since) of SNK vs Capcom. IMO, that is soooo freaking cool!

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/17/16 07:40 PM)

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: That guy is on drugs! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#356602 - 07/17/16 08:40 PM

Fire up SF on the snes, count ryu/ken's fingers and toes. You'll notice their fists are made up of 3 fingers.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: Honestly? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#356634 - 07/18/16 05:29 PM

well, the sony spc700... it was a chip.

=)

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: i will have to investigate this snes vs arcade ost claim new [Re: jopezu]
#356638 - 07/18/16 08:44 PM

Do very much agree about Castlevania IV.
So much instrumentation, great compositions,
and wonderful use of the upright double bass.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

star fox 2 new [Re: jopezu]
#356642 - 07/18/16 10:25 PM

listening to the ripped rsn files. sounds amazing. i agree about the street fighter arcade being better, but listening to the compositions on both star fox games, the snes was certainly capable. =)

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: star fox 2 new [Re: jopezu]
#356654 - 07/19/16 04:16 AM

The SNES could put out some great sound. I loved the music in Gradius III. Seems it was much easier to get decent voice from it vs. the Genesis. On, the downside, I found a lot of stuff was kinda muffled, though.

The high point of Genesis audio (for me) was the Thunderforce series. They could pound out some rock'n tunes from that thing!

My personal preference would be Genesis audio with better voice sampling.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: star fox 2 new [Re: DiodeDude]
#356659 - 07/19/16 06:34 AM

> The high point of Genesis audio (for me) was the Thunderforce series. They could
> pound out some rock'n tunes from that thing!
>

I've never played Thunderforce (and I will check it out) but... Have you ever heard the soundtrack for the game Ranger-X? I recommend checking it out.

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Some better examples than the crappy article new [Re: jopezu]
#356672 - 07/19/16 12:58 PM

> the snes was certainly capable. =)

The Starfox games all sounded kind of crappy to me, both in terms of the samples used and in terms of how listenable they are.

I agree with vram74 that some SNES games sounded muffled, but that wasn't a characteristic of the SNES's sound chip itself, that's just because the first-gen SNES games had shitty sample libraries.

Although I agree with the article's choice of Donkey Kong Country 2 and Final Fantasy VI, I'd strongly disagree with the author's choices of specific tracks.

All of these are the original SNES versions, not orchestrated versions:

Final Fantasy VI - Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72GtbNJAX0I

Chrono Trigger - Delightful Spekkio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MzLVOd-e8Y

Super Mario RPG - Happy Adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfj5pP7T2g

Super Mario RPG - Fight Against Kajidoh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNz3GFlu1Y

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8zIaaU5i_Q

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: star fox 2 new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#356673 - 07/19/16 02:18 PM

> but... Have you ever heard the soundtrack for the game Ranger-X? I recommend checking it out.

Its in my collection, but have yet to play it. Will give it a go!

> I've never played Thunderforce (and I will check it out)

Listen to TF2's second stage tune(side-scrolling). Sounds awesome through a sound system

TF3 and TF4 are a bucket fulla win as well. 4 makes me wanna head bang during boss battles.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: star fox 2 new [Re: jopezu]
#356683 - 07/20/16 03:37 AM

> listening to the ripped rsn files. sounds amazing. i agree about the street fighter
> arcade being better, but listening to the compositions on both star fox games, the
> snes was certainly capable. =)

It was.

It's just that Capcom's SNES sound guy was pretty awful.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2190